Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2006, 07:23 PM   #91
Zanzibar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Riding is a combination of both experience and luck. Experience can help improve your luck, but not always.

I almost ate pavement due to a flat tire on my recent trip. The luck part was that it happened on a flat straightaway instead of a curvy downhill section (close - the truck 'brake check area' was only 1 mile ahead...) and I wasn't being tailgated by an 18-wheeler.

The experience part was lacking - had I known the importance of matching tire pressure to weight load and speed, it never would have happened in the first place.
Zanzibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:25 PM   #92
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,079
Thumb

Clayton, we are ALL proud of you for your strength and attitude. What happened to you could happen to ANY OF US on any day. That's just part of the deal. Life is dangerous. My heart and prayers go out to you and I hope I can be as strong as you should my ticket be punched. Carry on, my man. We are ALL pulling for you!! Get on with your life and be what you can be. You WILL do well. You have the ADVrider attitude. Good on ya', mate!!!!
Old 06-11-2006, 08:58 PM   #93
low-post lurker

Oddometer: 204
Clayton,
For some reason your story really got to me. It started out like so many light-hearted, fun ride reports. Then, bam, it hits you. The reality that your life can change in a heartbeat.
I've been riding since the late 60's without a serious go-down. You get complacent and think nothing of it until something like this happens. It makes you re-evaluate your ablilities and priorities. It could happen to any of us regardless of experience or prepartation. Shit happens.
It makes me think of what would happen to my wife & kids if in the blink of an eye, life as I know it ended. Damm.
It makes me think of my son, 14, he's a good trail rider. I've taught him how to ride well & safely, and I know he will be just like dad and always have a motorcycle in his life. Makes me worry like hell.
I've given him this gift that could take his life. Is it worth it? Who knows. The freedom of the road is like nothing else. But is it worth the risk? For me it was. My dad did the same for me, but now I wonder.
God be with you. Your zest for life you pull you thru this, and I am sure that somehow you will be in the wind again.
Ray

396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:42 AM   #94
Two Dot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Clayton,

As everyone has said, I am saddened by your accident BUT inspired by your toughness and resolve.

To keep fighting and living the good life is the best revenge on this terrible accident.

Please don't blame yourself. Animals are unpredictable. Mexican animals, especially so. It could happen to any one of us ADV riders.

Be well, my friend.

Stephen
aka Two Dot
Old 06-12-2006, 08:22 AM   #95
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZYMANDIAS
Learn from me my friends.
Clayton
it's called 20/20 hindsight...please don't beat yourself up over it. many of us are lucky to be alive due to mistakes/crashes we have made when riding.

keep your resolve and get to school in september,

rob
Old 06-12-2006, 09:03 AM   #96
Spades
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Clayton, I followed your story from your first post, and your accident has shaken me, as it appears to have shaken many of us. I read your first several posts with interest, and I was impressed by your courage and sense of humour. I believe you can pull through this tragedy, I believe you will overcome the challenges that lay ahead. The courage that drew you to the road will one day bring you to your feet, and like others here, I hope we'll see you ride again. All the best, keep your spirits high.

Evan
Spades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:14 PM   #97
sandiegoland
Adventure Boyģ

Oddometer: 1,743
Peace and strength, in whatever order and quantity you need them!!
sandiegoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:52 AM   #98
low-post lurker

Oddometer: 204
Bump
Any news about Clayton?

396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:02 AM   #99
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396
Bump
Any news about Clayton?
Go to this thread and go to post # 62. That seems to be the latest.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=143806&page=2

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:47 PM   #100
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,433
sorry to hear of this......damnit....this happened on Mex 200?....rode thru there last spring on 2 KLRs...and one went down....shook up my buddy but was ok...I can visualize the area....but that is irrelavant.....

Clayton...keep on it....cheers
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:18 PM   #101
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by hava98
Vaya con dios, amigo. Someone please post the Paypal account where we can contribute $$$. Thanks...
+1 on the PP acct, I want to help too. My prayers are with you, I started reading your thread when it began and then stumbled across this bad news. You have a great attitude!

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:04 PM   #102
DaleB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
peace

hope this note finds you in good spirits, no doubt it will!
we're thinking and praying for your speedy recovery.

all the best,
dale

---------------
'05 R12GS - in a wad
'04 LemFiddyGS - sold
'84 RM125 - sold
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:17 PM   #103
NoMystery
Jesse's Girl

Oddometer: 9,943
Clayton,

This song has played on the radio alot lately, almost everytime I drive somewhere... I want to go buy the CD, even though I don't listen to alot of Country these days. Anyways, I have cried my eyes out everytime I hear it; because, it makes me truly feel for you. I'm getting choked up again, just tryin to post this... tears of joy too, as I'm so proud of you for your mental strength Hang in there, friend.

Life aint always beautiful
Sometimes it's just plain hard
Life can knock you down, it can break your heart

You think you're on your way
And it's just a dead end road at the end of the day

But the struggles make you stronger
And the changes make you wise
And happiness has its own way of takin it's sweet time

CHORUS
No, life aint always beautiful
Tears will fall sometimes
But it's a beautiful ride

Some days I miss your smile
I get tired of walkin all these lonely miles

And I wish for just one minute
I could see your pretty face
Guess I can dream, but life donít work that way

But the struggles make me stronger
And the changes make me wise
And happiness has its own way of takin it's sweet time

No, life aint always beautiful
But i know i'll be fine
Hey, life aint always beautiful
But it's a beautiful ride
What a beautiful ride

-Gary Allen

- - - the high - - - - - - - -

NoMystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:03 PM   #104
OZYMANDIAS OP
RIP, Clayton...

Oddometer: 33
The News From Houston

Hello Friends-
I just got done reading a number of threads and am, once again, so thankful for what all of you are doing for me. And again, forgive me for not responding to each of you individually, but perhaps it is better to write one longer note so I can say more rather than repeating similar things many times.

It is about day seventeen in the hospital, and though there have been delays, it looks like Iíll be going to rehab tomorrow. I now have very little pain at the site of the surgery, and have regained my appetite somewhat. Iím still able to do very little, and honestly lying in bed for so long is a bit maddening. I can do a bit with a light dumbbell, and am able to pull myself on my side using the rails, and to pull myself upright using a grip they hung above me.

Iíve been honest with everyone until now, and feel that anything less would compromise the value of the relationship Iíve come to have with all of you, and show insufficient gratitude for all that everyone has done for me. Iím having a hard time, my friends. Everyone praises me for my attitude and spirit, but Iím not so sure. I fear waking up in the morning, because of the reality that immediately sets upon me. I was once so strong and capable. I frequently felt joy, and always had hope. Now itís not clear at all to me that I will ever again come to view my life as worthwhile. Heavy thoughts force themselves upon me all day long, and I sometimes cry.
It does not surprise me that I am feeling this way just now, but the future also seems like such a black and frightening question mark. Iím concerned now about my capacity to succeed at law school and deal with this at the same time. Even before my accident, it took a tremendous amount of work and effort to keep myself moving upward. How will I maintain that while fighting this threat to my spirit?

I suppose the essence of things might be somewhat simple. Before, I had a choice of striving and enduring and making it to the top of the mountain, or of falling by the wayside. Now, I have the same choice, but about 120 pounds of my body is, in effect, dead, and if Iím going to get to the same place Iím just going to have to drag it along with me a little at a time, both literally and metaphorically. There are so many unknowns for me just now, that all I can seem to do is keep my composure as best I can, do what the doctors tell me, and deal with things as they come my way.

Things seem so complex, and I feel that the way Iím expressing myself betrays that Iím losing the battle. I donít know what to think about that. You have all inspired me, and I wish I could be more of an inspiration to all of you, but this is how Iím feeling. I donít want to be a doomsayer or discourage anyone from pursuing a life of adventure, because I can honestly say that I donít regret having chosen to go on this trip. If I found I could stand and walk tomorrow, Iíd fix my bike up and finish the ride, absolutely, albeit far more cautiously. I just want you all to understand what a horrible nightmare this is for me, and how greatly becoming like me is to be feared. Keep riding my friends. There is cowardice and foolhardiness, and courage is right in the middle.

Just so you all know Iím not completely lost, I can still enjoy the company of my hot nurses and would like to put my arms around them, and there are certainly moments when I smile and laugh. Iím working on my laptop now via a wireless connection, but Iím told that rehab only has dial-up, so hopefully Iíll be able to figure that out, because it has been about six years. Iíll be in touch everyone. Again, thank you all so very much. Clayton
Old 06-15-2006, 05:21 PM   #105
danbrew
GSAdv.com

Oddometer: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZYMANDIAS
Iím having a hard time, my friends. Everyone praises me for my attitude and spirit, but Iím not so sure. I fear waking up in the morning, because of the reality that immediately sets upon me. I was once so strong and capable. I frequently felt joy, and always had hope. Now itís not clear at all to me that I will ever again come to view my life as worthwhile. Heavy thoughts force themselves upon me all day long, and I sometimes cry.
Clayton - the feelings you're faced with are so entirely reasonable and predictable that it's a wonder that's not the first thing the docs said to you.

I'm so sorry what happened happened. But..., my friend, you've got the rest of your very long life left to consider these things. You can give up and not survive, or you can adapt and kick some serious ass. There's no doubt in my mind about what you'll do.

My words may seem harsh - but they're to the point. The world will not stop turning tomorrow. 24 hours from now and you'll have encountered 24 hours - 1440 minutes - 86400 seconds. That time will pass whether you give up or whether you make the most of it.

So... make the most of it.

I'm pulling for 'ya pal. Now go get your law degree 'cause I'm quite certain I'll need somebody to get me out of prison one day.

danbrew is offline   Reply With Quote