Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #80596
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Check your spark plug wire and plug hole? Is water getting to the plug? Is there a crack/tear in the plug wire? I'm not sure on the DR, but normally there is a drain hole so that water that splashes up there drains out, but this can become plugged.
+ 1, has to be water getting where it normally can't. That was a very shallow crossing and should not have caused you any trouble.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:49 AM   #80597
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
This is a good idea though.. I don't have cables or any way to get my bike started if it dies :screwy: I do have a new battery though (well, when I left)...

Need to fix that I guess
I have a set of these in a front fender bag anlog with a 21" HD tube for tire repairs.

http://www.aerostich.com/tools/elect...-cables-5.html

They are very small.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #80598
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker

Oddometer: 2,751
http://www.whitehorsegear.com/yuasa-...-jumper-cables

8 feet long.

Quote from:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/australi...-reminder.html

"Mr Aus adv's RR (and thanks for that too) tells of his dead battery so I thought I'd post this for our newbies.
Modern cars and bikes with computer brains and fuel injection can't be pushed started if the battery is completely dead and unlike running out of fuel, you don't get a warning. So to repeat a past post;
"Jumbo" speaker wire makes for an excellent, easy to carry and store jumper leads. A two meter length of wire, with little alligator clips at each end will easily carry current to start your bike. I have started a car with mine, no probs. The good bit is they will wrap around the palm of your hand and held with a rubber band, will easily store under the seat for future use if needed. Being stranded with a dead battery can be a bigger headache than running out of fuel. It's great for peace of mind particularly if your battery is a few years old. FYI."

Plug and Plug.

Old_Lion screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 10:37 AM
Old_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #80599
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Lion View Post

8 feet long.

Quote from:

"Mr Aus adv's RR (and thanks for that too) tells of his dead battery so I thought I'd post this for our newbies.
Modern cars and bikes with computer brains and fuel injection can't be pushed started if the battery is completely dead and unlike running out of fuel, you don't get a warning. So to repeat a past post;
"Jumbo" speaker wire makes for an excellent, easy to carry and store jumper leads. A two meter length of wire, with little alligator clips at each end will easily carry current to start your bike. I have started a car with mine, no probs. The good bit is they will wrap around the palm of your hand and held with a rubber band, will easily store under the seat for future use if needed. Being stranded with a dead battery can be a bigger headache than running out of fuel. It's great for peace of mind particularly if your battery is a few years old. FYI."
Wow, I like this idea. Let it sit for a few while the car charges the bike battery then fire up. Gonna make a set of these..
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #80600
warp9man
Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ... View Post
Hey, Warp9! You listening? Please?
HMMM. no promises but I will check into that.
warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #80601
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
I don't know if its even possible to design a kicker for the Dr though
It certainly wouldn't be practical or cost effective. There is no provision in the crankcase for all the K/S gearing and whatnot. There's really nowhere to put it without redesigning the crankcase and probably lots of other things too.

What is practical is to carry a small, lightweight Shorai battery as a spare.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #80602
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 22,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
It certainly wouldn't be practical or cost effective. There is no provision in the crankcase for all the K/S gearing and whatnot. There's really nowhere to put it without redesigning the crankcase and probably lots of other things too.

What is practical is to carry a small, lightweight Shorai battery as a spare.
That's what I was thinking. For the mess that you'd have to deal with putting a kicker (which you'll probably never use) I'd rather carry a small light lithium battery.

or just ride with your girlfirend so she can push start the bike.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #80603
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
That's what I was thinking. For the mess that you'd have to deal with putting a kicker (which you'll probably never use) I'd rather carry a small light lithium battery.

or just ride with your girlfirend so she can push start the bike.
Exactly! She's a sturdy woman. Her 3rd baby come out sideways. She didn't scream er nuthin'!

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #80604
deathu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Thank you guys for all your suggestions! The battery is in good condition, I will start checking the electrical connections. If nothing obvious comes out I guess I'll start spraying water until I find the problematic spot where she doesn't like getting wet .
To me it's obvious that (at least) the stall was related to water. It just suddenly lost power and I couldn't keep it running.
deathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #80605
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathu View Post
Thank you guys for all your suggestions! The battery is in good condition, I will start checking the electrical connections. If nothing obvious comes out I guess I'll start spraying water until I find the problematic spot where she doesn't like getting wet .
To me it's obvious that (at least) the stall was related to water. It just suddenly lost power and I couldn't keep it running.
Good point
That seems easy enough, hose 'er down. Let us know what you find.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #80606
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathu View Post
It seems obvious, except that it's a ridiculously small amount of water and there wasn't any in the airbox.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #80607
cyberdos
True Story Bro

After drowning out my bike crossing this stuff

I ended up having to do this to my bike to dry it out.

nothing worked. Tried several things. Nothing.

I don't know how we ended up taking the exhaust can off. For some reason that worked. Bike turned on. Put the can back on, nothing again.

So I had to ride the rest of the ride open piped and I didn't have any earplugs. Here's me carrying the can on the back of my camelback.

Then of course I get home and as I'm cleaning out my bag I find this:

SONOVA!

Old 08-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #80608
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Lion View Post

8 feet long.

Quote from:

On Push starting these bikes,we were out and about and a friends KLR lost the solenoid,so the starter wouldnt work. No kicker so we tried push starting it,with 3 guys doing the pushing and one guy jumping down on the seat,all this on pavement not dirt.
Even with a small downhill it wouldnt turn over fast enough to start,after about 5 tries with more bystanders helping, it started,barely.

So on dirt,even with 3 or 4 guys,push starting a 650 single could be a real trick.
Old bikes had kickers for a reason.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #80609
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,367
I think you hit the kill switch accidently as you were coming out of the water, just enough to kill the engine.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #80610
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I think you hit the kill switch accidently as you were coming out of the water, just enough to kill the engine.

that would suck!