Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #83461
DRV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Heathens, yer both heathens. So there are at least 3 of us here.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #83462
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
My starter wants to star in a movie...

"Deliverance II"

Yes it's starting to squeal like a pig.

Is there any concern for this malady other than attracting horny boars?

I'm ok with the sound if nothing's going to grenade.

What say ye DR Drs?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #83463
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
More power

Hi awesome people, sorry not been around much recently, new job been keeping me busy and not much time but nice to see you're all still here helping people. :-)

I have a quick question... I'm after a little more power and intend to do things in 2 stages but I'm curious if my intended theory will work.

Currently I have a standard motor, K+N filter in standard airbox (I really want to keep the airbox stock) FMF header pipe and standard muffler, carb is Oz spec and standard. It seems to run well, no flat spots or surging, but it would be nice to have a bit more grunt.

So my plan is to add an FMF Q4 pipe, I'm not expecting much if any gains from this but I'm curious if it will still run ok? I know I should re-jet at this point to get the most out of it but will it run like a dog if I don't, or will it just not be performing at it's best? I'm not going to re-jet the standard carb because the plan for the next stage is...

To add a pumper carb ordered set up to run with full FMF pipe, K+N in standard airbox. Will it all come together at the second stage? Is it all a waste of time unless I open up the airbox?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #83464
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
When I was a young kid just out of the Navy, on Sunday night we would sneak over to East Bakersfield, to Cottonwood Road, an all black neighborhood, and crouch in the darkness alongside a church with open windows and listen to the chorus within singing the best damn gospel music I've every heard. Not even remotely related to the church music on the other side of town.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #83465
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
"Deliverance II"

What say ye DR Drs?

2 choices to rid the noise.... take the starter out and grease the shaft of the armature where it goes into the end cap, or get a Warp 9 Racing end cap that has a roller bearing instead of a bushing.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #83466
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
"Deliverance II"

What say ye DR Drs?
I wouldn't worry about it to much. Mine has done it when it's cold or I haven't ridden it for a while for probably 15000 miles. I had a 1981 Yamaha 650 Maxim for more years than I can remember and it squealed most of the time I had it.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #83467
Rocktown
Reformed

Oddometer: 323
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
done. i just used all the old hardware in a different configuration. the bracket that the plate illumination light is mounted to is the old plate mounting bracket, just turned round and mounted in a different location. the only addition was the aluminium backing plate that needed a few minor bends and some holes drilled to make it fit all the stock holes

Thanks! It's good to see what it looks like when that's done right. It gives me a plan of attack that doesn't involve my welding skills (which always requires my skills with a grinder).
Rocktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #83468
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
Hi awesome people, sorry not been around much recently, new job been keeping me busy and not much time but nice to see you're all still here helping people. :-)

I have a quick question... I'm after a little more power and intend to do things in 2 stages but I'm curious if my intended theory will work.

Currently I have a standard motor, K+N filter in standard airbox (I really want to keep the airbox stock) FMF header pipe and standard muffler, carb is Oz spec and standard. It seems to run well, no flat spots or surging, but it would be nice to have a bit more grunt.

So my plan is to add an FMF Q4 pipe, I'm not expecting much if any gains from this but I'm curious if it will still run ok? I know I should re-jet at this point to get the most out of it but will it run like a dog if I don't, or will it just not be performing at it's best? I'm not going to re-jet the standard carb because the plan for the next stage is...

To add a pumper carb ordered set up to run with full FMF pipe, K+N in standard airbox. Will it all come together at the second stage? Is it all a waste of time unless I open up the airbox?

Thanks.
If you don't want to cut the airbox, you can always take off the airbox lid. Don't lose the nuts. They aren't fully captured.

You could also try a pod filter, but some people report that it isn't as good as an opened airbox.

Basically, the airbox and the lean needle/idle settings are where you can gain most improvement. In Oz, you probably have the adjustable needle and your idle-mix screw is accessible without having to remove a brass cover. I'd still suggest an extended screw though, to make adjustments easier.

Try just popping out the snorkel, then moving the clip down a position on the needle. Then adjust the idle. You may or may not want to bump up the size of the main. The main may be the only part of the carb that isn't set lean from the factory, but I use a bigger main with an opened airbox.

Main jet experts...Does Mikuni offer a 142.5 main between the stock 140 and the 145 that some kits provide?

You may notice better grunt with just a sprocket change to 14/42 from stock 15/41 or 15/42, and it'll still run 75MPH fine.

There's also always a big-bore, a cam, a ported/polished big-valve head, nitrous, and forced induction on an EFI setup.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #83469
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
Yep, What's the big deal? I just use a screw driver with the stand in the up position. One little flick and it's on.
Wear eye protection when messing with springy things.

I use a drum-brake spring tool.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #83470
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,630
Chill, you can spend a ton of money with minimal gains. Do what he said and just re-gear for more grunt..14/42 will give you that.
I'm using 16/42 this week and it's pretty darn long..........I find myself in 2nd a lot even in our fast mountains. They like to rev so don't be afraid of twisting your wrist for more grunt in lower gears.
A few posts ago we were talking about money is better spent on suspension first, because you can out ride the OEM suspension before you run out of steam.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #83471
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
"Deliverance II"

What say ye DR Drs?
It's squealing like a pig because the bushing is dry and you already knew that. Mine squealed from 10k to 15k, worse when cold. I felt guilty every time I heard it. Lil' Steve already mentioned your options, how guilty do you want to feel? If you're patient, you might be able to get the starter end cap off without removing the CCT, which would be my preference, given the choice. Warp 9 didn't have the end cap available then, so I greased the stock end cap bushing. I regreased it again 30k miles later when I had to replace the CCT gasket. It never made a sound for those 30k.

I used a pic showing how to retract and release the CCT plunger, for those wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post

Thanks.
You don't have to be around recently, someone is always glad to answer questions, Kommando in this case. If you ride with others (dust), throw that K&N away and replace it with a foam filter. There are numerous threads online explaining why (K&N flows more air because it flows a larger micron dust particle, bad juju).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Wear eye protection when messing with springy things.

I use a drum-brake spring tool.
Safety glasses are an excellent idea. I have a scar on my left eye, just outside the iris because I didn't take the time to put on a pair when soldering a cable end.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 11-07-2013 at 08:58 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #83472
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
All this extra grunt and resulting chain pull you guys want will just bring on the frame failure sooner, like mine

Bit more here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...646076&page=34

with repairs planned to commence next week.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #83473
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Looking forward to your solution.

ETA:
Since all welds shrink, that crack will pull closed when adding a forward (front ward?) gusset.

Quote:
Old 11-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #83474
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,630
Nice sprocket cover BergDonk.

Is that other do-dad that protects the engine case plastic?

How many times you straighten that gear shifter well done.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #83475
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

So TUCKERS, ya got butterflies yet?

Quote: