Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #81421
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,272
When I left riding for a bit due to 3 kids and family obligations, I was on a '83 IT490 2 stroke. It was a beast.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/4064420786.html <--this one is just like my old one and I'm having to restrain myself from getting it. Ya better be in good boots if it kicked back on the downstroke.

I'm first up for a '79 Husky WR390 - the gold & black one - from a buddy so I'm waiting for that. He's 69 and still takes it out twice a year to wring it's neck.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #81422
Kommando
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktown View Post
Sense we are talking about nostalgia... My dad had a yz490 when I was a kid. I was riding it before I was tall enough to reach the ground. He would start it for me and hold it up while I took off then I would just have to leave it running and coast up to trees and let it fall against them to get off. If I had to stop unexpectedly it would just hit its side and eventually some one would come find me and help me start it and take off again.
Coming from only low-seat mini-bikes, mopeds, scooters, standards, cruisers, and a friend's occasional sportbike, that's actually kind of how I pictured myself on a 650 dualsport before I got the DR.

According to my fiancee, I was not incorrect.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #81423
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
When I left riding for a bit due to 3 kids and family obligations, I was on a '83 IT490 2 stroke. It was a beast.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/4064420786.html <--this one is just like my old one and I'm having to restrain myself from getting it. Ya better be in good boots if it kicked back on the downstroke.

I'm first up for a '79 Husky WR390 - the gold & black one - from a buddy so I'm waiting for that. He's 69 and still takes it out twice a year to wring it's neck.
Regarding IT490 and "having to restrain myself." GAWD those things were a blast!

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #81424
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

[QUOTE=AKASY;22334831]

Would you want to be on a DR here?
[QUOTE]

I have ridden my DR on rocky trails like that, many times over.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #81425
Rocktown
Reformed

Oddometer: 323
Quote:

If I lived in California I would already be on my way to get that yz490 for that price. You can't find anything in Arkansas for less ten $1200 unless its stolen.
Rocktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #81426
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 874
If somebody woulda come up to me 35 years ago as I sat on the start line for a 125 B race, and told me I would be rideing a 650 enduro that was a FOUR STROKE, with a ELECTRIC STARTER, that had floppy saddlebags to carry beer, sandwiches, Ibuprofen and reading glasses, my first question to them would have been......"Show me where to buy what your smokin ! "

Gotta admit, the user friendly, mellow habit DR is a welcome addition after decades of Pucker and flinch moments on hair raiseing, ill mannered vintage dirtbikes.

Never woulda thought the wisdom of old age would actually have been this helpful !
Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #81427
Kommando
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
If somebody woulda come up to me 35 years ago as I sat on the start line for a 125 B race, and told me I would be rideing a 650 enduro that was a FOUR STROKE, with a ELECTRIC STARTER, that had floppy saddlebags to carry beer, sandwiches, Ibuprofen and reading glasses, my first question to them would have been......"Show me where to buy what your smokin ! "
Yup. The imagery in this thread is top-notch.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #81428
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Gotta admit, the user friendly, mellow habit DR is a welcome addition after decades of Pucker and flinch moments on hair raiseing, ill mannered vintage dirtbikes.

Never woulda thought the wisdom of old age would actually have been this helpful !
You are so right. In my case it would have been 40 years ago and a 250 Suzuki 2 stroke.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #81429
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
I had a RT 360 when is was 15.Once I figured out how it ride it,it was a blast.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #81430
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppawheelie View Post
You are so right. In my case it would have been 40 years ago and a 250 Suzuki 2 stroke.
In 1970 I had a Greeves Anglian trials bike with Ceriani forks, and a 360 CZ mx bike, the backup bike for Roger DeCoster, bought from Skoda/Jawa in Montreal for $600. Sure wish I still had them now. Especially the Greeves.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #81431
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Some pics..

So im not much of a writer or photographer, but I thought id share a few pics of my trip. Ive been on the road almost 5 months, and put about 24000 miles on the DR since ive left.

Dunhams- a TAT staple.

Just a little bit into Gemini Bridges outside of Moab..

Oregon high desert..

Outside of Newport, OR..

And now heading up..

And whats this?

I stood there for almost 20 minutes. I was in shock.

King of North American mountains.. This pic was taken a ways down Petersville Road out of Trapper Creek AK. I would have never taken this road but I made the good decision of striking up a convo with a local. Started off about his ATV, and eventually became about the area..

Moving along:

This is the best pic my P&S could pull at Salmon Glacier. It is ungodly difficult to meter something like a glacier. When im done with my trip im going to try and use some photos from my DSLR to get a picture where everything is exposed correctly..

Big jump (most pics are on my DSLR mem cards shipped home):

Seedy part of Indiana and a bunch of guys were standing around the bike. Fixed that problem.. First motel room since Deadhorse.

"Dont mind me.. just checkin my valves!" I went to a campsite the previous night figuring I could push the bike out to cement (so my stand wouldnt sink in the dirt and so I could spin the rear in fifth to find TDC). As luck would have it, my campsite was on a hill. I just put the bike in neutral and coasted to this spot

or depending on how you look at it..

I have almost 30000 pictures at this point when you count my gopro pics. That guy has sat on my helmet taking a picture every minute ever since ive left Florida. I havent even looked through them yet. I dont know how some cats can do RRs on the road. Hope you enjoyed..
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #81432
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 874
I find it amazing Decoster lived through the CZ years !

He was my hero in '77 as a Suzuki rider, along with Tony Destafano.

I wish everybody could ride the 2 stroke MX bikes from the early to late 70's just so they can relate to us old bass turds tales of terror and lack of control !

I still say Suzuki made the TM series as a test bed to see how good they could make a peaky powerband...........combine with the most evil suspension of the day.

How some of us lived to see the day of modern dualsports with E-start, I will never know, based on some of the bikes we raced and rode.

Remember coffin tank Maico's with 4 inches of suspension and a down pipe ?
Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #81433
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,272
gsf - envious, beautiful stuff. It's amazing what's out there if you just go looking for it. Agreed on the glacier. Saw my first one from a ship this summer with the family. Really just impossible to describe.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #81434
psmcd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
dated

Quote:
I wish everybody could ride the 2 stroke MX bikes from the early to late 70's just so they can relate to us old bass turds tales of terror and lack of control !

I still say Suzuki made the TM series as a test bed to see how good they could make a peaky powerband...........combine with the most evil suspension of the day.

I can't believe Decoster had anything to do with the TM. He's such a nice guy and probably regrets they could associate him with it.

How some of us lived to see the day of modern dualsports with E-start, I will never know, based on some of the bikes we raced and rode.

Remember coffin tank Maico's with 4 inches of suspension and a down pipe?
for a chuckle:
http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/N...8230ab762.aspx
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #81435
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
gsf - envious, beautiful stuff. It's amazing what's out there if you just go looking for it. Agreed on the glacier. Saw my first one from a ship this summer with the family. Really just impossible to describe.
Yeah, beautiful world.. What ive seen is only a sliver. I guess thats why they say once you do it youre hooked for life.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote