Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #77911
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarks View Post
Just joining in here. Just picked up a low mileage, barely used (9300 miles) 2003 DR650 that's been somewhat modified with Racetech suspension bits and FMF Q4 exhaust. Seems to run ok except at higher RPMs (not sure which because there's no tach) - I wonder if the jetting on the carb is off.

Haven't pulled the seat to see about intake mods yet but will do soon.

Sure is different than the K1300
Congrats! What do you mean by "except at higher rpms"? Can you describe it to us? Does it have a BST carb or something else? Airbox mods or anything?
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #77912
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDogMax View Post
I'll add my experience:

IRC GP-110- Quietest on pavement, not too good in sand at all, a little squirrely on pavement

Shinko 244- Offroad grip not as impressive as it looks, noisy as a knobby onroad, not confidence inspiring in corners

Michelin T63- Noisy onroad, good grip and feel onroad and off, wears in 3k miles but is cheap so it's my first choice

Haven't tried 606 or Kendas yet
Let us not forget the Deathwings that come on the bike from factory!

They are good for mosquito farms, dog chew toys, cushion to lay engine blocks on, and landfill!

Just don't put them on a bike and they are great!!
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #77913
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
I am surprised you didn't just cut the thing off... even if it had life in it, a tyre that cannot be removed by the side of the road is worthless anyway.
Believe me, that thought came to mind. But with my creative friends (some who are professional mechanics) success was never in doubt. Child's Play for this crew.

Also, we were working in a Hotel parking lot 250 miles from home ... at 9 PM on a Sunday night! ALL bike shops are closed on Mondays in the USA.

The Distanzia is not worthless! You can ride it flat easily at 50 mph indefinitely! Now you guys understand why I run Slime or Ride On in my tires! Can often get you home or turn a all out puncture into a slow leak.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #77914
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
I changed my 244 3 times (punctures), popping the bead by walking around it with jandals on. The 4th time however...
Copious WD40, centre stand of the DR, 90kg standing on the footpeg, pushing up on the rafter, didn't break the bead.

Now several years later, that same tyre is back on the DR and has to come off this weekend. Looking forward to it...
Any explanation as to why one 244 is easy peasy to break down and another is next to impossible? I'm stumped on this one.

I understand about tires that have been on the rim for a year or two ... but with a 244 that's only been on a few months ... what gives?
Old 06-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #77915
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post

They are good for mosquito farms, dog chew toys, cushion to lay engine blocks on, and landfill!

Not good off road, true enough! BUT ... IMHO ...
Trail Wings are OK road tires, wet roads too. The rear wears out instantly and is useless off road, but sticky on road while it lasts. (about 2000 to 3000 mi), depending.

The front, for me, worked as well as similar style tires out there, like the 705, Anakee or Distanzia. None are very good off road. OK on Fire roads and such.

I've used the T-Wing front back to back with the others. Nothing wrong with the front Trail Wing. I got 9,000 miles out of a front Trail Wing, but it was badly cupped at 8000 miles. I gave it away in Mexico. If they were cheaper, I'd still use them.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #77916
vermane
dog

Oddometer: 28
if you aussie guys could share this around i would appreciate it heaps.
someone stole my brand new dr650

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
vermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #77917
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,855
Quote:

If you have a set of Trailwings you don't want, send them this way. I have been happy with mine (granted, I don't ride anything worse than a gravel road.)
Old 06-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #77918
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
If you have a set of Trailwings you don't want, send them this way. I have been happy with mine (granted, I don't ride anything worse than a gravel road.)
Sorry- dumpster got em. They were far from new. I had about 2500 on them. They really weren't that bad on pave and hard pack dirt roads. I just remember going through some wet grass- it wasn't pretty.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #77919
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
This is something DR riders should pay attention to! If an ISDE guy can't break the bead ... I doubt anyone can. I've posted about this sort of problem before ... but I would not have guessed that the Shinko 244 would be a tough tire to break down. But I'll take Docking Pilot's word on this!

I had tremendous problems breaking the bead on my Avon Distanzias ... in one case, rode it FLAT 50 miles on pavement and it NEVER broke the bead. Took Two guys and a proper bead breaker to do it. What a PITA. (We used a giant C clamp that a buddy packs)

Some sort of decent Bead Breaker should be carried ... and one that's been tested, so you know you can do it Solo. With flat tires, friends around are always appreciated. ... and that is why I rode 50 miles on my flat, destroyed the tube (Valve stem pulled out). But with friends drinking beer and BS'ing ... the whole episode became a Party.
'08 bike

3100 miles

Original Trailwings

Four bar clamps

Two C-clamps

More "verbal lubrication" than a landing craft on D-day

One hour

WTF???
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #77920
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
My experience with the Shinko 244 was it was fine for the price. Cheap as heck. Mounted it in Cresent City California when the volcanic rock in Ore and Wash ate the T63 up.
The Shinko lasted well and did a good job. The problem was removing it. It was a real bitch to break the bead. I ride with a 3 time ISDE rider and he couldn't even break that bead. I think if I had a puncture out in the woods I'd be riding it flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
The MotionPro BeadBreaker levers work great for me. I just used them to break the bead on a 15" cruiser wheel/tire with 20K miles on it. They also double as tire levers.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #77921
trumposorousrex
NOW WHAT?

Oddometer: 310
So I was fixing the leaky base gasket and dropped the cam pin and circlips in the bottom end. I recovered one circlip with a magnet. I can't be the first one to do this. Can someone can point me it the right direction? Do I have to split the cases now?
trumposorousrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #77922
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
'08 bike

3100 miles

Original Trailwings

Four bar clamps

Two C-clamps

More "verbal lubrication" than a landing craft on D-day

One hour

WTF???
Oh my! Do you have much experience changing motorcycle tires?
One common mistake Noobs make is ... they forget to remove the Valve core from the Valve stem. YOU MUST PULL THAT core, even on a flat tire.
Any air trapped in there can make it impossible to break the bead.

There are tons more little tricks to learn. There are several good videos on this ... but most make it look way too easy.

Everyone should own a Coates Tire Machine. Pure luxury.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #77923
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Any explanation as to why one 244 is easy peasy to break down and another is next to impossible? I'm stumped on this one.

I understand about tires that have been on the rim for a year or two ... but with a 244 that's only been on a few months ... what gives?
That's all with the same tyre...

I blame the WD40 gluing it to the rim...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #77924
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Sorry- dumpster got em. They were far from new. I had about 2500 on them. They really weren't that bad on pave and hard pack dirt roads. I just remember going through some wet grass- it wasn't pretty.
I had an Avon Gripster on the rear and thought I'd pass my 5 year old nephew on his quad, slide the back around the corner, blast off and go home.

Nice lush grass.

I swear as soon as I hit the back brake, it doubled in speed. Sideways.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:00 AM   #77925
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
Not unless you have to replace it. The connector plug is external somewhere around the airbox so you can check it without taking very much apart.

Ahhhh. A light bulb goes on....

This is, I believe, the information Thump was talking about in the repair manual. At This MOMENT I don't know how to translate it into action. But I will figure it out. I include it here for background.

If This is not the information that Thump was talking about, I am hope someone will call BS.

Thanks Thump

06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote