Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 05:40 AM   #78826
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhichWayNow View Post
I have to give a big thanks to everyone who said to check the side stand switch.

I jumpered it out this evening and took the bike for a test ride. It ran great! No stumbles at all.

The way it was acting, I don't think I would have guessed that would have been the problem.

Once again, Thank you everyone!
It's a great feeling when the emotion turns from "what kind of exotic high cost problem do I have?" to "fixed it on the cheap". It's a feeling on par with hitting the snooze button a few extra times.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:54 AM   #78827
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
It's a feeling on par with hitting the snooze button a few extra times.
It's only that if you haven't already spent hours trying the more complicated theories.

When you find a simple solution after spending hours troubleshooting and replacing good parts, then it's a head banger. Ask me how I know.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 06:09 AM
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #78828
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
Not going to be slab only. More like a true 50 / 50.

So what options are available in both the seat concepts and the Sergeant both foam wise and covers ?

Narrow up front by the tank is nice, but midway back is most important for long highway stretches comfortwise.
With the SEAT CONCEPTS SEAT, get the standard vinyl. the gripper cover is too tacky and inhibits sliding around easily. They are great in offroad competition, but too sticky for the DR, IMO. I got the tall version w/ std vinyl and like it very much.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #78829
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,775
Quote:
How was the firmness between the two ? How did they compare at say a 200 mile point if you just stayed seated and rode slab a long ways ?

Im trying to see a comparison between them for when you just sit and log miles.....not mega miles, but for those days you have to grind out alot of smooth road miles just sitting.

I allready am in the habit of standing for no reason and constantly change my body position on all the bad seats.
Seats are a personal thing,asking someone else to pick a seat for you wont tell you much.
If you like good hard seat get a firm seat. Otherwise normal rate foam can be good. Seat Concepts has a website that can show you just what they sell.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #78830
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Seats are a personal thing,asking someone else to pick a seat for you wont tell you much.
If you like good hard seat get a firm seat. Otherwise normal rate foam can be good. Seat Concepts has a website that can show you just what they sell.
I agree...never ask someone to pick your seat.

My Seat Concepts kit is on the way. I hope I like it. If I don't, I'll sell it and move on to another.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #78831
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
It's only that if you haven't already spent hours trying the more complicated theories.

When you find a simple solution after spending hours troubleshooting and replacing good parts, then it's a head banger. Ask me how I know.
Just chaulk it up to doing your part to stimulate the economy.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #78832
MrBob
Geezers Rule

Oddometer: 7,513
Quote:

My Seat Concepts kit is on the way. I hope I like it. If I don't, I'll sell it and move on to another.
This is all so subjective, but I'm on my third SC seat for 50/50 riding and I've been happy with all of them.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #78833
tlmaffucci
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Motorcycle day, Got my bike

Well, after intensive research on what bike to purchase, I got my DR650SE. I love it, it's great. Just took it for a ride, first time on a motorcycle actually, lol. Let me know what you guys think.

Ignore my fathers work car, lol. And no, he did not buy it for me. I had to save up for this bad boy. :) I'm quite proud.
tlmaffucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #78834
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmaffucci View Post
Well, after intensive research on what bike to purchase, I got my DR650SE. I love it, it's great. Just took it for a ride, first time on a motorcycle actually, lol. Let me know what you guys think.

Ignore my fathers work car, lol. And no, he did not buy it for me. I had to save up for this bad boy. :) I'm quite proud.
Your gonna love it! Enjoy!
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #78835
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmaffucci View Post
Well, after intensive research on what bike to purchase, I got my DR650SE. I had to save up for this bad boy. :) I'm quite proud.
As you should be. Good platform to start with, learn on and make your own if you choose. Congrats.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #78836
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
How was the firmness between the two ? How did they compare at say a 200 mile point if you just stayed seated and rode slab a long ways ?

Im trying to see a comparison between them for when you just sit and log miles.....not mega miles, but for those days you have to grind out alot of smooth road miles just sitting.

I allready am in the habit of standing for no reason and constantly change my body position on all the bad seats.
I've not ridden on either seat ... seems both get good reviews. But how many guys here really do super long days? Not many. I can tell you from experience on the DR and many other bikes ... that one key element that adds miles with a seat is WIDTH. A wider seat is more comfortable over a long day. I've seen pics and it looks like the Sargent is a bit wider than the Seat Concepts.

Quality of foam is also critical. Some don't like a firm seat ... but on a long day that firmness is not a bad thing. Also, density seems to make a difference. Some critic Corbin for being too heavy. Yes, it's a heavy seat but that density helps reduce vibes to the rider. Less fatigue on a long day.

My leather covered Corbin is quite firm and works well on 400 mile days. The downside is that the Corbin is a bit too wide up at the front ... and that can bother some riders when standing, riding off road. I've adapted to it ... but I admit, it's not ideal when standing.

Wide is GOOD!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #78837
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post

Yep, been there! The worst is when a shop gets hold of you and charges you for all their guessing and screwing around ... at $70 to $80 an hour.

Another big plus for the DIY friendly DR650. Imagine what would happen if you had a new BMW R1200GS (water cooled), or a new Ducati Multistrada. A true nightmare for diagnosis ... which even stumps the experts at the dealers.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #78838
Richguzzi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
As you should be. Good platform to start with, learn on and make your own if you choose. Congrats.

And you got one of the really rare, super fast white ones! Killer!

Slow old grey haired guys with arthritis and other ailments rule!
Richguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #78839
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 665
Quote:

I am fully aware of this having played the musical seat game on several touring bikes.

Trying to avoid a avoidable mistake right off the bat. I know what I want mostly, but without being able to hold them in my hands side by side its a expensive crap shoot.

Just trying to get the right one first. I know I dont want a "grippy" cover....smooth so you can slide around a bit is what I want.

Now I wonder if the "Regular" foam from seat concepts is softer than the stock OEM Suzuki foam ? Is Seat concepts "Firm" foam similar to stock Suzuki ?

Lastly what are sergents foams and how do they compare ?
Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #78840
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,945
As mentioned, seats are almost as personal as, well, what's sitting on them. I have the SC standard foam and it is softer than the stocker. Best description for me is it sinks in but firms up enough to be supportive. The guys at SC will answer questions for you too and guide you to the right foam.

Sorry for the angle, but here's the stock next to SC. The stock is about 7 inches wide at it's widest and crowned a bit. The SC is 10" and flat. I scoot back onto that portion for a break while on the slab.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote