Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #80596
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Have you done the carb breather T mod?
Forgot about this one and it's been on my list of things to do. Thx for bringing it up again.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #80597
Rocktown
Reformed

Oddometer: 323
I use to have an '02 r6 ( the last year before fuel injection). Granted it was in inline 4 and a very different beast, but the battery went out on it. Being young and broke I wasn't able to buy a battery for a couple weeks. That didn't stop me from riding. I was able to sit on it an push it fast enough to start it. Apperently my dr is going to be different. I think I'm going to try push starting it just to see what I'm up against.
Rocktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #80598
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktown View Post
I use to have an '02 r6 ( the last year before fuel injection). Granted it was in inline 4 and a very different beast, but the battery went out on it. Being young and broke I wasn't able to buy a battery for a couple weeks. That didn't stop me from riding. I was able to sit on it an push it fast enough to start it. Apperently my dr is going to be different. I think I'm going to try push starting it just to see what I'm up against.
Technique is important. 2nd or 3rd gear. Get it rolling to about jogging speed. "Bump" the clutch out then pull it back in immediately. Your objective is to get at least one compression stroke. Usually they will start. If you just drop the clutch it will likely slide the tire on the second compression stroke because it will be spinning fast enough that the the centrifugally operated automatic decompression won't release but not fast enough to actually pull away. Works for me.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #80599
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Have you done the carb breather T mod?
Heck, that water wasn't even deep enough to even come up to the level of the vacuum line. I doubt it was that.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #80600
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Idling problem help wanted

My FCR39 fitted DR won't idle consistently.

When cold the bike idles well with the choke on though the revs are quite low, and it won't idle at all with the choke off.

When warm the bike doesn't idle well with the choke on and with the choke off it will have a fairly lumpy and erratic idle for up to 15 seconds before stalling, often it stalls instantly.

When the bike is hot it will either stall instantly or idle at very high revs before slowly dropping down and stalling.

I'm in NZ so I'm using 95RON real gas and the idle jet and float height are both as per MXRob specs.

Can anyone advise what these symptoms may be caused by?

Once off idle the bike is smooth and strong all the way to redline. I've tried adjusting idle speed and the mixture screw to no avail.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums

Eddieb screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 07:50 PM
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #80601
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
First eliminate the possibility of a vacuum leak or tight valves.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #80602
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
It certainly wouldn't be practical or cost effective. There is no provision in the crankcase for all the K/S gearing and whatnot. There's really nowhere to put it without redesigning the crankcase and probably lots of other things too.

What is practical is to carry a small, lightweight Shorai battery as a spare.
Not a bad idea. Can the Dr run after disconnecting the battery? Never tried it. All the older cars do fine, so unless the drs Cdi or stator cause problems, you could fire off the spare and then hook back up to the main. What do you think the smallest shorai that would be practical as a backup is?

That said, cables could be good too. Just requires someone else to be around.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #80603
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
This might be a dumb idea, but would two smaller shorais fit in the battery tray?
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #80604
stretch160
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
SOUNDS very much like a vacume leak. especialy the notes about how it acts when hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post

My FCR39 fitted DR won't idle consistently.

When cold the bike idles well with the choke on though the revs are quite low, it and won't idle at all with the choke off.

When warm the bike doesn't idle well with the choke on and with the choke off it will have a fairly lumpy and erratic idle for up to 15 seconds before stalling, often it stalls instantly.

When the bike is hot it will either stall instantly or idle at very high revs before slowly dropping down and stalling.

I'm in NZ so I'm using 95RON real gas and the idle jet and float height are both is as per MXRob specs.

Can anyone advise what these symptoms may be caused by?

Once off idle the bike is smooth and strong all the way to redline. I've tried adjusting idle speed and the mixture screw to no avail.
stretch160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #80605
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
what gear were you in? it not easy but it is possible to push start the DR solo in 3rd gear. good idea to remove your riding gear before you try it because your going to get covered in sweat and it ruins your arm muscles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
On Push starting these bikes,we were out and about and a friends KLR lost the solenoid,so the starter wouldnt work. No kicker so we tried push starting it,with 3 guys doing the pushing and one guy jumping down on the seat,all this on pavement not dirt.
Even with a small downhill it wouldnt turn over fast enough to start,after about 5 tries with more bystanders helping, it started,barely.

So on dirt,even with 3 or 4 guys,push starting a 650 single could be a real trick.
Old bikes had kickers for a reason.

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #80606
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Heck, that water wasn't even deep enough to even come up to the level of the vacuum line. I doubt it was that.
Yeah, but you just doubt it because I thought of it first.

Even if it isn't the cause in this instance, if the bike hasn't had the T mod, now would be a good time to do it. No point in waiting until you're up against a 'real' water crossing.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #80607
simestd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
what gear were you in? it not easy but it is possible to push start the DR solo in 3rd gear. good idea to remove your riding gear before you try it because your going to get covered in sweat and it ruins your arm muscles
Due to a bad battery I ended up getting an education in solo push starting my '02 DR the second or third day I owned it. By trial and error I found 2nd gear was the best on flat pavement (1st just made long skid marks - my 7 year old self would have been proud!). Ran along side pushing then jumped on (tricky) and popped the clutch. Pro tip: before trying this at home make SURE BOTH the key AND kill switch are in the ON position AT THE SAME TIME - DAMHIK Hey, 1. the bike was new to me, 2. pushing a DR back and forth for 15 minutes trying to start it counts as cardio, right?!

'82 XV750, '82 GL500, '02 DR650, '07 XT225
simestd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #80608
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
We tried it in 1st through 3rd,the tire didnt turn over much if any. I would much like to see a video of someone solo push starting a DR650 so I would know how to do it next time.
Especially on dirt. There's no manual compression release,seems tricky.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #80609
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by simestd View Post
Due to a bad battery I ended up getting an education in solo push starting my '02 DR the second or third day I owned it. By trial and error I found 2nd gear was the best on flat pavement (1st just made long skid marks - my 7 year old self would have been proud!). Ran along side pushing then jumped on (tricky) and popped the clutch. Pro tip: before trying this at home make SURE BOTH the key AND kill switch are in the ON position AT THE SAME TIME - DAMHIK Hey, 1. the bike was new to me, 2. pushing a DR back and forth for 15 minutes trying to start it counts as cardio, right?!
It will start when the battery is dead or down?

Maybe the KLR we were pushing had other issues.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #80610
simestd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
It will start when the battery is dead or down?
The DR has a separate magneto/ignition charge coil so it can be push started when the battery is flat - but per Procycle the battery needs to be in the circuit to enable the CDI. In other words you apparently can't push start it without a battery installed. Didn't have a reason to try that, but I know it can be started with a battery that's too dead to activate the solenoid.

When I was push starting mine, I didn't know this - so I was trying to conserve precious battery capacity by flipping the ignition after hopping on and just before popping the clutch (and half the time I was forgetting....) I'm sure it was really quite the spectacle - funny now though.

'82 XV750, '82 GL500, '02 DR650, '07 XT225
simestd is online now   Reply With Quote