User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
Pedro Nelson OP
Brazilian KTM Pilot

Oddometer: 11
Question Engine Revs Unstable

Yesterday I start felling that when the engine temperature reach 102 and the radiator fan starts the engine revs go up at least 500 rpm and keeps at this level for a good period of time

I have tried to understand what is happening and went to the local KTM dealer but they said that this is the first time that they are facing such kind of problem.

I also noted that engine revs are not so stable and fall from 1500 rpm to around 1200 rpm and came back to 1500 rpm.

Please could anyone give an idea what is happening with my KTM 950 ADV .

Kind Regards

Pedro Nelson
Old 05-06-2006, 04:11 PM   #2
coyote
subhuman mongrel

Oddometer: 24,624
Mine did this before I removed the EVAP system.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:15 PM   #3
La_Poderosa_3
It's not freezing!!!!

Oddometer: 164
How many miles are on your bike?

I have found mine used to stray quite a bit (between 1400 and 2000). But once I had the first service done, evap can out, and a few thousand more miles on it has steadied itself out a bit but still strays between 1400-1750 or so.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, other than you don't want it to idle under 1400 or oil won't make it into the head.

I would take the bike out for a ride and get it really warmed up, then use the idle screw and put the idle more or less where you want it and then forget about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Nelson
Yesterday I start felling that when the engine temperature reach 102 and the radiator fan starts the engine revs go up at least 500 rpm and keeps at this level for a good period of time

I have tried to understand what is happening and went to the local KTM dealer but they said that this is the first time that they are facing such kind of problem.

I also noted that engine revs are not so stable and fall from 1500 rpm to around 1200 rpm and came back to 1500 rpm.

Please could anyone give an idea what is happening with my KTM 950 ADV .

Kind Regards

Pedro Nelson
Old 05-07-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
KTMlvr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Its funny

Its funny that this thread has started, i came on here to search for the same thing and saw this. My 04 S is doing that hot and to fix it from FUCKING STALLING at the traffic light. I cranked up the idle to 1500 and its better but still will shut down when the rpm dips too far down.. Im not very impressed with this as its a very very expensive bike and the carb work is that of somthing worn out.. Im pissed, then on the other hand once rolling along its fine.. wrap it up to 7-8 grand and hold on.. its a riot..
Attached Images

1991 ZX7
1992 WR 200
1983 GS 1100ESD
1983 KDX 250
1982 YZ 125
1981 GS 550 E
1975 Can-Am 175 MX
1970 SL 100

yes, I'm old
KTMlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:03 PM   #5
La_Poderosa_3
It's not freezing!!!!

Oddometer: 164
Like I mentioned earlier, 1500 is really the minimum you should idle the bike. Any lower than that and it won't pump oil into the head.

The next remedy is to pull the evap can. Additionally, last week, some fellas here were talking about a "cannisterectomy lite", in which you pull the drain plug on the hose that drans the cannister and find that its all jammed up with necrotic gas.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...terectomy+lite

If you try this I bet you might like it. However, be sure to keep your idle up, you think your bike is expensive now, rebuilding the head or getting a new engine ain't gonna be pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMlvr
Its funny that this thread has started, i came on here to search for the same thing and saw this. My 04 S is doing that hot and to fix it from FUCKING STALLING at the traffic light. I cranked up the idle to 1500 and its better but still will shut down when the rpm dips too far down.. Im not very impressed with this as its a very very expensive bike and the carb work is that of somthing worn out.. Im pissed, then on the other hand once rolling along its fine.. wrap it up to 7-8 grand and hold on.. its a riot..
Old 11-24-2006, 02:54 PM   #6
Freddie Rides
Can't find the door

Oddometer: 244
It's the clutch

Quote:

Kind Regards

Pedro Nelson
Mine does the same thing . . . and it's the clutch. You'll notice that when the rpms drop if you let off the brake the bike wants to pull forward. It's almost like the gears are engaging on their own.

So the new question is: Why does the clutch vary pressure all on its own?

Maybe ought to read up on clutch slave cylinder problem.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:43 PM   #7
TipOver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
hot hot hot!!!

Quote:
Pedro, your details are a bit scanty but if the engine is hot (fan running) and you are moving slowly or even stopped then the bike is breathing that hot air from the engine (through the horn on the airbox). That WILL cause a change in idle.

I suspect that hot, thin air will cause your engine to run rich (thin air, same fuel) & that may cause an increase in idle.

Solution-Don't get stuck in traffic. These engines do require moving air across the radiators to cool them. And keep the previous suggestions you've received in mind as they are valid as well. Good Riding.
TipOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 04:43 PM   #8
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,721
The drowning of the engine is probably too rich mix!!

The instability of rpms I have, I was told was due to worn carbs??? at 54 k kms!! The clutch dagging is a different matter!! The factory asks for 1400 rpms idle!! Cheers!!

gefr screwed with this post 02-02-2012 at 04:19 PM
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:32 AM   #9
idahoskiguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
The EVAP theory has merit, my 06 exhibits this beheavor but I realy never considered it a problem and it has never stalled. Just keep the idle at 1400 as per the manual and you should not have any trouble.

Also if you have overfilled the fuel tanks you may have gotten fuel in the canister (EVAP) and this could make the problem worse. Should correct itself as the fuel in the canister is used up and you don't over fill the tanks.
idahoskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 290
Idle up and down. . .

I see this is an old thread. Here's my take (2012). When the idle allows the bike to stall, I turn up the (remote) idle adjustment. Then, the rpm's will run too high. I have found that when I re-fuel at the end of the day, my problem seems to go away for the next ride. I'm guessing poor fuel quality, which is a pretty reasonable guess I think. Works for me! Good luck. *(cheap fix)