Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #80431
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwroblin View Post
i am installing a new clutch cable as the original has developed a kink at the perch adjuster ... in routing the new cable it appears going around front of the speedo creates the pinch point or bind at the adjuster ... the original didn't seem to be routed very well .... i've looked for a diagram but the factory plans just show the three cables for part numbers in plan view ... any suggestions for going under or another way which would line up the cable straight into the adjuster/lever ... thanks.
Below is a pic of my clutch cable routing. Biggest problem for me is the TUSK bark buster clamp, cable goes UP and over it. So if you've got bark busters mounted, then you may have to figure an elegant way to get round them. My cable then proceeds BEHIND/UNDER the speedo. (I believe this is the stock routing?)

I get a bit of a kink too (see pic) ... because I like to set my clutch lever LOW (for standing comfort) so bark buster clamp contacts the clutch cable, forcing it up a bit. So far, no problems because of this. Clutch operates smooth, light pull. Check out the pic:
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #80432
belleringer
standing on the pegs

Oddometer: 61
clutch cable

thanks. it just appears i need to get a vapor dash display and remove the speedo ... nothing $$ can't fix ... except when $$ is running short .... the kink may have been from the original owner as the bike was low mileage but certainly was laid down on both sides .... more than a few times .... guess he sold it cus it scared him .... i just wanted to make sure it wasn't somehow routed in a different path as it comes up from the frame ...
belleringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #80433
zoopdingle
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktown View Post
I have no idea. My 2013 didn't come with a key like that. Maybe it ended up in you owner pack by accident.
You are correct! It's a key for a some panniers. They installed the panniers on a V-Strom in the showroom and accidentally put the keys in the envelope with my papers.
zoopdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #80434
Fabone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
i am installing a new clutch cable as the original has developed a kink at the perch adjuster ... in routing the new cable it appears going around front of the speedo creates the pinch point or bind at the adjuster ... the original didn't seem to be routed very well .... i've looked for a diagram but the factory plans just show the three cables for part numbers in plan view ... any suggestions for going under or another way which would line up the cable straight into the adjuster/lever ... thanks.
Suzuki did not give a lot of cable to work with. When adjusting the bars & levers, what works for one, may not work for another. Loosen the bars & levers to make adjustments that work for you, but that may kink the cable.

I could not get the stock setup to work for me where it was comfortable and not have a kink. I then changed to different bars and added risers. I ended up having to make a longer cable to make it all work/comfortable for me.

The stock setup will work if adjusted, but will still have a small amount of kink. It just didn't work for me, because I happen to have short arms and I don't ride the tank. YMMV.
Fabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #80435
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,349
Quote:
Here's how the book does it, click on the link below the pic for the full size version...

http://faithcottage.smugmug.com/Moto...O/IMG_3185.jpg

http://faithcottage.smugmug.com/Moto...O/IMG_3186.jpg
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #80436
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,368
Does anyone have a source for Suzuki key blanks, other than the dealer. $13 for a key is not for me. They only have the genuine article. Big black plastic Suzuki head. I'm looking for a plain metal blank. I can cut it. I have about 4 spares for the '96, but the PO of the '09 only had the one.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #80437
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Does anyone have a source for Suzuki key blanks, other than the dealer. $13 for a key is not for me. They only have the genuine article. Big black plastic Suzuki head. I'm looking for a plain metal blank. I can cut it. I have about 4 spares for the '96, but the PO of the '09 only had the one.

I think I have a one of the blanks with the plastic head if you want it....I will have to hunt it up...
Mongle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #80438
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
If you can cut it yurself you obviously know your way around keys, but I'd try a serious lock smith shop (not just the local hardware.) My shop in Kingman, AZ (North-West Safe and Lock) has cut me a key for ST off the key code without ever seeing the bike,,, on a blank generic they had hanging on the wall.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #80439
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
I think I have a one of the blanks with the plastic head if you want it....I will have to hunt it up...
Thanks, but lemme try the locksmith suggested by George99 first. But Kingman is a loonnng way to go for a key.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #80440
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,909
I think Eakins may have posted what generic key is used earlier, I can't find it in Krusty's Index.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #80441
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,777
Quote:
Ace Hardware near by, got 2 of them (a while back) for $4.99 what a deal ...
Old 08-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #80442
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
I did not. I'm at a happy medium and started feeling like the carb jetting discussions that go on here so I just stopped.

I like the set up as it is and I'm sure I could eek out just a little more plush feeling but frankly I just don't ride that hard to make the tinkering worth it. I do enjoy learning new things which is usually what drives me to wrench my way into new territory.

Foof dragger - I envy your two bikes and started on Hodaka's back in the early 70's so I know what you mean. I just admire the riders ability on what most would consider very limited machines. I go to the CalVMX races to watch a buddy race in the "Marty Tripes" 100 series. Fun stuff - and the place smells like premix...!!

http://www.calvmx.net/

This one's for you, FD. The guy was about 70 and still at it.
Nice! The Greeves was THE bike to have in the socal desert at one point,everybody else was racing Triumphs and other big tanks.
The one Ive got is like a showbike version of a Greeves,pearl white/black bodywork,chromed as much as one would ever chrome a Greeves,nice silver paint and polished aluminum every where else,its too nice to ride really.
Ive never seen one like it.

I started on the Super Rat in 72,had some good times on that little thing.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #80443
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
If you can cut it yurself you obviously know your way around keys, but I'd try a serious lock smith shop (not just the local hardware.) My shop in Kingman, AZ (North-West Safe and Lock) has cut me a key for ST off the key code without ever seeing the bike,,, on a blank generic they had hanging on the wall.
The keys Home Depot makes are not so good,they're soft metal and once they wear some,they dont work.
A real locksmith is indeed the place to go.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #80444
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,349
Quote:
Just checked my cable routing, I had to re-route when I installed the ATV High bars. I ran the cable behind the bars instead of in front of the speedo, through the cross-bar and bar, then I think I follow the routing in the book.

No problems with the cable binding or pulling, lock to lock. Nice straight pull out of the clutch perch.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #80445
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,406
Quote:
ACE Hardware (and i'm sure others) have a HY-KO blank: SUZ18
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote