DR650 - Eyes open all of the time
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:38 PM   #80792
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoore View Post
Just picked up a new 2012 DR today. Lots of reading to do to figure out what to do to it! Here is a picture:
What to do to it? RIDE IT!!!!
Old 08-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #80793
BillMoore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Thanks guys! I put 60 miles on it this evening, 15 of that on gravel. Loving it so far!
Old 08-31-2013, 11:11 PM   #80794
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
ride it a lot

Farkling is fun but riding is better. Every improvement I've made I wonder why I didn't do it sooner but I know. Given limited time I choose ride rather than wrench every time. Lube the chain, ride again. Eventually you'll change the oil and make improvements along the way.

I knew I would prefer to not get into slippery conditions with it but can't resist exploring. If you get into something where it's a bit deficient, it'll just make you like it that much more where it shines. I'm continually impressed by this bike, but then today it impressed itself upon me;~)

My TPI master cylinder guard was reverse bent so I had to mount it through the lightening/cooling/coolness holes.

I was wishin for a bit of gravel this afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoore View Post
Thanks guys! I put 60 miles on it this evening, 15 of that on gravel. Loving it so far!

psmcd screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 11:40 PM
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #80795
BillMoore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
And already started on the mods... Moved the lower rear shock bolt to the upper hole, and pushed the front forks up 1" (I'm only 5'7", so the lower seat height will be nice at least until I get used to the bigger bike). Ordered a stock shorter side stand from Amazon, and a 14T front sprocket from Ebay.

I picked up a Moose tailbag while I was at the dealership, and realized that to mount it I will either need to drill 4 holes in the rear fender, or buy an aftermarket rack... Still haven't decided which route to take on that one.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:34 AM   #80796
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
tailbag

Between spare tubes, pump, water, rain gear etc I'm accustomed to the tail bag that came with my bike. Mine has too much crap in it to run without a rack. Plays hell swinging a leg over but I don't want to run panniers for day trippin. I've thought of running the rain & warm gear in a tank saddle to compact the tail more. I'll try it today.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #80797
Rocktown
Reformed

Oddometer: 323
I finally got my break in miles out of the way. I'm going to be doing my break in service this weekend. What oil is everyone putting in there bike. All the xr650 guys suggested rotella so that's what I used in my Xr. I still have a couple gallons. But what's best for the dr?
Rocktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #80798
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcd View Post
Between spare tubes, pump, water, rain gear etc I'm accustomed to the tail bag that came with my bike. Mine has too much crap in it to run without a rack. Plays hell swinging a leg over but I don't want to run panniers for day trippin. I've thought of running the rain & warm gear in a tank saddle to compact the tail more. I'll try it today.
Don't swing your leg over, just get on like mounting a horse. Step up and onto the left peg, and them swing your leg over. Works very well, bags or no bags.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #80799
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktown View Post
I finally got my break in miles out of the way. I'm going to be doing my break in service this weekend. What oil is everyone putting in there bike. All the xr650 guys suggested rotella so that's what I used in my Xr. I still have a couple gallons. But what's best for the dr?
Anything that's wet and slippery.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #80800
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktown View Post
Define break in. 500 miles? 4000? I wouldn't run any synthetic in it until about 4000 miles, so what type of rotella do you have? The 15-40 dino version is fine, but I'd avoid the T6 synthetic until you either get 4000 miles on the rings, or someone tells me I'm wrong here :P

I know the newer motors run synthetic from the factory, but the DR is an older donk and perhaps this rule of thumb still applies?
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #80801
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,248
Close to 3k on mine and just did an oil change before heading out on a 1500 mile trip. No synthetic yet but will switch to it for my next oil change. I will be around 5k.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #80802
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Define break in. 500 miles? 4000? I wouldn't run any synthetic in it until about 4000 miles, so what type of rotella do you have? The 15-40 dino version is fine, but I'd avoid the T6 synthetic until you either get 4000 miles on the rings, or someone tells me I'm wrong here :P

I know the newer motors run synthetic from the factory, but the DR is an older donk and perhaps this rule of thumb still applies?
I agree ... I would not run any synthetic until 3000 to 4000 miles. Beyond that, most any quality synthetic ... WITHOUT FRICTION ADDITIVES ... will be fine in the DR650.

Run a good NON synthetic motorcycle specific oil for break in.
My favorites?
Motul
Spectro
Amsoil
Motorex
Red Line

Here is a good tutorial regards Oil and your DR650 from Zen Seeker:
http://dr650.zenseeker.net/Lubrication.htm
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #80803
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I agree ... I would not run any synthetic until 3000 to 4000 miles. Beyond that, most any quality synthetic ... WITHOUT FRICTION ADDITIVES ... will be fine in the DR650.

Run a good NON synthetic motorcycle specific oil for break in.
My favorites?
Motul
Spectro
Amsoil
Motorex
Red Line

I've never seen dino amsoil Prolly good stuff just like their synthetic.

I also like the Suzuki 10-40 full synthetic. On this trip I've ran many synthetic oils, but the smoothest shifting seems to me to be Amsoil followed closely by the Suzuki stuff. I even tried royal purple because its all I could find and it was noticeably sooner when the notchiness happened (and noticeably purple )

Of course, I'm not trying to start an oil debate. I'll prolly run dino for south america as I'm guessing synthetic will be hard to find.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #80804
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post

Thanks for this. Always looking for hard data rather than opinion on this topic.
It's interesting to note that the new Vettes come with synthetic oil in their very expensive and high-functioning engines. This is a partial list of other new vehicles that use synthetics from day one:
  • Acura RDX
  • Aston Martin
  • All Bentley Vehicles
  • All Cadillac Vehicles
  • Chevrolet Corvette C6 and Z06
  • Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS
  • Chrysler 300C SRT-8
  • Cobalt SS S/C Coupe
  • Dodge Caliber SRT-4, Charger SRT-8, and Magnum SRT-8
  • Jeep Cherokee SRT-8
  • Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles
  • Mercedes SLR
  • Mitsubishi Evolution
  • Pontiac Solstice GXP
  • All Porsche Vehicles
  • Saturn Ion Red Line and Saturn Sky Red Line
  • Viper SRT-10

Here's another source of information on oils (not me): http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

MrBob screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 02:09 PM
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #80805
Keithqueef
n00b

Oddometer: 4
1998 6k miles $1400 just bought off craigslist.[IMG][/IMG]
Keithqueef is offline   Reply With Quote