Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #81421
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 598
Two friends of mine owned the 250 Hercs. They got them brand new. (I think that was Puch from Austria?)
Anyhow, that Sachs motor was pretty sweet and the bikes were light woods bikes. I liked them.
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #81422
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,824
Agreed, not a light off road bike, but.........I post this one occasionally as a reminder.

Click on the pic. Tried 3 times to embed but messed up. If someone can, go for it.

I consider myself a solid low intermediate but determined rider. At the time of this video, 51 & way too much burrito storage. I had a 14 tooth CS on....and it still grunted...that's how steep it was in places. Good times.

Same day...

The angle is a little less than appears in this pic.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...

TrophyHunter screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 12:16 PM
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #81423
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,870
the DR650 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick View Post
Two friends of mine owned the 250 Hercs. They got them brand new. (I think that was Puch from Austria?)
Anyhow, that Sachs motor was pretty sweet and the bikes were light woods bikes. I liked them.
I had the 175 Rick. The motor was a Sachs yes. Good engines yes. A monster in fact. But that gear box ! And the shifting was terrible. And they way you added oil to it was, well Chinese-ish at best.
Lol
Wish I kept it now of course. I bought mine from Drew Smith who was the ISDE captain and rider. He was a dealer at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #81424
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
I consider myself a solid low intermediate but determined rider. At the time of this video, 51 & way too much burrito storage.

The angle is a little less than appears in this pic.
Yikes I'd be determined too - to stay on the trail, and on the bike, with all that cactus hazard.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #81425
furiouslyalex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Hey all, picked up my DR yesterday and was doing some maintenance on it today and notice these pink hoses coming out of the carb. Was wondering if they should be loose like this:

Drive Side
Non Drive Side

Thanks!
furiouslyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #81426
DucatiSSsp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Hi Guys,
Been perusing this thread for the past......who knows how many years and been itchin for a street legal dual sport. A few DR's on craigslist locally, but would rather buy new. Question is...does anyone know what color the 2014 will be? I hate the Grey for '12 & '13 and would rather have white or yellow. Next I was wondering if anyone has take suspension from a dedicated off road bike and put it on a DR. For example, I have a '01 WR426F sitting in my garage that I dont ride much and instead of not getting much for it, thought I could cannibalize the suspension and carb and slap it on a DR?
Lots of fire/logging roads up here in WA to explore......
TIA,
Bryce
'97 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100i
DucatiSSsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #81427
DucatiSSsp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by furiouslyalex View Post
Hey all, picked up my DR yesterday and was doing some maintenance on it today and notice these pink hoses coming out of the carb. Was wondering if they should be loose like this:

Drive Side
Non Drive Side

Thanks!
No! Should route down behind the crankcase. Previous owner prolly left it like that after draining gas from the tank/carb.
'97 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100i
DucatiSSsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #81428
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiSSsp View Post
Hi Guys,
Been perusing this thread for the past......who knows how many years and been itchin for a street legal dual sport. A few DR's on craigslist locally, but would rather buy new. Question is...does anyone know what color the 2014 will be? I hate the Grey for '12 & '13 and would rather have white or yellow. Next I was wondering if anyone has take suspension from a dedicated off road bike and put it on a DR. For example, I have a '01 WR426F sitting in my garage that I dont ride much and instead of not getting much for it, thought I could cannibalize the suspension and carb and slap it on a DR?
Lots of fire/logging roads up here in WA to explore......
TIA,
Bryce
The color should be a non issue. You will probably want to add a larger plastic tank that is available in several colors. Same for the fenders. And a quality Race Tech center can transform the stock suspension into very capable pieces. Go for it.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #81429
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 607
Although the DR is "capeable" in tougher off road conditions, I think it shines best on 50 / 50 adventure outings. I think of it as halfway between a KLR and a XR - R.

I allways think 2 stroke for serious off road work. This 250 was fun back in the day, real wide powerband with wide ratio gearbox. Worked good studded for ice Leman's also !

This one was just plain OVERKILL ! I realized if I wanted to live long enough to ride a putt around dualsport in my greying years, it was best to sell the 380 to a tough 23 year old !

I think a modern day 200 is in the future for serious rough country trail someday.

Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #81430
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiSSsp View Post
Hi Guys,
I hate the Grey for '12 & '13 and would rather have white or yellow. Next I was wondering if anyone has take suspension from a dedicated off road bike and put it on a DR.
Bryce
Did you see this one?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=dr650
If you weigh 150 it's got your name all over it. PM him - think of all the time you'll save for riding.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #81431
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,824
If these are ever made street legal in the US, I could see one for trail riding. Not a high speed machine with that steering head angle but a 380 2 stroke weighing in around 165 lbs.....

http://www.lewisportusa.com/ossa_explorer.htm

Yes - the DR fits my mostly 50/50 riding and will do it if pushed (hopefully not into the cactus - although I was more concerned about the drop off) so I'll keep rackin' up the miles....and smiles.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #81432
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
Although the DR is "capeable" in tougher off road conditions, I think it shines best on 50 / 50 adventure outings. I think of it as halfway between a KLR and a XR - R.

I allways think 2 stroke for serious off road work. This 250 was fun back in the day, real wide powerband with wide ratio gearbox. Worked good studded for ice Leman's also !

This one was just plain OVERKILL ! I realized if I wanted to live long enough to ride a putt around dualsport in my greying years, it was best to sell the 380 to a tough 23 year old !

I think a modern day 200 is in the future for serious rough country trail someday.

I had a 420 KTM that looked just like your 250 in above pic,and yes a modern KTM 200 is a great way to go for real singletrack,I have an 09 XCW 200 I have set up to suit me and it works great.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #81433
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Yep, I think a 200 would really compliment a DR 650 for tighter and rougher serious off road work.

I thought a while about the 300 EXC, but after having the 380 EXC chew through a rear knobby in a few days of fist handed throttle in the rocks, I think a 200 would just be alot more usefull, and alot less torn up parts.......both on the bike and CERTAINLY myself !

I love the DR with its blend of high speed street capeabilty in comfort, its real usefulness in fire road situations, its ability to make it through tougher off road stuff, and its overall versatility. I dont like its weight or size when it comes to serious off road work though. Its better than alot of other dual sport bikes as a whole, but still not the best tool for tighter and tougher stuff.

I can restrain myself to useing it within its comfort limits, so its a great bike for its intended purpose.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #81434
Rocktown
Reformed

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post

That 380 is sweet! A generous friend ypu to allow me ready access to his street legal 360. I just don't want a 2 stroke for racking up miles.
Rocktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #81435
Ever Onward
Time Killer

"Sweet" is not the first word to come to mind when I look back at my time with the 380 EXC.

"POTENT" comes first, followed shortly by "TERRIFYING".

Even with the powervalve set at the softest hit, it would either rip the knobs right off a Michelin rear, or loft the headlight to look at the moon at 50 MPH !

I bought it without a test ride, thinking it would be a great out west enduro.
I knew why everybody was raveing about the "little" 300 EXC within my first 50 miles of serious offroad with it. You rarely ever saw 3rd gear on the pipe.

In 5th when it was wound up, you virtually needed a pilots license with a low altitude waiver. The words "Crazy, Stupid, Fast" come to mind. It would walk its way out of a concrete floor garage if you left it idleing on the sidestand unattended. It could lay a black stripe all the way through 3rd on pavement if you leaned over the tank, and would lift the front wheel at the slightest tug on the bars if it could hook up.

The only bike more insane I had ridden was a KX 500 or the ancient TM 400......which was by far the biggest death wish, if you could get it started back in '73.