Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #80731
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Do you have a dyno on site?
Yes sir. Charts can be seen here: http://www.moto-lab.com/gallery/. There's only a smattering on the gallery home page. More can be found by using http://www.moto-lab.com/gallery/search (although what can be found here is not exhaustive either).
Quote:
Funny story there about Mark.
His name is Marc.
Quote:
All I can confirm is my bike runs like stink.
What are the highest rpm you typically operate the engine at and what is the largest opening?
Quote:
The new carb (about 15K old now) shows no sign of emulsion tube wear or slide guide wear like my first one at 30K miles.
How deep are the depressions concentric to the bore in the bottom corners of the slide guide adjacent to the bore? By what method are you determining emulsion tube wear (or the lack thereof)?
Quote:
Your non USA OEM one, Pro Factory's... and compare to my old (but not yet worn out) DJ needle.
Being manufactured from stainless steel, the DJ needle will probably never wear significantly (but again, this is at the expense of the emulsion tube).
Quote:
I can't afford dyno time
I don't consider testing to get a snapshot of the relevant openings to be all that expensive.
Quote:
... but am pretty tuned into the bike.
Without data, it's pretty hard to tell what's really going on.
Quote:
I must say however .... I thought I may have detected some minor pinging on my ride last week. At high altitude (over 8000 ft., lugging under load with regular gas, 95F temps) Next fill up I switched to Mid Grade fuel and never noticed pinging again. I am not positive it was pinging ... but could have been.

First time I have ever noticed pinging ... but we were climbing STEEP grades ... so maybe that was it? I was pleased that the mid grade boost seemed to help. Or was it all my imagination? Problem is ... many times in the boonies only regular is available. I intend to follow up on this and push the bike some more ... see if it's really pinging or just drive line clatter ... or what?
Cylinder filling will be reduced at higher altitudes, which reduces the tendency to ping. However the air going over the fins also cools less. If you were heavily loading the engine at a relatively low road speed for an extended period, there may just not have been enough cooling capacity to get rid of the heat (which can then cause pinging). It would have been interesting to monitor cylinder head temp.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #80732
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post

I am however working on a new option. ProCycle recently acquired a 3D printer. I'm using it to develop our own replacement taillight that will be a direct fit into the pocket in the fender.
Now yah tell me.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #80733
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstPath View Post
Sorry to hear that Klay. How did it happen? I haven't removed mine yet as I have not gone and really taxed the rear suspension.

It's a known flaw of the DR650...just poorly engineered in that respect. The roller is just in the wrong place.

My wife's roller broke out of the frame early on...I imagine it was because of the lowering kit on her bike, which puts the chain in more of an interference fit with the roller. I thought maybe I could squeak by and leave the roller on mine because I added preload to the rear shock which moves the chain away from the roller. No dice.

I would just remove the upper roller. It's likely going to break out of the frame eventually if left in there. Some people block the threaded hole in the frame with a short stud that ends up flush with the surface of the frame. You don't want to have anything protruding that the chain might hit.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #80734
Mud-N-Rocks
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Yes, it has a new superseded part number and a tiny detail change in the construction plus a gigantic increase in the price. It's my belief that Suzuki has sold so many of them that they think the original 250 taillights are failing. Certainly between keintech and ProCycle we've sold far more taillights than Suzuki ever sold DRZ250s here in the US.

I am however working on a new option. ProCycle recently acquired a 3D printer. I'm using it to develop our own replacement taillight that will be a direct fit into the pocket in the fender.
Thanks for the info, how long do you think it will be before you are selling the 3d printed lights? About how much would they go for?
Mud-N-Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #80735
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud-N-Rocks View Post
Thanks for the info, how long do you think it will be before you are selling the 3d printed lights? About how much would they go for?
As always, when something is in development there are no easy answers to those questions. The price target is around $50 but really the price will depend on the actual cost of the components and assembly labor. I won't know costs until I have something very close to being finalized.

I have a working prototype now but am not 100% happy with it. In reality I would guess I am really only about halfway through the initial development. On the plus side, once I have a good design nailed down the 3D technology will allow me to make additional versions with relatively little additional time and energy.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #80736
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
A similarly setup bike with a stock non-USA needle will be unridable. The OEM needle profile is not compatible with a fully modified airbox. The OEM needle will work fine with the snorkel removed but once you open up the airbox the OEM needle will not have any height setting that will make for a good running motorcycle.
I had carb related problem not so long ago, and to check if I fixed it, I had run mine DR w/o air box side cover. Not sure if it would qualify for "opened airbox", but otherwise all components involved were unmodified OEM. Bike run well, the problem has gone, and I closed the cover. From the riding I do not feel any difference, open/closed, equally good.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #80737
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Yes, it has a new superseded part number and a tiny detail change in the construction plus a gigantic increase in the price. It's my belief that Suzuki has sold so many of them that they think the original 250 taillights are failing. Certainly between keintech and ProCycle we've sold far more taillights than Suzuki ever sold DRZ250s here in the US.
The 'DRZ250 taillight' as you guys refer to it is OEM fitment on the DR650 outside of the US. I wonder why you guys get it on the 250 but get that ugly monstrosity on the 650?

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #80738
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
The 'DRZ250 taillight' as you guys refer to it is OEM fitment on the DR650 outside of the US. I wonder why you guys get it on the 250 but get that ugly monstrosity on the 650?
looks like a big red television set.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #80739
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I wonder why you guys get it on the 250 but get that ugly monstrosity on the 650?
Here in the US the DRZ250 was not street legal. Even though the same taillight is street legal over the rest of the world it does not carry DOT certification numbers. Instead we get the big ugly thing that does have DOT numbers.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #80740
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I believe the HUGE tail light and turn signal thing is a left over Safety-crat thing from Japan. Ever been there? Ever seen the size of turn signals and tail lights on bikes? Comical. It's a remnant from the 70's. I'm not sure our DOT (dept. of trans.) would be that nit picky on tail light size. Maybe back then but not now.

In any case it's all changed up now and our DOT seem to be letting through tiny LED marker lights on various bikes. Suzuki don't change cause they've got thousands of crates of DR650 parts ... and I guess they intend to use every last one!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #80741
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
We don't even get the DR-Z250 as a street-legal moto here. We get a 5spd DR200SE for the small dualsport offering from Suzuki. You would think that the extra 50cc and the 6th gear would make more sense for the US market.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #80742
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I called Kientech last week about the DR250 light kit. They aren't selling them anymore. Suzuki raised the price a lot. That's probably why ProCycles has gone up dramatically.

I just ordered a Maier Enduro Taillight. $24 It's what I had on my last DR650 and it was fine. Doesn't fit the opening exactly but it's close. Never had an issue with the old one.

If you go this route, get the larger of the 2 sizes.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ail-Light.aspx
The Kientech site lists the DR-Z250 tail light for $60. (but no longer available?)

Pro Cycle lists it for : $90 (100% mark up?)

Best Suzuki price I found was from Suzuki parts Monster: $42 (OEM part)

If Pro Cycle can make a replacement one for under $50 ... that is a pretty good deal, IMHO. If it fits like OEM, does not leak and the plastic lens is as tough as the DRZ one ... then good deal all round.

Also, if you need just a replacement lens, Suzuki sells it for about $12.
I bought an extra DRZ250 tail light about three years ago for about $20,
IIRC. Amazing deals on Flea Market.

The Maier one for $24 is good if it doesn't leak.

Pro Cycle sell a very nice LED license light and Alu mount plate for your license plate.

But for $18 for the light and $30 for the simple plate ... I just made my own! (LED bulb just died again! ) I bought an LED lamp from Cycle Gear for $5 or so, and fabbed up the rest. The LED's take a beating off road and fail eventually. (I've been through 3 different ones)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #80743
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The Kientech site lists the DR-Z250 tail light for $60. (but no longer available?)

Pro Cycle lists it for : $90 (100% mark up?)
HA! I wish!!!
Last month we were selling them for $59. We pay more now to buy them than we were selling them for just a couple weeks ago. Keintech discontinued them because of the price increase but has not bothered to remove it from their web site. I guess I could list them for $12 if I wasn't actually going to deliver any. You will probably see them listed for less than cost at some mass OEM part sellers until their cost data gets updated.

Believe me, I do not expect to sell very many of them at $89 each but because of the huge increase in cost from Suzuki we can't sell for less. A business like mine requires a 30% margin to break even. We make about 25% on the taillights but will continue to offer them because I believe it is important to continue to be a one stop shop.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #80744
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
...and Alu mount plate for your license plate...
Stainless steel. I've seen too many aluminum plate holders crack from vibrations.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #80745
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
If Pro Cycle can make a replacement one for under $50 ... that is a pretty good deal, IMHO. If it fits like OEM, does not leak and the plastic lens is as tough as the DRZ one ... then good deal all round.
Yep. It looks like we can do all that. It will also be lit by LED panel so no bulb and socket to corrode or vibrate to bits.