Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 10:42 PM   #79831
warp9man
Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTB488 View Post
I've had the 3 finger levers on for a little over a week now, AWESOME!
Hey JTB488. Thanks man!
warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #79832
celticpride2133
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Im looking to get a dr650 but have a limited budget. How old would you recommend to go or what years would you avoid? I would like to stay close to 1.5k. Thanks
celticpride2133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:35 AM   #79833
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Given that the carb is stock, the airbox is stock and that the carb is not worn, just install the adjustable non-USA OEM jet needle, tune the clip position and adjust the idle mixture.

How many miles are there on the carb?

Regards,

Derek

I did just this, and my bike runs excellent at ALL throttle positions. Im getting 58 - 62 MPG. Good idea to replace all O-rings and gaskets while your in there too.

It's not some complicated VooDoo if everything on your bike is totally stock. All you do is get the needle that it would have come with if it wasnt a USA edition, install it and tune the needle and the low speed adjustment screw and your golden. No need for anything else if you want a perfect running stocker that gets 60 MPG.
Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #79834
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp9man View Post
Hey guys so I need some input from the DR community. I am working on a DR rear disk guard with brake caliper carrier so you dont have to do the weld on thing. So I drew up the cad drawings and had an idea of making the caliper mounts (in purple) able to be replaced with taller mounts to accommodate a larger rear rotor for the guys that are heavily loaded or just want better braking perfomance. So think of it as an oversized brake kit for the rear. To me it seems like the rear brake is a bit week but maybe its me? Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Your humble DR parts slave...Kevin

I like the no weld disc guard idea, I have no need or interest in a larger brake disc though.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #79835
warp9man
Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
I like the no weld disc guard idea, I have no need or interest in a larger brake disc though.
Thank you for the input Carl
warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #79836
bosley1980
Rider

Oddometer: 162
Wicked tooltube fixing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Finally got around to fitting the Tool Tube I bought a couple of months ago.

Cut out an aluminum bracket for the front, to attach to the original tool box holes.

And hung the back off the helmet lock mount on another aluminum bracket.

Very similar fixing tool tube
AND YOUR IS LOCKABLE?

bosley1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #79837
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
I did just this, and my bike runs excellent at ALL throttle positions. Im getting 58 - 62 MPG. Good idea to replace all O-rings and gaskets while your in there too.

It's not some complicated VooDoo if everything on your bike is totally stock. All you do is get the needle that it would have come with if it wasnt a USA edition, install it and tune the needle and the low speed adjustment screw and your golden. No need for anything else if you want a perfect running stocker that gets 60 MPG.
One just has to tune it for temperature and altitude...basically, density of oxygen...the same as one has to tune it if they open up the airbox or the airbox/exhaust. Once tuned, I don't really touch my carb, except to adjust for better manners with extreme changes in temp/altitude, or to check the OEM filter periodically. An aftermarket filter would probably be easier to access, but I don't have a big issue with the stocker, so I don't bother with aftermarket. My DR even sits for over a week sometimes, if I'm out of town. A little SeaFoam run into it before I store it and I don't have any problems with it.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.

Kommando screwed with this post 08-10-2013 at 12:59 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #79838
ketur
dat stonk

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post

Wow 58-62? I'm getting a consistent 46-52. Carb seems to be stock, I doubt any jetting mods were made, but I do have a Two Brothers exhaust. I wonder if putting the stock exhaust back on would help mileage at all.
ketur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #79839
JTB488
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Well I'm not stock, and average 65 mpg's.
JTB488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #79840
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticpride2133 View Post
Im looking to get a dr650 but have a limited budget. How old would you recommend to go or what years would you avoid? I would like to stay close to 1.5k. Thanks
I have a 96 with close to 40,000 miles and I wouldn't be afraid to ride it several hundred miles. It has the infamous base gasket leak that I sealed with Mega Grey high temp sealant. They fixed the base gasket issue at some point but I don't remember what year.
Midnightventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #79841
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticpride2133 View Post
'96. The DR650 hasn't changed much since then. Read the DR650 wikia webpage for some of the noted differences between the years since then.

Early SEs had the paper base gasket until mid-2003. '98-'99s could be lacking the starter's torque-limiter. Both of these issues are correctable.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #79842
tlmaffucci
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Given that the carb is stock, the airbox is stock and that the carb is not worn, just install the adjustable non-USA OEM jet needle, tune the clip position and adjust the idle mixture.

How many miles are there on the carb?

Regards,

Derek
The bike is stock so the carb has a little over 2000 miles on it. Where could I get the adjustable non-USA OEM jet needle? How do I tune the clip position and adjust the idle mixture? I know basically nothing about carbs.
tlmaffucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #79843
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
If you don't have the feel, a torque wrench is your friend. Also, run a tap through the threads on a new sprocket.
The latest British "Bike" magazine has a story about Valentino Rossi's mechanic's toolbox. Just about every size socket is attached to a torque wrench ... no ratchets or breakerbars. If someone that experienced needs one, what does that say about the rest of us? BTW, he also has a hammer and chisel handy ...

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #79844
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmaffucci View Post
The bike is stock so the carb has a little over 2000 miles on it. Where could I get the adjustable non-USA OEM jet needle? How do I tune the clip position and adjust the idle mixture? I know basically nothing about carbs.
Paging Derek, it's in here somewhere...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=motolab
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #79845
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmaffucci View Post
If you're happy with the way your bike runs, leave it alone until you're not happy with the way it runs.

Read all the internet you want, to learn. Just don't do anything you read. The adjustable needle would be a fairly simple mod to start with though, IF you have to mess with it.
Sure you'll have to learn to evolve in life, just don't mess with something mechanical that isn't broken.
Some of us have to mess with everything mechanical in our life, others leave the dang things alone and ride.

My DR was pretty much untouched for 15k miles: then I found this site.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote