User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2006, 05:32 AM   #1
Crazyfaze950 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Why I wouldn't want any other bike....

Don't you find that sometimes something happens to you that you just want to shout to the world about? Anyway I don't have enough time to tell the whole world so I thought I'd start here.

I've recently moved with my family from England to Scotland, this included going self employed so the last 10 months have been very hectic which hasn't left much time for bike riding. This means that my orange 950 has been mostly sitting in my garage since we moved up here.

Yesterday was a stunning sunny Sunday with barely any wind so I thought I'd take her for a spin(the bike, not the wife as she's currently too pregnant to fit into her leathers!) , I spent the next two hours bombing through the Scottish mountains until my reserve light came on and I had to ease off a bit to ensure I got to the petrol station. Now I consider myself to be a very safe rider but I do like to get a move on and at verious stages through the ride I had one or both wheels off the ground, the back end stepping out and hoots of glee echoing through my helmet the whole way.

I've owned a few bikes, including a Fazer 600 and an XJR1300 (it took me a while to figure out what kind of rider I was! ;) ), I've also ridden super sports bikes and enduro bikes. I've been assessed by the police who had only nice things to say about my riding style although there are plenty of areas in which my riding could improve, anyone that says otherwise is lying...

The KTM 950 Adventure is such an awesome bike, the build quality is fantastic (apart from the spokes which are prone to rust!) and it's got grunt in all the right places and I can honestly say that no other bike currently on the market could tempt me away from it. It's utterly controlable and awesome fun in any condition you dare to throw at it. I've taken the wife on the back along with tent, cooker etc for camping trips, I've ridden it through Europe to take it off road in the alps and I've rampaged solo through the Scottish highlands.

It's a given that you wont all agree with me but I don't care as this is absolutely the bike for me.

Aw, now I have to take some time off work to go and ride it again!!

Cheers
Crazyfaze
Crazyfaze950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:07 AM   #2
munichboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Rusty spoke nipples? Speak to your dealer and get them changed - was a know problem on the earlier bikes. My dealer only changed 1 wheel I think, although as my bike will reach her 3rd birthday this summer it doesn't seem to be a problem.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:52 PM   #3
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 16,600
Rusty Nipples?

I thought he meant his wife!
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:52 PM   #4
volbeat22
n/a

Oddometer: 773
CrazyFaze950...

Someday I am going to hop on a plane and visit my homeland. I'll look up those relatives who have no idea who I am and bum a place to sleep and eat.

Maybe they'll have a 950 I can ride!
volbeat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:56 PM   #5
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010

Well said. I took my 950 for a 339 mile ride on Sunday. It was a little warmer than I like but I was riding. It was one of my best day's of dual sporting. I still cant get over how controlled the 950 is in the rough stuff. And it still handles the road just fine.

Nate
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:16 PM   #6
waltert
Poseur

Oddometer: 529
I have never ridden my bike(s) to work except for maybe once per week,
even when new, when the thrill is still there. I thought it was just me.

It's not.

For the past three weeks, I've ridden my bike to work each and every day,
even when it's raining. Best bike EVER! I get Wood every time I swing
a leg over. Serious wood, not the KLR650 wood, not the VTX1800 wood.
I'm talking WUD baby, the preshistoric petrified stuff, hard like steel.

If you haven't ridden a 950 yet, do everything you can to ride one. Beg,
borrow, lie and steal, whatever it takes just make sure you try it. I'm sure
it's not for everyone, but it should be. Wait a minute, gotta go in the
garage and say good night to my baby...
waltert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:23 PM   #7
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Watlert,
That's funny. I will open the garage and say "hello girls" (we have 7 bikes in the garage XR50,70,200...). My wife thinks I'm crazy

Nate
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:36 PM   #8
waltert
Poseur

Oddometer: 529
Actually, with 7 bikes in the garage, the concensus is?:::

Yep, yer crazy And, I'm jealous!

Still, you definitely need to tuck them to bed. It's the right thing to do.
waltert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:57 PM   #9
ZenMoto
Bikeslut

Oddometer: 670
I bought my 950 on Feb. 4th, and have a little over 6700 miles on it now, and I have to agree that it is the single best motorcycle I've ever ridden.

My steering head bearings managed to rattle loose again while beating the hell out of it in Baja this weekend, but the races feel smooth, so a quick tighten should cure that. Otherwise, it has been rock solid so far, and I do not take it easy on my bikes!

I agree whole heartedly, I wouldn't want any other bike than the 950!!!

I just went down and wished her goodnight (and lubed her chain). :rabia

Save $5 on a photo hosting accout at
https://www.smugmug.com/signup.mg by inserting cupon code R1bXVzHCYtHts
ZenMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:50 AM   #10
BDG
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
I've owned 80 or 90 bikes and covered well over 500,000 miles and i reckon the 950 is the most versatile bike i've ever owned. Great for fun riding, suprisingly quick on the road, more capable than me off road, touring, commuting, everything, but its still only the second best bike i've ever owned. Still doesn't give me the horn as much when i look at the Ducati 996R, but i wouldn't want to take that off road though

I'm a very efficient idiot.
BDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:06 AM   #11
rightsideup
Get your motor running...

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyfaze950
I've recently moved with my family from England to Scotland
Whereabouts in Scotland?
rightsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:22 AM   #12
Pete156
I love to eat!

Oddometer: 1,440
I agree also. A marvelous machine. Have owned many bikes. None compare with the versatility or enjoyment of the 950, none!
Pete156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 07:23 PM   #13
MTDewX8
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
yeah yeah

Rub it in. I am still waiting for my 06 to arrive. Cali already has htem, but Montana is a little slow, plus I jsut got back from the Grand Canyon and Laughlin river run. and by the way I did see ONE KTM 950.
but since the bike was not here yet I had to ride my Warrior, which is fun, but think of all that desert trails I could have hit will down there. ok no in the Canyon, but you know what I mean.

I can't wait to have my own stories from MT
MTDewX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:34 AM   #14
Goldhelocks
You had me at "2 wheels"

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep
I thought he meant his wife!
Oh, stop... it's hurts! I come on to Advrider to steal a few moments of bliss and sanity at work and I have to run into this! Now I can't stop laughing and my sides hurt! Thanks a lot! Have you no mercy! That's it, I'm going home early to squeeze in a ride in the hills before dark! It's all your fault!

Goldhelocks
Goldhelocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:08 AM   #15
Compoed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
I had my own 950 nirvana yesterday. My wife managed to shorten my range rover last week (its back in the bodyshop being resurrected) - the insurers gave me a 'comparable' courtesy car (VW Polo) - not sure if your guys in the US have these but there wasnt much competition between choosing it or the 950 for a work trip from London to Oxfordshire. The journey took half the time and was twice as fun, cracked the client meeting by lunchtime and I took off into the hils for some fun. I was at the point of turning for home when I thought I should drop into Premier in Didcot to get some new rear pads.

The guys at Premier sort the pads and refuse to let me go without test riding their 990 - back to the hills, rode the nuts off it til the fuel light came on. Its a great bike and god is the seat comfortable but I was happy to get back on the 950 and had a grin on my face all the way back to London. I really did find the FI lumpiness pretty difficult, particularly following slow traffic. I guess you would get used to it but I am tempted to stick to the 950 for now.

The summer beckons.
Compoed is offline   Reply With Quote