Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 05:40 AM   #78226
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Couple pics of my re-entry into DR650-dom. '07 with 1800 miles.

I'm assuming the skid plate that came on it is not the desired one as the rear mount bolts look like the ones that will hole the case if smacked hard enough.

Procycle will be getting more of my money for sure. TM40 and lowering pegs are first on the list. And the seat....what a torture device!
Old 07-03-2013, 06:00 AM   #78227
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The Suzuki manual can also be bought in paper form.

Have you priced it? If I recall, it's outrageous.

I would much prefer a paper copy over the disc I have because I have to stop what I'm doing and go in the house to look at the computer if I need to look something up. If I had the book in the garage, it's a snap.

I have had lots of different Clymer manuals all the way back to the 70's and liked them all.

Including the "first edition" from 1974 that I still use for the Penton. Had it for nearly 40 years now.

The other good thing about a hard copy is you can make notes in it and record changes you've made like jetting.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #78228
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
I would not do this unless I had data to prove that the timing, exhaust flow, compression and/or octane were such that detonation that could otherwise occur from the combination of lean mixture and improved cylinder filling the TM provides vs.the BST40 were prevented.Incorrect, as the slide rises proportionally to intake velocity for a given intersection of throttle angle and rpm. Lower air density means lower velocity, which means the slide, along with the needle attached to it, will rise less.

Regards,

Derek
I was gonna say that about the CV but you already said it nicely. As far as slide guides,are they not replaceable on the OEM DR carb?

I know my DR is supposed to be super lean with all stock jets/carb and surge and sputter and not have good throttle response,yet the plug is a nice tan,it responds fine to throttle and gets great mileage.
It doesnt snap to like a good 530KTM but it has a crank that weighs a lot,its a traveling bike that travels in the dirt.

No way would I spend the time and money to change carbs and play the jet game/airbox hacking/exhaust changing to gain power on a bike that is closer to a station wagon then a dirtbike.

If I simply turn the throttle the right way on mine,leave it that way, and work the corners pretty hard it passes all sort of shiny neato expensive bikes on dualsport rides.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #78229
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
FWIW, there are several discussions on jetting and the DR. Over the years I've left my DR's stock, no airbox mods, no jetting changes, no needle clip changes. I wanted to test the new DR so up we went. Most all of my riding is above 6500 feet and up to 10-12,000 on a regular basis.
I've found the stock jetting and carb to be excellent under all of these circumstances. So a test of the new one was in order.
The first picture is on the pull up Mt Taylor--no issues at all and pulled just fine--restarts no issue.
Second picture is looking up just below the top--still running just fine.
At the top--no issues on restart idle or anything else.
In my experience the stock jetting and airbox are well suited to these elevation changes. Just prior to the pull we were running desert roads below 5000 feet and the bike ran fine.
Overall mileage on this trip was right at 60mpg.
I've found no reason to make any changes on earlier DR and it will be the same for this one.

A first glance I thought naaaw my DR is worlds better with the PC jet kit in it and then I stopped and thought about my stock rear shock that defies all the horror stories that most other owners have about them.

Must be that when the planets align just right random parts come out working perfectly at their respective factories in Japan.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #78230
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
Couple pics of my re-entry into DR650-dom. '07 with 1800 miles.

I'm assuming the skid plate that came on it is not the desired one as the rear mount bolts look like the ones that will hole the case if smacked hard enough.

Procycle will be getting more of my money for sure. TM40 and lowering pegs are first on the list. And the seat....what a torture device!
Hah! Mine used to look just like that,bought it off a guy that commuted to work and back,never took it in the dirt. I test rode it with spiders crawling out of it.
Got down the street,it died/ran out of gas,battery was dead also.
Pushed it back,beat him down a little on price and its been trouble free ever since.
Its the 1 bike I dont sell,works for everything enough to get by.

(the Pro-Cycle lowering pegs I saw lower the pegs so far as to put your feet in danger of rocks/stumps,+ they cost a whole bunch.
They look nice though.
I tried rigid footpegs on mine for 1 ride,lotsa buzzy vibrating,I use it on the road as well as dirt so Ive stuck with rubber mounts.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #78231
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
A first glance I thought naaaw my DR is worlds better with the PC jet kit in it and then I stopped and thought about my stock rear shock that defies all the horror stories that most other owners have about them.

Must be that when the planets align just right random parts come out working perfectly at their respective factories in Japan.
They never accidently made any good stock shocks,if you weigh 140lbs the spring might be ok,there is 0 rebound damping no matter the case.
For putting to the store and back the shock is fine stock though.

Ive ridden dirtbikes since I was a small person,re-doing the shock completely on mine is easily the biggest improvement to the bike.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #78232
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,135
Sigh... Here we go again
Quote:
I would not do this unless I had data to prove that the timing, exhaust flow, compression and/or octane were such that detonation that could otherwise occur from the combination of lean mixture and improved cylinder filling the TM provides vs.the BST40 were prevented.
I did say "almost (but not quite) too lean". Obviously if you are causing detonation by lean jetting then it does not meet that criteria.

Many dyno tuners who are in the business of tuning race bikes will automatically tune for maximum power. If you set up for maximum power at sea level you will be too rich at altitude. If you jet for good drivability near the lean edge you will have a bike capable of going practically anywhere without jetting issues.

Quote:
Incorrect, as the slide rises proportionally to intake velocity for a given intersection of throttle angle and rpm. Lower air density means lower velocity, which means the slide, along with the needle attached to it, will rise less.
Sure, if you are a robot that only rides at a certain throttle position instead of maintaining speed with your throttle hand. When the slide doesn't rise as far the bike goes slower so you manually open the throttle more which will cause the slide to rise more.

If you want to ride along with a lower slide position you can do that with a TM40 - just roll off the throttle a little bit and go slower.

Given equal air and fuel flow a CV or direct slide carburetor will have to have an equal rise of the slide to maintain the same road speed. The air and fuel don't know whether the slide and needle are being lifted by vacuum or a cable.

The CV-altitude advantage is a nice theory but it doesn't hold up to real world examination. The only way it would be true is if there were some altitude compensation mechanism built into the carb that would alter the mixture.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning

procycle screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 07:48 AM
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #78233
UberKul
UberNoob

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
If I simply turn the throttle the right way on mine,leave it that way, and work the corners pretty hard it passes all sort of shiny neato expensive bikes on dualsport rides.
So well said I just had to quote it. Most bikes these days far exceed the riders capabilities. The DR is old school enough that a rider can make a few suspension mods and reach an equilibrium with the bike and riders abilities. A good rider going balls-out on the DR just means he brought the wrong bike.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #78234
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,149
Manual--OEM

[QUOTE=Rusty Rocket;21780267]Have you priced it? If I recall, it's outrageous.

I just picked up a used factory original on EBay for $49 delivered--couple of minor smudges but otherwise perfect. They are out there.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #78235
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,462
$49 delivered is still more than the Clymer (or was for me).

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #78236
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitos23 View Post
Thanks everybody for all the insights!

So,
from what I gather, the Clymer manual:
+is more convinient to work with on the bike, than the PDF
+has about the same data as in the Suzuki manual.

Got the picture. Thanks again,
Amit
Ideally, you want a copy on your hard drive that you can study in the comfort and privacy of your own home, and a hard copy you can have on your lap as you stare at your engine trying to remember the right way to reinstall that part. If you do any amount of wrenching, it will happen.
And don't overlook Youtube as a source of information. Watch enough of them and you learn to separate the good information from the BSers.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #78237
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,149
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Sigh... Here we go again
Umm what oil is best--sorry didn't mean to rehash.
Real world I have never had a stock CV carb produce over rich conditions at high altitude.
On the other hand--or wrist--I have had numerous mechanical slide carbs dump way too much fuel unless re-jetted prior to going higher.
FI is the real answer but I'm not sold on FI for dirt bikes at all. Most likely at some point I won't have a choice but until then I find the CV to be the least labor intensive for altitude changes.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #78238
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
I have never had a stock CV carb produce over rich conditions at high altitude.
On the other hand--or wrist--I have had numerous mechanical slide carbs dump way too much fuel unless re-jetted prior to going higher.
That's strictly in the jetting setup. The needle and slide don't know if they are being lifted by vacuum or by mechanical means.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #78239
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKul View Post
So well said I just had to quote it. Most bikes these days far exceed the riders capabilities. The DR is old school enough that a rider can make a few suspension mods and reach an equilibrium with the bike and riders abilities. A good rider going balls-out on the DR just means he brought the wrong bike.
Ive had several near death or dismemberment incidents riding my DR too hard,I dont do that anymore.
The bike can be pushed to a certain level but beyond that can be disastrous.
More power wouldnt make it all better.

My 530 on the other hand begs to be pushed harder and still isnt near it's limit,things get all blurry quick on it.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #78240
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
That's strictly in the jetting setup. The needle and slide don't know if they are being lifted by vacuum or by mechanical means.
Atmospheric pressure doesnt change with altitude?
A CV carb is mainly built to compensate for altitude and run cleanly doing so.
Mine must be the only one made that does so with all the complaints about them on here.