Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #78901
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
Quick question, whats the true actual capacity of the stock DR fuel tank ?

And, what a real world distance you can get outta reserve if you ride gentle trying to milk the most MPG outta the reserve portion ?
I always run til reserve (light traffic). I've frequently ridden 35 miles on reserve (with a knot in my tummy ) I never had trouble with fuel remaining in the right tank lobe, I don't know why. I did the run til empty test with a spare gallon on board: I got 39 miles on reserve, milking the mileage. This was on pavement and I didn't have to tip the bike to get the last of fuel across the hump. fwiw: this has me

For reference, 90% of the time I get to 160 before hitting reserve. Disclaimer: I ride at 6000+ feet and am jetted accordingly.

So, to answer the question, my stock DR tank holds very close to 3.4 gallons. The Kalif bikes are advertised at 3.2 gallons.

Luckily I had the camera along when I did this. No coasting but light throttle. Also on pavement, nothing to jiggle the fuel over the hump.

It's been said that this can't be done, but I have pics.

Note odometer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
DRF Post#3
Got a TR650 now (6 years later) they are pretty good too (fark they go). Still a DR fan... but.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
I decided to do the fix but my connectors were small pins and I didn't have anything to make a good jumper with so I cut/soldered, shrink wrapped and tucked it all away.
Just rode it hard on pavement and dirt and couldn't get the cutting out symptoms to reappear so I think that must have been it.
8gv:
Could you add a note to your post about this in the Index, please. Then guys won't freak out if they find pins instead of blades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Sota, might i suggest you go to the very beginning of this thread ... and start reading? I've noticed you've started MULTIPLE threads on Thumpers asking basic NOOB questions about the DR650 that have already been answered 10,000 times in this thread. All ya gotta do is read mate.

The real answers are HERE ... and are from actual DR owners, not random idiot NON DR650 riders that populate the Thumpers forum.

Well, there is that.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 12:15 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #78902
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
This is why Im asking. I dont have the bike rideable at this point and short of starting with a bone dry tank, filling it to the top, running it till I hit reserve, setting the trip meter right then, riding real easy till it runs dry, would I know the real world reserve distance its capeable of.

Just gettin ballpark numbers for a referance point.
I'd want more than ball park figures if you ever ride any where off the beaten path. When you get your bike on the road .. ride until reserve, NOTE MILEAGE, Zero out ODO.

Now strap a little 2 gallon gas jug on your bike and ride until reserve runs out. NOTE MILEAGE.
Now, just add minimal amount of fuel to get to gas station. Fill up, note how much it takes minus amount added from fuel jug. From that you can figure MPG (mas o menos)

If you ZERO your ODO at every fill up ... then you will know how far you can go until reserve and at fill ups you can calculate your MPG. And using the method above, you'll know reserve distance as well. With a stock tank, this, IMO, is a must do thing.

When riding the Suzuki DR650 press bike (all stock) I ran the damn thing out of gas 3 times! It won't go far if you hammer it, that much is for sure.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #78903
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
DRF Post#3
Got a TR650 now (6 years later) they are pretty good too (fark they go). Still a DR fan... but.

Lots of time and miles under the bridge eh?
I'd love to hear a long range report on your Terra experience after a season or two of riding. And of course ... you'd be The Man to do a point by point comparo of the Terra vs. DR650.

I'm seriously shopping this bike ... but feeling pressure as I fear they will ALL be gone very soon. For good? Man, hope not. I've only done a brief test ride. Good in every way. Only question for me is how good a long range travel bike would it be? Like RTW. And really, how tough a bike is it?
Anyway, any comments would be interesting once you have some feedback.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #78904
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,198
Quote:
comparo of the Terra vs. DR650.

The one point I can't get past is the weight difference. Like 50+ pounds heavier for the Husq.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #78905
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,832
Sargent. No welts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #78906
shu

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
NOW you guys post this... one day after me ordering my first Sargeant, and with specific colored 'piping' (or welt).

Is it really that noticeable?!
No worries. Mine has a welt- I never notice it at all.

..............shu
shu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #78907
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
I'd want more than ball park figures if you ever ride any where off the beaten path. When you get your bike on the road .. ride until reserve, NOTE MILEAGE, Zero out ODO.

Now strap a little 2 gallon gas jug on your bike and ride until reserve runs out. NOTE MILEAGE.
Now, just add minimal amount of fuel to get to gas station. Fill up, note how much it takes minus amount added from fuel jug. From that you can figure MPG (mas o menos)

If you ZERO your ODO at every fill up ... then you will know how far you can go until reserve and at fill ups you can calculate your MPG. And using the method above, you'll know reserve distance as well. With a stock tank, this, IMO, is a must do thing.

When riding the Suzuki DR650 press bike (all stock) I ran the damn thing out of gas 3 times! It won't go far if you hammer it, that much is for sure.
Range varies substantially with the type of riding. Riding hard I get low 50's mpg (US). OTOH, light usage delivers high 50's. Based on a 4.5 gallon fillup, that can be a 30-50 mile difference. That can be important in some places. There are places on the TAT where there is no gas available for close to 200 miles. I never count on more than 50mpg. More than that is a bonus.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #78908
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
Range varies substantially with the type of riding. Riding hard I get low 50's mpg (US). OTOH, light usage delivers high 50's. Based on a 4.5 gallon fillup, that can be a 30-50 mile difference. That can be important in some places. There are places on the TAT where there is no gas available for close to 200 miles. I never count on more than 50mpg. More than that is a bonus.
Denio Junction to Lakeview Ore the longest at 225 if I remember right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #78909
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
Sota, might i suggest you go to the very beginning of this thread ... and start reading? I've noticed you've started MULTIPLE threads on Thumpers asking basic NOOB questions about the DR650 that have already been answered 10,000 times in this thread. All ya gotta do is read mate.

The real answers are HERE ... and are from actual DR owners, not random idiot NON DR650 riders that populate the Thumpers forum.
Yeah.............
Old 07-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #78910
Magnum Noel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
This is why Im asking. I dont have the bike rideable at this point and short of starting with a bone dry tank, filling it to the top, running it till I hit reserve, setting the trip meter right then, riding real easy till it runs dry, would I know the real world reserve distance its capeable of.

Just gettin ballpark numbers for a referance point.
Ok mine hits about 190klms before reserve and I have carried on to 260klms. That was driving very carfully. I must admit getting a bit worried until I reached the servo.
Magnum Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #78911
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
For reference, 90% of the time I get to 160 before hitting reserve.
Mother of God...

I hit 95 miles, or 102 to - at the most one time - 107 before hitting reserve.

Jetted accordingly for 11 feet above sea level (I think, and the bike and plugs seem to agree).
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #78912
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
The one point I can't get past is the weight difference. Like 50+ pounds heavier for the Husq.
Better, larger forks (& rear suspension), stiffer frame, and the beefiness to be able to create more power?

That would cover it for me. If the DR650 had 50 more pounds but very high quality suspension I guess I'd be just as happy with it, but it doesn't - which is why I don't own a KLR650 since it seems to give nothing for its weight.

Edit: Oh Jesus, and Brembo Brakes?!! Yeah, I'd be content.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #78913
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Noel View Post
Ok mine hits about 190klms before reserve and I have carried on to 260klms. That was driving very carfully. I must admit getting a bit worried until I reached the servo.
Here we go again with the km's...
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #78914
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,228
On my first DR650 trip last weekend I got 148 and 144 statute miles when reserved was required. Almost immediately afterward, I pumped 2.9 gallons to fill it both times. I have the Raptor fuel tap from ProCycle. I wonder if it gives less run and more reserve.
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #78915
SkunkWizard
recycle crime scene tape

Oddometer: 610
Stock pipe header weld

I ground the weld years ago and it cracked this summer. this time I hope I solved the problem.
I welded to back side where it has more purchase. the mount for the primary fit well.
after a good scrub and 5 minutes on the buffer & some juice I heard about from MX Rob, the pipe cleaned up.
I even broke down and spent the $2.75 on a new gasket (I'm cheap)
I working on a new heat shield to swag it up some prolly use carbon fiber & Kevlar

going back together I used a dab of anti-seize on the bolts (I recommend this)

(SW still on the lurk here)
SkunkWizard is offline   Reply With Quote