Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2006, 09:47 AM   #1
Scarron OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
17"-19" Wheels [Calling KTMax]

Hi KTMax

Having seen your 17/19 wheel setup for the road only it looks spot on, So I have decided to get http://www.talon-eng.co.uk/ to build me a set with their hubs and some Excel rims at 2.5" and 4.25". - Trubble is, I can't make my mind up tho. For an Orange bike should it be be black rims and hubs with black spokes, or maybe the titan colour but they also do a trick nickel plated hub? Decisions eh. [ Fortunately we have an account with them at work ]

Please could you tell me what gearing you are using? - I am based in the UK and will be doing a 3000 mile trip around the Alps this summer, I have tried the 16t on the front but hated it for road work and have changed back to the 17t so I am looking to keep a reasonably tall motorway cruising top gear.

Also how are the Dunlop D607's, I am considering either those or the Michelin Pilot roads - maybe the Avon Azaro ST, any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance - Paul
Scarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:35 PM   #2
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
As far as gearing goes when I put on my 17/19 the 16t c/s was way to low so I put the 17t c/s back on and it feels like the stock wheels with the 16t c/s on. Yesterday on the freeway at about 80mph rpm was 5k.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:48 PM   #3
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer: 1,099
Hi Scarron,

Doug is right. 16T is too short with a 17" rear. The stock setup with 17T is spot on.

With Talon hubs? You're going the (even more) expensive route eh? Poser...

An open door but your need the Talons with the transmission damper in the rear hub. Most are without. I decided for the clear rims because black ones look too small (IMO) as they sort of 'melt together' with the back tires visually.

I have a 4.5" rear rim. Only 0.25" wider. This puts the sidewalls of the tire more straight on the rim. According to KTM this improves stability and feedback. Don't know if this is true but at least the wider rim looks a little better so... From 05 the 950 and the current 990 have a 4.5" rear too.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Pics & info @ MonoManiacs
KTMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:48 PM   #4
Bikeaddict
Bikeless Due To Recession

Oddometer: 205
Pirelli Scorpion Sync

Try this tyre, its an excellent choice and it comes for 17"-19" combo. Its the same type that can be found on Multistrada and 950SM. I have them on my VStrom 650 and they are a hell of a street rubber!
Old 05-04-2006, 11:10 PM   #5
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul

Agree. I think the Pirelli Sync and Dunlop D607 is the best street focussed 'dual sport' (ahem...) rubber available now.

A while ago German bike mag 'Motorrad' did a big test of all road/dual sport tires on the track and in daily use. The Sync's were not yet available at that time but the Dunlops were head & shoulders above the rest on the track. Both wet and dry, one or two up and only second (by a small margin) to the Michelin Pilot Road, a full sport touring road tire. They even beat the well known and good Bridgestone BT20 road tires.

Great pics of a Honda Varadero 1000 with the lower fairing removed and suspension jacked up for ground clearance and still dragging everything around the track. Sparks'n all.

The tires tested were: Metzeler Tourance, Michelin Anakee, Avon distanzia, Pirelli Scorpion ST90, Bridgestone Trailwing 101, Dunlop D607, Michelin Pilot Road and Bridgestone BT20 NT. All in 110/80-19 and 150/70-17

Old 05-05-2006, 02:02 AM   #6
Scarron OP
Adventurer

Excellent all, thanks for your input. I have had a price back from Talon this morning and I am looking at 560+VAT for the pair in silver hub / black rim / stainless spokes including a sprocket on a cush drive hub [we make their rubber cush drive inserts for them]. I don't know how that price sounds but I am very tempted .

I do take your point with the black rim making the whole assembly appear smaller, but at the moment I am veering towards Titan [grey/black] hubs with black spokes and rims, or then again maybe the nickel plated hubs, although apparently they can take a stain with road dirt.

The rear rim choice they offer is either a 4.25"or a 5" [which is probably too wide] unfortunately not a 4.5" like yours. they also said that the 19" front is really desgned as a Motocross rear and hence has the spoke holes drilled for a wider hub - so the spokes will have a small curve to them, safe enough tho.

Tyres - its got to be the scorpion syncs or the D607s then, choices,choices.......

Lead time is 2-3 weeks so i'll let you know how I get on.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:17 AM   #7
eels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
iv just orderd the 17/19 combo for my bike, im going the use the standerd ktm hubs that you can buy seperatly and have them laced with silver exel rims and stainless spokes, 580 inc vat

HM wheels that are building them said you dont have to put a bend in the spokes for the front wheel if you fit ktm hubs. he will also powder coat the hubs any colour you want

your thread reminded me i had to do some thing today
eels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:45 PM   #8
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul

Hmm... 560 - 600 are pretty sharp prices. I paid about a hundred more. The company that build my wheels (http://www.haanwheels.com/) custom made the stainless spokes to connect the KTM hubs to the Excel rims. They used blind rims and drilled the holes for spokes at the right angle.

The front 19" is indeed a rear MX rim. It has an extra 7mm hole for a tire clamp(?) opposite to the airvalve. I closed it with a rubber cap.

@Scarron, if your wheelbuilder uses Excel rims (the best IMO) there is a 4.5" available for sure. Maybe they don't have it in stock an need to order it.

Old 05-06-2006, 08:43 AM   #9
Scarron OP
Adventurer

Unfortunately although Talon are the UK importer for Excel rims they don't keep a 4.5" in stock and it would be an extended lead time,,, Can't wait coz I want them for my Alpine trip in mid June.

So I am now wondering if I would be able to get away witha 5" rim with a 160/60ZR 17 Pirelli Scorpion Sync, Or would it be too wide?
Old 05-06-2006, 11:35 AM   #10
eels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
160/60/17 on a 5" rim is standerd fitment on the rear of the later ktm 640 supermoto, but it may be to wide if you wanted to run the 150 duel sport tyres.
eels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:25 PM   #11
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarron
So I am now wondering if I would be able to get away witha 5" rim with a 160/60ZR 17 Pirelli Scorpion Sync, Or would it be too wide?
That would be fine BUT, you'll be stuck with this tire and size with no option to fit any other dual sport tire. They all are 150/70 and a 5" rim is definately too wide for that.

I'd take a 4.25" if I were you. No doubt about it.