Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #81421
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick View Post
I hope this helps to demystify the reservoir thing a bit. I apologize for my poor writing skills. I left out a lot of what could be said to keep things more simple and stop my fingers from bleeding but am happy to answer questions.
Apologize?

Please, it's us who must thank you for that write-up. The entire discussion should be pinned somewhere (maybe over in DRriders) becuase that was a great review of what Cogent delivers. Thanks Rick. I'm sure you just earned a few more customers.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #81422
JNS Engineering
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Black satin powder coat!

JNS Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #81423
Rocktown
Reformed

Oddometer: 323
Question

I got to take my dr off road for the first time. I have wondered several times during breaking if I should have gotten a drz-400 or another xr650l. But I was more then impressed with my dr today. It did great on everything I put it throught today, except the sand pit. And that very well may have been my lack of experience. My local ohv park has a variety of terain and trails. It was pretty dry today so I only found a little mud. But it did great on the trails even the heavily rutted and root tangled (hard dried) trails. The sand road was a little trickey. But all in all it exceeded my expectations, even while shode with the stock trail wings. I have been very happy with the bike on the slab sense day one. the dr is the best all around bike I have ever been on. I see myself having years of fun with it. Can't wait to start "farkeling" with it now.
Rocktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #81424
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktown View Post
I got to take my dr off road for the first time. I have wondered several times during breaking if I should have gotten a drz-400 or another xr650l. But I was more then impressed with my dr today. It did great on everything I put it throught today, except the sand pit. And that very well may have been my lack of experience. My local ohv park has a variety of terain and trails. It was pretty dry today so I only found a little mud. But it did great on the trails even the heavily rutted and root tangled (hard dried) trails. The sand road was a little trickey. But all in all it exceeded my expectations, even while shode with the stock trail wings. I have been very happy with the bike on the slab sense day one. the dr is the best all around bike I have ever been on. I see myself having years of fun with it. Can't wait to start "farkeling" with it now.
I dont get how some people can say this bike can only do fire roads. I wont bore you all with my pedigree of dirt this trip, but suffice to say its been intense at moments and I have no experience in the dirt so it isnt me. It will never be fast, but it will go some really nasty places if you have the balls and arent afraid of throttle.

Sand. What tires do you have on the bike? If you still have the trailwings AKA deathwings, sand will be horrible no matter your skill. The tire is supposed to be even worse (read: impossible) in the mud. With a set of knobbies the DR will do sand, but it is heavy and you cant be afraid of throttle. Down where I live in Pensacola we have really brutal sugar sand- it sucks but applying throttle to get the front wheel to float helps. Trick is when the sand goes for miles. I usually accelerate until im at my speed limit of comfort, drop to the seat and paddle while slowing down, then start accelerating again (standing). I know some guys can do miles at a steady speed standing without issue, but I havent gotten the skill yet. I try to steer with my feet/pegs, but when I hit a rut I need throttle or ill eat shit.

Anyways, enough rambling. Congrats on the bike. Try to be nice to your wallet, because farkeling is going to kill it
GSF1200S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #81425
Rocktown
Reformed

Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
I dont get how some people can say this bike can only do fire roads. I wont bore you all with my pedigree of dirt this trip, but suffice to say its been intense at moments and I have no experience in the dirt so it isnt me. It will never be fast, but it will go some really nasty places if you have the balls and arent afraid of throttle.

Sand. What tires do you have on the bike? If you still have the trailwings AKA deathwings, sand will be horrible no matter your skill. The tire is supposed to be even worse (read: impossible) in the mud. With a set of knobbies the DR will do sand, but it is heavy and you cant be afraid of throttle. Down where I live in Pensacola we have really brutal sugar sand- it sucks but applying throttle to get the front wheel to float helps. Trick is when the sand goes for miles. I usually accelerate until im at my speed limit of comfort, drop to the seat and paddle while slowing down, then start accelerating again (standing). I know some guys can do miles at a steady speed standing without issue, but I havent gotten the skill yet. I try to steer with my feet/pegs, but when I hit a rut I need throttle or ill eat shit.

Anyways, enough rambling. Congrats on the bike. Try to be nice to your wallet, because farkeling is going to kill it
Much agreed. Granted its not a true dirt bike but it will do everything I want to do. And yes I'm still riding on trail wings.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #81426
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktown View Post
I got to take my DR off road for the first time. I have wondered several times during break-in if I should have gotten a DR-Z400 or another XR650L, but I was more than impressed with my DR today. It did great on everything I put it through today, except the sand pit, and that very well may have been my lack of experience. My local ohv park has a variety of terrain and trails. It was pretty dry today so I only found a little mud, but it did great on the trails, even the heavily rutted and root-tangled (hard dried) trails. The sand road was a little tricky, but all in all it exceeded my expectations, even while shod with the stock Trail Wings. I have been very happy with the bike on the slab since day one. The DR is the best all around bike I have ever been on. I see myself having years of fun with it. 'Can't wait to start "farkeling" with it now.
Armor it up, throw on some knobs, and set up the suspension. It aint no trials bike or race enduro, but the DR can go some crazy places and be a lot of fun doing it. Sand gets considerably easier with at least an aggressive front knob and enough experience/confidence to give it the gas while standing. Mine still runs slab pretty nicely too, and I ride in the sandy and muddy woods with 450 enduros some weekends.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:45 AM   #81427
Indytriumph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
How are they attached to the bottom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNS Engineering View Post
New JNS offering for the DR650....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919769

Indytriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #81428
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
I made something similar to that in mild steel then welded it through a hole roughly where that hole is. That looks like it would be bolted but im not sure.

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #81429
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,122
Dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Armor it up, throw on some knobs, and set up the suspension. It aint no trials bike or race enduro, but the DR can go some crazy places and be a lot of fun doing it. Sand gets considerably easier with at least an aggressive front knob and enough experience/confidence to give it the gas while standing. Mine still runs slab pretty nicely too, and I ride in the sandy and muddy woods with 450 enduros some weekends.
I would not have a DR (not my first) if it did not have a place in my riding. IMHO it is not and never will be more than a great 80-20 bike---long pavement rides to limited dirt. It is excellent on fire roads and getting to fire roads. It is passable in my opinion for limited off road. Can an excellent rider get it through some tough off road--absolutely--but an excellent rider is more than likely going to be on a KTM 525 or similar. I would rate my 525 as an 20-80 bike--relatively short paved sections between gnarly dirt sections. Here are some pics of where I consider the DR to be "at home" and one where I would not want to be on the DR. IMHO some knobs and suspension work can't make up for the weight, suspension travel and ground clearance. The best example of the weight is deep sugar sand, lot of it in the dez out here. The DR has the power to plane up and as long as you are going in a bee line fine---but turning will demonstrate Newton's laws of motion
Basic Fire Road that got washed out.

DR Handles the short washout--I had just ridden thru--looking back.

Where I would not want to be on my DR....

Would you want to be on a DR here?

AKASY screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 09:12 AM
AKASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #81430
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by akasy View Post
Where i would not want to be on my dr....

would you want to be on a dr here?
yes, yes, a thousand times yes!!!

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #81431
teaguenotes

Oddometer: 18
Just wanted to share the link to my ride report from a trip I took on my DR this summer. Bike worked great the whole way!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918794
teaguenotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #81432
Rocktown
Reformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
I would not have a DR (not my first) if it did not have a place in my riding. IMHO it is not and never will be more than a great 80-20 bike---long pavement rides to limited dirt. It is excellent on fire roads and getting to fire roads. It is passable in my opinion for limited off road. Can an excellent rider get it through some tough off road--absolutely--but an excellent rider is more than likely going to be on a KTM 525 or similar. I would rate my 525 as an 20-80 bike--relatively short paved sections between gnarly dirt sections. Here are some pics of where I consider the DR to be "at home" and one where I would not want to be on the DR. IMHO some knobs and suspension work can't make up for the weight, suspension travel and ground clearance. The best example of the weight is deep sugar sand, lot of it in the dez out here. The DR has the power to plane up and as long as you are going in a bee line fine---but turning will demonstrate Newton's laws of motion
Basic Fire Road that got washed out.

DR Handles the short washout--I had just ridden thru--looking back.

Where I would not want to be on my DR....

Would you want to be on a DR here?
Considering I'm in Arkansas I would have to say I have no sand experience so I would have to sit back an watch you guys ride in the desert. But it did look like you had a blast I'm you video. I'm jealous. I can say that I had my stock dr on trail wings in similar locations as all three pictures you posted. A few places might have been a little worse. That's why I am so impressed with this heavy dual sport dr 650. Did it have some short comings? Yes. But it is by far the best big dual sport I've been on. I've been riding off road sense I was 11, but I am by no means a mx guy. That's why I'm impressed by the dr. Can't wait to hit the trails again.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #81433
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
yes, yes, a thousand times yes!!!
+1

I have enjoyed places like that. Its a matter of preference I suppose. I've had a ear to ear grin coming out of many a rock farms and that's with 50lbs of luggage.

Would a 525 be a better tool? Yerp. Still fun on a DR though :P
GSF1200S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #81434
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
[QUOTE=AKASY;22334831] IMHO it is not and never will be more than a great 80-20 bike---long pavement rides to limited dirt. It is excellent on fire roads and getting to fire roads. It is passable in my opinion for limited off road. Can an excellent rider get it through some tough off road--absolutely--but an excellent rider is more than likely going to be on a KTM 525 or similar. I would rate my 525 as an 20-80 bike--relatively short paved sections between gnarly dirt sections.The DR has the power to plane up and as long as you are going in a bee line fine---but turning will demonstrate Newton's laws of motion

I more or less agree but after 25+ years without a bike and having only the DR I've found myself at 70/30 and sometimes wondering why I was in a boulder climb like your picture. You can improve the suspension to work in the rough in a straight line. It works fine for moderate washboard and fire roading. But try hitting the rough stuff while climbing/descending or turning and the weight creates a rodeo. I hope to avoid mud and sand but will venture a little, just to get somewhere.

True dirt bikes skip along at speed in the rough with gyroscopic stability. The relative weight of the gyros (the wheels) to the DR doesn't offer the same advantage. Dirt bike suspension has 25% more travel to deal with 25% less load. If you ride the DR in an skilled, athletic fashion you can get through some tough stuff but it will work you hard. I think Berg, Rusty Rocket, Kommando and a few others here run it to the limits. I would just caution the less experienced riders that heavy bikes can be a dangerous way to learn off-roading. Be fit, limber and nimble to get off and away quickly if necessary, and that's only possible some of the time at lower speeds.

All that said I am continually impressed and happy with the DR's capabilities. Great range, smooth, quiet and stable on the road, and more than decent ability on dirt roads and moderate single track.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #81435
40cu.in.of.furey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
What I don't understand is that out of the box the Dr650 is only 20 lbs heavier than the DRZ 400 so if u swap out the stainless exhaust and put a plastic gas tank on the Dr u way the same as a DRZ. I've done hero sections on my Dr granted a little slower than a ktm or cards but the bike will do it. The desire and confidence has to be there, but the torque that the bike makes gets me out of a lot of sticky situations. The sand is a challenge for me but it always has even when I had an RM 250!

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2
40cu.in.of.furey is online now   Reply With Quote