Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #78586
ninepeaks9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Yes, I've asked those questions to myself. If I can avoid riding long distance to/from both ends of the TAT, I guess my Sherpa will do fine and I don't need DR650. However, I wouldn't mind having a DR650 around to explore off road destinations in VA & WV, near my home. As far as riding the TAT solo, I don't think I'm experienced enough off road to attempt it solo.

ninepeaks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #78587
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,416
That Hot, Unused Connector behind the Headlight Shroud

Does anyone know if that hot, unused connector (brown & black wires) behind the headlight shroud uses a Suzuki specific connector? Or, is that something that could be found at an electrical store? I would like to wire my GPS into it so I don't have to reply on AA batteries for my entire, upcoming trip.

I'm sure I could just jam the wires in there but was looking for something a little more elegant/secure.

TIA.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #78588
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninepeaks9
Yes, I've asked those questions to myself. If I can avoid riding long distance to/from both ends of the TAT, I guess my Sherpa will do fine and I don't need DR650. However, I wouldn't mind having a DR650 around to explore off road destinations in VA & WV, near my home. As far as riding the TAT solo, I don't think I'm experienced enough off road to attempt it solo.
I did it solo on a DR350SE. Granted, I only rode OK, NM and part of CO (to Salida). I think the Sherpa would do just fine both getting to the TAT and on the TAT. You're just not going to be that fast on the pavement. That's OK if you're comfortable with traffic passing you, just make good use of your mirrors. The DR6 would make things much easier getting to/from the TAT and be OK on it as well. As others have said, weather will be a factor as well as how lightly you travel.

Based on some recent TAT ride reports, it looks like the Trail, in Oregon, is a real mess these days. You may want to contact inmate ABee (who just rode the TAT on a Hodaka Road Toad) for the latest updates. He should be able to give you the low down on Trail changes due to logging and private property re-routes.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #78589
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
Does anyone know if that hot, unused connector (brown & black wires) behind the headlight shroud uses a Suzuki specific connector? Or, is that something that could be found at an electrical store? I would like to wire my GPS into it so I don't have to reply on AA batteries for my entire, upcoming trip.

I'm sure I could just jam the wires in there but was looking for something a little more elegant/secure.

TIA.
I just cut my wires and spliced in what I needed., yeah it is the harness, but who cares was my thinking.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #78590
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,149
Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninepeaks9 View Post
The solo question has more to do with help than anything else. When I ride solo I have to self rescue and that figures in really far up when I choose a bike to take. I can kick a 250 off my leg when buried in deep sand--not sure I could with my DR650. Got someone along--I might take the DR, solo--I took the 250.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #78591
jeknow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I just got a letter I wrote published in this months Dirt Bike mag. They wrote an article a month ago putting down DR650's I had to set them straight. Called it a campus bike. Another ADV subscriber wrote them last month and used this forum as a reverence to also set them right. Don't put down a man's bike.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
jeknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #78592
ninepeaks9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
When we did the TAT West, we shipped out bikes to a dealer in Trinadad (now closed sadly). We then flew into Colo Springs.
There is a Allied hub in Denver though, but it's a bit of a hike down to the trail if your starting in Trinidad.
On the TAT East, I rode my 950 from Trinidad to Denver and rode right into the terminal and..............well, you get the picture.
This bit of info might save me from riding my bike to a starting point of TAT in CO. So, if I were to ship the bike out to Allied hub in Denver, I guess they'll hold it there until I pick it up? That would save me 1700 miles riding to CO.

ninepeaks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #78593
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeknow View Post
I just got a letter I wrote published in this months Dirt Bike mag. They wrote an article a month ago putting down DR650's I had to set them straight. Called it a campus bike. Another ADV subscriber wrote them last month and used this forum as a reverence to also set them right. Don't put down a man's bike.

They don't know that DR riders are crazy...we will burn their shit down!
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #78594
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,149
Dr650

Quote:

Well other than the fact that I graduated about two decades before the DR650 was first produced I would have loved to have had it as a Campus Bike It would make a good one
Old 07-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #78595
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
If you don’t over lube your chain, cleaning them is unnecessary.

And even if you think cleaning a chain is a good idea, more often than not, and depending on technique, it promotes wear by forcing crud down past the side plates and between the rollers and pin, and can damage the O rings too.

Modern chains rarely need adjusting. Once they do, its normally time to spend $s
Good post mate!
But I believe in cleaning my chain. Lots depends what you use for a chain lube. If a rider is using a Sticky/Tacky type lube ... and riding off road ... that chain/sprockets will need cleaning.

If you never go off road, and use something like a "lite" Teflon type lube, then nothing much to clean.

When you clean you shouldn't be forcing anything past plates to damage X rings ... UNLESS you are using a Wire Brush! I use a soft cloth and some WD40. When I'm using Teflon lube, I get some grit on my chain. With Teflon I simply spray on more Teflon ... then wipe it down. All clean, Grit removed. Done. But it doesn't last long ... maybe 100 miles.

With 90 wt. gear oil on multiple day rides, 400 mile days, I spend a bit more time cleaning and sometimes use some WD40, Kerosene or even Diesel to speed things up. I don't soak it ... just enough to shine up chain and remove grit off chain and sprockets.
Takes less than 3 minutes. (including wiping down rear wheel)

Off road I don't use any lube at all during the riding day. At days end I clean and lube the chain. (if I'm in one piece and still conscious )

Great comments on adjusting chains, changing CS sprockets and checking for wear. A++++ !
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #78596
SOTA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
New here I got a 2003 dr650 and I love it I've rode it a lot off road but I just got it registered and I need some good road tires I would like a 50/50 tire or maybe 70/30. I'm running a death wing up front and a Dunlop d606 in the rear the 606 is great in off road not the best on
SOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #78597
jeknow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
They don't mean it in a good way. They were inferring that it wasn't their choice for an adventure bike.

jeknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #78598
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,340
Quote:

Good job! I saw your letter in the mag. Dirt Bike has been on some kind of a KLR fetish where they had an article if not two each month about the wonders of the flacidly porcine grandiosly oversized beasts.
Not that there's anything wrong with being large.

They are dirtbike guys but dont seem aware of the following the DR has amongst those who actually want a 650 that works somewhat like a big dirtbike, yet still can do many miles of slab easily.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #78599
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninepeaks9 View Post
This bit of info might save me from riding my bike to a starting point of TAT in CO. So, if I were to ship the bike out to Allied hub in Denver, I guess they'll hold it there until I pick it up? That would save me 1700 miles riding to CO.
Yes. It's the way to go. Makes it very easy. All your gear can go on the bike during transport as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #78600
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,340
Quote:
They don't mean it in a good way. They were inferring that it wasn't their choice for an adventure bike.

They are SO used to riding the newest bike of their choice with only the latest suspension mods and every farkle known to man delivered to their door and installed by their shop mechanic that they have no real use for a DR or KLR.

Why ride an economy bike when a 2014 690 needs testing? Or a 990,or the latest GS,newest Husaberg/KTM/BETA or what ever.
DR's are below their radar.

Magazine guys are a jaded lot and dont really identify with guys who have to buy their own bikes and even work on them themselves.
They are quickly bored and need a new shinier fix regularly.