Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2007, 12:49 PM   #61
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell
I can now adjust my valves in under an hour, start to finish...
If that includes undressing and redressing the bike then you are a freak.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:32 PM   #62
unkle_george
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
My dealer just quoted me 7 hours ... You should go work for them.
unkle_george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:03 PM   #63
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell
I think your best pix are right there in your service manual...

Where can i get a service manual? Local dealer can't get info from KTM. (New seller )
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:34 AM   #64
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,144
Just a note on the specs. The metric works out to about .004" - .007" for intake and .009" - .012" for exhaust. I find that my intake valves never need adjustment and my exhaust tend to tighten up. I have a had some degree of luck swapping shims around but I have bought a few from the dealer as well...as I have to do today. This time I am setting all of the exhaust valves on the .012" end of the spectrum....figuring they will be a bit safer on the loose side.

As for putting the engine on TDC I don't think this is totaly necesary. I just rotate the cams until the lobes are pointing straight up then I measure the clearance and make notes. I then align the cams so they are not putting any pressure on the lifter buckets and I use a permanent marker or paint pen to mark the cam position. I remove the bridge and measure the shim thickness on the out of spec valves. I reassemble with my marks and go from there. After adjusting the valves 3 or 4 times in the last 18,000 miles I have not had a problem.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:42 AM   #65
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus
Where can i get a service manual? Local dealer can't get info from KTM. (New seller )
PM me and I'll give you directions to the info you are looking for.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:04 AM   #66
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

I did some research on the hotcams shims. they cost $35 a for a box of 30 shims spanning about 2.5 mm. Here is a list I made up with the Hotcams part number and the metric and standard range they cover in shim thickness:

a 9.48mm diam shim works out to .3732" diam vs the stock KTM shim which is 10mm in diameter. The .25mm difference per side should be fairly negligable with how the shim locates under the bucket and as posted above these should be a good alternative to the pricey KTM shims which run in the $3.50 to $5.00 per shim.

hope this helps.

the hotcams site is:
http://www.hotcamsinc.com/index.cfm?...list&ipageno=2

based on the shims I have swapped in my engine so far I would would order kits number 11 and 12.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Old 09-26-2007, 04:08 PM   #67
claferal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
What happens when you need a shim under 2,30mm?
Old 09-26-2007, 04:50 PM   #68
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claferal
What happens when you need a shim under 2,30mm?
are you refering to the hotcams shims or KTM? Hot cams sells them under 2.3. There may be some spec for when to replace the valve though...something I'd check with KTM. The valves stretch over time and perhaps there is a certain minimum shim thickness allowed before a valve is considered too stretched.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:30 AM   #69
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
At what interval's are these shims and the original shim's available?
I just did my valves, first adjustment now on 28000!! but only had .05 interval's to choose from! so now it's all around 0.30 exhoust and 0.15 intake. Would rather have been able to adjust to exactly .29 and .14

What spec's do you guy's aim for?
Old 09-27-2007, 08:46 AM   #70
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,721
I checked my valves at 8K miles and replaced 3 shims. The bike now has a bit over 20K, so it's due for another check. I'm wondering how good the clearances hold over time. Guess I'll find out when I open the bike up.
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:53 AM   #71
crwmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
IIRK, it was a 14mm nut. Either way, its one of the two sizes that come on the adapter. This was the only tool, besides a standard torque wrench and socket, that I needed to torque all of the nuts.
-cp

To re-torque these head nuts, do you just put the wrench on them as is with the proper torque setting, or is it necessary to loosten them slightly first, oil them, or anything?

Mac

"Plans are deliberately indefinite, more to travel than to arrive anywhere." Robert M. Pirsig
crwmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:19 AM   #72
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Here's what has worked for me for the last 4 times on the 950

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwmac
To re-torque these head nuts, do you just put the wrench on them as is with the proper torque setting, or is it necessary to loosten them slightly first, oil them, or anything?

Mac
I remove them one at a time. Lube threads and washers (ARP), then torque to 25 nm. I repeat for all the nuts, working diagonally, until all are done. I then do a final torque to 38 nm. The important thing with the adapter is to keep it at a right angle (90 degrees) to the torque wrench handle. Then no conversion needs to be performed on the torque specs. Only takes about 1/2 hour, once in there doing the valve clearance checks.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:14 AM   #73
grom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I’ve just adjusted valves (actually they were almost OK after 25000km).
I would like to add here a trick that I found for myself, and it was confirmed by two of my friends (mechanics), but I’ve never read about that in manuals.
So, after you have changed/sanded shims and re-torqued cam bridge, rotate engine a couple of turns. This will give you much more correct clearence numbers.
grom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #74
Meathead
tin man

Oddometer: 16,659
AAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHH!!!

I took a picture of the cam positions before removal rather than marking them, primarily because I didn't have a reliable way of marking them, but also because there's no reason referring to the picture wouldn't guarantee getting them back in the same position.

Long story . . . pic got blitzed.

Is there a way to guarantee the cams are back in the correct position? I've got them where the lobes are oriented exactly 180o from each other, pointed "out," per the manual pages posted here, but I'm not quite positive that's where they were.

Anyone?
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #75
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Just make sure you are at top dead center on the compression stroke for the cylinder you are doing, then check that the marks on the cams line up as it says in the manual. If you need the manual, PM me and I'll let you borrow mine to get your bike running.

-cp