Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #78946
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
What routes did you take?
I ran I-20E from out near Canton TX, into LA, then cut south to near the Gulf. I ran I-10 E most of the way to I-75 S, then cut across Hwy 40E out of Ocala, over to I-95 S.

The view of the sun shining over the Gulf was amazing. The food in LA was great. The FL drivers, as soon as I reached P-Cola? 'Not so much.

I had to be back at work the next day after going to see mom and granny for Christmas.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #78947
tuscan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWizard View Post
"Clearly RIDING a bike isn't what interests you then"

look up the word troll

Nirvana = is a state of being free from suffering and delusion
some would say riding @ 65 mph for 1100mi. on a dirt bike saddle would be a push as far as comfort goes
(do the math)

I share your views exactly (been riding since 69') and for your NSU screw fix, that is the way a licensed aircraft mech would do it.
However, there ARE others out there who would not get "bored" doing 1100miles in a day especially on a bike...

Each to their own old timer, each to their own

If you aren't riding what ARE you doing?
tuscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #78948
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
If your current peg height is not bothering you ... leave it alone. I agree, I would NOT lose the rubber damping inserts on your pegs.
It just occurred to me that some people don't mind losing the rubber inserts. To check if you'd be fine without them, or if your preferences vary from time to time, you could use large sturdy washers over the rubber to mount the pegs fairly solidly. If it's too vibey, keep the rubber. If it's not, you have the option of using Procycle's mounts.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #78949
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscan View Post
However, there ARE others out there who would not get "bored" doing 1100miles in a day especially on a bike...

Each to their own old timer, each to their own
I think it depends on the location as well. This first / last stretch of I-95 here in southern Florida (like the lower 250 miles of it) is just painful to get through coming or going. Beyond that I don't mind it as badly, and I know that in some states the undulations of the mountains, overpasses and tunnels would keep me enthralled enough for distances.

But I chose to live here (or choose to do so for now), so my only option to enjoy riding as a rider in south Florida is... escaping south Florida. This is why I chose the DR650 over a DRZ400 - I have to be able to drone along at 75, 80 or 90 mph depending on the traffic conditions.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #78950
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I think it depends on the location as well. This first / last stretch of I-95 here in southern Florida (like the lower 250 miles of it) is just painful to get through coming or going. Beyond that I don't mind it as badly, and I know that in some states the undulations of the mountains, overpasses and tunnels would keep me enthralled enough for distances.

But I chose to live here (or choose to do so for now), so my only option to enjoy riding as a rider in south Florida is... escaping south Florida. This is why I chose the DR650 over a DRZ400 - I have to be able to drone along at 75, 80 or 90 mph depending on the traffic conditions.
One can definitely get peninsula-fever from living in FL. I don't like much of I-95 myself.

To da outtastaters...There ARE a few backroads coming out of S FL, if you're not in a huge hurry, but legal non-toll routes to get around this state can be a bit limited. A lot of the peninsula is wetlands and/or closed land. A lot of the highways are ridiculously tolled. Anything short of a tolled road or I-95 can be substantially longer in travel-time. Try getting from Atlanta to E Orlando on non-toll interstates. We're getting almost as tolled here as the northeast now.

The big DR works well down here. It sheds heat without roasting the rider. It runs the soft sand without big trouble. It accelerates to 60 faster than a pissed-off alligator, wild pig, loose pitbull, or bath-salt zombie-man. It runs the slab in S FL traffic. It can handle big miles to get the hell out of here and visit other states.

Kommando screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 12:38 PM
Old 07-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #78951
P-P
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Wicked Blocking engine rotation...

Am I missing something here? People are talking about stuffing planks in the spokes of their rear wheel, or rags in between gears - seems risky to me. I just used a long screwdriver and zip ties to pull on the rear brake lever so it held the rear wheel tight. Picture (bad quality) here: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=65426

Shoving rags between gears puts large side loads on them - they may be able, or designed to take the side loading, but I just don't know that.

Using the spoke to stop rotational force seems like a losing proposition. I know many have done it, but I have also read of failures and requests for emergency parts from other inmates when it was done.

The rear brake was designed to stop the bike at full speed - I don't think it will be harmed in this manner.

Just my 2
Old 07-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #78952
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,059
I for one would rather have the tolls then a state income tax and tolls like here in NJ. My taxes here are jaw dropping.
Fla is a great state that way.
I love Naples in a rental car !
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #78953
P-P
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
I for one would rather have the tolls then a state income tax and tolls like here in NJ. My taxes here are jaw dropping.
Fla is a great state that way.
I love Naples in a rental car !
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
I'd rather not have either - gotta love Nevada!
Old 07-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #78954
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-P View Post
Am I missing something here? People are talking about stuffing planks in the spokes of their rear wheel, or rags in between gears - seems risky to me. I just used a long screwdriver and zip ties to pull on the rear brake lever so it held the rear wheel tight. Picture (bad quality) here: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=65426

Shoving rags between gears puts large side loads on them - they may be able, or designed to take the side loading, but I just don't know that.

Using the spoke to stop rotational force seems like a losing proposition. I know many have done it, but I have also read of failures and requests for emergency parts from other inmates when it was done.

The rear brake was designed to stop the bike at full speed - I don't think it will be harmed in this manner.

Just my 2
I was the one who broke the spoke. I'd gotten away with this years ago on several bikes. Of the alternatives suggested, I like the rear brake lock idea the best. It seems to distribute the torque load across several components. Thanks for the idea.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #78955
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Thumb Just ordered the crash bar racks.

Not a bad deal for $99 to the front door.
Now I need to find a set of saddle bags.

http://www.dirtracks.com/product/suz...de-crash-bars/
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #78956
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-P View Post
I'd rather not have either - gotta love Nevada!
I grew up by Chicago but I am so glad to be in New Mex for riding. (Of course yesterday I grazed a cow on my GTR14, not likely to happen back East). 200 miles of great roads yesterday, dirt trails on the way home from coffee BS this AM, and heading to Colorado for high elevation next week . Of course will have my Butler maps with me.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #78957
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
Not a bad deal for $99 to the front door.
Now I need to find a set of saddle bags.

http://www.dirtracks.com/product/suz...de-crash-bars/
http://www.dirtracks.com/catalog/suz...se-bike-racks/
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #78958
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
After nearly 40 years of rideing, mega distance days have no appeal to me.

Been there, done that decades ago. Actually a waste of fuel mostly, dont remember even a fraction of what I went past.

But, give me a 500 mile day, with alot of stops to see the sights and smell the roses all day long, and thats what the DR is goin to be for !
That's more my speed too ... 250 to 400 mile days seem to be about the right distance. But unless it's ALL Super Slab and you're average speeds are over 80 mph ... then a 500 mile day will use up about 12 hours or more and mean very short stops. Got Daylight?

If you're dual sporting and riding dirt roads or trails ... then of course expect even shorter distances ... but still very long days. 10 to 12 hours is my limit, especially if you're stringing five to six days together. I'm sure the kids can do longer days ... I'm past that.

Can't count all the days in Baja where we arrived at our destination in the Dark! Add a few breakdowns, flats and crashes and some guys would be getting in at 2 am! Don't make a habit of that! (screws you the next day!)

More realistic days are what works for me. Photo stops, coffee breaks and just taking your eyes off the road for a while.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #78959
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
....against me here as the questions are both non DR and are oil related but I respect the collective moto knowledge on the DR thread and I'm looking for some input.

The bike is a 99 Bandit 1200 so it is a "zook" and to my mind the motor design is very similar to the DR,-SACS, wet clutch, etc. . Now the oil question, I made the decision some time ago to use Shell Rotella T6 synthetic in my DR and I've been real pleased with the results so what I want to do is use the same oil in my new to me 99 Bandit when I do the next oil change. Any reason not to?

First gen. Bandits have all but died off on the internet, at least forum talk wise with either a Brit site or a relatively dead thread here on adv riders so I thought I'd ask you's guy's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Oil is oil, just run a good one, nothing wrong with T6, it's rated JASO MA so is OK to run in our bikes. I prefer AMSOIL myself but that's just MY preference.
Agreed. Should be ALL GOOD in the Bandit. Just stay away from "energy saver" synthetics that have "friction modifiers". If the Rotella is working in your DR then should be OK in the Bandit too.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #78960
SkunkWizard
recycle crime scene tape

Oddometer: 649
back from a day in the twisties- Santa Monica mtns. & hwy 1
stopped at the rock store to check out bikes and Jay's car

SkunkWizard is offline   Reply With Quote