Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #78271
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
can't tell you how many times i've seen someone's multi-state ride planning report posted for all to see and give feedback...the map shows them traveling a lot of interstates out west ...
I'm one of those people. There is a reason the 'coasters call the midwest / plains the "flyover states". Some of us have to live here to generate an income that isn't subject to a bubble. While I love riding in SE Ohio, it's still 2 hours away - and that's as good as it gets in Ohio. That's why I love the DR. It allows me to get to far away places on the slab at slab speeds within a reasonable amount of time, yet still have a chance of enjoying the scenery while I'm "out west". Yes, I have a trailer, but I hate using it for anything other than retrieving a bike or helping out a friend. The DR can handle 700 mile days on the slab if necessary. I've done it in a pinch.

If you live out in the great western states and your great rides are less than an hour away count your blessings. You are indeed fortunate.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #78272
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,208
Trailer tires last 15 times longer then DR tires. I can't stand to throw good money away burning up what little tire life I get on super slab. 700 miles is half a rear tire for me.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #78273
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,166
[QUOTE=MrBob;21785447]My contribution to photos of having fun on the DR.

Looks like to me you are riding across a new National Monument
Old 07-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #78274
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Trailer tires last 15 times longer then DR tires. I can't stand to throw good money away burning up what little tire life I get on super slab. 700 miles is half a rear tire for me.
I seem to get over 6K miles out of cheap tires, so I don't worry about it. I just ride...pavement or dirt.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #78275
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick View Post
I know that the highest elevation I ever rode my dr at was in Colorado, above Webster pass, a place called radical hill, near red cone. ...
Red Cone is up there. 12,801 if I recall. Highest I ever went on a motorcycle myself. I was on a KDX 200 that was jetted for the higher altitude. It ran like a moped up there. When I got home, I put the sea level jets back in and went riding. First puddle I came to, I whacked the throttle and yanked on the bars like I had for the previous 6 days I rode in CO. Almost pulled it over backward in that puddle. BIG difference. It's probably just as pronounced on the DR.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #78276
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The Suzuki manual can also be bought in paper form.
When I got my first DR650 in 2003 it came with the factory printed manual (still have it). As I recall Suzuki was selling them for about $120 or so back then. It is very convenient.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #78277
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,209
My $0.02, one thing to remember is that an engine will never have as much power at altitude as it does down lower, even with perfect jetting. There simply aren't as many chunks of oxygen up here.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #78278
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
[QUOTE=AKASY;21786247]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
My contribution to photos of having fun on the DR.

Looks like to me you are riding across a new National Monument
The fun begins at mile marker 401.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #78279
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
FlowBee on the soapbox here. Please indulge me for a minute. I've just got to give say how much I appreciate how easy it is to adjust the valves on the DR. I'm fortunate enough to have multiple bikes (3), and I do all the wrenching myself. All of the bikes got their annual full PM this week, and all use screw/ locknuts for valve adjustment.

The last done was the BMW RT. The difference: the half hour it takes to remove all of the tupperware and the half hour it takes to replace it all on the BMW! "But the heads are exposed" you say. Yes, but you need to do a throttle body sync afterwards and THAT entails all the tupperware be removed. WTF BMW?? All those little Torx screws all over the place. Be sure to keep track of which ones go where ...! Be sure you have the special tool to pull the spark plug igniters. Be sure you have lots of room to lay out all that tupperware.

The DR took 30 minutes total, and that included pulling the side covers, seat, and tank. All of the clearances were still within specs after 5000 miles since the last check. Hint: be sure to empty a Safari tank before pulling it. It weighs 65 lbs full ! OOF!! Thanks Suzuki! I love how easy this bike is to service.

The only bike easier was the Guzzi, and that goes without saying. No bodywork to remove and you can adjust the valves while seated. With a cup of coffee by your side.

I can't imagine having to pull multiple cams and buckets to then drive down to the dealer to buy a bunch of shims (if they stock them) while the bike sits in pieces. GAAH!!!

Thanks for indulging me. Now back to our regular DR talk ....

FB
Good post, feel your pain regards BMW body work. I've found that once you've done it two or three times it goes quicker. I write down the order of
for Dis ... and RE assembly. Save time.

Shims aren't bad either once you've get down the routine. I'm not a professional mechanic but I do learn from doing a few times. The trick is to already have shims at hand BEFORE YOU BEGIN. Also, often just swapping around shims you have will work. Getting the routine and order of work is the same as the bodywork. Takes some doing to pull valve covers and cams but once your into it ... not so bad. I did a few of my Ninjas, VFR Honda, Vstrom and my 1050 Tiger. The Honda was BY FAR the hardest and had to have a friend for help and advice. Turns out they needed NO Adjustment!

The DR is child's play and can be done at the side of the road if need be. I actually did this once for a friend who got it wrong and set valves 360 degrees out. We had to do it HOT ... just winging it. Checked them again in Motel that night ... I was spot on!
When hot I just set barely lose. When cold, all good.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #78280
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
So you'll throw away more money on towing it instead...

For tax purposes I record every cent that goes into vehicles and know exactly what they cost to own and run. My company's Toyota Landcruisers cost 2.5x as much to run (cents/km) over their entire lives than my R1200GS (which are surprisingly cheap on the long haul) despite the hideous cost of keeping tyres on the bike.
My time wasted to change tires is worth a hell of a lot more.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #78281
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
Sure it does
Let's see 2 up on the interstate or 60mpg which matters to me?
Wow! fantastic Video. Knarly stuff ... I don't think me and my DR are going up there! Good going man! You guys make it look easy.

I've really got to buy a GoPro!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #78282
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
If you live out in the great western states and your great rides are less than an hour away count your blessings. You are indeed fortunate.
Come on out for a visit ...
20 minutes from my door via twisty roads and Redwoods gets you here. You may not know it .. but you've all seen this road in hundreds of TV commercials. Mostly shot from chopper.

10 minutes south ... Highway one, Sunday Morning Ride route. Not for the feint of heart!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #78283
rockydrxrvr
Multi Meter Meathead

Oddometer: 153
I answered my own question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydrxrvr View Post
My standard shoria battery is 3.5 inches tall, the upgrade in 4.13 inches tall, I cut a block of wood the dimensions of the 'upgrade' before it is shipped, to see if it would fit, only a 1/16th inch clearance, so with connectors tightened down, the bottom of the seat will 'chafe' on the connections.----- looks like a probable no=go. Any DR owners figure a way around this besides a custom remote battery box like the XRL650'S have?
I have a few elec. accessories to add on.
With the wood block test,-- sized to the larger upgrade Shorai, and the fact you must stretch and force the stock main cables upward, I would say this is a cold winters project to make an aluminum box and mount it elsewhere on the DR. Just use the 210 cranking amp regular Shoria, and keep an eye on it if you store you bike.
Anybody make a remote battery box for the DR?

stock number LFX14L2-BS12>>>>>GOOD PEOPLE TO WORK WITH<<<<<<

rockydrxrvr screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 04:49 PM
rockydrxrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #78284
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
Quote:
I'm one of those people. There is a reason the 'coasters call the midwest / plains the "flyover states". Some of us have to live here to generate an income that isn't subject to a bubble. While I love riding in SE Ohio, it's still 2 hours away - and that's as good as it gets in Ohio. That's why I love the DR. It allows me to get to far away places on the slab at slab speeds within a reasonable amount of time, yet still have a chance of enjoying the scenery while I'm "out west". Yes, I have a trailer, but I hate using it for anything other than retrieving a bike or helping out a friend. The DR can handle 700 mile days on the slab if necessary. I've done it in a pinch.

I was talking about people who toured out west. Their tour plan map had them going down interstates while in the mountains ie seeing Colorado from I-70 only. I've seen it enough to take notice it's common.

It's the screwed up US bigger is better mentality. They have 2 weeks and dammit they are going to visit all the western states. 2 weeks is barely enough for Colorado alone.

Not really sure you are talking about as far as why you live where you do? A bubble? As in everyone in the mountain states are just flipping houses or something??? That's just shallow-minded. People work hard everywhere they live. Some were born and raised in incredible place, but most chose to live where they do. It took sacrifices and effort like anything want in life. It's not fortune or luck that makes it happen, but determination and action. Many give up and stay where they are because that's all they know.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 11:48 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #78285
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post

2 weeks is barely enough for Colorado alone.
I must be especially slow. I've been touring Colorado for 6 years and found new places as recently as this morning.