Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 11:31 AM   #80791
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anklyne View Post
It's been a fun couple of days. My clear 20L (5.3 gallon) Acerbis tank arrived and I had the MT90s swapped out for a D606 rear and MT21 front (apparently there's a shortage of D606 fronts here?)
You wanted the MT21 up front instead of the D606 anyway. The D606 and K760 are good DOT dirt REAR tires, but the MT21 and IRC TR8 are better DOT dirt FRONT tires.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #80792
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootac View Post
at RonAyers.com till end of October,,, PLUS free shipping over Labor Day week-end!
I have a set of Michelin T63s on now,,, but know they won't last long with the mix of paved/gravel roads that I'm doing.
Soooo,,, how are the 705s for a 75/25 mix? At ~$110 a pair,,, can I go wrong?

Can't go wrong! Good tires, they work well pretty much everywhere save Sand, Mud or serious off road.

MC Superstore sell the pair for $115 ... free shipping. That is their "everyday" price, not a sale. 705 prices have gone up 3 times in 4 years. Buy now, they won't be going down again.

For a more 50/50 tire, consider the inexpensive Shinko 244. I've been riding on my first 244 rear, riding mixed conditions. Very good tire and it's lasting very well for a 50/50, IMO. Very good street tire as well, but won't match the 705 ... but probably will out last the 705.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #80793
Anklyne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Does anyone know if the Dual Star rear master cylinder guard is still available for the DR? I can't find it listed on their website :/

Whoever made this image says it's a dual star, and it looks like the guard they have for the KLR

However, Lukas in this thread on ThumperTalk said he got a TPI guard, but it looks a lot more like the Dual star:

From the TPI website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Anklyne - the mods never seem to stop for me. Nice progress so far. I too have stuff sitting in a box waiting to go on.....like the Warp9 starter end cap. I almost didn't want to mount up the Warp9 levers - so well made. Love the feel and adjustability.
Glad to hear about the lever; I'm use to the shorty leaver on my TT, which had a much lighter pull than a cut DR lever. Unfortunately I cut it a tad too short, so it's about sized for about 2.25 fingers
I still need to sort out some luggage too, as well as some extra lighting, GPS, etc. I'm glad I enjoy working on bikes, especially this one, pretty much everything I've done to it is for improvement. The only thing I've had to fix is a weeping cam chain tensioner gasket and check the NSU screws. 25,000Km (at the time) and they were tight, so I assume one of the previous owners had already done them? The exhaust manifold weld had already been ground and reinforced on the outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
You wanted the MT21 up front instead of the D606 anyway. The D606 and K760 are good DOT dirt REAR tires, but the MT21 and IRC TR8 are better DOT dirt FRONT tires.
Yeah, I read that not long ago, so I wasn't concerned. I've used MT21s on my 250 and am happy with them, I just wanted to give the 606s a go :P
Anklyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:32 PM   #80794
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
I know your question was not related to this, but the black cartridge in this picture is supposed to filter the under-diaphragm breather. Unfortunately it does a poor job and in dusty conditions allows the ingress of dirt, which accelerates slide guide and slide wear, which accelerates emulsion tube and jet needle wear, which leads to overly rich mixtures and possibly even the jet needle eventually breaking off. The solution is to install an oiled UNI UP-123 or to add some foam to the existing setup (see http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1086).

Regards,

Derek
Agreed, the filter has been on my list for the next ProCycle order.
Doesn't get much dustier than New Mexico.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #80795
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anklyne View Post
Does anyone know if the Dual Star rear master cylinder guard is still available for the DR? I can't find it listed on their website :/

Whoever made this image says it's a dual star, and it looks like the guard they have for the KLR
There are only a couple of rear brake master cylinders for these sized bikes. The KLR one will possibly/probably fit.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #80796
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 806
I have the TPI master cylinder guard. It's fine and cheap...
http://www.tpimotorcycleparts.com/on...category_id=30
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:16 PM   #80797
Anklyne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
There are only a couple of rear brake master cylinders for these sized bikes. The KLR one will possibly/probably fit.
I thought the KLR one looked VERY similar...

I was after the Dualstar one because it covers more of the master cylinder than the TPI appears to.
I might give making one a go. Simple enough :P
Anklyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:21 PM   #80798
BillMoore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Just picked up a new 2012 DR today. Lots of reading to do to figure out what to do to it! Here is a picture:

Old 08-31-2013, 09:27 PM   #80799
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Welcome! Bill

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

DR650 - Living the Dream!
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #80800
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoore View Post
Just picked up a new 2012 DR today. Lots of reading to do to figure out what to do to it! Here is a picture:
What to do to it? RIDE IT!!!!
Old 08-31-2013, 09:52 PM   #80801
BillMoore
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys! I put 60 miles on it this evening, 15 of that on gravel. Loving it so far!
Old 08-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #80802
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
ride it a lot

Farkling is fun but riding is better. Every improvement I've made I wonder why I didn't do it sooner but I know. Given limited time I choose ride rather than wrench every time. Lube the chain, ride again. Eventually you'll change the oil and make improvements along the way.

I knew I would prefer to not get into slippery conditions with it but can't resist exploring. If you get into something where it's a bit deficient, it'll just make you like it that much more where it shines. I'm continually impressed by this bike, but then today it impressed itself upon me;~)

My TPI master cylinder guard was reverse bent so I had to mount it through the lightening/cooling/coolness holes.

I was wishin for a bit of gravel this afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoore View Post
Thanks guys! I put 60 miles on it this evening, 15 of that on gravel. Loving it so far!

psmcd screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 10:40 PM
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #80803
BillMoore
Gnarly Adventurer

And already started on the mods... Moved the lower rear shock bolt to the upper hole, and pushed the front forks up 1" (I'm only 5'7", so the lower seat height will be nice at least until I get used to the bigger bike). Ordered a stock shorter side stand from Amazon, and a 14T front sprocket from Ebay.

I picked up a Moose tailbag while I was at the dealership, and realized that to mount it I will either need to drill 4 holes in the rear fender, or buy an aftermarket rack... Still haven't decided which route to take on that one.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #80804
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
tailbag

Between spare tubes, pump, water, rain gear etc I'm accustomed to the tail bag that came with my bike. Mine has too much crap in it to run without a rack. Plays hell swinging a leg over but I don't want to run panniers for day trippin. I've thought of running the rain & warm gear in a tank saddle to compact the tail more. I'll try it today.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #80805
Rocktown
Reformed

Oddometer: 323
I finally got my break in miles out of the way. I'm going to be doing my break in service this weekend. What oil is everyone putting in there bike. All the xr650 guys suggested rotella so that's what I used in my Xr. I still have a couple gallons. But what's best for the dr?
Rocktown is offline   Reply With Quote