ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2006, 07:06 PM   #1
MonkeyPlunger OP
Detroit 9fiddy adventurer

Oddometer: 68
do you want to touch my sprocket

Will a 44t stealth sprocket work on the 950 without any modifications? Part number from the KTM book is - 58410051044. Is it wide enough to fit the chain? Will i have to increase the length of the chain?

2005 KTM 950 - schwarz
2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited - SOLD :(
MonkeyPlunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:38 AM   #2
Autostream
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,833
You can fit the 45 tooth just by turning the chain adjuster blocks on the axle around the other way so a 44 should fit...as for the rest can't help.

Autostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:06 AM   #3
RedFlash
Go Cubs!

Oddometer: 2,440
The KTM part number you note is probably for the RFS/2-smoke models.

My 525EXC uses a 520 chain (5/8" x 1/4"). My 950 uses a 525 chain (5/8" x 5/16").

How 'bout that for confusion !

The chain should match the sprocket width (5/16" for the 950). If the sprocket sold by KTM is for 520 chains, I would pass on it. However, Stealth does make a 525 sized sprocket, specifically for the 950. There is also a selection of tooth numbers:

http://www.supersprox.com/listy.php?type=ktm

YMMV
RedFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:39 AM   #4
950TRANSALP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Cool2 bolts differ

Tryed to order that last year (they look cool/orange n black) and the bolts need to be changed to tapper heads instead of the T bolts . My dealer had problems getting it so I oppted for the 45 tooth . K.B. I think the 44 tooth would be perfect though!

950TRANSALP screwed with this post 04-09-2006 at 07:47 AM Reason: forgot add.
950TRANSALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:30 AM   #5
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
Quick note here- the countersunk bolts on the smaller bikes are 8mm bolts, the 950 uses a 10mm T-bolt. Not usually recommended to use a smaller bolt in a larger hole- brings up all kinds of nasty shear issues. Compounded by the 950's HP. Could be problematic, if you know what I mean!

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:05 AM   #6
RedFlash
Go Cubs!

...but wait, there's more...

I just got off the phone with Alex at Krause Racing & Sidewinder Products and they will carry the Stealth, along with their own Titanium-Moly, and other alloy sprockets. He said that, they are currently cutting 42 and 44 tooth Ti-Moly units for the 950 and should be ready in a couple of weeks.

I had sent them an e-mail this morning and Alex replied shortly thereafter (on a Sunday!). They also manufacture and sell their own chain products.

The website:

http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/toc.htm

The website is dreadfully bad with looping links, but the products seem to get good press. They are located in St.Charles, Illinois. So I will probably just stop by after work (Lombard) in a few weeks. Maybe some folks will chime in with any experiences dealing with them.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Funny you should mention Krause Racing/Sidewinder Sprockets- I should be out in the shop installing my new kit from them! I was going to do a little photo/writeup thingie, so consider this a preview. I spoke w/Alex regarding a 520 conversion kit for the 950, thinking this would give a little better throttle response, rather than spinning a 525 around. He said No Problem, I have a kit- sells for $330- Ti-moly rear sprocket, best o-ring chain, blah blah blah. I said great- gotta clear it w/SWMBO, I'll call back.

To back up a little, I used to use Sidewinder Products back about 12yrs ago on my dirt bikes, and had good results. Since they didn't offer any belt products, I didn't use 'em much in my Harley days.

SO, with $ in account, I call 'em back, speak w/Donna, who was very nice, remembered my old boss from when I used to build AMP Links, and I ordered said kit. $352 OTD w/shipping she says. 17t/45t, chain, etc.

Two weeks later, package arrives with coolio chain, 17t front sprocket, and a 45t alloy rear sprocket w/the wrong bolt holes. WTF?!!! Bill says I paid $390.00 total. WWWWTTTFFFFFF????????? ?

Call 'em up and apparently, I got a sprocket for a lesser machine (525, etc.) Okay, no big deal, s*** happens, I'm not peeved about that, but I was a little ticked at the extra $. After all that, Alex did make good and send a ti-moly rear sprocket in a 44t (He didn't have a 45, and the diiference is about a tenth of a ratio point off of the 16t/42t I'm using now.), but I did have to pay the postage to send the wrong part back. So now, almost $400 for a 520 conversion kit from them. A little pricey in my book, but maybe with subsequent purchasers they can get the price down. At least tell 'em up front how much it's gonna be.

Okay, rant over. now I'm all fired up to go install and take pics!

Old 04-09-2006, 12:57 PM   #8
RedFlash
Go Cubs!

There is a mixed bag of opinions regarding Sidewinder on KTM Talk. The company seems to suffer from engineers acting as sales personnel. Not a good idea. The business should segregate itself into distinct departments, that can deal with customers needs and concerns, without the elitist attitude that many engineers take when dealing with their mistakes (I get to see a lot of this in my job ).

On the good side, they are reputed to make a superior product (they do not make the Stealth, though). Time to shake off the, "Hey, this is the best damn sprocket in the world- wha'dya mean yer not satisfied?" arrogance and deal with folks in the internet age. And as I mentioned previously, the website is a dinosaur of bad code...

I like your idea, Motomedic, of converting to the 520, as there does not seem to be many 525 chain/gear options available on the market, and 520 chains should be plenty strong in this day-and-age of metal forming.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:45 AM   #9
RedFlash
Go Cubs!

And then the chain slipped...

...BAD!

Well my chain is shot. Took a hundred mile ride yesterday and the chain was dragging on the top of the swingarm, back towards the hub, when I got home .

After adjusting, the rear edge of the blocks are now past the end of the swingarm. Not good . The rear sprocket has opened up between the teeth and the C/S sprocket is starting to hook.

Unfortunately, I cannot wait for the folks at Sidewinder to finish their production run on sprockets, so I ordered stock KTM gears and a DID x-ring chain. I guess the grand gear experiment will have to wait until next year .

Oh, and I got over 15,000 miles out the original set, with little maintenance other than spraying on some chain wax now and then...
Old 05-04-2006, 02:10 PM   #10
TymeRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflash94
I just got off the phone with Alex at Krause Racing & Sidewinder Products and they will carry the Stealth, along with their own Titanium-Moly, and other alloy sprockets. He said that, they are currently cutting 42 and 44 tooth Ti-Moly units for the 950 and should be ready in a couple of weeks.

I had sent them an e-mail this morning and Alex replied shortly thereafter (on a Sunday!). They also manufacture and sell their own chain products.

The website:

http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/toc.htm
The above information indicated that Sidewinder/Krause Racing will be carrying Supersprox' Stealth sprockets which are a combination aluminum/steel sprocket. (http://www.supersprox.com/stealth.php)

Does anyone know if Sidewinder's Generation V Tri-Metal sprockets (http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/trimetal/intro.htm) are just renamed Supersprox Stealth sprockets? The pictures look the same.
TymeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 04:32 PM   #11
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

You might want to read my rants concerning Sidewinder before doing business with them:

www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130609&highlight=conversion

Old 05-04-2006, 05:47 PM   #12
TymeRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic
You might want to read my rants concerning Sidewinder before doing business with them:

www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130609&highlight=conversion
Yeah, I saw your post about your headaches in dealing with them. Thanks for the info. And I am a bit leary. Unfortunately they seem to be the only US distributor for Supersprox Stealth sprockets. And I wasn't able to find any online foreign distributors who had the version for the 950.
TymeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:47 PM   #13
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
I had a Sidewinder stainless steel rear sprocket and the biggest 520 chain they made on a quad. The chain never did stop stretching. When I got rid of the quad, many miles and year later, The rear stainless sprocket did show some wear, but had lots of life left. Miles unknown, but I think I burned up around 5 front sprockets to give you some ideas.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:54 PM   #14
BigMac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
I am presently working on a 520 solution that uses an AFAM front sprocket (16T & 17T both available) with a steel rear sprocket that weighs nearly 1/2 what a Sidewinder weighs...and it's more durable than OEM. Details to follow after I've flogged her a bit to see if this setup will in fact live up to my lofty expectations.

FWIW: If you're looking for a 520 chain that can easily handle torque of 950 and will not stretch, see EK's 520MVXZ x-ring chain. It's stronger and longer lasting than the OEM DID unit. Take care.
BigMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:06 AM   #15
Autostream
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,833
I just fitted a 48 tooth rear with stock 17 front to give about the same gearing as the 16/42 combo.

Although they are in Australia they make good sprockets (although the paint is a bit average) and could easily be mailed to the USA.

http://www.chaingang.com.au/index.php

They do not have custom front sprockets to suit the 950.

Autostream is offline   Reply With Quote