Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #78106
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,393
Yep, it would be much better to get an aftermarket seat than to have it lowered. In my opinion.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #78107
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderjet View Post
Torn between picking it up at the stock height or having the dealer do the adjustments to lower it 40mm.
I am 5'10 and can manage the height by being on my toes at a stop. But in my inexperienced mind it would be easier to ride if the ride height was lowered.

What do you guys think, lower it or keep it stock? Its been awhile since I owned a real dual purpose bike. Some of you old timers might remember the early 70's Kawasaki Big Horn 2 stroke 350:)
I don't know what skills and confidence you brought from the Big Horn days and I don't really think the dealer will take the forks apart to lower it by the manual. If they do the 'quick and dirty' lowering, it's 30 minutes to raise it back up.

With my 30" inseam, the DR carries a lot of weight up high and can be intimidating in low speed situations. I'd have them lower it and get your mojo back, then go up to stock.

If you're a tool guy, lower it yourself with the quick method, raise it back up when ya want.

FWIW, OBTW, YMMV, yada yada

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #78108
acesandeights
Asperger

Thing is I don't think you'll go back to higher if you go low first. If you start high I think you'll get used to it quick.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #78109
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,149
Skid Plate

Just installed one of these--IMO without a doubt one quality product
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...uki-dr650se-96
Old 06-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #78110
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,362
Quote:
Torn between picking it up at the stock height or having the dealer do the adjustments to lower it 40mm.
I am 5'10 and can manage the height by being on my toes at a stop. But in my inexperienced mind it would be easier to ride if the ride height was lowered.

What do you guys think, lower it or keep it stock? Its been awhile since I owned a real dual purpose bike. Some of you old timers might remember the early 70's Kawasaki Big Horn 2 stroke 350:)
I'm 5'6" and rode the CDT on mine at the stock height. My buddy who went with me is exactly my height and he had the dealer lower his before we left. Mine was okay most of the time but on a couple of occasions I could have wished for a lowered bike.

So last year I bought the special fork tool (as I recall, from Procycle) and lowered mine myself. It is not difficult, and for general riding I can't tell any difference except that I am now almost never conscious of the seat height.

The buddy who rode the CDT with me sold his DR and got out of dual sporting but I've two other friends locally who also ride DR650's. One of them is 5'10" and the other is 6' even. The 5'10" buddy rode mine and has about decided he will lower his.

My thought would be to take delivery at the factory height and then lower it later if the taller option leaves you with an undercurrent of concern about the height.

Finally, I bought the shortened (silver) side stand and installed it myself. If you lower it you will need to either have the stock one cut and rewelded, or buy the shorter stand to get it to act right when parked.

basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #78111
Thunderjet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Going to keep it stock height for the time being. Thanks for the input as I do appreciate it.
Thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #78112
andy from MO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Scored! Dealer close to me agreed to $5,700 OTD for a 2013. Will pick it up next weekend. A little sooner than I wanted one but have to take whats given to you when offered. Still have to pay CO taxes which are nuts but that's life.

Awesome....your going to love it....just remember the $0.18 trick (a couple small stainless washers to shim the carb needle up) that I posted about earlier....DON'T DO LIKE ME AND WAIT 1050 MILES BEFORE YOU DO IT!!!
andy from MO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #78113
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,149
Hand Guards

Installed a set of these today. They are suppose to clear the stock levers. The brake side did, the clutch side would not fully clear--ended up with the lever just out of the plane of the guard to allow for the lever ball end to clear the guard. The black ones are a good product and seem to be the best option for using the stock bars on a 2013--most of the controls are black. The end spacers that come with the kit are bare aluminum, some black paint took care of that issue. All in all pleased with the fit and finish.
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html
Old 06-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #78114
acesandeights
Asperger

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy from MO View Post

Awesome....your going to love it....just remember the $0.18 trick (a couple small stainless washers to shim the carb needle up) that I posted about earlier....DON'T DO LIKE ME AND WAIT 1050 MILES BEFORE YOU DO IT!!!
Huh, I'm 7000 miles of loving my bike and never consider carb mods.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #78115
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:

Keep in mind you are going to drop, either in the garage, at the gas station or on the trail. Most like you will drop it when you come tk a stop on uneven ground. It will happen just be prepared to get the f### out of the way! And get side cover Armor so the shifter doesn't punch a hole in the side cover.

Have fun I am 5'10 30 inch inseam also and dropped the bike more than a few times because I was unabe to get good footing on a trail when stopping.

I also owned a 350 big horn back in the day :

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

DR650 - Living the Dream!

Escaped screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 09:53 PM
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #78116
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
Keep in mind you are going to drop, either in the garage, at the gas station or on the trail. Most like you will drop it when you come to a stop on uneven ground. It will happen just be prepared to get the f### out of the way! And get side cover Armor so the shifter doesn't punch a hole in the side cover.

Have fun I am 5'10 30 inch inseam also and dropped the bike more than a few times because I was unabe to get good footing on a trail.

I also owned a 350 big horn back in the day.
My DR has been dropped <10 times since 2004. With the exception of a flat front tire, every tip over has been at walking speeds or less.

And when it starts to tip, get the F### out of the way.

Quote:
Old 06-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #78117
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
Huh, I'm 7000 miles of loving my bike and never consider carb mods.
Weirdo.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #78118
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Weirdo.

Quote:
Old 06-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #78119
panhead_pete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
Quote:
I am 5'10 and can manage the height by being on my toes at a stop.
When you pull up to stop slide your ass across the seat and you'll get one foot firmly on the ground.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:37 AM   #78120
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
That and using some brains when putting a foot down. We have several female club members under 5'4" riding full height DR-Zs which are a bit taller than the DR and not a whole lot lighter. Most also ride a 12GS. They are always interesting to watch, particularly off road where they rarely put a foot wrong. They don't have the strength to match the fellas, but they use their heads, know their bikes (keeping them centred) and have worked hard at honing ground and low speed handling skills... something that a lot of fellas never bother to practice.
Think "up hill" your foot HAS to go out on the side that's highest on a trail,an old riding buddy consistently would put his downhill side foot out and launch himself over the edge of all kinds of things.
He did this for years,almost like he enjoyed crashing onto the ground.

At 6' I can flatfoot my DR but if you cant,gotta slide over til your foot can reach easily. Ive got 28,000 miles on it and have yet to pick it up off the ground.

On the other hand my 200KTM went down in a deep creek the other day,my rt foot went out,nothing but algi covered rocks underwater and down we went.
Took most of an hour to get all the water out,just one of those things.

I NEVER ride my DR in extreme circumstances like that,it weighs twice what I do. Ive had it in water up to the bottom of the tank but it was smooth bottom gravel road stuff.