Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2006, 04:00 PM   #796
shoco
Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrider
No photo, but it's basically just a piece of aluminum stock that's the right length, with a bolt through one end. You put the bolt into the hole of the brake pedal pivot, then put the piece against the ground and push the bike onto it. If it's the right length, and ideally has a slight bend after the bolt, the bike will be resting somewhat precariously on the sidestand and the prop with the back wheel off the ground.
Cool. Good description. Sounds like it works on the same principle as this stand I purchased for my Vstrom (when I had it), which looked like this:

Although in this case, there were two legs for the bike to rest on (instead of the one you mentioned). Getting the bike up in the first place sounds the same though, where you pushed it onto the right leg.

Thanks for the info.
shoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 11:21 PM   #797
Vampire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrider
it's basically just a piece of aluminum stock that's the right length
I recently met a DR650 owner with essentially the same solution, except that all he had was an oversized tent peg. Stuck the short end in the hole in the rear brake lever pivot and rocked the bike back so that it was sitting on the tent peg and the left kick stand.
I bought a large peg, 300mm long x 9mm thick, but it was too short.
So I'm hunting for one about 360mm long, or will get a metal shop to cut a length of rod for me.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:00 AM   #798
bing
Freerider

Oddometer: 76
On a different note I have just made some major modification to my DR.

I have just finished fitting a set of 2002 DRZ250 forks that I bought off ebay (very cheaply I might add for US$56 plus shipping to Australia - total about AUD$250). I have fitted the DRZ top triple clamp otherwise the forks fit straight into the DR clamps as they have the same diameter.

They have more travel but I have simply raised the forks in the clamps and am experimenting with a good base set up.

I took the heavier aftermarket fork springs out of my DR forks and they fit straight into the DRZ forks - although these springs are shorter than standard DR springs but the same length as DRZ springs - so be careful there.

I put new fork oil but need to experiment further with heights. I'll post some pictures soon but it has worked out to be a cheap way of having a set of good cartridge forks with adjustment for both compression rebound as well.

The ride is far superior to the DR forks but predictably has highlighted the need for a more compliant rear set up. I'll either have the rear revalved or contemplate a WP or Ohlins set up. The bike definitely handles rocky surfaces much better and ploughs less in the sand too to create a confidence inspiring set up.

The only real hassles has been creating an adapter bracket for the brake caliper. I have a finished steel bracket and am willing to display dimensions and a template if anyone is interested. Some filing of the fork leg caliper mount was required but you could get fancier and use billet aluminium and have a professional machine it for you.

As the DR caliper is the same mounting holes as the DRZ you could also just purchase a DRZ sized (250mm I think) front disc and fit that.

I changed back to the standard DR650 top triple clamp as it gave a higher handlebar height. I also raised the forks in the clamps to a height of 20mm (from fork top to triple clamp) with the std clamps.

Compression is set at full (perhaps indicating a need for slightly different valving or more fork oil)
Rebound is at 6 out from full hard but a late change to 8 out give a more compliant ride - so good news there with some scope for more adjustment over differing surfaces.

All in all it has allowed a much quicker pace over rough trails and single track for very little outlay.

Now for that rear shock...

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:24 AM   #799
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,153
im getting 380KMs to a tank .IMS

the only thing i dont like is reserve is to big over 100KMs
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:20 AM   #800
Racerwrtr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Need a front 21-inch rim for a 1995 DR650

Has anybody got a source for a 1995 DR650 front wheel (21-inch). The dealer wants around $200 and there doesn't seem to be anything aftermarket. Any ideas? Also, why do I seem to be the only person here with a pre-1996 DR650?

Kevin in MN
Racerwrtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:46 AM   #801
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishguide
I like it and went on their web site but not sure if I found that exact one. Do you have a part number or description? Also how many bolts are used to mount it to the fender. Wasn't sure from the photo.

Thanks
Jack
I don't recall specifically, it was hanging on the wall of a local motorcycle shop. The one I got was for a Yamaha or Honda, there definitely isn't one specifically for the DR650, it has to be adapted. I think they have two variations that are very similar. I had to bend it a little bit drill a couple of holes in it to mount it and just tied the LED light to the existing tail light, no big deal.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:31 AM   #802
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,561
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance
I don't recall specifically, it was hanging on the wall of a local motorcycle shop. The one I got was for a Yamaha or Honda, there definitely isn't one specifically for the DR650, it has to be adapted. I think they have two variations that are very similar. I had to bend it a little bit drill a couple of holes in it to mount it and just tied the LED light to the existing tail light, no big deal.
More than likely the 60-2051 as it does not have a tail light, just license
plate light. FC Slim is running stock tail light in Pic
Im going to give it a try......
Thanks Slim
"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and the pig likes it. George Bernard Shaw
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:40 AM   #803
goon_rider
n00b

Oddometer: 9
DR help.....pls

sounds like just the thing we need....

here is my post:

I recently bought a '96 DR650, bike goes well but backfires like crazy, I heard its normal as the stock pipe backfires as well but only softer, it currently has an Airage pipe on it, but it looks like a home made job with an Airage badge on it, how do I solve the backfire, I heard about changing jets, what jets should I look at putting in, getting concerned as it seems to get noisier (like engine noise) and getting weaker. It has about 36 000+ miles on it, and I have no idea when last it has been opened.

Im also looking for a larger tank and touring screen, any tips? We don't really get acerbis here and I see they only have the really big tanks for the older (pre '96) models, and read that the IMS tanks have problems with their petcocks. I have heard of guys putting XR tanks on DR's with minor adjustments, do someone know what model precisely that would be?

Anyhow, any info and comment would be much appreciated.

G N
Old 08-14-2006, 11:45 AM   #804
dmrrallen
Thermonuclear projection

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
I know this has been posted already but I can't find the photos as the DR threads are getting extensive.

I just installed the small tail light from Jessie www.kientech.com and was looking for some ideas about mounting the license plate. I've already removed the sub fender where the plate and light used to live. I don't care about the license plate light but would like a decent mount for the plate.

I rember a couple of trick set ups with photos but can't locate the pages.

Thanks
Jack
I just used a piece of scrap stainless steel, used the two holes the old inner fender was mounted to and tada!
dmrrallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:50 PM   #805
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Aqualine Safari tank range

Quote:
Originally Posted by InertiaDR650
how many kms are you guys getting from one of those safari tanks ? or the ims ?
I filled up at 650 kms yesterday and I hadn't switched to reserve yet. I had been taking it pretty easy on it.

The Aqualine Safari has two petcocks. I keep the right one turned off, and switch it on when I run out. I think of this as my 'early warning reserve'. When it runs out I then flip both petcocks over to reserve and I am still good for at least 100km.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:17 PM   #806
AKParrothead
Alaska Motonaut

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by goon_rider
Im also looking for a larger tank and touring screen, any tips? [I] read that the IMS tanks have problems with their petcocks. I have heard of guys putting XR tanks on DR's with minor adjustments, do someone know what model precisely that would be?
Don't be afraid of the IMS tank. If you happen to get a bum petcock they can be fixed without much trouble. Talk to IMS directly and see if they have any of their tanks with two holes, so your stock petcock will work. If not the single tube petcock works just fine. Just watch the gasket dosen't disentigrate b/c of contact with gasoline. Check out the windshield from Parabellum. http://www.parabellum.com/stores/sho..._ID=44&CATID=1

'97 DR 350
'08 Ural Patrol
AKParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:46 PM   #807
Speaker
What's an estart?

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing
I have just finished fitting a set of 2002 DRZ250 forks that I bought off ebay (very cheaply I might add for US$56 plus shipping to Australia - total about AUD$250). I have fitted the DRZ top triple clamp otherwise the forks fit straight into the DR clamps as they have the same diameter.
That is so awesome.
Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:11 PM   #808
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,074
Jack,
Here's my simple setup...no prob's with the popo yet....

Quote:
I know this has been posted already but I can't find the photos as the DR threads are getting extensive.

I just installed the small tail light from Jessie www.kientech.com and was looking for some ideas about mounting the license plate. I've already removed the sub fender where the plate and light used to live. I don't care about the license plate light but would like a decent mount for the plate.

I rember a couple of trick set ups with photos but can't locate the pages.

Thanks
Jack

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:21 PM   #809
shoco
Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Help Please

You can read below, but I'm an idiot, because I think the problem is that I'm out of gas. I'm confused, because my trip meter only says 82 miles. Maybe I didn't set it immediately after my last fill up, but I'm pretty sure I did. I'll post an update, for anyone who cares.

Sorry for the post. I don't know how to delete them, though.

I just changed the oil and oil filter on my '05 DR650. I used
Shell ROTELLA T Synthetic 5W-40. Everything seemed to go smoothly (other than some oil dripping out of the filter reservoir and under the skidplate. No big deal though.). I put in 2.4litres, as per the manual.

As soon as I finished the job, I fired her up and went for a ride. Everything went fine for the first mile, and then the bike started feeling like it was going to stall. I would let the clutch out and the engine started to die. I'd give it more throttle, but that didn't do anything. I was very close to home, so I headed there and checked the bike out, and there are no leaks, everything's tight.

What's the deal?

Should I not have used this oil? What else could it be?

Thanks for the assistance.

P.S. This bike is ridden everyday, it has not been sitting, and I didn't do any work on the carb tonight.

shoco screwed with this post 08-14-2006 at 10:32 PM Reason: Because I'm An Idiot
shoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:08 PM   #810
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoco
You can read below, but I'm an idiot, because I think the problem is that I'm out of gas. I'm confused, because my trip meter only says 82 miles. Maybe I didn't set it immediately after my last fill up, but I'm pretty sure I did. I'll post an update, for anyone who cares.

Sorry for the post. I don't know how to delete them, though.

I just changed the oil and oil filter on my '05 DR650. I used
Shell ROTELLA T Synthetic 5W-40. Everything seemed to go smoothly (other than some oil dripping out of the filter reservoir and under the skidplate. No big deal though.). I put in 2.4litres, as per the manual.

As soon as I finished the job, I fired her up and went for a ride. Everything went fine for the first mile, and then the bike started feeling like it was going to stall. I would let the clutch out and the engine started to die. I'd give it more throttle, but that didn't do anything. I was very close to home, so I headed there and checked the bike out, and there are no leaks, everything's tight.

What's the deal?

Should I not have used this oil? What else could it be?

Thanks for the assistance.

P.S. This bike is ridden everyday, it has not been sitting, and I didn't do any work on the carb tonight.

Where is the oil reading in the window?
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote