Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2006, 05:18 AM   #106
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by compman21234
Which seat do you have? At the Corbin website, the seat for the stock gastank appears to be *very* different in shape from the one for the aftermarket tank -- if they are shaped differently, I'm guessing that they could be different comfort-wise, too. So, do you have the one for the stock tank, or aftermarket tank? If your DR is the most comfy bike you've ever ridden, the seat must be pretty good. Which one is it?

Has anyone ever actually tried the two different seats themselves, and can tell how they differ in comfort?
The one i have is for the aftermarket tank. I'd say they would be the same comfort, just made to fit the different tanks.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:35 AM   #107
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,341
My turn for some pics.
Heres some of the great moments in the 33,000kms i had on my 650.

Roosting my mate :)

Old 05-17-2006, 07:07 AM   #108
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,680
Gang
to help me shop: What is a 4.9 gal IMS tank worth? in good shape

z
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:19 AM   #109
David_S
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
I recently bought a brand new one in blue for $193.00 shipped. Don't know if that's good or not but it was the only one I could find.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:14 AM   #110
BobCWNC
Orange lithotripter

Oddometer: 13,041
Screen Instructions

. The next step involves heating the acrylic (I use a small camping stove) and bending it to suit the shape of the headlight surround. The shape of the DR/DRZ headlight surrounds are suited to screens because it is fairly broad without any radical angles. Be careful when heating the acrylic that you don't heat it too fast because it will bubble, patience is the key here (remember to hold it with pot holders or something similar too because it will get very hot). Once hot (you will see it flex) I line the screen up on a flat surface and place another straight edge (like a chopping board) above it to get a straight bend. I generally put a bend on either side to make it fit nicely on the headlight surround.

Excellent, I did this for a shield for my GS fairing. A heat gun (like a blow dryer for stripping paint) works well too and seems to be more controllable. I tried a propane torch and got sags. It also helps to have some kind of form to bend it around and clamp it to, so all the gun is doing is relieving the stress and relaxing it around the form. Take it slow and heat it up slowly.

"It is a great art to saunter". Thoreau

“Life’s most persistent and urgent question is– what are you doing for others?” –Martin Luther King, Jr.

Alan Greenspan said out loud, “I have found a flaw.” Waxman pushed him, responding, “In other words, you found that your view of the world, your ideology, was not right; it was not working.” “Absolutely, precisely,” Greenspan said
BobCWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:17 AM   #111
BobCWNC
Orange lithotripter

Oddometer: 13,041
Oh and

Cutting lexan is pretty easy with a bandsaw, A reciprocating saw will screw it up DAMHIK.

"It is a great art to saunter". Thoreau

“Life’s most persistent and urgent question is– what are you doing for others?” –Martin Luther King, Jr.

Alan Greenspan said out loud, “I have found a flaw.” Waxman pushed him, responding, “In other words, you found that your view of the world, your ideology, was not right; it was not working.” “Absolutely, precisely,” Greenspan said
BobCWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:52 AM   #112
NJjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
IMS tank, it fits???

Great thread.

I got a 98- 650. I love it. I also have a 85K100RS but now I rarely use it.

I bought the DR last year and P.O. gave me an IMS tank. Trouble is the fuel valve really pushes hard on the engine fins when I even lightly tighten the rear bolts up. Somethings not quite right.

Anyone have this, or a cure?
NJjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:59 AM   #113
bitterjoe
killing the fatted calf

Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJjeff
Trouble is the fuel valve really pushes hard on the engine fins when I even lightly tighten the rear bolts up. Somethings not quite right.

Common problem. You can either grind the fins (no, but free) or buy a replacement Pingel petcock (pretty damn trick, but $75). I have the Pingel and love it.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:02 AM   #114
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_S
Also remember that just because you don't have the metal gasket doesn't mean yours is going to leak. Sure there are a lot of reported gasket failures but how many peoples have not failed? I have a hunch more don't fail than do we just don't hear about it.
Our 2000 DR650 with over 13K miles still has its original gasket and hasn't leaked yet.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:04 AM   #115
David_S
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
Corbin up for grabs

Av Corbin for IMS tank just went up for grabs in the classifieds . $200.00 is a decent price and no wait like you have if you order new. No association with seller etc.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:24 AM   #116
WR_guy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance
Our 2000 DR650 with over 13K miles still has its original gasket and hasn't leaked yet.
'96 with 25k miles and no base gasket leak. Did however have a cam tensioner gasket leak that was fixed in 15 minutes!
WR_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:26 AM   #117
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedale
I have this too and I just got a 2006. I need to learn more of the gasket issue.
You have the metal tab and a oil leak? your '06 DR will have the new gasket for sure. My understanding is , the metal gasket is supposed to fix the issue. From what I can gather, some of the '03's got the old gasket and some got the new. Not sure when Suzuki made the switch...

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:44 AM   #118
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,229
I have 40k km on my 96 DR, which still has the original gasket. It's as dry as eeehhh a very dry thing.

They don't all go leaking it seems.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:53 AM   #119
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrider
The issue is only with the fiber gaskets. I'm not sure how you found that picture without finding this info, but the whole point of the picture is that if you have that tab, you have the metal gasket and don't have to worry about it.
When he said '03 I was concerned as mine is an '03 and as mentioned in my post, I was trying to establish if he had the metal or fiber gasket. If he had a metal gasket and it was per chance leaking, I want to know about! There has been some confusion as to when the change over occured and I did not want to contribute to any mis-information by saying ALL '03's are OK. Suzuki didn't create any fanfare for this update, so it's looking like it's a crap shoot for '03 owners or buyers. The pic was provided for owners and potential owners to be armed with the vital information they will need.

Old 05-17-2006, 11:57 AM   #120
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJjeff
Great thread.

I got a 98- 650. I love it. I also have a 85K100RS but now I rarely use it.

I bought the DR last year and P.O. gave me an IMS tank. Trouble is the fuel valve really pushes hard on the engine fins when I even lightly tighten the rear bolts up. Somethings not quite right.

The IMS provided petcock fits ok, but it sounds like that didn't come with the bike. It looks cheaply made (even though I have had no problems with mine) If I had to buy one anyway, I guess I would spring for the Pingel too... I wouldn't be interested in grinding the fins!