Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #78451
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
When I got laid off in Chicago, a job opportunity presented itself in central Florida, where almost all of my family now lives. None of them ride, but I get to see my nieces and nephews grow up. I get to see my siblings regularly. I get to see my dad and stepmom enjoying their retirement. I get to see aunts and uncles and several cousins regularly. If family wasn't so populated around here, I'd have likely gone west again. Other than family, the ocean, the gun-friendly S-Y-G politics, and some of the local riders, I'm not liking Florida much. It's hot and humid summer like 50 weeks/year around here, and it's several hours of travel to see much of anything very different.

I don't ride or drive 20 below the limit in hilly areas (I've lived in snow-covered hills), but I'd be pissed if you passed me on a double-yellow and ended up running into me to avoid an RV in the oncoming lane. I've seen plenty of locals and non-locals who can't/don't keep it in their own lane when they should.

The DR, BTW, seems to be a good bike for down here. It handles the heat well. It handles the tight sand better than a 400lb+ adv-moto or a torqueless light-weight revver. It seems happy to make the slab runs at 65MPH+ when there are no other legal and obvious routes to get someplace (like Orlando). I can also stand it up and/or haul it out by myself when I dump it in the soft stuff.
When I did my 5100 mile trip back east in 2010 (CO, PA to see my sisters, Burkes Garden VA for a FSSNOC lunch, FL to see my brother and home to CO) I did less than 200 miles of Interstate - except for FL. By the time I'd seen my brother-in-law in Gainesville and my brother in Cape Corral, I had enough of FL back roads with a speed trap every 15 miles and speed limits changing at every little town (also every 15 miles or less!) to 25 or so. So when I left my brother's place I hopped on the interstate and got the hell out of FL. The rest of the trip was without interstate.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #78452
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,381
A tad over 10k miles on my 12 now.
I do have a replacement standing by. Seems like it still has life left.
Thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"

DockingPilot screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 11:34 AM
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #78453
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,761
You should be able to get a lot more than 10k out of a DR. I can appreciate the fact you have a replacement bike ready, but ride it another 50k miles before considering a replacement.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #78454
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Lol
Clearly for most I meant the counter sprocket.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #78455
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Lol
Clearly for most I meant the counter sprocket.
Hard to tell from that pic ... but I'd say you're doing well on that sprocket.
If you can take off the plate and get an IN FOCUS shot, it would expose the sprocket shoulders better. Also, take you finger and feel the tooth edges ... if they are very sharp ... this is a sure sign of wear. But to my eye yours looks OK the the teeth tips are still squared off. Here are a couple of sprockets in various states of wear:

You can see that the sprocket on the right is just slightly "hooked". Not bad but it's there. But what is more common is the shoulder wear ... and the sharpness on the teeth edges. Compare to sprocket on left, which has about 5000 miles on it. Also notice the "wells" between teeth. On a worn sprocket these "Wells" widen. Can you see the difference?

Hard riding and Hard acceleration speeds up wear a lot. Also, high speed on the interstate will wear chain and sprockets faster.

So look for shoulder wear, hooking and tooth edge sharpness. A good front sprocket will save your chain, adding about 30% to it's life. (at least)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #78456
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Will do. Thanks Grift.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #78457
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
You should be able to get a lot more than 10k out of a DR. I can appreciate the fact you have a replacement bike ready, but ride it another 50k miles before considering a replacement.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #78458
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Hard to tell from that pic ... but I'd say you're doing well on that sprocket.
If you can take off the plate and get an IN FOCUS shot, it would expose the sprocket shoulders better. Also, take you finger and feel the tooth edges ... if they are very sharp ... this is a sure sign of wear. But to my eye yours looks OK the the teeth tips are still squared off. Here are a couple of sprockets in various states of wear:

You can see that the sprocket on the right is just slightly "hooked". Not bad but it's there. But what is more common is the shoulder wear ... and the sharpness on the teeth edges. Compare to sprocket on left, which has about 5000 miles on it. Also notice the "wells" between teeth. On a worn sprocket these "Wells" widen. Can you see the difference?

Hard riding and Hard acceleration speeds up wear a lot. Also, high speed on the interstate will wear chain and sprockets faster.

So look for shoulder wear, hooking and tooth edge sharpness. A good front sprocket will save your chain, adding about 30% to it's life. (at least)
How much should I expect out of a DID xring chain having seen a bunch of dirt and highway? At 14k miles, changing the rear sprocket at 6k and the front at 9k, my chain is shot.

That said, I'd did the tat through AR and OK, trails in moab, 60 mph+ headed north, the Dalton, denali, road to McCarthy and countless other little dirt paths from time to time. I'm trying to gauge if its died too quickly or if that's just the way this dual sport deal is..

I'm used to getting about 15k on my Bandit, all street but WAY more power and torque and a thicker chain.

I have tried to clean it and use bel ray chain lube, but I get the feeling dirt sticks to the lube and acts like rubbing compound destroying the chain. I'm thinking of using automatic transmission fluid as it cleans and lubes- cleaning seems just as important to off road chain life as lubrication does.

This is my first dual sport and so I'm wondering what you all have to say. The chain didn't move after the initial stretch, but its now starting to kink and has just stretched for the first time. I'm holed up here in Fairbanks waiting for a moto shop to open tomorrow to see if they have a 525 chain 120 link (45 tooth rear sprocket), otherwise I'll have to order and wait here while its shipped. My fault, I just expected to make the lower 48 before this one would need replacement
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #78459
Indytriumph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Tell me more about the lights and what wind screen is that?

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteone View Post
Rolling some fire roads near Cheeseman Reservoir Colorado. New fairing and lighting working well. [/URL]

Indytriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #78460
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
How much should I expect out of a DID xring chain having seen a bunch of dirt and highway? At 14k miles, changing the rear sprocket at 6k and the front at 9k, my chain is shot.

That said, I'd did the tat through AR and OK, trails in moab, 60 mph+ headed north, the Dalton, denali, road to McCarthy and countless other little dirt paths from time to time. I'm trying to gauge if its died too quickly or if that's just the way this dual sport deal is..

I'm used to getting about 15k on my Bandit, all street but WAY more power and torque and a thicker chain.

I have tried to clean it and use bel ray chain lube, but I get the feeling dirt sticks to the lube and acts like rubbing compound destroying the chain. I'm thinking of using automatic transmission fluid as it cleans and lubes- cleaning seems just as important to off road chain life as lubrication does.

This is my first dual sport and so I'm wondering what you all have to say. The chain didn't move after the initial stretch, but its now starting to kink and has just stretched for the first time. I'm holed up here in Fairbanks waiting for a moto shop to open tomorrow to see if they have a 525 chain 120 link (45 tooth rear sprocket), otherwise I'll have to order and wait here while its shipped. My fault, I just expected to make the lower 48 before this one would need replacement
I'm assuming you've got the stock DID O ring chain on your bike now? If so, 14K in the conditions ridden IMHO, very good! Changing sprockets helps. My original chain only went about 12K and hardly any dirt or abuse.

It is ... IMHO ... well worth it to spring for a high quality DID X Ring chain. DID recently came out with a new line of X ring chains and I've not used one. I think the new ZVM series is slightly lighter duty than previous product. (525 VM-2)

I've used their previous 525, VM-2, X ring Gold chain on several bikes, over 200,000 miles. (Tiger 885, Vstrom, DR650) I got 25,000 miles on ALL my VM-2 DID X ring chains ... and never really managed to wear one out! It's a great chain, and next to stock you can easily see the difference. The X ring is a hunky thing by comparison. They really never stretch.

You may find the old VM-2 chain still in stock at some dealers but it's mostly discontinued and the new ZVM and VX Pro have replaced the VM-2. Try Pro Cycle, TPI, Keintech, Bike Bandit. Someone may still have the VM-2 in stock.

If not, go with the new DID X rings (ZVM or VX Pro). All are good and will last substantially longer than your original O ring chain. A Rivet link is highly recommended. DID now sell a complete KIT, with sprockets included. No idea if they are any good. I prefer OEM Suzuki sprockets because they seem to last longest.

Trans Fluid is a good lube but does not stay on long. Flys off. Bel Ray product is NOT GOOD IMO. Does not lube and collects grit. NO sticky lube for me. Trans fluid using an Auto Oiler like a Scott or other oiler is good for touring. Makes a mess but perfect for long rides in rain and such.

On the road I use 90 wt. gear oil and wipe down daily and re-oil. Cheap and excellent. Off road ... NO oil at all. Just clean with WD40 daily and wipe down. Change front sprocket at around 8K miles.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #78461
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm assuming you've got the stock DID O ring chain on your bike now? If so, 14K in the conditions ridden IMHO, very good! Changing sprockets helps. My original chain only went about 12K and hardly any dirt or abuse.

It is ... IMHO ... well worth it to spring for a high quality DID X Ring chain. DID recently came out with a new line of X ring chains and I've not used one. I think the new ZVM series is slightly lighter duty than previous product. (525 VM-2)

I've used their previous 525, VM-2, X ring Gold chain on several bikes, over 200,000 miles. (Tiger 885, Vstrom, DR650) I got 25,000 miles on ALL my VM-2 DID X ring chains ... and never really managed to wear one out! It's a great chain, and next to stock you can easily see the difference. The X ring is a hunky thing by comparison. They really never stretch.

You may find the old VM-2 chain still in stock at some dealers but it's mostly discontinued and the new ZVM and VX Pro have replaced the VM-2. Try Pro Cycle, TPI, Keintech, Bike Bandit. Someone may still have the VM-2 in stock.

If not, go with the new DID X rings (ZVM or VX Pro). All are good and will last substantially longer than your original O ring chain. A Rivet link is highly recommended. DID now sell a complete KIT, with sprockets included. No idea if they are any good. I prefer OEM Suzuki sprockets because they seem to last longest.

Trans Fluid is a good lube but does not stay on long. Flys off. Bel Ray product is NOT GOOD IMO. Does not lube and collects grit. NO sticky lube for me. Trans fluid using an Auto Oiler like a Scott or other oiler is good for touring. Makes a mess but perfect for long rides in rain and such.

On the road I use 90 wt. gear oil and wipe down daily and re-oil. Cheap and excellent. Off road ... NO oil at all. Just clean with WD40 daily and wipe down. Change front sprocket at around 8K miles.
No, this IS a vx2 x ring chain! I have been very good with chain maintenance and I have used the belray stuff because it seems to be everywhere. To clean I've used kerosene when possible and diesel when not. There is no doubt however that it is shot.. clearly kinking.

I always lube on a hot chain, and I do not skip days. I guess I wonder how it managed to do so poorly. It has to be my fault because the chain is legendary. What is really good "lube" for off road scenarios? I don't like oilers specifically due to how they act off road.

I don't want to blame the chain lube and the calcium chloride shit on the dalton.. but I do want to
Old 07-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #78462
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
No, this IS a vx2 x ring chain! I have been very good with chain maintenance and I have used the belray stuff because it seems to be everywhere. To clean I've used kerosene when possible and diesel when not. There is no doubt however that it is shot.. clearly kinking.

I always lube on a hot chain, and I do not skip days. I guess I wonder how it managed to do so poorly. It has to be my fault because the chain is legendary. What is really good "lube" for off road scenarios? I don't like oilers specifically due to how they act off road.

I don't want to blame the chain lube and the calcium chloride shit on the dalton.. but I do want to
Wow! I'm surprised the VM-2 crapped out on you so early! Bel Ray really sucks. So that could be part of the problem ... calcium chloride? Dunno.
Kero and Diesel are perfect cleaners.

Any chance you could be running your chain a bit too tight? About the only thing I can think of? Kinking is not good. Definite sign the end is near.
How far does the chain pull off the rear sprocket? That is another good measurement of wear.

I've positively hammered my DID's but I've NOT RIDDEN AS MUCH OFF ROAD, MUD, SAND AS YOU HAVE. IMO, that must be the difference. Of the 25K miles X 2 ... I've done on my two DID VM-2's on my DR, only about 3 or 4K miles was off road ... and most of that was dry sand, dirt, Desert.
I only rode some mud in Utah and Colorado, maybe 1000 miles worth total on my two rides out there.

I don't know what to suggest. The DID's are the best chains I've ever found.

Don't blame you for avoiding Auto oilers off road. The pros run NO LUBE AT ALL off road. But they can afford to put on a new chain/sprockets at every pit stop! We can't do that. But generally speaking I must say I've had the very best results with long lasting chains off road running NO LUBE at all. NO ... they won't match road going miles ... but do better than with a bunch of lube mixed up with sand. Run it dry. Wipe down and clean when you can ... especially after water crossings. Hope you can find something reasonable up in AK. Let us know what you end up with!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #78463
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:

I got many thousands of miles after my chain started kinking. I asked a friend about the kinking on his KTM chain, "So what?" was his reply.

When my chain needed to be adjusted after each of 3 or 4 consecutive 200 mile rides, I replaced it.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #78464
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Wow! I'm surprised the VM-2 crapped out on you so early! Bel Ray really sucks. So that could be part of the problem ... calcium chloride? Dunno.
Kero and Diesel are perfect cleaners.

Any chance you could be running your chain a bit too tight? About the only thing I can think of? Kinking is not good. Definite sign the end is near.
How far does the chain pull off the rear sprocket? That is another good measurement of wear.

I've positively hammered my DID's but I've NOT RIDDEN AS MUCH OFF ROAD, MUD, SAND AS YOU HAVE. IMO, that must be the difference. Of the 25K miles X 2 ... I've done on my two DID VM-2's on my DR, only about 3 or 4K miles was off road ... and most of that was dry sand, dirt, Desert.
I only rode some mud in Utah and Colorado, maybe 1000 miles worth total on my two rides out there.

I don't know what to suggest. The DID's are the best chains I've ever found.

Don't blame you for avoiding Auto oilers off road. The pros run NO LUBE AT ALL off road. But they can afford to put on a new chain/sprockets at every pit stop! We can't do that. But generally speaking I must say I've had the very best results with long lasting chains off road running NO LUBE at all. NO ... they won't match road going miles ... but do better than with a bunch of lube mixed up with sand. Run it dry. Wipe down and clean when you can ... especially after water crossings. Hope you can find something reasonable up in AK. Let us know what you end up with!
This is why I'm thinking ATF fluid in a squirt bottle might be great. I have keintechs simple stand and it takes me seconds to get the rear wheel off the ground and spinning. If atf fluid cleans lubes, but must be put on a lot, it would be perfect for off road. Once I hit off road, stop lubing until I get back on road again, yeah?

This trip has had a lot of rain (but not in Alaska! Go figure ), mud, sand, etc.. but I still think it must be either me or the lube I used. I think I'm going to carry a small squirt bottle of diesel and a small squirt bottle of atf fluid and see how it goes.

Yeah, I won't buy anything but an o ring chain. If its cheap but alright quality I'll have a DID waiting in Montana. If I can't get decent quality, I'll wait here for one to be shipped. I'm going to remove my current chain (clip type) and SOAK it overnight in kerosene and see if it loosens up. It has just stretched for the first time after break in which is usually the sign of the end
Old 07-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #78465
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
I got many thousands of miles after my chain started kinking. I asked a friend about the kinking on his KTM chain, "So what?" was his reply.

When my chain needed to be adjusted after each of 3 or 4 consecutive 200 mile rides, I replaced it.
I have heard some don't care, but I have also heard that snapped chains can be very bad. I'm headed down into Yukon and besides Whitehorse the next nearest sign of any society is Prince George BC. I guess I don't want to take the risk..