Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #78301
andy from MO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy from MO View Post
Thanks so much for the link! $0.18 for 2 stainless washers to shim the stock needle up a bit and surge is totally cured!!! About 30 minutes and $0.18 and PROBLEM SOLVED!

I've never been one to make a bike overly rich.....I like the 60 mpg or so with this new 2012 and my previous 1996. I'll give you an update on what 2 small washers to shim the needle up will cost me in fuel mileage. I expect about 2-3 mpg but hopefully less.

PS- I left stock idle setting alone and stock main jet alone. 1 washer helped but didn't totally eliminate the surge....2 did the trick! I'll measure the thickness of the washers with micrometer tomorrow. Thanks again guys and gals!

Stainless washers were .028" thick each so I ended up shimming the needle .056" total. I think .040-.050 would do the trick too.

CV carbs DO compensate for altitude changes a little better (but not perfectly by any means). All around I like CV carbs.....just my nickels worth.

andy from MO screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 09:44 PM
andy from MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #78302
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
No one has figured out the 3rd gear issue. Lots of questions there, fewer absolute answers.
I believe ProCycle has a beefy third gear set for sale. It's pricey when used as a deterrent. The testimony I've read tells me the third gear issue grenades the engine. I wonder if I'll someday regret not putting in the set from ProCycle.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #78303
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
I grew up in Minnesota and both weeks of summer up there are wonderful!
If only they were consecutive.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #78304
scootac
Just a Traveler

Oddometer: 3,290
Thanks for the welcome guys!
Coupla questions to start... just how common is this NSU thing I keep reading about? Bike has like 2600 miles on it. Don't know if it's been done on this bike or not. How worked up do I need to get? Neutral light works OK. The paper base gasket was changed out for the metal one according to the PO.
'Nother thing,,, no tools in the tool kit,,, so what size wrenches should I put in there? I'm thinking wrenches, screwdriver, fuses, zip ties and little roll of wire will stretch my wrenching abilities!
AND,,, will one of those PVC tool tubes fit in there or someplace else? I see Procycle has a steel one for sale,,, but $90 or so!
Thanks for the help!

'81 R100RT, '04 ST 1300, '02 DR 650
scootac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #78305
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post

I know that there are more than a couple of pictures in this thread showing the location and procedure but the search function is a bit lacking (for me anyway), try using Google and include 'advrider' in the topic. Someone may come up with a link shortly.
Bruce
The ADV search function is generally useless and has been for all the years I've been hanging around here. Googling a topic produces better results and an inmate furnishing a link () is best.
My Clymer's manual should arrive in the next few days so I can plan my attack.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #78306
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
I was talking about people who toured out west. Their tour plan map had them going down interstates while in the mountains ie seeing Colorado from I-70 only. I've seen it enough to take notice it's common.

It's the screwed up US bigger is better mentality. They have 2 weeks and dammit they are going to visit all the western states. 2 weeks is barely enough for Colorado alone.

Not really sure you are talking about as far as why you live where you do? A bubble? As in everyone in the mountain states are just flipping houses or something??? That's just shallow-minded. People work hard everywhere they live. Some were born and raised in incredible place, but most chose to live where they do. It took sacrifices and effort like anything want in life. It's not fortune or luck that makes it happen, but determination and action. Many give up and stay where they are because that's all they know.
I agree with this. There is so much to see and I just don't think I could do two week trips and such. When you add weather it gets worse. I like being able to have time to just hang in one place and wait out weather, etc. I've seen guys taking trips from the lower 48 with only two weeks total. 4 days up 4 days back and a week in the state. I do get that people have families and work etc, but how do you enjoy such a timeline?
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #78307
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I believe ProCycle has a beefy third gear set for sale. It's pricey when used as a deterrent. The testimony I've read tells me the third gear issue grenades the engine. I wonder if I'll someday regret not putting in the set from ProCycle.
When you get time, go ahead and read about this Novo 3rd gear set from the UK. Or ask Jeff at Pro Cycle. Lots of info here and a list of some of the 3rd gear failures:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424132

The fact is there is no definitive evidence ...yet ... proving the Novo gear will prevent a trans failure. The salient point I noticed in all this was when the very experienced owner of Novo in the UK said he saw no faults with the stock Suzuki 3rd gear ... or any indication that the gear box design was any way at fault for the failures. Sure, his billet gear replacement is stronger, but is it really going to end 3rd gear failures? More questions than answer on this one.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #78308
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Nordie Banned? WTF!!

Anyone notice Nordie Boy has been banned? Anyone have any idea why?
Sure, he's a wise ass ... but come on mods. He's one of the most knowledgeable and experienced DR guys that's ever showed up here.
Give me a frickin' break!

I hope he makes it back!
Old 07-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #78309
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootac View Post
Thanks for the welcome guys!
Coupla questions to start... just how common is this NSU thing I keep reading about? Bike has like 2600 miles on it. Don't know if it's been done on this bike or not. How worked up do I need to get? Neutral light works OK. The paper base gasket was changed out for the metal one according to the PO.
If one or both of the two NSU bolts falls out in can end in disaster ... or if you lead a charmed life, it will fall harmlessly into the bottom of the case to be fished out later. Most internal blow ups involve 3rd gear, but some could be from an errant NSU bolt floating around in there. The simple fix is to ask the PO of your bike if he addressed the problem, or pull off clutch side case and have a look in there. About a one hour job. If original NSU bolts are still there, then another hour or two to get in there and remove them, apply Loc Tite ... and button it all back up.

A TON of info on this thread, complete with pics and tutorials. Search and you will find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootac View Post
'Nother thing,,, no tools in the tool kit,,, so what size wrenches should I put in there? I'm thinking wrenches, screwdriver, fuses, zip ties and little roll of wire will stretch my wrenching abilities! AND,,, will one of those PVC tool tubes fit in there or someplace else? I see Procycle has a steel one for sale,,, but $90 or so! Thanks for the help!
Tool kits:
The stock tool kit is no great loss. Nothing in there is great. I've done my own kit to fit the bike and modify my kit depending on ride at hand. I also carry a nice Nut/Bolt/Washer and misc kit. Here are a couple iterations of what I've got:

Long range kit. Make sure you've got key tools for the DR, proper allens, breaker bar, telescoping magnet, valve core remover and valve core fishing tool, small socket set, tire tools, levers, bead breakers. Vise Grips, tape, electronic kit, two part Epoxy, Super Glue, patch kit, Rubber Cement, spare Master link and on and on. The more you ride and travel the better feel you'll get for what works for YOU in your tool kit.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #78310
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 666
I agree re: Nordi boy. I've never seen any thing he has done to deserve banishment.
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #78311
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 666
I need to ride with 'Grifter, my one pair of rusty pliers isn't likely to help me much
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #78312
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
If only they were consecutive.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #78313
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick View Post
I agree re: Nordi boy. I've never seen any thing he has done to deserve banishment.
Over on DRRiders he said it was because he provided a link to the DR Wiki, which apparently has a link that is illegal, or something. Banned for a week I think he said.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #78314
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Over on DRRiders he said it was because he provided a link to the DR Wiki, which apparently has a link that is illegal, or something. Banned for a week I think he said.
Damn, that's pretty strict.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #78315
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick View Post
It's an ADV rite of passage. He'll return older and wiser, like I did.