Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #78301
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
I'm one of those people. There is a reason the 'coasters call the midwest / plains the "flyover states". Some of us have to live here to generate an income that isn't subject to a bubble. While I love riding in SE Ohio, it's still 2 hours away - and that's as good as it gets in Ohio. That's why I love the DR. It allows me to get to far away places on the slab at slab speeds within a reasonable amount of time, yet still have a chance of enjoying the scenery while I'm "out west". Yes, I have a trailer, but I hate using it for anything other than retrieving a bike or helping out a friend. The DR can handle 700 mile days on the slab if necessary. I've done it in a pinch.

If you live out in the great western states and your great rides are less than an hour away count your blessings. You are indeed fortunate.
I was talking about people who toured out west. Their tour plan map had them going down interstates while in the mountains ie seeing Colorado from I-70 only. I've seen it enough to take notice it's common.

It's the screwed up US bigger is better mentality. They have 2 weeks and dammit they are going to visit all the western states. 2 weeks is barely enough for Colorado alone.

Not really sure you are talking about as far as why you live where you do? A bubble? As in everyone in the mountain states are just flipping houses or something??? That's just shallow-minded. People work hard everywhere they live. Some were born and raised in incredible place, but most chose to live where they do. It took sacrifices and effort like anything want in life. It's not fortune or luck that makes it happen, but determination and action. Many give up and stay where they are because that's all they know.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 10:48 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #78302
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post

2 weeks is barely enough for Colorado alone.
I must be especially slow. I've been touring Colorado for 6 years and found new places as recently as this morning.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #78303
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
I must be especially slow. I've been touring Colorado for 6 years and found new places as recently as this morning.
I find new places all the time.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:42 AM   #78304
RideAlongAtlas1
IS GOOD ! ! !

Oddometer: 146
Riding around Perth, Western Australia

A Dr650 Youtube video is here:

http://youtu.be/djShf90lwSI

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-04-2013, 05:02 AM   #78305
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,153
Vids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Wow! fantastic Video. Knarly stuff ... I don't think me and my DR are going up there! Good going man! You guys make it look easy.

I've really got to buy a GoPro!
Me and my DR aren't going up there either At that time I was without a DR.
That was my KTM--just wanted to show why riding out West is such good riding. I'll take the DR into some rough stuff but not on a narrow snow covered ledge with a 200 foot drop off on the side
Old 07-04-2013, 05:05 AM   #78306
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,915
[QUOTE=AKASY;21781177]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Have you priced it? If I recall, it's outrageous.

I just picked up a used factory original on EBay for $49 delivered--couple of minor smudges but otherwise perfect. They are out there.
Mine came with the bike.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:06 AM   #78307
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
When I got my first DR650 in 2003 it came with the factory printed manual (still have it). As I recall Suzuki was selling them for about $120 or so back then. It is very convenient.
Paper manuals are nice at home but they don't travel nearly as well as the PDF files on my Android phone. I have one for each of my 4 bikes on the Droid and have used them several times while traveling. Yes the screen is small but having that file in my pocket is way better than nothing at all.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:07 AM   #78308
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,153
[QUOTE=eakins; 2 weeks is barely enough for Colorado alone.[/QUOTE]

Dang my planning must really suck I've been going to Colorado to ride for decades and I'm still finding new riding
Old 07-04-2013, 05:38 AM   #78309
scootac
Just a Traveler

Oddometer: 2,814
I'm going to be hanging out here for awhile....

Brought this home last night,,, an '02.
Where's the shaft drive on this damn thing???

Been awhile since I lubed and tightened a CHAIN!!!

'81 R100RT, '04 ST 1300, '02 DR 650
scootac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:56 AM   #78310
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 599
Scootac, nice bike! Welcome into the light.

AdvGrifter, that twisty bumpy road looks like heaven! I would love to be on that with my little Ducati 900 ss.
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #78311
wavygravy87
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
*Warning! Long rant with pointless bitching*

I know this is old news, but I just popped the countershaft sprocket off my friend's new 2013 DR and confirmed it had a seal retainer from the factory. This raised this question for me: "What the hell did they put that on there for?!!"

You mean to tell me that Suzuki has sold a bike since '96 with a 3rd gear that MAY explode, and screws on the NSU that MAY fall out. Both instances probably trashing the engine. And they are fine with that, obviously. BUT! They decided to make the investment to install a seal retainer to prevent a seal that MAY (BUT I'VE NEVER HEARD OF) pop out and spray oil everywhere. The 3rd gear and NSU screws are reported cases, but the seal popping out is a new one to me. They really have their priorities together huh? Take that few Yen they spend on that damn retainer and put a lockwasher and some threadlock on those NSU screws why don't you?

Let me be clear that I have been a victim of countershaft seal poppage while I was riding. It was on a 2001 Super Sherpa, I knew they were prone to it, I didn't die or blow the engine, I pushed it home and popped in a new seal I had in the toolbox. Been fine for 15k miles now. The stock seal was undersized and didnt fit tight enough.

I still never consider it an issue, but I'm wrong everyday You guys with new bikes enjoy your new seal retainers. And remember to fix your NSU screws, and hope your 3rd gear wasn't made at 4:45 on a Friday

Have a safe 4th of July!

2009 Suzuki DR650
2008 Yamaha FZ6
wavygravy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #78312
wavygravy87
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Hey nice bike scootac! That windshield is nice! I think you'll enjoy your DR.

2009 Suzuki DR650
2008 Yamaha FZ6
wavygravy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #78313
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavygravy87 View Post
You mean to tell me that Suzuki has sold a bike since '96 with a 3rd gear that MAY explode, and screws on the NSU that MAY fall out. Both instances probably trashing the engine. And they are fine with that, obviously. BUT! They decided to make the investment to install a seal retainer to prevent a seal that MAY (BUT I'VE NEVER HEARD OF) pop out and spray oil everywhere.
My wife's bike popped its seal while we were on holidays last year. Ruined a few days of that one.

And last year a couple of DR riders from New Zealand going through Canada posted in their own thread on ADV where their seals popped out repeatedly, causing them huge headaches.

I think it happens more often than you realize.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #78314
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavygravy87 View Post
I know this is old news, but I just popped the countershaft sprocket off my friend's new 2013 DR and confirmed it had a seal retainer from the factory. This raised this question for me: "What the hell did they put that on there for?!!"

You mean to tell me that Suzuki has sold a bike since '96 with a 3rd gear that MAY explode, and screws on the NSU that MAY fall out. Both instances probably trashing the engine. And they are fine with that, obviously. BUT! They decided to make the investment to install a seal retainer to prevent a seal that MAY (BUT I'VE NEVER HEARD OF) pop out and spray oil everywhere. The 3rd gear and NSU screws are reported cases, but the seal popping out is a new one to me. They really have their priorities together huh? Take that few Yen they spend on that damn retainer and put a lockwasher and some threadlock on those NSU screws why don't you?

Let me be clear that I have been a victim of countershaft seal poppage while I was riding. It was on a 2001 Super Sherpa, I knew they were prone to it, I didn't die or blow the engine, I pushed it home and popped in a new seal I had in the toolbox. Been fine for 15k miles now. The stock seal was undersized and didnt fit tight enough.

I still never consider it an issue, but I'm wrong everyday You guys with new bikes enjoy your new seal retainers. And remember to fix your NSU screws, and hope your 3rd gear wasn't made at 4:45 on a Friday

Have a safe 4th of July!
i dont know how the super sherpas oil circuit works but the DR will pump itself dry within minutes if that seal kicks out sideways

pushing out of here isnt really an option

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #78315
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,387
Just getting caught up on some of the common maladies that afflict the DR. NSU screws caught my eye and a search turned up zillions of threads that didn't point me to where the damn things are located. Is a 2009 among the bikes that should have these screws locked?
Also, I was reading an article in Wooden Boat recently about fasteners and came across what is for me a new type: Frearson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives