Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #78001
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Is there a common mileage zone where the cam chain tensioner gasket starts to give way on the DR ?
19.5 K miles.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #78002
NJjeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 944
Quote:
Is there a common mileage zone where the cam chain tensioner gasket starts to give way on the DR ?
Mine began leaking at something like 27,000 miles.
NJjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #78003
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I bought my bike used with 700 miles on the clock. The rear had been lowered but not the front. Just tubes raised in triples. I put it all back to stock.

When I went back to "normal" position on the linkage, it came UP just over an Inch ... measured from ground to middle of seat.

But the Pre load had been cranked up a bit, so maybe that was the difference?
Most of the time when someone just slides the fork tubes up they don't bring them up the full 40mm that the factory method would lower the forks. That and the change in preload would explain the difference when measuring from the middle of the seat.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning

procycle screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 12:52 PM
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #78004
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
This is directly related to how far away from home you are..,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #78005
Thunderjet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Thanks guys, did not realize it could be lowered that easily. Everything I have read indicates most people think these bikes are jetted on the lean side so makes sense it could run better at higher elevation.
Going to have to visit a dealer and take a lookie lou at a DR650.

Any differences between the 2011, 2012, or 2013 models other than colors or graphics?
Thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #78006
mbieluch
n00b

Oddometer: 1
engine guards 2004 DR650

hi
I have a 2004 DR650 and use it mostly for commuting and haen't takien it off road
I want to install a set of protective engine guards in case I ever go down in the road and a luggage rack to hole side and top luggage
Maybe someone has done this and can share there experrience and let me know were I can get these

Thanks for your help
Happy trails

Mike B
mbieluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #78007
Richguzzi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbieluch View Post
hi
I want to install a set of protective engine guards in case I ever go down in the road and a luggage rack to hole side and top luggage
Maybe someone has done this and can share there experrience and let me know were I can get these
Mike B
http://www.procycle.us/ But once you get started your bank account wont thank me.....

Slow old grey haired guys with arthritis and other ailments rule!
Richguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #78008
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
More DR650 and KLR650?

POINT: Interesting that the KLR thread only has about 500 replies and the DR650 thread is, what over 5000?

Does that mean KLR guys just dont know how to use the computer? Or maybe they are just out riding? Or are there that many more DR650s versus KLRs?

POINT: Interesting that in the local Craigslist there (was) one DR650 for sale and 4 KLR650s for sale.

Does this mean that all the DR riders love their bikes and dont want to sell them, and all the KLR riders are either (a) realize they are street riders and buying street bikes (b) realize they are dirt riders and buying dirt bikes or (c) they have bought up all the DR650s locally...
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #78009
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEffinName View Post
POINT: Interesting that the KLR thread only has about 500 replies and the DR650 thread is, what over 5000?

Does that mean KLR guys just dont know how to use the computer? Or maybe they are just out riding? Or are there that many more DR650s versus KLRs?

POINT: Interesting that in the local Craigslist there (was) one DR650 for sale and 4 KLR650s for sale.

Does this mean that all the DR riders love their bikes and dont want to sell them, and all the KLR riders are either (a) realize they are street riders and buying street bikes (b) realize they are dirt riders and buying dirt bikes or (c) they have bought up all the DR650s locally...
YEP
Old 06-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #78010
NJjeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 944
[QUOTE=Thunderjet;21732951]Everything I have read indicates most people think these bikes are jetted on the lean side ....QUOTE]

All bikes are too lean from the factory.
NJjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #78011
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,588
Quote:

Replies to this thread? 78,150+ ... The number of pages depends on how many posts per page you set in your preferences.
I expect if you searched thru old threads, you'd probably find ten "KLR650 Threads". We DR riders are just more practical, and confine our remarks and observations to one place ...
The KLR was introduced ten years before the DR650SE, with one major revision. So, yes, more KLR's have been manufactured. But that doesn't necessarily mean more are still on the road ...
Old 06-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #78012
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

The KLR has consistently OUT SOLD the DR650 for about the last 15 years. I believe at one point ... (wait for it ...) it was Kawasaki's Number One Selling bike! I know, hard to believe. That may have happened just one year. Like the DR, the KLR has been in production since the Ice Age. (1984 actually) It started as a 600, then 650. There used to be a Tengai. Up until 2008 the only changes made were "BOLD NEW GRAPHICS".
Anyone remember the Purple and Green KLR's? Simply hideous!

I owned an '86 650 (revived from dead) and a NEW '98, which actually was a test bike, so I had to give it back, which I gladly did. (I was not impressed in stock form)

In '08 the bike changed, but not all that much. The suspension and brakes ARE better than the original but the Engine is nearly identical ... and amazingly they stayed with a CARB and did not go to F.I. This stunned everyone in the industry. Main change was all new body work. The bike, IMO, looks a lot better, I like the colors too. Nicer looking than our DR650, IMO.

Sales really picked up with the new KLR but then the Oil burning issues come to light and that has really hurt the KLR. Many many owners sold them off ... and now, fewer are buying new.

Until around 2006 Suzuki never spent a dime promoting the DR650. Once sales starting taking off in '06 some bright bulb at American Suzuki got the idea that maybe they should include it in some of their Ads. It's still a very paltry effort by Suzuki.

Suzuki should cut a check to ALL the ADV guys who have really been the reason for the big surge in DR650 popularity. Special thanks goes to the guys Down Under ... those OZ and Kiwi guys really pushed the bike hard, found it's limits and showed the world (the US that is) just what the bike is capable of. American Suzuki haven't a clue about any of this. I know, because I've talked to the guys in charge.

KLR's sell well because on the surface ... they LOOK like the better "Adventure Bike". It LOOKS more comfortable! (it is not!) It LOOKS like that fairing is the Bees Knees ... it IS ... except when riding off road or in deep sand in 100F heat. It's liquid cooled ... and some believe that is indication it's more reliable. It IS NOT.

Beyond that the KLR has several weaknesses. And even the DooHickey is still an issue on the new KLR ... Kawi did not totally fix it. The Frames and Sub frames still crack and shock bolts still shear off.

Savvy KLR owners deal with all this stuff, put on a better seat, better suspension and LOTS and LOTS of other things ... and at that point the KLR is a very good bike. Is it as good as the DR? Nearly so, but the DR still has the edge off road and is actually cheaper to put together and Farkle than a well fully set up KLR.

BTW: This big DR650 thread has OVER 77,000 posts (NOT 5000) and something like 14 million views. I think it's THE MOST of any motorcycle thread on all of ADV Rider. Only Jo Momma has higher numbers. (a very sad comment on the guys who frequent ADV)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #78013
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
It is Ru_Glyde. I bought a gallon jug several years ago at NAPA and it is the good stuff. It is cheap enough that there is no reason to make do with other products.
Thanks for the heads up, FC. I just picked up a gallon (their smallest and only size) from the local NAPA today. $15. Probably a lifetime supply. And it's probably just soapy water. Either way I'm now using the "pro" stuff.

My wife can now take solace in the fact that her bottles of Windex are now safe.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #78014
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbieluch View Post
hi
I have a 2004 DR650 and use it mostly for commuting and haen't takien it off road

These are quite nice, and inexpensive. I bought some of their top and side racks and they are well made, but I have not seen the engine guards up close as I didn't buy those.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 04:33 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #78015
rockard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Gretings from Costa Rica

rockard is offline   Reply With Quote