Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2007, 02:39 AM   #31
Rock_93
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
You don't have to buy a torque wrench adapter that is what the beer opener in your tool kit is really for.
Rock_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #32
KTMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
What size is the bolt/threaded rod tool? Is it the same size as the bolt removed, but longer?
KTMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:45 AM   #33
emelgee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Aprilia shims

After seeing MotoMedic's post mentioning that Aprilia also uses 10mm shims I've done a little searching.
Yes, they are 10mm in diameter, and better still they come in 0.025mm intervals, rather than the 0.05mm interval that KTM offer theirs in. So you can get your clearances closer to ideal spec by fitting the aprilia items instead of KTM.

KTM 990 rider and proud of it!!

950 adventure gone, but not forgotten.
emelgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:54 AM   #34
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelgee
After seeing MotoMedic's post mentioning that Aprilia also uses 10mm shims I've done a little searching.
Yes, they are 10mm in diameter, and better still they come in 0.025mm intervals, rather than the 0.05mm interval that KTM offer theirs in. So you can get your clearances closer to ideal spec by fitting the aprilia items instead of KTM.
.025mm = .001 inch. Can't ask for much more than that. Any leads on where to get them? Other than an Aprillia dealer? Mine's the same asshat that sells BMW's and KTM's in my area.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:02 PM   #35
KTMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
Motion Pro also has the adapter. Use it at 90 deg to the wrench, and you won't have to calculate.
-cp

I got this tool, and it is 12 and 14 mm. My head nuts are 13. Are the original nuts the same size as the TSB replacements?
KTMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:38 AM   #36
Katoum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Grinding down shims

I have used fine emery on glass to mill down many shims and never had one show any signs of wear because they do not move to create wear. What grinding allows you to do is get to the exact outer limit for maximum mileage between valve jobs as KTM recommends. Factory shims only come in 2.5 thousandth sizes, which only allow you to get in the ball park range. So I guess its just a matter of how fussy one is.
Katoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:15 AM   #37
emelgee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoum
I have used fine emery on glass to mill down many shims and never had one show any signs of wear because they do not move to create wear. What grinding allows you to do is get to the exact outer limit for maximum mileage between valve jobs as KTM recommends. Factory shims only come in 2.5 thousandth sizes, which only allow you to get in the ball park range. So I guess its just a matter of how fussy one is.
See my post above regarding Aprilia shims which come in 0.025mm intervals - I can't see why you'd need to get closer than that. If you keep a record of the sizes you're currently using, then make up a list of the sizes you're likely to need on the next check, and get them by mail order before you start work.

KTM 990 rider and proud of it!!

950 adventure gone, but not forgotten.
emelgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:36 PM   #38
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah
Hey K2,

Since I'm going to be at your house at 4 am on Saturday for my tire change, why don't you just knock out his little project while you are in there? I'll buy the donuts...

Thanks to everyone's reply, I really appreciate the hints and tips. I think I will be doing one head at a time, replacing the cams without shims, so I have all out at the same time, but not two heads apart at the same time. If that makes any sense.

I will try to locate the cyl head nut tool, but unlikely with my timeframe. Anyone want to send me theirs for future beer IOUs?

I am actually looking forward to this job. I dove into the bike two weeks ago to ascertain the status of the water pump, been into the side covers and under the fuel tanks so many times I could do it blindfolded. While I do have a nice extended warranty, the feeling of empowerment knowing the internal workings of the bike makes me love it even more. And certainly quells the queasiness when little gremlins crop up.

Full write up & pics with everyones commentary should provide a nice hall of wisdom submittal. You're a good group, Charlie Browns.
So weres the pics and play by play????? I thought I was ready to dive into this, but know I'm scared to death. I have the bike striped (and I had fun doing it), Its the first time I have had the carbs off (cant believe the amount of oil that gets dumped down there) .
I can't read to good, where's the pics. I'm a scared.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:15 AM   #39
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,886

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:52 PM   #40
YOGOI
Prick

OK, I dove right in, and here is were I an at.

Front Cylinder
Intake Clearance .18 Right and Left
Exhaust Clearance .28 R & L

Rear Cylinder
Intake Clearance .12 R & L
Exhaust Clearance .23 R & L

So, what do you guy think?

The rear is on the tight side of the clearances, so I'm plan'n on move'n them to the center of the clearances.
Say: .17 and .28

The front is on the loose side of the clearances. I was think'n of leave'n it alone. What do you experts think????

Old 05-05-2007, 05:46 PM   #41
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI
OK, I dove right in, and here is were I an at.

Front Cylinder
Intake Clearance .18 Right and Left
Exhaust Clearance .28 R & L

Rear Cylinder
Intake Clearance .12 R & L
Exhaust Clearance .23 R & L

So, what do you guy think?

The rear is on the tight side of the clearances, so I'm plan'n on move'n them to the center of the clearances.
Say: .17 and .28

The front is on the loose side of the clearances. I was think'n of leave'n it alone. What do you experts think????
I'd leave 'em both alone and check again in 10k. They're all in spec.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:52 PM   #42
Louge
silence of the limbs

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoum
My best friend passed away almost 3 yrs ago ... I ground the shims on his picture to the top of the spec with wet 400 grit ... he would have approved.

Here's too ya E
Louge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:36 PM   #43
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,620
Quote:
+1

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:06 PM   #44
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
How many miles on the bike? At 600 miles my exhaust valves were set in the middle of the tolerance range. 4000 miles later they were a tad tight. I believe KTM recommends setting them at the loose end. So if the bike is new I'd go ahead and loosen them up since you have the valve covers off anyway. But I'm far from an expert in these matters.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:20 PM   #45
YOGOI
Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrider
How many miles on the bike? At 600 miles my exhaust valves were set in the middle of the tolerance range. 4000 miles later they were a tad tight. I believe KTM recommends setting them at the loose end. So if the bike is new I'd go ahead and loosen them up since you have the valve covers off anyway. But I'm far from an expert in these matters.
35,000 miles. This is the first time I have done them, so I dont have a history of what they've been do'n, or were they were set to last time.