ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2006, 10:58 PM   #1
Huber Tuber OP
Beer is good

Oddometer: 166
Stalling and Cutting out?

Any one know about the 2005.5 stalling out or just dying while driving along? Any thoughts?

748s
749s
R1200GS
R1150GS
Aprilia Tuono
KTM 950 Adventure
MV 750 Brutale

Huber Tuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:03 AM   #2
TipOver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Idle speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huber Tuber
Any one know about the 2005.5 stalling out or just dying while driving along? Any thoughts?
Some things to check:
Check your idle speed first (1400 rpm Minimum). If that doesn't fix it check for fuel line routing (pinched, crimped). Following that check the carbs for fuel contamination in the idle & slow speed circuits, blow them out. A drop of water in a jet can cause great frustration. And no, that drop of water will not clear itself.

Do a search of the forum w/r to stalling, ect. Good Luck.
TipOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:00 AM   #3
Conner
Charlie Ringo

Oddometer: 310
Electrical?

Mine used to cut out, then die. Turns out I had a short in the wire to the fuel pump. Fixed and problem solved.
Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:02 PM   #4
950 Adventurer Nut
Lunatic

Oddometer: 94
I know if the choke is out or comes out after the bike has warmed up it will cut out.
950 Adventurer Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:17 PM   #5
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
Carb balancer pipe if you've recently had a service or any work done.
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:55 PM   #6
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,804
If it happens when trying to acccelerate, too rich mixture!!

Whenever I turned the gas handle, while in idle, the motor died! The mix at the low rpms was too rich!!
Some have reported bad electrical connections to the battery, or fuel pump problems if submerging it occasionally...

Try to give us more hints!! Did you drop it before all these happened, did you have a wild riding weekend???

gefr screwed with this post 07-17-2009 at 12:03 AM
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:59 AM   #7
XsilverGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
My 950 stopped cutting out / stalling once the needles were returned to the original positions, previous the needles were raised one as suggested by KTM when used with Akras.

With the needles in the standard position fuel economy improved and the bike has cutout once in about 4,000 miles, with needles raised it would stop without warning when the throttle was closed, at junctions or on down changes approaching hairpin bends etc.
XsilverGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 12:15 PM   #8
ephemeris
UYPL

Oddometer: 663
Mine will stall at 2,000 rpm, somewhat intermittent and annoying in tight turn/transition situations.

Haven't figured it out yet.

Fuel and vent lines clear, canister gone, SAS capped, Akra's, stock main jets, needles at 3rd, 70 air correction jets, fuel screws at 1.25.

Runs very well though the range except it will hiccup and stall right at 2K rpm.

ephemeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:01 PM   #9
TipOver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
idle jetting?

Unles you increased the size of the idle jets the idle screw setting of 1.25 sounds like it may be lean unless you run high altitudes.
TipOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:03 PM   #10
APBlack
nOOb on a fly

Oddometer: 200
Interesting..Mine stalled alot up untill it's 600 mile service.. removed all the emissions crap, raised the needles and installed Akros and it has not stalled once in the last 1500 miles. makes me think there are other reasons maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XsilverGS
My 950 stopped cutting out / stalling once the needles were returned to the original positions, previous the needles were raised one as suggested by KTM when used with Akras.

With the needles in the standard position fuel economy improved and the bike has cutout once in about 4,000 miles, with needles raised it would stop without warning when the throttle was closed, at junctions or on down changes approaching hairpin bends etc.
06 KTM 950 Adv (orange one).. gone.. damit
05 Honda 650L.. gone
APBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #11
Katoomich
n00b

Oddometer: 3
950 adventure fueling

Tell me more about 950 adventure carb challenges. After a long minnesota winter, the bike lags & cuts out while accelerating off idle to perhaps 5500rpm. Feels like an air bleed is dirty causing poor fuel atomizing? Lots of exhaust popping. I have burned a couple tanks of fuel and no improvement. Time to take the carbs apart or?
Katoomich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:21 PM   #12
drwet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Thumb

I had the problem so bad the bike finally wouldn't run at all. Had it in at the dealer for eight months!!! Fortunately they were all winter months. KTM finaly sent their troubleshooter into town to check it out. Turns out there is a problem with some of the fuel tanks (mine is an 04). Aparently they react with some fuel additives and produce a precipitate which is variously described as a gel or slime or cobweb like substance. This stuff gums up the carbs and causes fuel starvation. KTM put new tanks on my bike and it runs better than it ever has.
drwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:39 PM   #13
woodsrider

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoomich
Tell me more about 950 adventure carb challenges. After a long minnesota winter, the bike lags & cuts out while accelerating off idle to perhaps 5500rpm. Feels like an air bleed is dirty causing poor fuel atomizing? Lots of exhaust popping. I have burned a couple tanks of fuel and no improvement. Time to take the carbs apart or?
Keep us updated on what you find. Mine's doing something similar. It idles fine, but right off idle up to about 1/4 throttle it seems to be loading up. I figure the carbs got some gummy action going on over the winter. Maybe some clogged pilots?

1997.5 KTM 200LE Jackpiner
'75 Bultaco 250 Alpina (M137)
woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #14
Katoomich
n00b

the answer, I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsrider
Keep us updated on what you find. Mine's doing something similar. It idles fine, but right off idle up to about 1/4 throttle it seems to be loading up. I figure the carbs got some gummy action going on over the winter. Maybe some clogged pilots?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #15
Katoomich
n00b

the answer, I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsrider
Well, It;s obvious I'm not computer savvy here. The Answer to my surging symptoms turned out to be fueling related. I found an almost sheet-rock dust like deposit or dried toothpaste-like deposit down the throat of both carbs. A tan colored film. It probably restricted the jets as well as the main off idle air bleed. Did the work myself and was amazed to recall just how jewell-like the throttle response can be on that bike. Backed the idle mix screws out 2 7/8 turns. life is good.