Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2006, 02:28 AM   #1
mh900 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
advise please

Hi,

I have a 2001 1150 gs well prepared for off road use with a 21" front wheel, higher suspension................. I have travel a lot with this bike to the desserts of morrocco, sand stones mud....... and no complain except wheight and the telelever. In december we are going to Dogon Country, in Mali africa.
My dilema is that the other day I tired my friends 950 adv The bike is awsome, but we all know the problems they have. My question is if I transform my gs like motozila has, with a regular front fork and less weight, or I sell it and go for the 950.

I use the bike to go to work every day what woul you do?
mh900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:33 AM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,686
Read this....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148766

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:34 AM   #3
matthelliwell
Glowy

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh900
Hi,

I have a 2001 1150 gs well prepared for off road use with a 21" front wheel, higher suspension................. I have travel a lot with this bike to the desserts of morrocco, sand stones mud....... and no complain except wheight and the telelever. In december we are going to Dogon Country, in Mali africa.
My dilema is that the other day I tired my friends 950 adv The bike is awsome, but we all know the problems they have. My question is if I transform my gs like motozila has, with a regular front fork and less weight, or I sell it and go for the 950.

I use the bike to go to work every day what woul you do?
Given the group you've posted in, I think you can guess the answer - sell it and buy a 950. Go on, you know it make sense.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:42 AM   #4
Autostream
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,826
With regard to 950 problems many are to do with the emission sytem added for the US market, I imagine that Morrocco would use a Euro spec which does not have these.

The other "issues" are relatively minor and probably over represented here.
Fuel pump problems on a very few.
Waterpump seems to have a short life but not too hard to replace (or overly expensive) every 15-20,000 km
Rest of the other issues are largely fixed as long as the bike you get has had all of the TSB's done relevant to manufacture date.

Having said that the BMW is a good bike, not without its own set of issues, but probably not as well suited to the terain you mention.

.....come to the orange side....

Autostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:03 AM   #5
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
When you say 'problems',what 'problems' are you referring to which are harder to fix than what the GS has??
I have read up loads on here about 'problems' but have yet to experience one myself although i am sure i will eventually i am not overly worried.
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:09 PM   #6
Autostream
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,826
Whizzzzzzz....

I am unable to comment on the GS's own set of problems as I don't own one....but yes they have them and I'm sure on the ohter side of this camp you will be able to read all about it....the problems will also be over respresented there as people love to whine, thiose without problems love to ride.

I also have (knock on wood) a trouble free, Euro spec '04 950 ...although I suspect my waterpump may be on the way out as my resevior is slowly emptying itself.

Autostream is offline   Reply With Quote