Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2006, 07:50 AM   #826
ditchbanker
Owner of dull user line

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_S
Went to lube the chain last night and found my lower chain guide broken in half. I'm not sure how it broke since I've only been using the bike for commuting recently. Is there a better made alternative (not plastic) or do I really even need it?

Thanks,
DS
The top guard for my chain broke off earlier this summer. I know I should probably replace it, aware that if the chain breaks I'll really wish I had it. However, I haven't had any problems with the top one gone. Not to say that it's the right thing to do, but I haven't had any problems.
ditchbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:44 AM   #827
shoco
Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglebeak
I made this up for my KLR.
It's two lengths of Aliminium pipe, one fits inside the other (and my tyre levers inside that).
Extend it, poke a screwdriver through the appropriate hole and jam it under the right footpeg mount, the back wheel is off the ground.
I haven't tried it for the front yet, but imagine the same place for the prop and just get someone to lean lightly on the seat or weight it to get the front clear of the ground.
I put a door stop on it to keep the levers from falling out when i carry it and to help it seat nicely under the peg.
Got the pipe from my mates Kayak shop. (cheap paddle shafts)

Nice work! How about making one for me??
shoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:27 PM   #828
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,238
Question Tank Panniers

Anyone using tank panniers on their plastic tanks???
Old 08-16-2006, 05:37 PM   #829
David_S
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno
Anyone using tank panniers on their plastic tanks???
I'm running a set of Wolfman Expedition Tank Panniers on an IMS tank. I figure if anything they'll serve as a buffer between the tank and ground when I dump it. I think the yellow makes me a bit more visible also.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:41 PM   #830
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Question

[quote=David_S]I'm running a set of Wolfman Expedition Tank Panniers on an IMS tank. I figure if anything they'll serve as a buffer between the tank and ground when I dump it. I think the yellow makes me a bit more visible also.[/quot

Thanks David
To what do you hook the straps?
Old 08-16-2006, 05:46 PM   #831
David_S
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
The two rear straps are hooked to the frame below the seat (same place as my tank bag straps). The front right is hooked to the tube/ guard for the oil cooler and the left front one to the frame tube near the horn bracket. They would be a bit of a hassle to take on and off a lot so I just leave them on most of the time. I suppose some quick connect could be added to make it easier.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:51 PM   #832
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_S
The two rear straps are hooked to the frame below the seat (same place as my tank bag straps). The front right is hooked to the tube/ guard for the oil cooler and the left front one to the frame tube near the horn bracket. They would be a bit of a hassle to take on and off a lot so I just leave them on most of the time. I suppose some quick connect could be added to make it easier.
Hey David , thanks, guess Ill get an order of to WolfmanThanks again
Old 08-16-2006, 08:40 PM   #833
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,422
Well, the DR looks a bit different now.

Just added the Corbin seat and IMS tank.

I had to shorten the fuel line a bit to make it fit up better but its still got a bend in it, but what ya gonna do??

I did about a 75 mile ride tonight and on the way home, after filling the tank, the bike died on me twice! First time I was cresting a hill and it died so I pulled in the ctuch and coasted a couple miles to the bottom of the hill. I tried to start it, but it wouldn't go. Once I got stopped , it started right up again. Maybe 5 miles later, it started spitting and farting again and died, so I pulled over quick and could hear a gurgling sound. I opened the cap and then I tried the ignition and it fired right up!

Must be a venting issue right?

I put on one of these.

Must be junk
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:35 PM   #834
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Hope not, ive got one on the way. I have heard that if gas sloshes
into vent then probs. How do you like the Corbin...my big ole butt
likes. Good luck on vent...Ill post how mine works...should
be in in a couple days
Old 08-16-2006, 11:26 PM   #835
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
what is that? looks a little fancy for a vent. all you need is a piece of hose, I put a fuel filter on the end of mine to keep bugs from crawling up there, but I think I did that mainly because of some neurotic compulsion
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:39 PM   #836
Irishchopper
Adventurer Commuter

Oddometer: 15
HI. I've been lurking around for a few weeks looking to find out which duel sport to buy. Went from the Beemer, to the KLR, and I think I've come to like the DR650. Took a test drive after riding the rest and realy enjoyed it. It also seems to fit my personality.( I read so guys funny test on here some were and it cracked me up) I just moved to Northern Utah from SoCal and there are hundreds of miles of mountain roads litteraly(sp) in my back yard. I just sold my Harley so I could get out into these back roads.
So..I have a line on a 93' Dr650 with 10,000 on it. It was a commuter(sp) bike so I am told, kick only. Have only seen picks. But it looks real clean from what I can see. Does anyone own of ever have owned a pre96 bike and if so what are your impretions? http://www.advrider.com/forums/image...con5.gifThanks in advance. By the way this is by far the best form on any subject I have ever been on, Sorry about the spelling.
Irishchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:41 PM   #837
Irishchopper
Adventurer Commuter

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishchopper
HI. I've been lurking around for a few weeks looking to find out which duel sport to buy. Went from the Beemer, to the KLR, and I think I've come to like the DR650. Took a test drive after riding the rest and realy enjoyed it. It also seems to fit my personality.( I read so guys funny test on here some were and it cracked me up) I just moved to Northern Utah from SoCal and there are hundreds of miles of mountain roads litteraly(sp) in my back yard. I just sold my Harley so I could get out into these back roads.
So..I have a line on a 93' Dr650 with 10,000 on it. It was a commuter(sp) bike so I am told, kick only. Have only seen picks. But it looks real clean from what I can see. Does anyone own of ever have owned a pre96 bike and if so what are your impretions? http://www.advrider.com/forums/image...con5.gifThanks in advance. By the way this is by far the best form on any subject I have ever been on, Sorry about the spelling.
a pirates life for me
Irishchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:46 AM   #838
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrider
what is that? looks a little fancy for a vent. all you need is a piece of hose, I put a fuel filter on the end of mine to keep bugs from crawling up there, but I think I did that mainly because of some neurotic compulsion
I thought I'd try it since I had the hose on the Clarke tank on my XR and thought it was a bit annoying. I'm gonna just put a hose on it today and see if that does the trick. When I heard the gas making that gurgling sound, first thing I thought was, damn..didn't this happen to snowrider in Mexico?
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 08-17-2006, 04:54 AM   #839
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno
How do you like the Corbin...my big ole butt
likes.
So whats so great about these Corbins, i think mine sucks

I was pretty happy with the quality and the install went great. I was a little concerned about how it would fit because the one I bought for my XR650L didn't fit very well.

I had them put the gripper material on the top which holds you in place pretty good. Hopefully that won't cause too many problems for the ol butt when off roading. Overall, i'm pretty happy with it, we'll see how she does for the long haul soon.
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 08-17-2006, 07:19 AM   #840
woodys3b
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Wish I had known there was a gripper material available. I got the Carbon Fiber look material and it's pretty slippery. I appreciate it when coming to a stop and I have to slide a butt cheek off the seat to get my foot on the ground, but When I pull away from the light, I slide back too much when accellerating. I think I would have been happier with the gripper material.

Andy
woodys3b is offline   Reply With Quote