Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #78691
Hypnotizedd
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
The '98 DR650 has a bore of 100mm. The standard cylinder is plated (Nikasil or the like) and cannot be bored without replateing. AFAIK Suzuki does not make oversized piston although Wiseco and others do.
Will these be suitible?
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=221101046592
Hypnotizedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #78692
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by newride View Post
Is there any secret to getting the rear sprocket screws out more easily? I have only got 2 out of the 6 out. They just wont budge...

http://s704.photobucket.com/user/new...tml?sort=3&o=0
You might be making a common mistake DR owners make. DO NOT try to
break loose the Allen bolts on the rear sprocket ... not possible.
Get a socket on the NUTS on the other side of the sprocket. They should come right off. They are Loc Tite'd from the factory, but should break loose easily.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #78693
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
Bike Cover

I don't have a garage so rely on bike covers for some protection from the fierce western sun. Currently, I have the cover I used on my Concours, which is too big.
I originally had a cheapo unit which the sun broke down in just a few months. What bike covers are people using that fit the DR?
Old 07-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #78694
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
I've never seen a 99mm piston or heard of a motor made to run with a 99mm bore. But no, any old rings will not work. There are other critical dimensions other than the bore size. They have to be accurate in width and thickness. Some rings are tapered, some are flat.

It sounds like maybe this cylinder has been re-sleeved and then never bored to fit the piston.
Procycle is correct about the rings- Shape, depth, radial dimension etc are all important.

And you said the rings were "too small"- which on a 99mm bore should be too big.

Define "too small" for me if you would. Are they too small to go on the piston? or do they fall through the bore when you put them in? And how did you come up with the bore being 99mm? Bore gauge? Snap gauge? We are only talking .0394" difference between 99 and 100- a ruler probably isn't going to cut it.

With the smaller 99 bore they should not go in the bore square without the ends touching or overlapping (both bad). Your part # looks correct- was the ring package sealed when you got it? Maybe someone sent them back with the wrong rings in the package. I ordered stuff from partzilla about 3 weeks ago...they had the order all messed up. Didn't send some stuff I ordered, sent some stuff I didn't order. One of the packages looked to have been opened and messed with. Luckily it was the "extra" part they sent- not one I ordered. Anyone need a master cylinder for a Honda?
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #78695
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Snap gauge?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snap_gage.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #78696
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Forgive me: a Telescoping gauge.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #78697
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Vibrations

In a search of replacement for my sold away Wee DL650, I have recently tested 2 DRs. One, around 30000 kms on the clock, had no vibrations what so ever, but it had 14 teeth sprocket. Another one, 800 kms, and it vibed a lot, not shook, high frequency vibration at 3 gear around 75 km/h and up to 5 gear 130 km/h, mostly through the pegs, less through the bar.

Was the last a matter of the bike has not been broken in yet, a norm for the early mileage, or a malfunction?
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #78698
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk View Post
In a search of replacement for my sold away Wee DL650, I have recently tested 2 DRs. One, around 30000 kms on the clock, had no vibrations what so ever, but it had 14 teeth sprocket. Another one, 800 kms, and it vibed a lot, not shook, high frequency vibration at 3 gear around 75 km/h and up to 5 gear 130 km/h, mostly through the pegs, less through the bar.

Was the last a matter of the bike has not been broken in yet, a norm for the early mileage, or a malfunction?
Does it have crash bars or any aftermarket hard parts?
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #78699
singletrackjack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
stock carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
Upon entry into going through the stock carb on my '06, I think somebody has been in here before.

Can anybody confirm the stock size main jet in a bone stock carb ? What about a stock pilot jet size ?

Are all the rubber O rings and bowl gasket available direct and seperate from Suzuki ?

And who would be a good OEM Suzuki parts mailorder place to the midwest ?

While I am at it, anybody know the Suzuki parts number for the counter seal keeper on the new bikes ?

Sorry for the questions, but I just got the bike and have no service manual, and there is no Suzuki dealer anywhere near me at all.

If I could "view" a service manual and parts manual on line that would help alot. ( anybody know, a PM would be great. Dont wanna violate the rules ??)
my 07 had>>> 42.5 on the lo speed jet and 140 main -- the 140 is way too low for me - cut airbox and a 03-6500 dg muffler I run a 47.5 lo speed jet and a 160 main with the jet needle spaced up about .030 -- 6 rounds cut off the diaphram spring >>> there's the kit i ordered -- you have to tell them where you live so they can speck it out - but im at 500 feet.>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=231009145133 -- O and it's spot on -- power everywhere -- not sure about mileage but I don't care - it's all there!

singletrackjack screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 06:13 PM Reason: P/S
singletrackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #78700
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
Does it have crash bars or any aftermarket hard parts?
No, bone stock, show room condition.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #78701
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAlongAtlas1 View Post
Does anyone know if Procycle's Magnetic Sump Plug is built such that the screw-top-end hexagon part is also magnetic? Or is it just the screw-in THREAD part that is magnetic??
This is the stock part which came out of one of our bikes when I put the PC Magnetic plug in.

As I remembered, the PC plug takes a 14MM socket, and the stock one is 17MM. So that might be an easy way to figure it out.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #78702
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAlongAtlas1 View Post
1) How many km or miles, does a Safari Tank take your bike?
My first load went 520km. That's averaging, roughly, 80km per hour. I also did about 2 hours on sand @<15km hour.

2) Also do advriders ride around with their high-beam on during the day? Do you get lots of cars flickering at you?

I'm certain going around on high beam makes me more seen. I had my beam off an hour ago and a car I reckon didn't see me until the end @ 120km/h.
1.) I get roughly 50MPG (US) at 60-65MPH. This is around 80Km/US Gal at 100KPH. I can run it as low as 40MPG (US), or 64Km/US Gal, if I'm wringing the grip off off of it. A Safari 8gal tank would take me about 400 miles (640Km).

2.) I try to be conspicuous without potentially pissing everybody off. I'm likely to use a loud horn instead of a loud pipe. I use amber LED fog lights up front, aimed low. This gives me the "triangle of light", contrast of color, and better field of view in inclement weather. I also converted my front signals to marker lights. I use 4" red LED adhesive strips on the sides of my rear fender too, as well as a brake LED that flashes 3x before going solid. The DR is now more visible 360-degrees than when stock.

I also use lateral motion and hi-viz/white/reflecto on my gear/plastics, to be more visible.

Kommando screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 12:41 AM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #78703
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by malignity View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm looking at possibly getting a 2000 DR650. Its got about 22,000 miles on it. How many more miles on average will I be able to get before I'm looking at a rebuild?

With proper suspension, will a DR650 be able to achieve freeway speed with a 240lb driver and 170lb passenger?

I want a backup/guest 'dirt bike', but also would like to kill two birds with one stone and have an adventure bike for my wife and I. The XR650L is too tall for a passenger, and the KLR is too heavy to be used as a dirt bike.

I'm hoping the DR650 will fit.
Although 22K miles isn't really a whole lot, unless it's a good price and you're looking to do power mods, I'd look for something with fewer miles. People run DRs way more than 22K, but people can also kill them in that mileage too.

I don't think you'll have an issue with freeway speeds hauling 400lb if the DR650 is running right. SPACE is usually more of a consideration for hauling a passenger on a DR650. Comfort can be an issue on the short-length seat and the high passenger pegs. If you're small people, it can work. I'd recommend some comfort mods though.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #78704
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by singletrackjack View Post
my 07 had>>> 42.5 on the lo speed jet and 140 main -- the 140 is way too low for me - cut airbox and a 03-6500 dg muffler I run a 47.5 lo speed jet and a 160 main with the jet needle spaced up about .030 -- 6 rounds cut off the diaphram spring >>> there's the kit i ordered -- you have to tell them where you live so they can speck it out - but im at 500 feet.>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=231009145133 -- O and it's spot on -- power everywhere -- not sure about mileage but I don't care - it's all there!
I bought one of their kits for my KLR 250. The instructions were clear and accurate and easy to follow. The bike went from being a sputtering POS at 8,000 feet to pulling strong above 10,000 feet.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #78705
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Who uses km/USg ??? That is about as fu**** up as an American could possibly make it.
Canudians that are buying cheaper fuel south of the border?