Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #766
Switch Blade Sammy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Wow. My heart goes out to you and your family Clay. I hope you are looking down from above reading these posts. I am a noobie looking foward to the days when I'll be able to feel the vibrations of the road & trail, the sound of the bikes, the different smells in the air, setting up the tent next to the bike after a long day, the wonderful views. Rest assured that I will always think of you when out on my bike. I will not through caution to the wind but will instead take caution along in my hip pocket. I'll think of you when Hypmotized by the campfire. We never got to meet, I'm sure that we would get along. I too am an adventurer and always have been and we are the same age. RIP Clay, you may no longer walk among us but your memory will certainly always travel the world with each person you have touched. You will always be on some adventure with anyone of us ADVenture riders.
Switch Blade Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:29 AM   #767
Sebastionbear
DrBig Lives......

Oddometer: 419
Rest in Peace Clay.

Never have I read a 52 page thread from start to finish with such a mix of emotions, from joy through sadness to elation and despair.

My sincerest condolences to Clay's family and friends. My parents when I was young - in a vain attempt to stem my enthusiasm for life once told me that a Mother and Father should never have to bury their children. Ozy's Mom has the strength of character her son had and has faced this sadness with an unparalled stoicism and wisdom.

As many in the group have indicated, Clay also rides on my shoulder reminding me not only of the joys of life, of adventure and unbounded enthusiasm, but to keep a weather eye open.

Kind regards to all, Craig

The biggest adventure you can take is to live the life of your dreams.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:53 AM   #768
x2468
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I just found this thread a few days ago and it has been such an emotional roller coaster. what a shocking read. It's been on my mind for the past couple of days. It pains me to think that something i love so much, motorcycle riding, can also be a double edge sword, and strike us down at any moment. it reminds me that every time i go out and ride, something could happen in the blink of an eye. and that's an unsettling thought, but also a very necessary one. This thread has also reminded me of many of the other fallen/injured riders like Vincent Haskovec, Doug Henry, Ricky James, Dajiro Kato, Blair Morgan and the rest. RIP clayton.

i wonder if something like a spine protector or a leatt prace would have prevented the injury? guess we'll never know. but im highly considering a leatt brace now.

x2468 screwed with this post 10-24-2008 at 02:12 AM
x2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #769
alainmax
ca vaut le detour !!

Oddometer: 616
OZ mom,

je pense tres souvent a cette tragedie et porte l'image de Clay chaque fois que j'enfourche la moto. J'ai aussi deux fils sur la route en moto que clayton a fait rever. Clay restera une inspiration permanente pour nous trois. Losrque le regard casque d'un de mes fils croise le mien, nous pensons tous les deux a Clay.

Je vous souhaite courage et solace, vous faites partie de notre monde d' "adventurers" et nous en sommes tous tres fiers.

Nous sommes tous plus prudents grace a Clay....comme si cela etait sa destinee
Thank you Clayton

Alain

PS: can't wait for a few stickers
Old 10-27-2008, 04:16 PM   #770
Ozy'sMom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Cry Ozy's Mom

Dear Friends:
I was just sitting in my office and thinking about all of you. It has been a couple of tough nights. I keep dreaming of Clay, and thinking I can reach out and touch him... But whenever I try, I awake... My sister says that this is Clay's way of coming through to me. I wish I had her great faith that this were true. It is not hard to wonder where Clayton got his skepticism... Once again, I am comforted by the additional members who are now part of Clay's thoughts and wisdom. He is reaching out again from his spirit and connecting with those who need to know... whatever that knowing may be at the moment.
The holidays are going to be tough. I already feel the tug at the scabs that began to form. Healing is so tenuious. He loved the Fall. He loved Thanksgiving dinner. As a matter of fact, when he lived in Seattle and was not with us for the holiday, he was the one who cooked dinner for his friends. I remember him calling me for an update on the cooking-turkey tutorial. He was a really good cook. When he was young, I could keep him entertained for hours cooking. Christmas cookie making is a really happy and hard memory for me to conjur. I found my old cookie cutters the other day, and just holding them made me so very sad. What I would not give to press his small hand over the cutter and into the dough... To watch him lift it to see the bell or reindeer or santa below... Then, it was all about trying not to dump the whole bottle of green or red sparkles on top.
Go and make a whole bunch of cookies with your kids and grandkids. Let them get flour all over the place. Dump bottles full of sprinkles and sparkles on top. Put on Christmas carols, and sing off key and as loud as you can... You will never know as I do (and I pray you will never know) how precious those moments really are... I feel I can just share here. Thank you for caring...
Love,
Marylyn
Ozy'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:28 PM   #771
danbrew
GSAdv.com

Oddometer: 1,035
Marylyn, we know that Clay was loved - it is apparent in your posts and in your shared pain. I had to smile at your memory of cookies & your son. Whether a child or adult, who doesn't have memories of the holidays? Know that we'll keep your family, and Clay's memory in our hearts and prayers this holiday season.

danbrew
and smugmug for the latest photos
danbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:56 PM   #772
10guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Marylyn,
As a person who lost his brother just over 5 years ago to suicide and then just last month I lost my step-brother to the same thing. I have had to help my father through burying two children, fortunately my mother only lost the one. It is not something that is supposed to happen. I can tell you that it alone has made me think twice about what I'm about to do, I would hate to put them through it again so I have begun to play it safe a bit more, or at least not be so reckless.

Clay's story is one that reverberates with me whenever I ride. It is a reminder of what can happen.
10guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:02 PM   #773
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,486
Definitely will Marylyn. We will, next time I'm home for Christmas I'll bring it up and talk to my two about it...they'll especially get a laugh about the sprinkles and we'll get a pause about how fleeting it is.

Thinking of you and of Clay,

-Bill
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:19 AM   #774
laughatmyvanagon111
Wet Side of the Mountains

Oddometer: 222
Awesome thread. Get a t-shirt if you can. Got mine and I'm always asked questions about it at the gym. Bright orange and with a list of his equipment you can't miss it.
laughatmyvanagon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:30 PM   #775
chipguy1
n00b

Oddometer: 6
T Shirts

will there be another order placed for t-shirts? I would love to get one.
Tom
chipguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:04 AM   #776
surftheearth
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Reading Clayton's story has affected me deeply. I am doing essentially the same trip as Clayton in a few weeks. I will be by myself and I am a complete noob traveling the same route. He will stay with me. I will need some company on my travels.

Marilyn,
Thank you for sharing your memories of your son with us. You are a loving Mom. You make me thankful for my family and the memories that we shared. You have those memories forever and those are always good. And now I will call my Mom and tell her how much she means to me.
surftheearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #777
urzuaj
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Very cool, my brotha! Good luck! I think most of us would love to do what you are about to! The best of luck with your journey!
urzuaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #778
GR8ADV
Pow right in the kisser

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipguy1
will there be another order placed for t-shirts? I would love to get one.
Tom
mee too

It's All BS Til' the Nanny Posts
GR8ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #779
10guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Last I heard there were not going to be another printing of the shirts, however raindog was getting some stickers ready.
10guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #780
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,002
Hi Ozy-Mom

I will make some cookies with my kids. My daughters are almost-grown, but I'm sure they'll look under the cutter the same way every kid always has.

I don't know if you know this, but when I got to Argentina I said hello to it for Ozy.

Max
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote