User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2006, 07:49 AM   #1
PhotoMotard OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Question 950 Gas Mileage / Range Check In

I have checked the past threads on mileage and bikes.

It seems that the 950 gets around 28 mpg when ridden hard and up to 40 mpg at more cruising speeds with less throttle.

Is this consistant with your experience?

I do like the idea of the bigger tanks as mentioned in the recent thread. Not sure how much weight this will add.

What have you guys been getting in mpg on road? Thanks.

Robb Williamson
Colorado
PhotoMotard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:59 AM   #2
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,548
When I bought mine used it was jetted for sea level. I live at 3000 ft and do most of my riding in that elevation range. I was getting about 28mpg until I did some carb tuning and now consistently get around 40. Light used to come on at 120 miles, now I do not see it until 160 or beyond. I ride mine pretty hard and I am a big guy so I know that it is working hard. Me thinks you need to do some "tuning" yourself.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:14 AM   #3
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,270
When the bike was new to me my light would come on at 130ish. I thought too soon. I did get at least 40 miles on the reserve though.

More recently I have been getting 160-165 before the light comes on. I think I was lugging the engine which was contributing to the mileage. I now run the revs up and it has been getting much better. Steady 35-38 mpg. My bike was jetted when I bought it from AZ, now in RI. I will probably get to the jetting at some point for a baseline. Waiting for the jetting thread to finally make up their mind!!!
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:08 AM   #4
Foto Veloce
The Free Radical

Oddometer: 376
On my last trip from WA -> CA I was getting about 200->220 on a tank and taking 5.2 to fil up (so that's about .5 gallon still in there!). That's working out to be right near 40 MPG.. I'm pretty happy with that. Of course the gas in CA dropped my milage a bit and the bike did not run quite as good on that crap but once in OR and WA she was back to normal.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:50 PM   #5
PhotoMotard OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
950 Gas Mileage / Range Check In

Thanks for the updates. Trying to figure out how the carbs figure into Denver and Colorado's higher altitude with mileage.

Any Colorado Riders that can chime in?

Robb
PhotoMotard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:08 PM   #6
Texmoto1
Adventure Berzerker

Oddometer: 274
130 VS 220 is a hell of a range! anything in particular you guys have done to your bikes? Could it be something like a 16T sprocket, or pipes or jetting making the differences? To be honest mine gets to about 160 when the light kicks on. I have staintunes, 16T sprocket, rejetted carbs and a full canisterectomy. I only have about 1100 miles on it, so am hoping it just needs to loosen up some. I had a 1200GS that started out getting about 34MPG then loosened up and started getting about 42MPG. Its amazing that I never used to even think about MPG and my bikes but.....things change
Old 05-05-2006, 06:31 PM   #7
waltert
Poseur

Oddometer: 529
First full tank of gas: 140ish miles till light
Second full tank of gas: 165 miles till light

Total Miles on bike now: 480
waltert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:52 PM   #8
JediBri
Glory to GOD

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoMotard
Thanks for the updates. Trying to figure out how the carbs figure into Denver and Colorado's higher altitude with mileage.

Any Colorado Riders that can chime in?

Robb
On pavement the low fuel light on my bone-stock 04.5 S comes on at 160-170 miles. I'm in Colorado Springs.

Brian
Old 05-05-2006, 09:09 PM   #9
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
I have 11k miles on my '04 and average 35 mpg. Light comes on steady around 165. I have gotten 40 mpg several time when riding with friends (slows me down Mine has a Canesterectomy, 16T, rised needles, stock jets, Wings. I have a 5.8 gal fuel cell being built by BLM for use on endurance rallys. Gasoline is about 6.5 lbs per gallon. My fuel cell will weigh much less than even a very petite pillion and set right over the pillion seat. If someone builds a larger pair of main tanks, carrying extra fuel will be even less noticeable.
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 06:12 AM   #10
coyote
subhuman mongrel

Oddometer: 24,520
35 mpg around town, 40 mpg doing highway duty (unless riding in the triple digit range).
Old 05-10-2006, 12:57 PM   #11
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man

Oddometer: 1,280
44 miles/gallon

Last Thursday i picked up my 2004 Go!!! (7000 miles, Akras, canisterectomy, PIAA twin headlight, ...) from my dealer to MotorcycleCloseout, to Boonvill, I covered 141 miles and burned 3.2 gallons,
it is 44 miles per gallon

Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875
DakarBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:05 PM   #12
motoman250f
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
I got 44 with mine in ideal conditions with stock jetting and needle in 3rd position. Now with the factory pro kit its Ideal conditions at 40-42, normally about 38 though combination riding
motoman250f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:22 PM   #13
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
I'm still figuring it out, but noticed that freeway mileage is really good (40 mpg), but quite a different story when romping in the hills. I suppose it is expected when you're on the throttle getting over the hills and constantly twisting the throttle coming out of turns.

I did find my fuel light came on (including trip F) a couple of times. I thought it would stay on when it came on the first time. I guess the sensor was fooled when I was riding downhill and then reset itself when I reached level ground at the bottom.

Overall, not quite the range I was hoping for with 5.8 gallons of fuel. I am happy to have a 6th gear though.
motowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:59 AM   #14
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
My light flashes anywhere near the 150mile mark depending on how heavy the right hand is......after 5-10miles it goes off for about 5miles then comes back on!!

How cool is THAT??!!

Anyway i would guess that i'd be looking at anywhere around the 200-220mile mark out of a tank.
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:17 PM   #15
MasterB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
170 to 180 before the light comes on. About 40 mpg.