Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
SamurAchzar OP
Complies with FCC part 15

Oddometer: 86
SO, I'm gonna tour the US! (VFR/DL/R12ST/FZ1)

So here's the deal. I think I might come over and tour your wonderful continent, along with a friend of mine.

Now, he's a really new rider. I'm just new (riding for a year and a half now).

He's riding a '03 DRZ400S, I ride a '05 KTM 250EXC. I had a CBF500 before that, for some months (until I decided road riding in this lunatic ladden country - that would be "Israel" for you guys - isn't for me. They actually actively try to kill you here).

I'm pretty good with motorized things, quick learner and got heaps of self control, even at my young age (22). That's why I went for "mature" (ok ok, downright geriatric) bikes in the first place.

We're now trying to plan the trip. We think about August.
We're likely to go for one month (work wouldn't be so tolerant for longer periods).

First thing, choosing bikes.
For him, it's quite easy. A DL650 is probably ideal. Large, comfy, powerful enough and very cheap.

For me, it's actually more complicated. I could be very happy with a DL650, but I want something a little bit more exciting, yet without going over my head. I don't plan to go WOT during any stage (we TOUR), but something a little bit sportier would be great.
I'm not looking for a motorized sofa, just something not abusive during full day trips, with some added fun through motor and handling.

Our plan is to buy the bikes from a dealer and set up a buy-back deal. I know people usually do this kind of stuff.

Here's a list I've compiled, with some pros-cons. I never rode any of these, mind.

1) VFR800:
Pros: Always liked them. Probably thread on the fine line of "strong enough" and "more than I really should". Relatively comfortable, luggage available. ABS.
Cons: Expensive

2) DL1000:
Pros: DL650, only more motor. Cheap. Seems like the reasonable choice.
Cons: DL650, only more motor.

3) R12ST:
Pros: Everything. I'm in love with Beemers, no matter size, shape or color. I can spend hours looking at them. I should probably be examined. Everything, really. And I REALLY like the R12ST (Thank you Asphalt - it was you right? - for the trip reports).
Cons: HUGELY expensive. However, the real issue here is what it's worth would be after one months and some miles. If it depreciates like a VFR, there's no reason not to go for the Beemer instead.

4) FZ1:
Pros: Great looking, should be entertaining. Really cheap (7K$ ?!).
Cons: Crying mother, devestated sisters, funeral arrangements.
Other than that, it certainly doesn't come across as a transcontinent tool, but what do I know.

All the bikes listed are new (though I wouldn't mind getting last years model at a discount, I just don't have the time to start looking for used ones).

So far, considering everything, I'm favouring the VFR, but that's just from reading opinions.

In short, what I want from you guys is:
1) Some opinions on these bikes and how are they going to fare crossing the US.
2) Estimation on the price I would eventually pay for each one of them when doing a buy-back deal. I don't mind paying 20K$ for a fully loaded Beemer if I get 18K$ back after a month, but I got the feeling it's not this easy.
3) Can I even insure any of them, being 22?

Thanks in advance. May you all have a pleasent day and many miles ahead!
SamurAchzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:36 PM   #2
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamurAchzar
4) FZ1:
Pros: Great looking, should be entertaining. Really cheap (7K$ ?!).
Cons: Crying mother, devestated sisters, funeral arrangements.
Other than that, it certainly doesn't come across as a transcontinent tool, but what do I know.
Sounds like you already made a decision. I saw a couple dozen touring the Adirondacks together last fall. Those guys would call it a cross-country ride.

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:24 AM   #3
SamurAchzar OP
Complies with FCC part 15

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilhed
Sounds like you already made a decision. I saw a couple dozen touring the Adirondacks together last fall. Those guys would call it a cross-country ride.
LOL yea. I'm talking about the new model though, does it still retain some touring capabilities?
SamurAchzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:13 AM   #4
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,330
R12RT

or

R12GS
RocketJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:37 AM   #5
rubicon1979
Poser

Oddometer: 214
R1200st

I picked the R1200ST. All I have to do is drive 1100 miles one way Sunday to pick it up...

To avoid all that initial depreciation pick up an 05 model. I found this one online with only 465 miles on it and saved a LOT over new.
rubicon1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:09 PM   #6
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon1979
I picked the R1200ST. All I have to do is drive 1100 miles one way Sunday to pick it up...

To avoid all that initial depreciation pick up an 05 model. I found this one online with only 465 miles on it and saved a LOT over new.
Nice choice. I loved it when I test drove it. I don't think there are any '06 in the states yet. They had so many '05 unsold they delayed '06 production and made more GSs I think.

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:13 PM   #7
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
You've only got a month, a Japanese bike will give you the least initial maintenance and potential problems. I would buy used, you'll lose less money. I would pick a dealer with a good used inventory, then buy any sporty comfortable Japanese bike they happen to have. Any new bike will do the trip, and anything you're comfortable on is a touring bike. Any FZ1 is cross continent capable and more than ready to do the US. Easy riding position, big fairing for a sporty bike--it's not called a "sport tourer" because you can see the engine. If I were doing what you're doing, I'd be delighted if I found a few-years-old used YZF600 for about $4000, because I could probably arrange to not lose any money on the deal, and those bikes are cushy and work good.
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:59 PM   #8
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

Oddometer: 55,635
VFR, and change bikes with your bud a little bit.
Mike Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:09 PM   #9
Asphalt
Plan Well...Leave Late :(

Oddometer: 951
You're welcome for the ride reports...but I think Deano is a pretty good walking ad for the bike as well. It is easy to love this bike when you ride a lot of miles on it. It rocks. I can't say what the resale is...I'm sure it sucks...but it IS a beemer after all! I'd get it...if you love all things Beemer...it will make the ride that much more enjoyable...them you can take her home with you.