User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2006, 05:59 AM   #1
NCbub OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
Anakee's Make Me Go Boom?

Any one had this problem? Went riding a few weeks ago with my new Anakees on my Vstrom 1000. Rode about 150 miles of pavment and alot of dirt. Tires should have been fine to turn up the heat and get some peg dragging in.

Noticed when I was playing I was not getting over and dragging the pegs like I do most days. Hmmmm I need to pick it up a bit. Hit the next curve and set up for a nice sweeper to the left. Hang off the bike abit and get ready for some sparks when the tires let go. A low side on my left. Bent bars, broke bar end weight, smashed hand guard and Givi bar ginder.

Anakee problem? I'm starting to think so. No peg grinding until bike control was lost. Looking at these tires with the bike on the side stand it looks like I'm on the last bit of contact patch on the rear tire. My Trailwings were better in the twistie stuff then these tires. I've run Tourances in the past but made the bike shake bad between 45mph and 35mph on decel, but really great tires for the tight stuff.

Both Tourance and Trailwings would take some real strain in the tight stuff. The Tourances did a better job but both worked very well for dragging and throwing sparks. So why did the Anakees let me down? The anakee sidewall is like 3/4 inch taller then both the Trailwings and Tourances.

I installed all the new parts last night alog with a Scotts Steering Stabilizer. I'm using the Scotts because I want to go back to the Tourances. Yes in the twisties I like to ride fast and hard. Theres a pic of me out there dragging my Givi bags on the dragon. I like to ride with a litte sprit.

Is this common for the Anakees? Are they a milage tire and not a play tire? I have a set of Anakees with less then 200 miles on them if you want them. They scare me.

Thoughts?
Old 05-06-2006, 07:15 AM   #2
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer: 19,340
People fall down. Many variables are involved. I think Anakee’s have more street stick than any block tread or 10-20/80-90 type tire, especially in the wet. Anakee’s are not a long wear tire. I think most people agree that Anakee’s provide less miles than Tourances or the Wings of Death even though some claim incredible miles for all of the above. I’ve worn out sets of them all. Anakee’s last me about 3000 miles as I ride the twisty’s a lot.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:06 AM   #3
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoplaner
People fall down. Many variables are involved.
You may not have scuffed-in the rubber on the pavement well enough before going for an aggressive lean angle. Upright pavement riding, and particularly dirt riding, does not scuff-in the rubber on the edges of the tire. The old saying of getting 100 miles on the tires before riding aggresssively can be mis-understood, in my opinion. They key is to progressively scuff in the entire contact patch of the tires before turning up the wick.

Did you check for any debris, spilled coolant or other causes on the roadway that might have led the tires to lose traction? I have had three sets of Anakees on both 1150 and 1200 GS bikes. I've never had a problem with grip or lean angle limitations on either bike. I have dragged both bikes at full lean with the Anakees. I recall that the tread area on the rear tire seems narrower on the Anakee than that of other manufacturers, but I would find it hard to believe that you just ran out of tread. YMMV.

Kev.
harderkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 09:11 AM   #4
ilmostro
Under Da Sea

Oddometer: 29,249
Yeah, it's the tires

Squid.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #5
AGIRABI
The World Is Mine

Oddometer: 685
Anakees ten times better tourances thsi %100 for sure...

It is great at the wet i even did peg dragin under rain...

Just love them
AGIRABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:47 AM   #6
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGIRABI
Anakees ten times better tourances thsi %100 for sure...

It is great at the wet i even did peg dragin under rain...

Just love them
What he said...

What did he say????

any way, the Anakees have always been stickier for me than the Tourance. I would consider the Tourance a mileage tire and the Anakee a sticky tire.

YMMV

Congrats Biff.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:55 AM   #7
AGIRABI
The World Is Mine

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
What he said...

What did he say????

any way, the Anakees have always been stickier for me than the Tourance. I would consider the Tourance a mileage tire and the Anakee a sticky tire.

YMMV

Congrats Biff.
I am sure he didn't fall because of anakees ...

Anakee is an excellent tire it sticks to road. The reason should be some other factors..

Thats why i didn't bother to explain it happy now ??
AGIRABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:56 PM   #8
ridetwistyroads
tailwind please

Oddometer: 2,036
You? Spirited?

Btw - you alright?
ridetwistyroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:10 PM   #9
NCbub OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harderkev
You may not have scuffed-in the rubber on the pavement well enough before going for an aggressive lean angle. Upright pavement riding, and particularly dirt riding, does not scuff-in the rubber on the edges of the tire. The old saying of getting 100 miles on the tires before riding aggresssively can be mis-understood, in my opinion. They key is to progressively scuff in the entire contact patch of the tires before turning up the wick.

Did you check for any debris, spilled coolant or other causes on the roadway that might have led the tires to lose traction? I have had three sets of Anakees on both 1150 and 1200 GS bikes. I've never had a problem with grip or lean angle limitations on either bike. I have dragged both bikes at full lean with the Anakees. I recall that the tread area on the rear tire seems narrower on the Anakee than that of other manufacturers, but I would find it hard to believe that you just ran out of tread. YMMV.

Kev.

I know there was nothing on the road, hell I was all downthere looking as I was sliding. I may give them another shot tomarrow just to be sure. I hate tossing tires away with 200 miles on them.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:11 PM   #10
NCbub OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmostro
Yeah, it's the tires

Squid.

Old 05-06-2006, 08:12 PM   #11
NCbub OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridetwistyroads
You? Spirited?

Btw - you alright?

I'm good just mad I messedup the bike AGAIN. If I keep this up people are goingto start calling me Steverino
Old 05-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #12
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbub

Is this common for the Anakees? Are they a milage tire and not a play tire? I have a set of Anakees with less then 200 miles on them if you want them. They scare me.

Thoughts?
Was this the first time in twisties with the Anakees? If so, and they weren't properly scrubbed, you were riding on a brand new tire.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:26 AM   #13
ridetwistyroads
tailwind please

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbub
I'm good just mad I messedup the bike AGAIN. If I keep this up people are goingto start calling me Steverino
Glad you're alright.

You biff again and we'll just call you 'lucky'
ridetwistyroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:04 AM   #14
NCbub OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476
Was this the first time in twisties with the Anakees? If so, and they weren't properly scrubbed, you were riding on a brand new tire.

What 150 miles is not enough to scrub them in?
Old 05-07-2006, 06:07 AM   #15
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,548

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote