Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #78946
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-P View Post
Am I missing something here? People are talking about stuffing planks in the spokes of their rear wheel, or rags in between gears - seems risky to me. I just used a long screwdriver and zip ties to pull on the rear brake lever so it held the rear wheel tight. Picture (bad quality) here: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=65426

Shoving rags between gears puts large side loads on them - they may be able, or designed to take the side loading, but I just don't know that.

Using the spoke to stop rotational force seems like a losing proposition. I know many have done it, but I have also read of failures and requests for emergency parts from other inmates when it was done.

The rear brake was designed to stop the bike at full speed - I don't think it will be harmed in this manner.

Just my 2
I was the one who broke the spoke. I'd gotten away with this years ago on several bikes. Of the alternatives suggested, I like the rear brake lock idea the best. It seems to distribute the torque load across several components. Thanks for the idea.
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #78947
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Thumb Just ordered the crash bar racks.

Not a bad deal for $99 to the front door.
Now I need to find a set of saddle bags.

http://www.dirtracks.com/product/suz...de-crash-bars/
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #78948
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,253
Quote:
I'd rather not have either - gotta love Nevada!
I grew up by Chicago but I am so glad to be in New Mex for riding. (Of course yesterday I grazed a cow on my GTR14, not likely to happen back East). 200 miles of great roads yesterday, dirt trails on the way home from coffee BS this AM, and heading to Colorado for high elevation next week . Of course will have my Butler maps with me.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #78949
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
Not a bad deal for $99 to the front door.
Now I need to find a set of saddle bags.

http://www.dirtracks.com/product/suz...de-crash-bars/
http://www.dirtracks.com/catalog/suz...se-bike-racks/
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #78950
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
After nearly 40 years of rideing, mega distance days have no appeal to me.

Been there, done that decades ago. Actually a waste of fuel mostly, dont remember even a fraction of what I went past.

But, give me a 500 mile day, with alot of stops to see the sights and smell the roses all day long, and thats what the DR is goin to be for !
That's more my speed too ... 250 to 400 mile days seem to be about the right distance. But unless it's ALL Super Slab and you're average speeds are over 80 mph ... then a 500 mile day will use up about 12 hours or more and mean very short stops. Got Daylight?

If you're dual sporting and riding dirt roads or trails ... then of course expect even shorter distances ... but still very long days. 10 to 12 hours is my limit, especially if you're stringing five to six days together. I'm sure the kids can do longer days ... I'm past that.

Can't count all the days in Baja where we arrived at our destination in the Dark! Add a few breakdowns, flats and crashes and some guys would be getting in at 2 am! Don't make a habit of that! (screws you the next day!)

More realistic days are what works for me. Photo stops, coffee breaks and just taking your eyes off the road for a while.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #78951
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
....against me here as the questions are both non DR and are oil related but I respect the collective moto knowledge on the DR thread and I'm looking for some input.

The bike is a 99 Bandit 1200 so it is a "zook" and to my mind the motor design is very similar to the DR,-SACS, wet clutch, etc. . Now the oil question, I made the decision some time ago to use Shell Rotella T6 synthetic in my DR and I've been real pleased with the results so what I want to do is use the same oil in my new to me 99 Bandit when I do the next oil change. Any reason not to?

First gen. Bandits have all but died off on the internet, at least forum talk wise with either a Brit site or a relatively dead thread here on adv riders so I thought I'd ask you's guy's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Oil is oil, just run a good one, nothing wrong with T6, it's rated JASO MA so is OK to run in our bikes. I prefer AMSOIL myself but that's just MY preference.
Agreed. Should be ALL GOOD in the Bandit. Just stay away from "energy saver" synthetics that have "friction modifiers". If the Rotella is working in your DR then should be OK in the Bandit too.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #78952
SkunkWizard
recycle crime scene tape

Oddometer: 686
back from a day in the twisties- Santa Monica mtns. & hwy 1
stopped at the rock store to check out bikes and Jay's car

SkunkWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #78953
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWizard View Post
back from a day in the twisties- Santa Monica mtns. & hwy 1
stopped at the rock store to check out bikes and Jay's car

Gotta love Leno, at least he drives/rides his stuff. The pipes have a nice hue.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #78954
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I would rather ride 1100 miles than fly any day or drive. My choice, every time, if possible would be to take the bike. My wife not so much, she enjoys riding and we do long trips together, but as one poster said, shorter miles, more stops to smell the coffee, watch people or browse antique stores makes our less mile days more enjoyable.
When Fatwife and I take long trips on our motorcycles, we say that we like to take our bikes on our vacations instead of taking our vacations on the bikes. On our two week ride up to Montana in three weeks, we will average under 250 miles a day with two off days to enjoy a couple favorite places. Living where we do, we are on vacation when we leave the driveway and don't want to or have to ride freeways. That has worked for us for the last 20 years of doing multiweek trips through the Rockies every summer.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 08:08 PM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #78955
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,290
Isn't Durango home of million dollar highway?
Old 07-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #78956
SOTA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwash View Post
Isn't Durango home of million dollar highway?
Test it extends from Durango to Montrose
SOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #78957
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
You won't notice the welt while riding, you'll mostly notice the welt when you stop and put your feet down. The more you put your feet down the more you'll notice it. In stop and go traffic you'll notice the chaffing on your inner thigh.

On the lowered footpeg topic I was also concerned about losing the factory rubber-damped mounts but I wanted more room on the bike. I went with the Pro Cycle lowered pegs. I'm 5'9" and ride 99% street, there is no additional vibration to be concerned about. The biggest difference is you won't have that droopy peg feeling when you stand on the pegs. I'm picky about control setup and the Pro Cycle lower and wider pegs have the extra width added to the leading edge of the foot pegs which moved my feet closer to the shifter and brake pedal, since I have my DR setup for Supermoto I don't stand much or need the extra peg width. I put the factory pegs on the bike lowered peg brackets, now the distance from the pegs to the controls is perfect for me.

Tech23
I tried a friends bike with the Pro Cycle pegs,they lower the pegs so much as to put one's feet in danger riding off road,if its an on road bike this wouldnt matter so much, although I have touched the stock heidth pegs down in paved corners.
I noticed the vibration in the pegs right off with rigid pegs,that's why Suzuki rubber mounts them.

Some folks dont mind it though.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:12 AM   #78958
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,205
Quote:
Am I missing something here? People are talking about stuffing planks in the spokes of their rear wheel, or rags in between gears - seems risky to me. I just used a long screwdriver and zip ties to pull on the rear brake lever so it held the rear wheel tight. Picture (bad quality) here: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=65426

Shoving rags between gears puts large side loads on them - they may be able, or designed to take the side loading, but I just don't know that.

Using the spoke to stop rotational force seems like a losing proposition. I know many have done it, but I have also read of failures and requests for emergency parts from other inmates when it was done.

The rear brake was designed to stop the bike at full speed - I don't think it will be harmed in this manner.

Just my 2
Works too, but not if the engine is on the bench. And you have to disable the brake when you pull the clutch cover too. Good for CSS that are held on by big nuts and not clips though.

If the primary drive can't handle having its gears locked and damaged is caused to bearings, gears, or shafts using a piece of rag or soft metal like aluminium then you have bigger issues.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:19 AM   #78959
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
It just occurred to me that some people don't mind losing the rubber inserts. To check if you'd be fine without them, or if your preferences vary from time to time, you could use large sturdy washers over the rubber to mount the pegs fairly solidly. If it's too vibey, keep the rubber. If it's not, you have the option of using Procycle's mounts.
When I went from rubber to solid mounts I couldn't tell the difference re vibes and much prefer the improved feel and lack of flex when standing. YMMV
Old 07-22-2013, 03:49 AM   #78960
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I tried a friends bike with the Pro Cycle pegs,they lower the pegs so much as to put one's feet in danger riding off road,if its an on road bike this wouldnt matter so much, although I have touched the stock heidth pegs down in paved corners.
I noticed the vibration in the pegs right off with rigid pegs,that's why Suzuki rubber mounts them.

Some folks dont mind it though.
LOL...you're right I suppose some are more sensitive to it than other's. I feel like the counterbalancer works real well on the DR. My old XL600 had a counterbalanced engine and rubber mounted pegs too. That bikes vibration was enough to vibrate my right foot off the peg on the street. I feel like the DR is real smooth for a big bore single.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote