Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #78976
bonnyc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
How difficult do carbs make DR650 ownership

I am
1. a beginner rider (don't have a bike yet, am considering a DR650 for my first bike)
2. not mechanically adept or inclined and
3. I live in NYC, where there is a good chance the bike is going to be in storage for 6-8 months, and maybe ridden only on weekends during summer months.

How hard will it be to own a new or close to new, completely stock DR650? Will the carbs need much fiddling and work?

How much time should I expect to spend per week on maintenance, and how hard will it be to pick the skills up?

bonnyc screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 08:58 AM Reason: terrible typo
bonnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #78977
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
Well, of course my old clutch hub holder tool didnt fit, so had to get creative with a long punch, small crescent wrench, and a couple long bolts and fender washers. The bolts pretty much bottomed out in the post bosses for strength so not to break either of the bosses used.

Based on my recent experience doing the NSU, also finding I couldn't really reach the screws under the clutch, and using the hub bosses and a similar setup to loosen/tighten the hub nut, I would NOT recommend this technique. I too used long bolts that had full thread engagement into the bosses, and the boss merely broke at the base. I'd really suggest buying or making a clutch tool that engages the splines. I ended up using one to install my NEW hub and it was a piece of cake.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #78978
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyc View Post
I am
1. a beginner rider (don't have a bike yet, am considering a DR650 for my first bike)
3. I live in NYC, where there is a good chance the bike is going to be in storage for 6-8 months, and maybe ridden only on weekends during summer months.

How hard will it be to own a new or close to new, completely stock DR650? Will the carbs need much fiddling and work?

How much time should I expect to spend per week on maintenance, and how hard will it be to pick the skills up?

Find someone inclined . But really if you get a newer/low mileage DR it should be easy but with the storage and crappy gas you'll have to get some fuel stabilizer for those periods of non use. Here in the great American Southwest I drain my carb and tank if I'm not going to use the bike (rare!) but given your location and humidity I would guess that leaving the tank full with stabilizer is the better option. Run the carbs empty or drain them, not a big deal. The fuel will go bad, without stabilizer, whether the bike is injected or carbed. I'm sure others will chime in.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #78979
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
Find someone inclined . But really if you get a newer/low mileage DR it should be easy but with the storage and crappy gas you'll have to get some fuel stabilizer for those periods of non use. Here in the great American Southwest I drain my carb and tank if I'm not going to use the bike (rare!) but given your location and humidity I would guess that leaving the tank full with stabilizer is the better option. Run the carbs empty or drain them, not a big deal. The fuel will go bad, without stabilizer, whether the bike is injected or carbed. I'm sure others will chime in.
True, Fuel injected bikes can be even MORE problematic if let to sit too long without fuel stabilizer. But with stabilizer in the fuel, all should be OK on the DR650.

Ideally, even in Winter, try to start up the bike once a month or so, Run it for 15 minutes. Store it Full of fuel, and add Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel as well as Stabil (fuel stabilizer). Also, buy a Battery Tender and keep your bike plugged in ALL WINTER. Simple.

As a new rider ... first priority would be to enroll in an MSF rider course. (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) You'll learn a lot, it will really help develop good riding habits early on. A "must do", IMO.

The DR650 is really nearly maintenance free. Oil and clean the chain once in a while and replace tires when worn out. Over time you may want to make a few upgrades to the bike ... but for your first year ... just ride and enjoy and concentrate on your riding and getting BETTER on the bike.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #78980
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Also, buy a Battery Tender and keep your bike plugged in ALL WINTER. Simple.

And if you don't have an electrical connection where there bike will spend the winter pull the battery and bring it home with you and keep it on the tender.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #78981
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwash View Post
Isn't Durango home of million dollar highway?
After inflation it is now the 1.26 Billion Dollar Highway.

Technically, the Million Dollar Highway is US550 between Silverton and Ouray, Colorado.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #78982
bosley1980
Banned

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Thanks for the replies on the lowered footpegs guys.
Hello Dave maybe can help you?

Look at this thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=879707
bosley1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #78983
shu

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
I am

Good choice for first bike, I think. Not too heavy, very easy to maneuver once you learn how. Do take a riding course, but understand that if you ride infrequently, you will remain a beginner for a long time. It takes a lot of miles to get a real feel for the mechanics of riding and a lot more to be safe in traffic.

Start easy, by doing oil changes. Have someone there to confirm that you're doing things right and not over or under- tightening bolts.

It sounds like your bike might sit for 4-6 weeks without being ridden even in the riding season. Given this kind of use I would plug it into a Battery Tender Jr. whenever I parked it and I would keep the gas dosed with Stabil year round. Installing the wiring harness for the Battery tender is another easy project you could tackle early on, again with someone assisting. Lots of little things you can do on this bike that will turn it into something you understand, rather than just a mechanical mystery.

Shouldn't need much fiddling, at all.

[There is a lot of discussion here that starts out this way: "my bike runs great except when I ........." but you will notice after a while that mostly it's the guys who are modifying things who are having carburetor problems and they eventually seem to get it all straightened out. Those of us with unmodified carbs seem to mostly do just fine. There are a couple of things you might eventually decide to do to your carb: extended fuel screw so you can adjust it without trying to get a tool in there, and possibly putting a carb mounted choke (enrichener) on- the stock enrichener cable from the handlebar has been known to corrode and stick.]

For the amount of riding you're talking about you will probably need to do next to nothing per week. Clean and lube your chain every few hundred miles, put gas in it and go.

.............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #78984
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
What did you use? I'm with you, I don't like the flex when I stand. I really can't feel any difference in vibes between my DR and the other bikes I have that aren't rubber mounted.
I originally cut down and rearset the stock hangers, then made my own solid ones. Both with the same Fastway F6 pegs.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #78985
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
I originally cut down and rearset the stock hangers, then made my own solid ones. Both with the same Fastway F6 pegs.

BergDonk, help me out here.............please..............or anyone else that has a good solution. I have seen the brackets where they drop the peg and also set it back an inch, but I don't want nothing lower then what the frame/skip plate is.

I have not had my DR for too long but I have taken it on two rides that knocked the new off of the suspension. But, the peg position on this bike sucks. I was in the middle of a nasty climb yesterday and the position and the flex of the pegs was pretty bad. I have been trying to figure out a way to fix this problem. Lower and back.............
Old 07-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #78986
tlmaffucci
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252

This is my upper chain roller which I just removed. It looks like it has some wear, should it have this much wear for a bike with 1600 miles? Just checking. thanks
tlmaffucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #78987
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmaffucci View Post
This is my upper chain roller which I just removed. It looks like it has some wear, should it have this much wear for a bike with 1600 miles? Just checking. thanks
No, it shouldn't have that much wear and that's why some of us remove them; before they do this:

I think this is MotoScooter's photo.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #78988
tlmaffucci
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
No, it shouldn't have that much wear and that's why some of us remove them; before they do this:

I think this is MotoScooter's photo.
Yeah, thanks. My thoughts were that if it had this much wear, it must be doing something it's supposed too. Guess not. What IS an upper chain roller supposed to do?
Old 07-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #78989
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmaffucci View Post
What IS an upper chain roller supposed to do?
The answer to that question may go on for several pages. It couldn't be too important, mine has been out for 40k + miles.
Oh, and welcome to the site.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 09:17 PM
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #78990
tlmaffucci
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
The answer to that question may go on for several pages. It couldn't be too important, mine has been out for 40k + miles.
Oh, and welcome to the site.
Thank you very much! I'm happy to be here.