Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #81421
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick View Post
That made me giggle! My last 2-smoke "trail bike" was a 1977 Husky 390CR that I purchased new. I brought it over to my friends freshly disked bean field, came over a rize on the pipe in top gear and the power along with the air under the front fender looped me off the back on my very first ride! Once I knew the bike I still was constantly amazed that when in the first couple gears on hard dirt, spinning the tire hard and then letting off the gas made the bike wheelie at closed throttle. Anti-social as hell but what fun!
Haaa !!

Yep, ya had to be ready when the spinning rear tire would hook up, and start the front tire to hover above the dirt if you backed off !

'77 Husky's allways remind me of Red Bud Track and Trail in MI, with Chuck Sun as a factory 250 pilot back then ! Still have the autographed poster.

God those were gorgeous bikes !
Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #81422
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiSSsp View Post
Hi Guys,
Been perusing this thread for the past......who knows how many years and been itchin for a street legal dual sport. A few DR's on craigslist locally, but would rather buy new. Question is...does anyone know what color the 2014 will be? I hate the Grey for '12 & '13 and would rather have white or yellow. Next I was wondering if anyone has take suspension from a dedicated off road bike and put it on a DR. For example, I have a '01 WR426F sitting in my garage that I dont ride much and instead of not getting much for it, thought I could cannibalize the suspension and carb and slap it on a DR?
Lots of fire/logging roads up here in WA to explore......
TIA,
Bryce
I don't like the Lo-Viz grey either. It almost makes me wonder if Suzuki is trying to make the DR less popular so that they can have some reason to retire it. Luckily, plastics are easy to swap. Procycle and a few other vendors can get you new plastics in various colors. I like having a white shroud, white side panels, and white handguards, then swapping between blue, black, yellow, and white fenders. Use a transparent tank for utility/versatility, or pick a color you want to stick with. I like blue tanks and fenders with the white accents that I mentioned previously, but my current tank is a ratty-looking white IMS. I don't even use a DR front fender. Others are pretty easy to swap on.

Many dirt suspensions have been swapped onto DRs. Many people just upgrade the stock pieces with appropriate springs, better damping adjustability, and fork braces.

Pumper flat-slide carbs are popular DR upgrades too. The TM40 or FCR39-MX are commonly used.

Also see www.drriders.com, the DR650 wikia webpage, www.procycle.us, and www.kientech.com for a bunch more DR upgrade info.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #81423
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
yes, yes, a thousand times yes!!!

In the Star Wars Canyon vid, replace the canyon walls with overgrown palmetto bushes and that's what we Florida riders call "hardpack". Sand is pretty much a given here. We don't even have much for dirt or gravel roads. They're all sand or clay. You either get used to riding sand, or you just don't ride off-pavement around here. Sand definitely takes some practice, and a front knob helped me get the confidence to pick up the pace to make it easier. With just 2yrs of regular off-pavement riding under my belt now, I can ride some fairly-pillowy sand on my street tires now, even on my streetbike, as long as it's not hilly or I don't have to turn sharply at low speeds. Hills get you stuck or washed out without paddles/knobs. Slow turns wash you out too, without a front knob. With regard to skills, it's like swimming for me. If I don't do it for a while, I notice that my skill/efficiency has deteriorated. If you spend all weekend riding soft sand and pushing yourself, sand gets pretty easy by the time Monday comes around.

The rocky trail above the vid is similar to what we might encounter in GA, TN, SC, NC, or VA...but appeared to be a bit more dry. I wouldn't want to ride a DR in those rocks with the typical stiff suspension for jumps and whoops, but a 14T, relatively-soft springs, and adjusted-soft damping on the fat girl would probably make it a bit easier than it looks. The DR surprised a few people when I was riding in N GA last autumn. I had troubles in spots where things were relatively easy for the guys on knobbied enduros...slick clay and sharp turns on uneven ground. I was running a K761 rear and a 244 front. By the time we got to the rocky climbs, they didn't think I'd be able to make it, but they were the ones who got bounced around...while the DR pretty much tractored right up like I was riding a LaZBoy mounted on a John Deere.

Where I seem to have most trouble offroad on the DR these days is climbing ledges. Coming up rooted ledges out of creeks or ponds, I can usually wheely the front end up easily enough, but I can't hop the back end up like trials/enduro riders do. I might just need more speed, and a bit of practice. I might also be biting off more than one can easily chew on a 350lb+ DR. You can see my issue in the latest pic of the Great Spacecoaster thread in the Regional: Sandbox forum.

I'd say that I also have an issue with holding the DR up on uneven ground, if I stop in the wrong place and my feet don't touch well, but I can pick the bike up easily enough if I just let it go over instead of fighting it. I just get out of the way, and hoist it back up a few seconds later.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.

Kommando screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 05:41 PM
Old 09-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #81424
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
"Sweet" is not the first word to come to mind when I look back at my time with the 380 EXC.

"POTENT" comes first, followed shortly by "TERRIFYING".

Even with the powervalve set at the softest hit, it would either rip the knobs right off a Michelin rear, or loft the headlight to look at the moon at 50 MPH !

I bought it without a test ride, thinking it would be a great out west enduro.
I knew why everybody was raveing about the "little" 300 EXC within my first 50 miles of serious offroad with it. You rarely ever saw 3rd gear on the pipe.

In 5th when it was wound up, you virtually needed a pilots license with a low altitude waiver. The words "Crazy, Stupid, Fast" come to mind. It would walk its way out of a concrete floor garage if you left it idleing on the sidestand unattended. It could lay a black stripe all the way through 3rd on pavement if you leaned over the tank, and would lift the front wheel at the slightest tug on the bars if it could hook up.

The only bike more insane I had ridden was a KX 500 or the ancient TM 400......which was by far the biggest death wish, if you could get it started back in '73.
I had a 495 KTM also,1st 495 year with two shocks on it. That bike reminded me of the 750 Triumph I owned at the same time.
Lotsa smooth bottom end,lotsa smooth mid range but then unlike the Triumph it would rev out like a really big 250 and scream to insane speeds in a heartbeat..............But it had little baby drum brakes ft and rear and didnt much like to turn unless it was being drifted under power.

A buddy thought it was smart to roost me with rocks on his KDX,later he got nearly roosted off his bike by the 495,he ended up with a broken chest protector,broken headlight, from the swath of destruction coming off the rear of the 495. It would chuck rocks a loooong ways.

Fun bike!
Old 09-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #81425
DucatiSSsp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
I don't like the Lo-Viz grey either. It almost makes me wonder if Suzuki is trying to make the DR less popular so that they can have some reason to retire it. Luckily, plastics are easy to swap. Procycle and a few other vendors can get you new plastics in various colors. I like having a white shroud, white side panels, and white handguards, then swapping between blue, black, yellow, and white fenders. Use a transparent tank for utility/versatility, or pick a color you want to stick with. I like blue tanks and fenders with the white accents that I mentioned previously, but my current tank is a ratty-looking white IMS. I don't even use a DR front fender. Others are pretty easy to swap on.

Many dirt suspensions have been swapped onto DRs. Many people just upgrade the stock pieces with appropriate springs, better damping adjustability, and fork braces.

Pumper flat-slide carbs are popular DR upgrades too. The TM40 or FCR39-MX are commonly used.

Also see www.drriders.com, the DR650 wikia webpage, www.procycle.us, and www.kientech.com for a bunch more DR upgrade info.
Thanks for the Info! Visability is a concern when riding on the streets now and a brighter color helps. Will prolly buy a slightly used one and go w/ larger tank/seat and suspension mods first.
Cheers!
'97 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100i
DucatiSSsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #81426
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cu.in.of.furey View Post
What I don't understand is that out of the box the Dr650 is only 20 lbs heavier than the DRZ 400 so if u swap out the stainless exhaust and put a plastic gas tank on the Dr u way the same as a DRZ. I've done hero sections on my Dr granted a little slower than a ktm or cards but the bike will do it. The desire and confidence has to be there, but the torque that the bike makes gets me out of a lot of sticky situations. The sand is a challenge for me but it always has even when I had an RM 250!
The DR is similar in weight to the DR-Z...dry vs curb. Add fluids to the DR (fork oil, shock oil, grease, engine oil, brake fluid, battery, and gasoline) and it's around 45-50lb heavier than the dizzer. The DR exhaust can be shaved by about 8lb. The battery can be shaved by about 5lb. The Clarke tank only saves a pound or 2, IIRC. The rear fender crap can be shaved by about 4lb. Taking off unneeded brackets and bits can shave another 5-10lb maybe...helmet lock, passenger pegs, passenger handles, upper chain-roller, bar-end weights, chainguard, snorkel, airbox top, etc. Swap on lighter bars, mirrors, and lighting to shave another 5lb or so. Swap the factory spacers for PVC, when upgrading the springs, and shave another pound or so. That's about 35-40lb, by my count.

Then figure on adding a skid and some handguards.

I'd guess that one could get a DR close in weight to a stock dizzer. The 650's torque, with decent carbing and a 14T, sure pulls me through some places that I wouldn't have made as easily on a peaky revver.

Kommando screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 06:17 PM
Old 09-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #81427
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
no camera necessary

You guys are on a roll with the imagery. The nostalgia's getting so thick I'm gonna start remembering the long forgotten.

In 5th when it was wound up, you virtually needed a pilots license with a low altitude waiver. The words "Crazy, Stupid, Fast" come to mind. It would walk its way out of a concrete floor garage if you left it idleing on the sidestand unattended. It could lay a black stripe all the way through 3rd on pavement if you leaned over the tank, and would lift the front wheel at the slightest tug on the bars if it could hook up.

I brought it over to my friends freshly disked bean field, came over a rize on the pipe in top gear and the power along with the air under the front fender looped me off the back on my very first ride! Once I knew the bike I still was constantly amazed that when in the first couple gears on hard dirt, spinning the tire hard and then letting off the gas made the bike wheelie at closed throttle. Anti-social as hell but what fun!

Yep, ya had to be ready when the spinning rear tire would hook up, and start the front tire to hover above the dirt if you backed off !

And Kommando brings us back to earth:

...while the DR pretty much tractored right up like I was riding a LaZBoy mounted on a John Deere.

All this speed imagery has me on a tangent. Anybody remember Mort Sahl's "Charmed By A Snake" (Playboy article about his AC Cobra)? Got a copy? Hope I'm not too far off topic but anyone who's read it will vouch for its funny about fast.

psmcd screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 06:28 PM
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #81428
Rocktown
Reformed

Oddometer: 323
Sense we are talking about nostalgia... My dad had a yz490 when I was a kid. I was riding it before I was tall enough to reach the ground. He would start it for me and hold it up while I took off then I would just have to leave it running and coast up to trees and let it fall against them to get off. If I had to stop unexpectedly it would just hit its side and eventually some one would come find me and help me start it and take off again. I know that wasn't one of the best bikes ever made but to a gouge kid it was like riding a rocket. I would still buy one today if I found a good deal on it, just because.
Rocktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #81429
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,135
When I left riding for a bit due to 3 kids and family obligations, I was on a '83 IT490 2 stroke. It was a beast.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/4064420786.html <--this one is just like my old one and I'm having to restrain myself from getting it. Ya better be in good boots if it kicked back on the downstroke.

I'm first up for a '79 Husky WR390 - the gold & black one - from a buddy so I'm waiting for that. He's 69 and still takes it out twice a year to wring it's neck.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #81430
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktown View Post
Sense we are talking about nostalgia... My dad had a yz490 when I was a kid. I was riding it before I was tall enough to reach the ground. He would start it for me and hold it up while I took off then I would just have to leave it running and coast up to trees and let it fall against them to get off. If I had to stop unexpectedly it would just hit its side and eventually some one would come find me and help me start it and take off again.
Coming from only low-seat mini-bikes, mopeds, scooters, standards, cruisers, and a friend's occasional sportbike, that's actually kind of how I pictured myself on a 650 dualsport before I got the DR.

According to my fiancee, I was not incorrect.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #81431
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
When I left riding for a bit due to 3 kids and family obligations, I was on a '83 IT490 2 stroke. It was a beast.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/4064420786.html <--this one is just like my old one and I'm having to restrain myself from getting it. Ya better be in good boots if it kicked back on the downstroke.

I'm first up for a '79 Husky WR390 - the gold & black one - from a buddy so I'm waiting for that. He's 69 and still takes it out twice a year to wring it's neck.
Regarding IT490 and "having to restrain myself." GAWD those things were a blast!

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #81432
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
[QUOTE=AKASY;22334831]

Would you want to be on a DR here?
[QUOTE]

I have ridden my DR on rocky trails like that, many times over.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #81433
Rocktown
Reformed

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post

If I lived in California I would already be on my way to get that yz490 for that price. You can't find anything in Arkansas for less ten $1200 unless its stolen.
Rocktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #81434
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 706
If somebody woulda come up to me 35 years ago as I sat on the start line for a 125 B race, and told me I would be rideing a 650 enduro that was a FOUR STROKE, with a ELECTRIC STARTER, that had floppy saddlebags to carry beer, sandwiches, Ibuprofen and reading glasses, my first question to them would have been......"Show me where to buy what your smokin ! "

Gotta admit, the user friendly, mellow habit DR is a welcome addition after decades of Pucker and flinch moments on hair raiseing, ill mannered vintage dirtbikes.

Never woulda thought the wisdom of old age would actually have been this helpful !
Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #81435
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
If somebody woulda come up to me 35 years ago as I sat on the start line for a 125 B race, and told me I would be rideing a 650 enduro that was a FOUR STROKE, with a ELECTRIC STARTER, that had floppy saddlebags to carry beer, sandwiches, Ibuprofen and reading glasses, my first question to them would have been......"Show me where to buy what your smokin ! "
Yup. The imagery in this thread is top-notch.