eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #78752
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Mag drain plugs: Yes

That prior sample the "Stoners" are talking about was the Maxima Triple Ester. The Amsoil actually stayed in grade better then that according the UOA.
You can see the Amsoil is a high 40 weight still and has not sheared at all. And the TBN (Total Base Number) is very good still. This on a 1k mile sample mind you. I change my oil out at 1k mile intervals unless on long trips.
So Im a kook with motor oil ! My used bikes sell quick
1K oil changes with high quality high zoot oil. + getting oil surveys done on used oil.
That would be every two rides for me as I tend to make long days out of rides. I wonder what the operating cost of all that oil comes out to per mile?
The oil makers make their oil to last 3K minimum and tell us to run it longer then that,most bike makers are saying 6K for oil changes.
And they BUILT the things.
Many DR 650's go 60 and 70,000 miles with very little special care,and still run fine.

But,if it makes you happy, by all means keep throwing out good oil every 1K.

Id buy your used bike.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #78753
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Think hard on that. There is a great big hole in the market for a new 'outside the box' tank bag design. If they can be made to sell for the right price ProCycle could sell tons of these.
I want one and I want a saddle bag!
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:58 AM   #78754
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
1K oil changes with high quality high zoot oil. + getting oil surveys done on used oil.
That would be every two rides for me as I tend to make long days out of rides. I wonder what the operating cost of all that oil comes out to per mile?
The oil makers make their oil to last 3K minimum and tell us to run it longer then that,most bike makers are saying 6K for oil changes.
And they BUILT the things.
Many DR 650's go 60 and 70,000 miles with very little special care,and still run fine.

But,if it makes you happy, by all means keep throwing out good oil every 1K.

Id buy your used bike.
Gee Whiz Uncle Foot Dragger, I'm fairly certain I titled the post:

"For those that are interested in this stuff"

This kind of stuff just blows my skirt up is all, and I actually pay for it too with money I earned.
But your welcome to my used oil anytime..............

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #78755
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,292
Maybe we can get a federal grant for a "slightly used" oil pipeline?

Oil analysis in common in GA airplane maintenance. Certain metals appearing in large enough quantities cause panic in the owners' wallets. The discussion in the aviation community revolves around preventing premature component wear. The consensus is that disuse is the enemy. A plane engine sitting unused can develop corrosion on the cam and in the cylinders. When started, the corrosion grinds away on mating surfaces and accelerates wear. Prevention is simple...more use.

So ride, ride and ride some more. It's for the good of your engine.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:48 AM   #78756
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:

This kind of stuff just blows my skirt up is all, and I actually pay for it too with money I earned.

I found it interesting, thanks for sharing. Nothing wrong with frequent oil changes. I also keep my oil pretty fresh, changing every 1,000 to 2,000 miles. Personally the cost seems minimal to me (considering other things I waste money on).

Heck on my XT225 I will change it after a few hundred miles if I have pounded it hard on a hot day.
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:55 AM   #78757
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Yea, they use UOA's on the tugs and pilot boats all the time too. They are cheap enough. I've seen many'a reports from Blackstone from nuts like me who get into that sorta thing and post them on a website, where the oil has sheared below grade in under 3k miles. Most common, and not surprisingly, in shared gear box motorcycles. Fact is, you have no idea what's coming out of that drain hole in regards to wear metals, silicates (air filter duty) and viscos. It may have been 10w40 going in but it's not uncommon for a low grade 30 weight that's coming out the other end after xxxx miles.
I'll be the 1st to admit, it's over the top, but I just have this quirk with crazy maintenance intervals

But like I mentioned earlier, when I sell a bike and I hand the prospective buyer a stack of UOA's on the bike and he see's my oil drain intervals, the bike is always sold on the spot. I would say I recoup the cost in the top dollar resale value.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:20 AM   #78758
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,960
1997 DR with 16K miles on San Diego Craigslist. $1950

No connection to the seller but thought I'd pass it on in case it fit somebody's needs.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #78759
MrBob
Geezers Rule

Oddometer: 7,527
Quote:
Yea, they use UOA's on the tugs and pilot boats all the time too. They are cheap enough. I've seen many'a reports from Blackstone from nuts like me who get into that sorta thing and post them on a website, where the oil has sheared below grade in under 3k miles. Most common, and not surprisingly, in shared gear box motorcycles. Fact is, you have no idea what's coming out of that drain hole in regards to wear metals, silicates (air filter duty) and viscos. It may have been 10w40 going in but it's not uncommon for a low grade 30 weight that's coming out the other end after xxxx miles.
I'll be the 1st to admit, it's over the top, but I just have this quirk with crazy maintenance intervals

But like I mentioned earlier, when I sell a bike and I hand the prospective buyer a stack of UOA's on the bike and he see's my oil drain intervals, the bike is always sold on the spot. I would say I recoup the cost in the top dollar resale value.
Don't be introducing facts into a discussion about oil. We all know the best information is opinion and anecdote.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:34 AM   #78760
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Don't be introducing facts into a discussion about oil. We all know the best information is opinion and anecdote.
Lol !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-17-2013, 06:34 AM   #78761
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,960
Just a quick thanks to Warp9 for quick shipping and great service on my new additions. Got the "no squeal" starter cap, lever set and an engine plug set.

Thx!

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:39 AM   #78762
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Look what opened up near me!

Had to take a second look when I saw it
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #78763
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,785
Quote:

Consider all this country is going through to get oil,and it will get more extreme in the future.

As good Americans it's our duty to barely use it and toss it out,cost is irrelevant.

Just kidding, and you would be a natural KTM 500 owner.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #78764
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
1K oil changes with high quality high zoot oil. + getting oil surveys ...

Id buy your used bike.
Hell, I'd buy his used oil!
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #78765
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,473
Quote:

Just curious about your intervals though. If your oil analysis is saying your oil is still good at 1000, why not run it to 1500? Blackstone usually recommend that anyway don't they? I thought that was the point of oil analysis.

I got a few samples checked with Blackstone years ago when I switched to Amsoil, mainly to see if I could go the Amsoil recommended twice the drain interval of the manufacturer. My oil tests on my Kawasaki Meanstreak (liquid cooled big twin) and BMW R1200RT (air/oil cooled twin)showed the oil to still be in spec well after the recommended drain interval. I didn't put enough miles on those bikes to double the drain interval with our short riding season in Canada but I was comfortable enough with the results to change the oil in the fall when the bikes get winterized and then just ride all spring/summer/fall.

I also hand the new owner of any of our bikes sold a detailed maintenance log and they all seem surprised and pleased as well. Most bikes just get ridden and put away with little regard for maintenance so I think buyers are surprised to find one that's actually been looked after.

I'd rather buy tires than oil. I've been known to replace a few tires before their time, but that's another discussion.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote