Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #78451
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
They do make 500 mile days MUCH more tolerable for those of us who must do interstate travel on the DR. It would be nice if they came off quickly/easily. Maybe some wingnuts or pip-pins?
I guess highway pegs can work ... but don't you need a back rest to really make the whole concept work? Seems to me, with your feet out in front of you ... chopper style ... that puts some pressure on your tail bone as you sort of "lean back". Maybe a big top box or something back there to lean on would make the highway pegs work best?

I often move my feet BACK to the pass pegs ... but they are too high and a bit TOO FAR back. But a change of position is always nice and does extend your ability to do a long day. Good stretching at gas stops really helps me.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #78452
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,868
the DR650 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I guess highway pegs can work ... but don't you need a back rest to really make the whole concept work? Seems to me, with your feet out in front of you ... chopper style ... that puts some pressure on your tail bone as you sort of "lean back". Maybe a big top box or something back there to lean on would make the highway pegs work best?

I often move my feet BACK to the pass pegs ... but they are too high and a bit TOO FAR back. But a change of position is always nice and does extend your ability to do a long day. Good stretching at gas stops really helps me.
Absolutely.
I use my tent and sleeping bag duffle for a backrest. HW Pegs are useless to me without it.
And my riding buddies always giving that "you got to kidding " look is the reason I left them off the PWD plate ! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #78453
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Or, you could be a real wuss like me and have your bike trucked out and then you fly to pick it up.
Living on the east coast, I do this all the time. Last time was, DR trucked to Seattle, flew out, rode offroad to Reno (2,600 miles), then flew home.
But we out did ourselves on the TAT West trip.
Bikes trucked to Trinidad Colo on the TAT. We flew into Colorado Springs and took a stretch limosine on the 200 mile trip south to get the bikes.

DR is fresh in Seattle and so am I!

My "money aint for nothing, and my chicks were never free", but that's the way ya do it
Excellent! You've got a great bunch of riding buddies there. Very elegant way to handle travel: You're making the most of the time you've got. Maybe you can get yourself and your buddies aboard a Freighter bound for the EU or S. America? Discounts?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #78454
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
I have the Happy Trail version of the bar mounted on the Pat Walsh skid plate in the same location. The footpegs fold upwards and stay, much like passenger footpegs. I strongly suggest replacing your footpegs with folding models, regardless of how wide your solid bar is.

I realize if playing in a rock garden or deep ruts this thing could be a major hazard. Forests would also be hazard. I've never had them come anywhere near close to dragging on tight corners on asphalt, but when I last dropped my bike they acted as crash bars and supported the bike without serious damage. Jay had them on his DR for his RTW trip and reported similar results. If your off-road is limited to badly rutted gravel and mild-two-track I imagine you'd be fine.

They do make 500 mile days MUCH more tolerable for those of us who must do interstate travel on the DR. It would be nice if they came off quickly/easily. Maybe some wingnuts or pip-pins ?
I ride some tight trails with the Happy Trails touring pegs on my DR. They've only really hung me up once, for a few seconds. I mounted them as high on my skid as I could. I also fabbed some brackets to lower my passenger pegs 2" or 4". It's nice to be able to move around and move my feet around on long trips. I just wish that Happy Trails had used some sturdier tubing, and possibly sturdier pegs. My setup is still in one piece, but the bar is slightly bent, and the pegs are slightly mangled too.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #78455
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Shopping for cigarette lighter type power plugs for my GPS. What are you guys running on your DR's and where are they located? I may add heated grips later on, but that's about it so I don't see a need for a fuse panel.
The GPS is mounted on my RAM unit on the handlebars.
Cycle Gear sells a 12V outlet that mounted right to my bars, and they have it on sale occasionally for around $9.99. I installed it next to my stock speedo. They don't include an inline bladefuse-holder though. I got one at the local autoparts store to crimp/solder in-line.

The Cycle Gear 12V outlet can also be a bulkhead-style mount. Mount it to any panel with enough space behind it for the body/wiring.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #78456
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAlongAtlas1 View Post
Thought I'd share this short clip

Video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-hIpJfkvJU

Picture:
[IMG][/IMG]
'Looks like you're having fun. Wear good gear, including boots, gloves, chest/back protection, and more. Protect the bike with armor too.

For soft stuff like that, an aggressive front tire, the right pressures, and learned technique can make it much easier. Find some local riders to learn what works for them.

Going straight is usually easiest with getting your weight back and giving it the gas while standing. When I get in trouble going too slow, a quick gassing in ruts or loose stuff, with an aggressive front tire on, can often straighten things out.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #78457
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Well hasn't this place been the epicenter of happenings: had an engineering argument on carbs, found Rick's toolbox lets water in but not out, high sides are dangerous and apparently anger invoking, Nordie is spending time in the pokie for felony linking, and if you admit to "trailering" you get put out by the cool kids. Some days you just can't keep up with this place!
www.advtrailerer.com?

www.advhauler.com?

www.advsleepwhileyerbuddydriveshistruck.com?

Alright, now I'm just being a ball-buster. Actually, I've trailered several bikes. I just enjoy riding more, even on the slab, unless there's lightning zapping around. I don't know why some people find the big DR barely tolerable on the slab though, while others prefer it to many pavement-biased bikes, or even hauling it with an air-conditioned/heated/dry cage.

BTW, Rick has a livewell, not a toolbox.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #78458
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Sporty View Post
Thanks for this one.
No kidding! Thanks for the DR Android app Rob!
Old 07-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #78459
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Anyone notice Nordie Boy has been banned? Anyone have any idea why?
Sure, he's a wise ass ... but come on mods. He's one of the most knowledgeable and experienced DR guys that's ever showed up here.
Give me a frickin' break!

I hope he makes it back!
I now don't know how I've never been banned. I'm at a loss.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #78460
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
In my case this is true. I chose to give up summers in Minnesota and winters in northern Florida, and a much higher income level, to fry my ass in the beauty of the west. But, I only have my sorry self to consider. An unwell parent, or children in school, for example, can make a move about impossible.
I'm happy for flatlanders who can visit the west and return home with great memories and I cut them extra slack when they drive 20mph below the speed limit on twisty canyon roads (as long as they don't freak when I pass them on the double yellow).
When I got laid off in Chicago, a job opportunity presented itself in central Florida, where almost all of my family now lives. None of them ride, but I get to see my nieces and nephews grow up. I get to see my siblings regularly. I get to see my dad and stepmom enjoying their retirement. I get to see aunts and uncles and several cousins regularly. If family wasn't so populated around here, I'd have likely gone west again. Other than family, the ocean, the gun-friendly S-Y-G politics, and some of the local riders, I'm not liking Florida much. It's hot and humid summer like 50 weeks/year around here, and it's several hours of travel to see much of anything very different.

I don't ride or drive 20 below the limit in hilly areas (I've lived in snow-covered hills), but I'd be pissed if you passed me on a double-yellow and ended up running into me to avoid an RV in the oncoming lane. I've seen plenty of locals and non-locals who can't/don't keep it in their own lane when they should.

The DR, BTW, seems to be a good bike for down here. It handles the heat well. It handles the tight sand better than a 400lb+ adv-moto or a torqueless light-weight revver. It seems happy to make the slab runs at 65MPH+ when there are no other legal and obvious routes to get someplace (like Orlando). I can also stand it up and/or haul it out by myself when I dump it in the soft stuff.

Kommando screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 02:16 PM
Old 07-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #78461
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
For those that trailer/haul the slab to ride the interesting places, why use a DR650 instead of a dirtier bike?
My next adventure on the DR650 will be about 3000 miles. At least 50% of that will be paved... a circuitous paved route (Beartooth, Chief Joseph and the like) from Rawlins, WY to the Canadian border at Glacier NP. From there it will be the mostly unpaved continental divide back down to Rawlins. In addition to the DR650 I have a "pavement princess" DL650 and a "dirty" DR350. I'd prefer the "wee" on the north bound half and the 350 on the divide; but, the DR650 is the right adventure mount for this trip cause it will do both.

OK, so I live "back east" and Rawlins, WY is 1,800 miles from my house... across the plains. That's a round trip of 3,600 miles of pavement thru some hot, windy, boring, flat country. Damn right I'm gonna trailer to Rawlins.

I've often said if I could have only 1 bike it would be a DR650. It's a Swiss army knife.

thump! screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 02:52 PM
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #78462
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Race Tech Emulator Question:

Recently an inmate here posted that he thought he unlocked the combo in the Emulators to get a nice plush ride and that he was around 180lbs I think. Blue springs I remember but the rest I don't. Unfortunately i cannot find the post again.
Anyone ?

I got my info from NC Rick @ Cogent. I have .47 springs and I weigh 195 (no gear). Oil height 135 mm measured with the fork collapsed and the spring in. 10 w oil.

Yellow spring in the Emulator and 2 turns. 10mm of preload. Hope that helps some. Everything should be the same for you, 'cept the spring rate. Contact Rick. He was very helpful.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #78463
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
My next adventure on the DR650 will be about 3000 miles. At least 50% of that will be paved... a circuitous paved route (Beartooth, Chief Joseph and the like) from Rawlins, WY to the Canadian border at Glacier NP. From there it will be the mostly unpaved continental divide back down to Rawlins. In addition to the DR650 I have a "pavement princess" DL650 and a "dirty" DR350. I'd prefer the "wee" on the north bound half and the 350 on the divide; but, the DR650 is the right adventure mount for this trip cause it will do both.

OK, so I live "back east" and Rawlins, WY is 1,800 miles from my house... across the plains. That's a round trip of 3,600 miles of pavement thru some hot, windy, boring, flat country. Damn right I'm gonna trailer to Rawlins.

I've often said if I could have only 1 bike it would be a DR650. It's a Swiss army knife.
Sounds like a great trip.

Beartooth

Glacier NP

I thought Chief Joseph was a better ride than Beartooth but you still gotta head up Beartooth.

bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #78464
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post

When on the CDR in Montana, do yourself a huge and ride the Gravely Range outside of Dillon. Your jaw will drop. Check my Forever West link below to see it. You'll be going right by it and its a shame to miss that.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #78465
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I got my info from NC Rick @ Cogent. I have .47 springs and I weigh 195 (no gear). Oil height 135 mm measured with the fork collapsed and the spring in. 10 w oil.

Yellow spring in the Emulator and 2 turns. 10mm of preload. Hope that helps some. Everything should be the same for you, 'cept the spring rate. Contact Rick. He was very helpful.
Thanks Russ !