Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
Hair OP
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,262
Revisit of an old issue: Hair's 950SER side stand mount.

Recently I was PM by a 950SER rider asking me to repost the photos of my kickstand relocation mount build for my 950SER.

I decided to start a new thread because the build is only half of what needs to be discussed when choosing to do home modifications on a bike. In short there were some issues that arose from this build. Defiantly one that I would address if I still had the bike.

My background is in applied physics. I have no design skills and some fab skills mainly from a past life. My greatest assets include having a good understanding of the basic rules of nature that apply to such a project. And the fact that I have been involved with many projects.
The guy who did most of the work on this project is one of the best fab guys here at the lab. He has a home shop. That is where the work was done.
I also had a mentor. Powercell had posted the results of his project. Powercell’s designs are typically spot on, so I looked to his work to build mine. But that doesn’t say that I could not screw things up. I am perfectly capable of doing that.

Along with the 950 I also had a 04 Husaberg 650 that I used to model.

Looking at that photo one can see that the base of the kickstand on the berg is plum with the center of mass of the motor. I wanted to do the same thing on my 950. The last thing that I wanted was for the 950 to be unstable when the kickstand was down.

Looking at the OEM 950 Stand it came down to almost the same location. This made me really want to hit the mark with my kickstand. The problem was the stand would be moved a few inches back from the OEM location to a spot on the frame tube.

To get the base of the stand more forward the kickstand stop was ground some to allow it to rotate farther forward.

The plate was ground to sort of fit on the frame. It was tacked in place and we functioned the kickstand to make sure that it cleared everything.

At that point we welded and painted the stand mount.

After I begin to ride the bike I realized that by grinding the stop I created what could have been a very unsafe condition. The ground down stop allowed the kickstand to rotate farther forward than it should ever be allowed to rotate. If my chance I had taken off on the bike or if by riding a ruff section and the stand had managed to come down, the stand would not sell retract when it struck the ground. In fact with the stand so far forward. I would bet that it would have sent the bike flying into the bushes long before it ever retracted to its up right position.
Future efforts I would have tried to balance the weight on a stand that was farther back. Or tried something else to get the stand in the right spot to hold the weight.

I no longer have any information about the size of the plated that was used. Only that it would not flex with the weight of the bike on it. Mountain Eagle currently owns the bike. You might ask him to see if he would measure the plate and where it is located.

Honestly If I were lucky enough to get my hands on another 950SER. I would try to use of the commercial fixes before I fabed another one myself.

One last comment about the SER. If you are lucky enough to own one of these bikes. Don't ever sell it. You will be kicking yourself for a very long time. If I still had mine I would run it into the ground and rebuild it and run it into the ground again. And after it just wasn't feasible to fix the bike any more. I would mount my mail box on it, I would smile every time I got the mail.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,672
Thank you Hair, exactly what I needed to see in the pics. I hope my SE never gets to mailbox status but I guess it'd beb better than never seeing it again!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,109
Nice write up. Always thought Hairs/your mod was prob the best solution...basically the same as the Adv rally bike design. I just didnt want to weld to my frame myself. If I bend my plate, replace with a new one...
Old 08-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,672
Wasn't there a guy who bolted a plate right to the frame above the peg too? IIRC he tapped the holes he drilled and it was pretty sano. I've been searching but can't find that one.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
mountain eagle
terrorist

Oddometer: 2,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
One last comment about the SER. If you are lucky enough to own one of these bikes. Don't ever sell it. You will be kicking yourself for a very long time. If I still had mine I would run it into the ground and rebuild it and run it into the ground again. And after it just wasn't feasible to fix the bike any more. I would mount my mail box on it, I would smile every time I got the mail.
Well put Tim. If you ever see me even consider selling your old 950SE slap some sense into me. The only way I could envision giving it up is if some manufacturer made the same basic bike that was somehow better. I don't figure on that happening..........

Tim is right, had the aftermarket fixes been available it is likely the best bet. That said, I'm more than happy with the result he came up with. It works great and has never given me any reason to make me think twice about it. If anyone wants a measurement or pictures let me know and I'll do what I can.
my smugmug gallery
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?

mountain eagle screwed with this post 08-18-2012 at 12:38 PM Reason: grammer
mountain eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Wasn't there a guy who bolted a plate right to the frame above the peg too? IIRC he tapped the holes he drilled and it was pretty sano. I've been searching but can't find that one.
I think it also used the foot peg mount.