Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 05:57 AM   #78136
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
I had one that used the clamps to attach to the frame and they knocked a hole in the engine when I had a hard hit. As someone who's had a plate fail and ended up with a totaled bike, I'd say it's worth the extra to get the best you can afford. On my new bike I went with a Pat Walsh Designs skid plate that mounts to the factory rear mounts and uses rubber dampers.

I went the extra step and had the plate upgraded with welded armor and 1/2 inch rubber dampers on the entire frame tubes, but for most riders, the stock Pat Walsh plate is plenty of protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
Don't know what you had on your Tiger. On the one I installed and posted the isolation rubbers could completely deteriorate or pull out and the skid would not go anywhere. I've had the ones with C clamps on the frame and they chaffed and removed paint and were a PITA.
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:11 AM   #78137
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakingeek View Post
I On my new bike I went with a Pat Walsh Designs skid plate that mounts to the factory rear mounts and uses rubber dampers.
+1. PWD plate is thick, wide and goes all the way back to the swingarm bearings junction. Price is similar to others.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #78138
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
Some say the Procycle one doesn't go far enough back.
And if you hit too hard the rear clamp bolts can puncture your cases, I just extended mine with a 7"x6 3/4" piece of aluminum that is welded to the skid plate in front and attaches to the rear Suzuki mounts. So it now covers the whole engine and eliminates the rear clamp bolt puncture problem
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #78139
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,333
Or you can do what I did,just take that one clamp off.One of these days I will remove the plate and have a piece welding to it and use the back mounting holes.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #78140
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
I was starting to get withdrawals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ... View Post
ER70S-2 is probably passed out at his keyboard, his finger reflexively tapping the refresh button...
Last night:

This morning:

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #78141
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
And if you hit too hard the rear clamp bolts can puncture your cases, I just extended mine with a 7"x6 3/4" piece of aluminum that is welded to the skid plate in front and attaches to the rear Suzuki mounts. So it now covers the whole engine and eliminates the rear clamp bolt puncture problem

i noticed that might be a possibility so i made my plate out of 1/4" check plate wide and put the mounting clamps on the outside of the frame. i also ground the shark fin in front of the drain plug way down sao that if i REALLY hit something HARD there isnt that issue

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #78142
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
I had one that used the clamps to attach to the frame and they knocked a hole in the engine when I had a hard hit. As someone who's had a plate fail and ended up with a totaled bike, I'd say it's worth the extra to get the best you can afford. On my new bike I went with a Pat Walsh Designs skid plate that mounts to the factory rear mounts and uses rubber dampers.

I went the extra step and had the plate upgraded with welded armor and 1/2 inch rubber dampers on the entire frame tubes, but for most riders, the stock Pat Walsh plate is plenty of protection.
The best answer to this is to watch what your running into and dont blindly slam a 400 lb bike into something it doesnt have the clearance for.
Look way ahead,dont hit stuff that will smash the skidplate and bike.
DR's are very close to the ground,they can hit bottom on trail objects hard enough to launch a rider right over the bars that my 200 KTM wouldnt notice a bit.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #78143
clocklaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,956
Well, as of yesterday, I no longer have a DR650.......time for a change....y'all have fun!
clocklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #78144
begrateful
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
New to the DR650 club.... Project 2K

I just wanted to express my Thanks for all the great information that is shared on this website...

I had the the very fortunate opportunity to purchase a 2007 DR650 w/4800 miles right before Christmas for $800. Since it came with some extras I sold off what I did not want and had a net of $685. in it. I was also fortunate enough to log onto Ebay looking for a couple of small parts and found a seller who was parting out a bike that had not been listed yet. It had Front/rear RAce Tech suspension, skid plate, Pro-Taper bars with mounts, F40 muffler with mid pipe and the header with the expansion pipe, rear fender with smaller light, FCR carb, Fork Brace and K& N air Filter.
Some more looking around on a DR website and I found a great rear rack, Buell dual headlight and some other goodies... All told I have $2100. in a superb 2007 DR with a lot of stock parts to sell off....
begrateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #78145
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

I'm not sure which plate I have ... I think it's the Moose or a copy?

It's pretty solid but is too short and uses brackets to attach to lower frame rails.

I wrapped my frame rails with rubber inner tube. I bought longer bolts and added rubber washers btwn brackets & frame. Also glued down some rubber stripes to quiet it down a bit. I've taken a few hits in Death Valley and Baja .. so far so good! But NO IDEA if it would handle a really huge HIT or not. I try to avoid such things when possible. I don't ride aggressive off road and avoid super knarly trails.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #78146
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I'm not sure which plate I have ... I think it's the Moose or a copy?

It's pretty solid but is too short and uses brackets to attach to lower frame rails.

I wrapped my frame rails with rubber inner tube. I bought longer bolts and added rubber washers btwn brackets & frame. Also glued down some rubber stripes to quiet it down a bit. I've taken a few hits in Death Valley and Baja .. so far so good! But NO IDEA if it would handle a really huge HIT or not. I try to avoid such things when possible. I don't ride aggressive off road and avoid super knarly trails.
I try to avoid the Hughes hits as well. The key word "try".....

Grifter, what is that you are using for the side stand on the right side of your bike?
Old 07-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #78147
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
That's one leg from a broken Tri Pod. It's super light Alu, but the twist lock outs don't work for holding bike up ... so has to be used like you see it in the pic. I used to take it with me, but no more. But sometimes it can be nice to have a prop stand to repair a flat or do maintenance. The leg shown weighs less than a pound! It's just wedged funky style in there, not that secure. Pic is 4 years old. Bike's changed a lot since then.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #78148
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,149
Anybody have a CDI?

Thanks to help from Jeff @ ProCycle, I've diagnosed my CDI as being bad. So I need a replacement. Does anybody have one sitting around they'd let go of at a reasonable price? Best I've found so far is about $300 for a used one on eBay (with shipping), or about $200 for a new aftermarket one from Belgium.

I'm riding some of the OBDR (Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route) this week over 4th of July and was going to take the DR650, but since it's down, I'm doing it on my KLX250S. BTW if anybody wants to join us (it's me and one other guy going; he's on an XR650), DM me ASAP, as we're leaving on Wednesday and returning Sunday.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320 For Sale!
'92 TW200 (work in progress)
Rob.G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #78149
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Thanks to help from Jeff @ ProCycle, I've diagnosed my CDI as being bad. So I need a replacement. Does anybody have one sitting around they'd let go of at a reasonable price? Best I've found so far is about $300 for a used one on eBay (with shipping), or about $200 for a new aftermarket one from Belgium.

I'm riding some of the OBDR (Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route) this week over 4th of July and was going to take the DR650, but since it's down, I'm doing it on my KLX250S. BTW if anybody wants to join us (it's me and one other guy going; he's on an XR650), DM me ASAP, as we're leaving on Wednesday and returning Sunday.

Rob
Hi Rob,
Which route or sections? i rode the OBCDR Crown Jewels in combination with the WBDR last fall on my DR.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #78150
jna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Clunking sound

We did a ride from Fruita Co to Gateway Co this weekend via Glade Park and Sheep Creek this past Staurday. After riding a difficult 30 mile section of loose rock, steep climbs, and decents I stopped to take a picture and when i restarted the engine it made an audible clunk that sounded similiar to a rock hitting the bash plate. I shut it off and restared it again and the same thing happened. I know the bike was hot because we had been doing very slow technical riding in 90 plus temps at over 7500 ft. Once we reached the valley floor we were at 4500 ft. Let the bikes sit in shade for almost an hour while we had a beer, and did not hear the noise when starting up. I have heard a clunk before when shutting off the bike but that noise is more like a small wrench hitting the bash plate. Does anyone else ever hear anything like this on start up or shut down? Bike is 2009 with about 9000 miles trail was borderline brutal in places.
jna is offline   Reply With Quote