Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #79411
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Reminds me of riding with Rodney Smith, he riding with his wife on the back of his factory RMZ450. They passed me going up a nasty, loose up hill. TWO UP! I was riding my XR250R. Of course Rodney was 5 time GNCC champ ... now retired from racing. She looked like a Jockey on a race horse. Just incredible. HE IS SO FAST!
Mike Lafferty does the same thing in Jersey on a 990 KTM at the "Hammer Run" AMA Nat'l DS. It's a thing of beauty.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #79412
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,655
I appreciate the feedback immensely.

this got me to wondering [if anyone knows]: do all these custom seats start with stock pans or do some of them have their own molds?

phil i'm assuming that weld held up just fine - in fact is probably the strongest part of the pan?

i've done the [recently sold] weestrom offpavement with 2 of us and me standing - its ok, but I would not want to wrestle much steep downhill on something that heavy and top-hefty... its just not enjoyable and taking 'evasive' maneuvers impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
Hey Grifter, my seat is 3" longer than stock. Yep the Russel ain't pretty, but it sure is comfy and ya can't see it when my arse is on it
We thought about lower pegs but ended up leaving them stock to keep Dawns feet higher away from harm.
I wouldn't mind trying some lower ones though. Would like to try 2up standing a bit more. We have tried it. Feels a bit weird !
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:56 PM   #79413
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmaffucci View Post
What speed do y'all get up to in each gear before gearing up?

Me: (give or take a few mph each way)

1-2~~13
2-3~~30
3-4~~43
4-5~~52
OK, so I tested 2nd gear at lunch just to see how far it wanted to pull.

2nd gear did pull to 65 MPH, but then the rev limtied kicked in for 65 to 66 MPH.

Again, 16 tooth sprocket, slightly taller rear tire.

I didn't mean to hit the rev limiter, just to see how it pulled. It pulled all the way up until when the limiter told it to stop, so there's that.

What I also found that while mine goes up to 64 MPH in second, for spirited riding I'd probably shift out of 1st at 34 MPH, and 2nd at 54 MPH. Much lower then either of those for commuting... I'm generally pretty conservative with my bikes' motors. I can get into higher gears at 45 MPH and under pretty regularly. I imagine that if I lived near the Mulholland Drive in California, then that's were I'd see the 'spirited' RPM shfit points. Here in Florida it's just too boring.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #79414
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Keep the seat talk coming. I'm not sure if I need to make a change with the seat or not. I've got almost 19k miles on my Sargent and its worlds better than stock. That said, a 500 mile day would be murder. 400 is rough but not too bad. 300 or under is easy. That said, I have to take ass breaks throughout the day. My arms and back and neck etc never get uncomfortable, but the ass is a killer. What is everyone's thoughts about this? I ride the Dr too much like a dirt bike to use a Russell. I'm thinking a renazco.. maybe they could make it a little wider and dished at the back while narrow in the front?

Ooh, don't tell me that. I just installed my first Sargeant saddle ever on my DR650 yesterday, and am aiming for more miles than 500 per day.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:58 PM   #79415
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Laugh

Quote:
3 inches? Really? Good deal! Some seat makers do custom pans like yours.
Corbin does ... they cast them in fiberglass. HEAVY! I like your idea better.
Corbin start from scratch ... they don't use the stock pan, only use it for a guide when building their Prototype. Once the mold is made, they cast hundreds of Pans. Been there, seen it at the factory.
ah.. that answers part of my question.

I was quite surprised how many outfits now make either the whole seat for the DR or foam + covers. quite a few. maybe we should do a poll thread to see who is most happy....

I had 2 custom seats for each of my 2 dr's - sold the 2002 model kept the 97. works pretty well for 4 hours or so of just me, assuming a bit of standing here and there but I'm intrigued by the other custom designs. I would not personally want a confining seat like the 2-piece. I am way too fidgety for that. I have to scoot forwrd some, then back some, then stand some to make long miles. sometimes do the tank hug and put my feet on the rear pegs... [don't tell the nannies]
Old 07-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #79416
QualityPixel
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakser View Post
I may go look at a 09 dr650 with around 3k miles on it this weekend.
Looks to be in good shape from the pictures.

the dude said it "idles a little low" but once it gets warmed up, no problems.

the ad says it has a stage 1 jet kit installed.

Any idea on what might cause this low idle, or what I should look for.

possible carb issue? (seems like the bike sits more than its ridden for sure)
something else...choke cable?

let me know what you guys think i can post up the ad if any are curious.
Dunno if it helps, but I picked up a 2008 with 4,500 miles for $2700 about 5 weeks ago. Like the one you're looking at it was nearly bone stock but mine had handlebar risers and Procycles' tail light and license plate kit. And it was in very good condition except the the D606 on the back does not have much life left. I wouldn't pay much more than that because it has "issues." Maybe $3000-3200 if it looks like it is in showroom condition. Make a low-ball offer and say that's what you can pay because it has "issues" or however they put it, and I bet you'll get a good deal.
QualityPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #79417
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Keep the seat talk coming. I'm not sure if I need to make a change with the seat or not. I've got almost 19k miles on my Sargent and its worlds better than stock. That said, a 500 mile day would be murder. 400 is rough but not too bad. 300 or under is easy. That said, I have to take ass breaks throughout the day. My arms and back and neck etc never get uncomfortable, but the ass is a killer. What is everyone's thoughts about this? I ride the Dr too much like a dirt bike to use a Russell. I'm thinking a renazco.. maybe they could make it a little wider and dished at the back while narrow in the front?
IMHO, doing a 500 mile day on the DR650 on ANY seat is not that easy. I've done it, but too much for me. Even my comfortable former Vstrom was tough beyond 500 miles. At that distance, other pain issues come into play.

I'd guess your Sargent is doing very well for you. The proof is that only your butt gets sore ... your body seems to survive pretty well. As you get older ... everything hurts more.

I doubt Renazco could build a better seat than your Sargent. He is too dirt oriented. I've never ridden on a Renanzco I liked much. (two KTM's ... 950 and 640 ADV and one Husky 630) Not even close to the comfort of my old Corbin.

On my Corbin I once did Four - 400 mile days back to back. That trip was out to Colorado. On the way home I did a 750 mile day (which was insane). No idea how I did it ... but sometimes things just feel "right".
It was a VERY long day but with LOTS of breaks and ... TONS OF WATER.

I was ON THE ROAD by 7 am from Kanab, Utah and was at my campsite in Bridgeport, CA at around 9 PM. The day included riding through Death Valley in 118F temps. Not bad as I kept moving and did not go off road. As soon as you begin to climb out of the valley, temps drop like a rock ... to low 80''s. Nice. Most times now I crap out around 300 miles on my DR. I can go further on my 1050 Tiger.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #79418
87comanche350
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Talking

I have the Seat Concepts kit that you install on the factory pan, and it takes about 500 mile until I start getting sore. But for $160 its a great deal.
87comanche350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #79419
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,146
Quote:
That said, a 500 mile day would be murder. 400 is rough but not too bad. 300 or under is easy.
Instead of replacing your Sargent consider getting a sheepskin. IMO a sheepskin will add about 100 miles of range to almost any seat.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #79420
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Instead of replacing your Sargent consider getting a sheepskin. IMO a sheepskin will add about 100 miles of range to almost any seat.
that's a fact.
and the little extra cost for top quality sheepies is well worth it imho.
i do not ride w/o... unless its a test ride on a strange bike
Old 07-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #79421
bradrh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
that's a fact.
and the little extra cost for top quality sheepies is well worth it imho.
i do not ride w/o... unless its a test ride on a strange bike
What happens to those when it rains?
Old 07-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #79422
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

question about this topic, but in reverse...
I drove awhile, stupidly, not realizing that my cable had been frayed, down at the connection to the arm/case... I posted on it awhile back with pics. the anchor at the end had gotten 'stuck' where it would not rotate in the sleeve, and over time the flexing cut through the cable.
the point was, I thought it needed adjusting, the shifts were getting harder, and when it finally got to the "bad" point I had to shift some more.
I wonder if I damaged anything?
I mic'd the clutch plates, and they were in spec but how would I know if any other damage? DR's are all a tad notchy going into first.....

Quote:
This is a common mistake. You're lucky you did not get stranded. I'd bet your clutch plates will need replacing. I'd give up on the dealer ... just don't reward him with future business. Buy new SUZUKI plates. Pull them out, inspect. Drive plates may be OK, friction plates will likely need replacement. If they are glazed but still have material ... still NO GOOD.
Replace any glazed friction plates.

Bark Busters should always be set parallel to the ground ... levers should be angled down just a bit, set UNDER the bark buster.
This does two good things:
1. It relieves carpel tunnel type strain on your wrists when standing on the bike (less wrist bend)
2. It makes interference with lever/barkbuster less likely.

Some guys use just a floppy plastic hand guard ... no metal bar barkbuster.
With that set up what can happen is at high speed, the WIND will blow the floppy plastic guard against the lever, depressing it ... and COOKING THE CLUTCH.

Always make sure you've got your little bit of lever slack and make sure lever travel is free and unimpeded when under way.

Good luck!
Old 07-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #79423
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrh View Post
What happens to those when it rains?
you unclip it and remove it until it stops raining.
i've used alaska sheepskins and they are awesome!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:33 PM   #79424
RobTheRigger
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87comanche350 View Post
I have the Seat Concepts kit that you install on the factory pan, and it takes about 500 mile until I start getting sore. But for $160 its a great deal.
I just took a look at their site. How is the width of that for standing?
I can imagine a no more rewarding career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy." JFK

"I rode a lot of dirt bikes when I was younger, so I trust the chain and sprockets more than that newfangled voodoo shaft stuff!" DolphinJohn
RobTheRigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #79425
87comanche350
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTheRigger View Post
I just took a look at their site. How is the width of that for standing?
It's narrower at the front of the seat so it's not in the way. If you're leaning back when standing (putting weight on the rear) you can feel it between your knees, but it's not obnoxious.
87comanche350 is offline   Reply With Quote