ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
skidxr OP
Excuses

Oddometer: 383
990 ADV Chain Replacement

It's time to replace my chain on the 990. Is there something specific I should be looking for? Like strength? Etc. I know it's a 525 x 118 I'm going to replace the sprockets as well and was thinking of going to 17/45
Old 08-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
GZERO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
I think that's the best ratio you can get, because if you go to a gnarly ride you can take the 16 tooth sprocket and have a beast on the tight stuff, then swapping back the 17 front and be good on the highway and MPG.
As far as chain, make sure you get the best, if not the beast will eat it pretty quick.
GZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 678
I'd take a look at the sprocket / chain combos from Dirt Tricks. The Ironman sprockets are bad-ass, and you can get a good combo price with a quality chain. And don't forget to change your sprocket bolts when you change your sprocket.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:33 AM   #4
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
After several bad experiences with inferior chains, the only chains I will use are DID ZVM.
And Supersprox. I've heard good things about Ironman, but haven't tried one yet. I've got a set on the way for my 950 SM.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
Tangai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
After several bad experiences with inferior chains, the only chains I will use are DID ZVM.
And Supersprox. I've heard good things about Ironman, but haven't tried one yet. I've got a set on the way for my 950 SM.
Yeah! I agree with that totally. Don't get cheap with the chain and use a good Synthetic chain lube, oil the fool out of it, and you'll get a good 20,000 smooth miles with it.
Tangai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #6
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,017
I just installed a D.I.D. 525 ZVM - X while preping my 990 for riding
around South America this Winter,
Super strong and I'd say good for 15,000 20,000 mi.

I'm also running 17 / 45 gearing.

If you use the 118 link with the 17 / 45 you will have to
reverse the chain adjuster blocks, which the manual says
not to do.
I used the 120 link and the axle is close to the center of the
swing arms adjustment range.

Google around for the best price and you will find some good savings.

For the install, I first cleaned all the shipping grease off with a rage
lightly sprayed with WD 40.
Then sprayed with DuPont Teflon Chain Lube.
I used the Motion Pro chain tool.

Twist it, Max
Old 08-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
Slvrtundevl
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
I have the 17/45 on mine right now. you will need a 120 link chain for that combo unless you flip the blocks...

I am going back to the 118 link as soon as I can... it allows me to use the 17/42 16/45 16/42 combo's Better having 3 options than 1...

D.I.D. 525 ZVM chain... +1
Old 08-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #8
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,427
16/45 here, flipped blocks, stock 118 link chain, no issues 13k miles later.

S
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 326
Just this weekend -

At 22k, I was hearing some 'chain noise' if the motor was lugged, i.e. <3500rpm, top gear. Visually, the chain looks great (as I've seen a lot of severly worn sprocket/chains on enduro bikes over the decades). The sprockets were starting to indicate wear but not enough to warrant replacement immediately.

Per the handbook, measure the distance between 18 chain roller pins. Apply 33 lbs downward pressure at bottom measurement point. It is recommended that the chain be replaced when the distance becomes 272mm (10.70") or greater. So, I'm replacing - even though appearance-wise the chain is not ragged out. There's a reason I was getting chain noise and this is what I suspected.

I'm from the school of replacing sprockets/chain as a package. Worn chain wear on new sprockets, worn sprockets will wear a new chain. To each, his own point of view.

KTM has an OEM kit (2003-2009), p/n 0005-0002-013, chain, front and rear sprockets, $251.99. The chain is DID.
My dealer give me 20% off on my KTM parts so it's about $200. I could do alot of shopping and testing but I trust KTM puts adequate OEM hardware on the bike so I'm skipping all of the shopping and testing. I'm pretty happy with 22k, I don't flog my bike. For those who like to shop/experiment, please have at it. (even though I do like those orange rear sprockets. . . )

That's (almost) all I have to say - happy trails!

The next time you negotiate the price of a new bike - ask for a parts discount. The dealer won't lose money, and he'll be guaranteed of your business.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,427
So, do you have t pull the swingarm to install that kit?

S
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
skidxr OP
Excuses

Oddometer: 383
I googled that part number Bob and got nothing. My dealer (who SUCKS) knows nothing of a kit. What dealer did you purchase it from?
Old 08-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #12
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
So, do you have t pull the swingarm to install that kit?

S
No - chain is supplied with a soft rivet link

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidxr View Post
I googled that part number Bob and got nothing. My dealer (who SUCKS) knows nothing of a kit. What dealer did you purchase it from?
Try giving the dealer the part number without the hyphens - 00050002013

Or it may just be that he will make more $$$ selling you the parts individually so he does not want to sell you the kit .......................

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #13
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 326
sprocket & chain kit - available

What dealer did you purchase it from?...............................

I located the kit via CycleHutt, North Dakota. Just select- Hard Parts> Adventure bikes>chains/sprockets. They also have a nice 'micro-fiche' system which helps identify all parts (and prices). Note: just because a part is not listed on the fiche does not mean the dealer cannot order it.

I buy my parts through Sport Cycles (Athens Ohio). I called my guy last week telling him there was no hurry - I just called to confirm that order went through - it did. He kit is waiting on me.

I like the CycleHutt guys, helpful on the phone when I need them - try them out. I just don't get my discount there.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #14
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
OK, as far as that DID ZVM goes, I've had one for 4 years on my Duc, lots of wheelies, clutching it up, I beat the crap out of that bike (and it likes it!), Supersprox steel over aluminum. I got 4 years, no BS, 4 years, 5 rear tires, never touched the adjusters, out of it. I thought that was spectacular. Same with my YZ450F, stocker was toast in 2 rides (Yamaha dirt bike chains are junk). Same set up, ZVM (a bit of overkill for a dirtbike, but I buy what I know works), Supersprox, stock front. 2 full years of riding, no adjustments. Can't beat that.

As far as the KTM kit price, a ZVM retails for about $250 or so, maybe about $220 discounted. The kit KTM one is (I assume) not the highest end chain, but if it was an ERV, still very good quality. VM is decent too.

Oh yeah, chain lube. Over the years, I've tried every thing. Even that guy at Krause Racing (the Supersprox place, he's a hell of a salesman) sold me a can of the World's Most Expensive Chain Lube. And from what I've noticed, it doesn't make a bit of difference what you use. From WalMarts Champions Spark Plug Brand chain lube, to BelRay, PJ1, Lucas, Klotz, Motul, Motorex, I've tried everything, I've come to the conclusion that it all flings. None of it seems to work any better than any others, TriFlon or whatever it's called now, doesn't mess things up as much, but I'll assume it doesn't lubricate as well either.

But I lube my chain about every 3 days, first I clean it with WD-40 (OH NO, shock, horror, death, devastation), wipe it off, then chain lube it with whatever is handy. And I leave the original DID white lube stuff on there, why, I don't know.

corndog67 screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 10:02 AM
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #15
GZERO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
OK, as far as that DID ZVM goes, I've had one for 4 years on my Duc, lots of wheelies, clutching it up, I beat the crap out of that bike (and it likes it!), Supersprox steel over aluminum. I got 4 years, no BS, 4 years, 5 rear tires, never touched the adjusters, out of it. I thought that was spectacular. Same with my YZ450F, stocker was toast in 2 rides (Yamaha dirt bike chains are junk). Same set up, ZVM (a bit of overkill for a dirtbike, but I buy what I know works), Supersprox, stock front. 2 full years of riding, no adjustments. Can't beat that.

As far as the KTM kit price, a ZVM retails for about $250 or so, maybe about $220 discounted. The kit KTM one is (I assume) not the highest end chain, but if it was an ERV, still very good quality. VM is decent too.

Oh yeah, chain lube. Over the years, I've tried every thing. Even that guy at Krause Racing (the Supersprox place, he's a hell of a salesman) sold me a can of the World's Most Expensive Chain Lube. And from what I've noticed, it doesn't make a bit of difference what you use. From WalMarts Champions Spark Plug Brand chain lube, to BelRay, PJ1, Lucas, Klotz, Motul, Motorex, I've tried everything, I've come to the conclusion that it all flings. None of it seems to work any better than any others, TriFlon or whatever it's called now, doesn't mess things up as much, but I'll assume it doesn't lubricate as well either.

But I lube my chain about every 3 days, first I clean it with WD-40 (OH NO, shock, horror, death, devastation), wipe it off, then chain lube it with whatever is handy. And I leave the original DID white lube stuff on there, why, I don't know.
you're right on everything.
BTW: laughed really hard with the WD40.

GZERO screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 12:09 PM
GZERO is offline   Reply With Quote