User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
jimilivz OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Running hot, in Seattle?

Have a 13 990A Baja with 3500 mi, that has had an issue since I bought it new a year ago: The darn cooling fan runs almost constantly if the bike is not going faster than 15mph. It never overheats according to the bargraph, but once the fan starts, it never shuts off unless the bike gets moving.

I had the dealer check it out at first service. They found no probs. And of course, it has rarely been above 75 deg. outside. Do I dare ride to Tucson?
jimilivz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
Dan950ser
NW Shredder

Oddometer: 389
If your sitting in traffic or riding slow the fan will run pretty constant. One solution to help is a second fan kit and lower or adjustable thermostat from AdvMachines. Ken is in Bellingham and a great guy to work with. Might have to link up and ride someday. Got some good guys on big bikes that I ride with in the Olympia and peninsula area. Hope this helps.

2013 KTM 300 SX: converted into woods weapon
Dan950ser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
Dan950ser
NW Shredder

Oddometer: 389
Also get rid of the stock mufflers/ reactors ASAP they are stupid hot and heavy as hell.

2013 KTM 300 SX: converted into woods weapon
Dan950ser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:26 AM   #4
tomdubz
getting there

Oddometer: 467
Running hot, in Seattle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan950ser View Post
One solution to help is a second fan kit and lower or adjustable thermostat from AdvMachines.

Good ideas. I went that route + some of those fancy samco hoses and haven't been nearly as hot since. I had a shut down overheat once on a 100 degree day in Boston traffic on I-93 before the mods. That was fun. Exhaustive reactors had already been changed to GPR 2:1.

Otherwise, keep radiator fins clean of mud and consider replacing radiator cap. If you haven't flushed your coolant yet, start there. You may have built up casting sand from manufacturing still hanging out and impeding the coolant from doing it's job.

tomdubz screwed with this post 06-08-2014 at 03:28 AM Reason: edit
tomdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
iJabberwocky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
I was sitting in traffic the other day in Bellevue trying to get out of town and my fan was running constantly too. I am thinking I am going to get a thermostat.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #6
SmokeRing
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Sounds like it's working fine

Or at least it works just like mine, a 2012 990A, 16k miles, and the stock exhaust.

I was initially concerned, too, but if it's not overheating it sounds like everything is working as it should. I wouldn't be concerned at all about a ride to Tucson. If your style of riding involves slow going (traffic or technical riding) a single fan may not keep up.

I bought the bike new in Albuquerque and rode it there for the summer before riding it up to Port Angeles. In some way the ambient temperature didn't seem to matter - over 20 mph: no fan, 15 mph and under: fan. I'm sure I would have installed a second fan if I stayed down there, because what I do may not be technical riding, but it's often just as slow. But I haven't felt any need for it up here.

The engine can only shed heat through the radiator, and if motion can't give 20 mph of air across it, then it either turns on the fan or it overheats. If one fan always keeps it a few bars away from overheating I don't think a second fan will gain you anything.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #7
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,360
The lower temp fan switch will not, in my experience, make the fans run any less. They will come on sooner and I do see typically one less bar on the graph in comparative circumstances, but it will still seem like the fans are on all the time.
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:13 AM   #8
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,373
I was going to complain about my fan running when riding off road at less than 20 mph, but I guess it's normal. It has me concerned about how it will do when the temperature is truly hot, though.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:07 AM   #9
NeptuneTriton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I just bought a 990 Baja as well and live in the Seattle area. I thought mine was running hot at first too because of how often the fan was on.

The explanation I got was that these bikes are just hot-blooded. Even on a 70 degree day my fan runs a lot in the city....usually sits at about 9 out of 12 bars on the temp gauge, leaving just three left. Does it on slow technical trails too.

Remember, these were originally designed as Dakar bikes running fast over open terrain...not sitting in bumper to bumper Seattle traffic. Added to that you have a big, hot V-Twin motor buried inside a bunch of plastics and fuel tanks and it's gonna run much hotter than its naked bike cousin with the same engine...the 990 Superduke. The Superduke's LC8 engine gets a lot more airflow than ours do.

Common sense should be our guide here. We all know that heat and friction are the enemies of any engine. Both contribute to premature engine wear and reduced lifespan. Because of that alone, I'm going to put a secondary fan kit in mine soon as well.

The two most popular kits are from Adventure Machines up in Bellingham and Black Dog Cycle Works in Idaho

http://www.advmachines.com/product_p/rallyfan-1001.htm

http://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-shop...dv-detail.html
NeptuneTriton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:54 AM   #10
jimilivz OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I guess I was just a bit surprised that a machine with so called "rally" roots would be equipped with a marginal cooling capacity, at least with respect to slow speed travel.

So that, the really notchy gearbox, and having the wiring wear through and short to ground in two places in the first 2000 miles makes me a bit of an unhappy camper.

Planning on riding it for another year, then we'll see.
jimilivz is offline   Reply With Quote