Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #78106
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
In October 2012 I paid $11,000 for my DR, but it did come with some factory Suziki extras.

MV
11,000............That buys 2 new DR's I would think.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #78107
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
I think it's too much. http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcd/3862111934.html

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #78108
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericos View Post
I thought the warranty does not cover normal wear and tear?
Correct, no warranty covers normal wear items: Clutch, brake pads/rotors, chain/sprockets et al.

But the stuff I listed in my earlier post regards the BMW are not wear items and are covered. Even warped rotors can be covered depending on your dealer if he goes to bat for you. Clutch also is questionable. Not covered on older, high mileage bike most likely, but if a year old bike lost the clutch, you may be covered. So much depends on your dealer and how good he is with dealing with the OEM warranty Rep.

On the DR650 a blown 3rd gear that destroys the entire engine is not a wear item! (Duh!). Not much else seems to fail on DR's. Seems most of the problems we hear about lately are due to machines SITTING, unused for long periods. Old fuel, water, exposure, none are good for bikes. Bikes like to be ridden ... at least once every two weeks.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #78109
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
when you loose your bike keys in indonesia its possible to have the ignition barrel broken down so far that the guys will replace the internal pins and cut you a brand new key to suit it or cut you a new key to suit your old pins. we in the west have too much money to spend our time on things like this and just throw shit away thats only half broken
Boy, ain't that the truth. And as a result very few riders can do much beyond and oil change. Remember "Shop Classes" in Jr. High School? No more.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #78110
MADurstewitz
MADMark

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Alright, I have ridden from Florida to Alaska and all over here and the Dr has been great to me so far (yes grifter, that means 3rd hasn't blown yet). When I'm back in Florida, I'm considering the 3rd gear swap as I believe that will pretty much eliminate the potential of catastrophe. I could be wrong..

So, since I'm going to tear the motor down, I have some questions for the group. If there is anything I don't like about the Dr, its that it doesn't have enough power on highway. I get it isn't a KTM or beemer, but I have been giving the 790 kit a look. I'm going to be going to south america and I need a reliable setup, so is there any consensus on the 790 effect on durability? I know power isn't free, but I figured I'd ask.

I'm also considering leaving the bore alone and going with an oversized head (pro cycle) and camshaft. I know the power gains are not as much, but I would suspect with larger valves the head should last as long or longer than the stocker and give me a little power in the process.

Fwiw, I have put about 13500 miles on the bike since I left and the valves haven't moved from where I set them. Also, is there some page with all the tricks to making a rear tire last? I will have destroyed a K60 in about 2500 miles, and everything else short of a road tire would be worse. I am very impulsive and turn down dirt trails off main roads frequently, so a road tire is no go. I know of the mefo explorer which I might try, but all the dual sport tires I ruin too quickly. I'm willing to compromise with wet both on street and in dirt so hard compound is no issue.
Do the 790. Use the motoman break in. You won't regret it. Get highway sprockets as well (16/42) I'm on interstates every day during my commute. Plenty of go. Cruises nicely.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #78111
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADurstewitz View Post
Do the 790. Use the motoman break in. You won't regret it. Get highway sprockets as well (16/42) I'm on interstates every day during my commute. Plenty of go. Cruises nicely.
How many miles do you have on your 790 now?

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #78112
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 907
2012 Dr 650

Some might remember I posted a couple of weeks ago on info on the Dr.
Well just got back from a trip from WV. had a blast

Went back to the dealer today still had the 2012 model 0 miles got them down to $5800 out the door.
I think they just want to dance a little.
So I will check back in a week or so.

So what do you think good price or what should I shoot for?

Thanks
Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #78113
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAlongAtlas1 View Post

The link to the Soft Luggage thread is here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885155

Sorry I took so long to reply. I'd love to see more inexpensive options than the table I posted a month ago. Indicating if they're waterproof or dustproof would be a bonus. My table were probably the most expensive options. They were all proof though (or 95% water proof)...one or 2 may have been slash proof as well, and supposedly didn't require racks, except where indicated. Still expensive I'm slowly starting to hear they are
That is a good Soft Luggage thread! Nice! I like the look of the Ortlieb and Wolfman ... but BOTH are quite expensive, IMO.

I've used several luggage options on my DR since 2006 and 50,000 miles.
Started off with Hard bags. (GIVI bags). Too heavy.

I've never spent a lot on soft luggage and found most items here on Flea Market or on Craig's List. Most use Rain Covers, are not 100% water proof and some not dust proof either. But cheap and expendable.

Here are a few I've used:

Happy Trails rack, used under $100 for the set. Works for just about any soft luggage. Keeps bags in nice and close, yet away from pipe. I've burnt up many bags over the years. Not with this set up.

Big Teknic bags ... found on sale several years ago ... $60 (big but not well made ... only used on two rides. Hold a TON. Too Wide, IMO.

This is not my bike ... but I use the same Nelson-Rigg bags. This is where I got the idea for them. Cheap and cheerful too!

Tourmaster Cortech bags, $75 used on Craig's list. This set destroyed in Baja mounted on my XR250R. I found another set. Not waterproof but have covers. They leak dust badly. I wouldn't pick these for Round the World but fine for shorter trips, and they are a nice size, IMO.

My Nelson-Rigg bags, found on Flea Market for $100, like new condition! Uses rain covers, very good zippers, dust proof, BIG and very well made. Lots of options for mounting them. A true RTW pannier.

I use a big duffel for a top bag when camping. A smaller one when not camping.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 12:34 PM
Old 06-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #78114
Thunderjet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post

Contacted the dealership. Seems the $5399 was before "fee's" were tacked on. Best answer I could get on the fees was "several hundred dollars"
Typical bait and switch.
Thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #78115
Thunderjet
Adventurer

Scored! Dealer close to me agreed to $5,700 OTD for a 2013. Will pick it up next weekend. A little sooner than I wanted one but have to take whats given to you when offered. Still have to pay CO taxes which are nuts but that's life.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #78116
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderjet View Post
Contacted the dealership. Seems the $5399 was before "fee's" were tacked on. Best answer I could get on the fees was "several hundred dollars"
Typical bait and switch.
The add doesnt say out the door for the price. Are dealer fees a new thing in your area?
Old 06-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #78117
Thunderjet
Adventurer

No, dealer fee's are not "new" in my area. But that dealer was in Texas, I live in Colorado. Some dealers hide the fee's then advertise a low price to get you in the shop then they spring them on you. Simple 101 motorcycle buying.

That's why, at least to me, the only price that matters is the Out The Door price.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #78118
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderjet View Post
Scored! Dealer close to me agreed to $5,700 OTD for a 2013. Will pick it up next weekend. A little sooner than I wanted one but have to take whats given to you when offered. Still have to pay CO taxes which are nuts but that's life.
I think that's a good price. My thought is if you think it's a fair price and it's something you want, you're golden. That's what I thought when I bought mine. Fair price, for me and the dealer and it's what I want. I think you'll enjoy your new bike much.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #78119
Thunderjet
Adventurer

Torn between picking it up at the stock height or having the dealer do the adjustments to lower it 40mm.
I am 5'10 and can manage the height by being on my toes at a stop. But in my inexperienced mind it would be easier to ride if the ride height was lowered.

What do you guys think, lower it or keep it stock? Its been awhile since I owned a real dual purpose bike. Some of you old timers might remember the early 70's Kawasaki Big Horn 2 stroke 350:)
Old 06-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #78120
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,767
I am 5'7" with 30" inseam and I love mine at stock height. I can tippy toe fine and already have gotten use to shifting to either side of the seat to flat foot a foot. I thought about lowering it when I bought it. Very glad I didn't! If your inseam is like mine...keep it stock height!