User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2006, 05:53 AM   #1
hawgu82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Extended Warranty Payoff

Just wondering how many of you all who purchased extended warranties have had to use them ? I've searched some threads and seen various prices posted. 6 to 8 hundred for a couple extra years would be worth it if the engine blows up, but from what I see ktm usually steps up to the plate on major issues even after the warranty has expired. So, please tell me, who's come out on top after purchasing an extended warranty ? Thanks...---Mark---
hawgu82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgu82
Just wondering how many of you all who purchased extended warranties have had to use them ? I've searched some threads and seen various prices posted. 6 to 8 hundred for a couple extra years would be worth it if the engine blows up, but from what I see ktm usually steps up to the plate on major issues even after the warranty has expired. So, please tell me, who's come out on top after purchasing an extended warranty ? Thanks...---Mark---
I bought an Outdoor Advantage extended warranty from Scuderia West. Gives me 4 years extra coverage. Lets me get the work done by any licensed repair shop. They just agreed to cover a $400 water pump rebuild, minus a $25 deductible, so that pays for half the cost of the warranty right there. Given that I'll probably need another rebuild in another year or two, the math works for me. They were easy to work with too. My mechanic (I did end up taking it to a KTM dealer) just called them up and got authorization to do the work: no muss, no fuss.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:29 PM   #3
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Western

A friend bought a demo 950 with about 500 miles on it. As a precaution he bought an extended warranty from Western, one of the larger insurers in the
MC world.

All was fine the first couple months but on a trip the bike began to overheat.
(the water pump was no doubt beggining to fail)
This particular owner is NOT a maintenance guy AT ALL. Since he was on a dirt road quite a ways from any town, he pulled over to let the bike cool off.
Did check coolant level? NO! Had he heard about possible impellar problems?
Yes, I told him all about this issue and told him to have his dealer check the
bike out. Did he do this? NO.

He rode on and then got a flat. His buddies had left him and it was getting dark so with the bike overheated he rode on, with a flat rear in the dirt.

He reported that the bike began to make bad noises. (wonder why)

V E R Y long story short....he trashed the motor. Or one cylinder anyway.
Took the bike to a KTM dealer far from his home and left it. 10 weeks later
the bike was finally ready after endless excuses and delays about not being able to obtain parts. I forgot the deductible for this policy but it was more like $200, not $25.

Almost immediately the bike began to leak oil and display other problems.
This within the first 500 miles. Not Good.

This time he took the bike to Mach One in Vallejo, CA. Mach One said the first
dealer FUBAR'd the whole motor and had left out parts, used incorrect parts
and had some assemblies put together wrong.

Start over.

At first Western tried to weezle out of the deal, trying to tell my friend that it
was on him to go after the first KTM dealer and force them to either repair the bike or pay for the other dealer to do it. Or return it to the first dealer for
more lengthy repairs. Or sue the first dealer in court. Ahhh, no.

My friend obviously did not want to return the bike to the first dealer. After
consulting a lawyer who wrote a nice, polite but firm letter to Western quoting their policy and suggesting they have their counsel read it.

Well, that was that. Western paid....again.....for everything..no more hassles.
BUT they tried to cheat him. So buyer beware. READ the contract. LOTS of
gottchas in these documents....thats how the bottom feeding insurance companies make a profit....by denying claims whenever possible.

The first rebuild of the 950 was about $2300. The Second and final rebuild was over $3500.

BTW, I rode to Copper Canyon with this guy and the bike was FLAW LESS!
Nice to know even a trashed KTM motor can come back good as new IF done
right!

I think extended warranties are great. But I would be very careful WHO does the work. Any old shop just don't get it.

Django Loco screwed with this post 06-30-2006 at 01:35 PM
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:43 PM   #4
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco
A friend bought a demo 950 with about 500 miles on it. As a precaution he bought an extended warranty from Western, one of the larger insurers in the
MC world.
IIRC Western doesn't have a good reputation.

Quote:
I think extended warranties are great. But I would be very careful WHO does the work. Any old shop just don't get it.
Agreed. The reason I bought mine the way I did was so my local shop that specializes in Euro V-Twins and most definitely knows what they're doing could work on it. Unfortunately they were booked through the summer. In my case I took a calculated risk by taking it to the dealer, not the other way around.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote