ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2006, 08:53 PM   #1
shardzero OP
I have a bike.....

Oddometer: 486
Question Fitment of KTM plastic vs aluminium panniers

Just wondering if the plastic panniers are fitted more securely than the aluminium ons, or vice versa.

A lot of images of the plastic ons have a cord around the middle section, is thsi to keep them on or for extra luggage; I can't be sure??

I have a good idea how the aluminium ons fit as there made by touratech and I have looked at the installation diagram. (also the BMW ons took a good beating on TLWR so must be good).

Is the water thingo useful in the plastic ons??

What limitations have you the owners found??

Anyone got an image of the adventure top box fitted??

All these questions and more can be answered here. I realize there are many threads about the abundant variety, but im just interested in more detail about these 2, I like the factory stuff, what can I say.
shardzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:23 PM   #2
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
When I first got the "plastic panniers" I wasn't sure I would like them. I even came real close to ordering a pair of metal ones. After using them for over a year and 15k miles, I find that they work very well. They hold a huge amount of gear and protect it very well. They are also very tough and hold up well to daily bashing into things (walls, posts, cars, etc) without coming off or showing any damage. They also don't damage the things they run into (like cars when splitting lanes in traffic). They also make very good camp stools and tables when on the road.

Did I say they are wide? Yes they are very wide and take a bit of getting used to, but the width only effects me when manuvering through heavy traffic. The rest of the time they are out of sight and out of mind. No need to bungie or strap them on as they are mounted very securely (or I would have knocked them off by now I haven't used the liquid dispenser "feature" as it requires too much fidling for me, but it looks like it would work. Though, I would rather fill that space with foam insulation and make them into a couple of good ice chests to keep my beer cold on the road

I haven't used the plasic top box as the soft bag by KTM works well fo me (more flexible in mounting locations).
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:27 PM   #3
shardzero OP
I have a bike.....

Oddometer: 486
A very concise summation. Said it all, or at least what I was hoping to hear. Good to hear they can take a knock. It will be strange having that extra width alright.

Cheers
shardzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:30 PM   #4
arroyoshark
Needing some space

Oddometer: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by shardzero
Just wondering if the plastic panniers are fitted more securely than the aluminium ons, or vice versa.

A lot of images of the plastic ons have a cord around the middle section, is thsi to keep them on or for extra luggage; I can't be sure??

Both the mounts for Hepko & Becker panniers, as well as touratech seem to have very secure mounts. Don't know why one would need additional straps.

I thought is was the BMW system cases on OEM brackets that always come flying off on a hard landing or bump, so that is why they always have a security strap around these boxes.

I did not care for the gobi boxes. They don't have that much packable volume, yet stick way out to the sides of the bike, like the x-large touratech panniers. I mounted H&B junior cases (plastic) on my 950 and I kind of like their slightly more aerodynamic design to the square boxes. Got them from a Moto-Guzzi dealer.
arroyoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:21 AM   #5
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by arroyoshark
I mounted H&B junior cases (plastic) on my 950 and I kind of like their slightly more aerodynamic design to the square boxes.
My 950 came with the gobi's already fitted but I also have a pair of H & B Juniors which are much smaller and ideal for shorter trips.

Joe Bar screwed with this post 05-09-2006 at 01:38 AM
Joe Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:06 AM   #6
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
Nice tank bag BMK......where would one acquire a bag like that??
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:35 AM   #7
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,454
05-04-2006, 11:42 AM #4
YOGOI
Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainGS
KTM factory aluminum cases come in 35 or 41 litter sizes. The Gobis are nice, especially since KTM threw them into the deal but you lose a lot of storage to the double wall construction.
Here they both are for comparison.

Is there any info on the weight differances? The problem I have had with the plastic ones is that the latch has a weak point and after 3000+ miles of Baja washboard roads they have both broke off (I am not the only one w/ this prob.), However; it is not imposable for the aluminum box to pop off ether. I know a guy that lost one on a trail, never to be found again.

I haven't replaced my latches yet, so I have been cruse'n around with the boxes secured by a ratchet strap. I miss the easy one latch on and off, so I think all spend the $20 (not sure if thats for a set, or just one) on new latches.

I think when I go on tours I will keep use'n the ratchet strap (even after I get new latches) becouse I think it will allow the new latches to last longer, and they make a great back up, or tow strap .

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:58 AM   #8
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,743
The plastic bags ARE tough, but the latches that hold them on are indeed VERY prone to break if you hit the bags on trees or rocks or cars or...whatever. Landing a jump with them full works to knock them off as well....

I used to always secure mine with an extra ratchet strap to take potential loads off the mounting clamps as well for anythin other than road touring.

You should definitely get some spare latches - you will need them eventually.

Having said that, the plastic cases are very well thought out, easy to put on and take off, and do really make great camp stools.
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:23 PM   #9
petesonhisway
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Touratech 41L boxes

Hello all,

I have Gobi boxes and TT 41L panniers. I havent used the Gobis yet on a trip but have used the TTs on two 5000+ mile trips, one on a 640 Adv and one on a 950. I thought I would add a few comments on the TT boxes and, more importantly, what I think everyone really wants - pics.

First the comments:

The TT boxes are BIG, but when on the bike the width is exactly the same as the Gobis, although they hang an inch or so lower than the Gobis. (sorry I cant show pics of this - my bike is and the dealers being repaired -aaagghh!)

The boxes are waterproof and the fittings are crude but effective, and there is a hole in each of the lid catches for you to insert a padlock (see pics)

The boxes fit the pannier frame very tightly and the mountings are really secure - the boxes will not fall off if you drop the bike unless there is sufficient force to rip the upper fittings through the box, or the pannier frame breaks.

You may already know that just about everything gets covered in black marks when it is rubbed against aluminium, I have lined the boxes with transparent sticky-back plastic and this has worked well in all tenperatures and solved this particular problem.

The main advantage of these panniers for me over the Gobis, apart from the robust fitting to the bike, is their size, and this cant be under - estimated. The TT boxes are 9L bigger than the Gobis but the effect is much greater when you are packing awkward shaped objects such as trainers etc. Some say "the more space you have the more you pack", but to me the extra space means everything is stored in boxes with no need to bungy stuff to the back of the bike. Fit some padlocks and ALL your stuff is secure.

Finally, I know there has been plenty of interest in extra fuel capacity for the 950. One of the pics below shows a standard plastic 5L fuel can inside the pannier. 2 of these fills the pannier about half way (The maximum recommended load per pannier is 15kg - stated on the pannier lid) To my reckoning these boxes can hold 20L of fuel at the same time as storing about as much of your other stuff as the Gobis can practically hold.

Now here are the pics, if anyone wants any more info, pics, or measurements done, just shout!

Pete

http://www.petesonhisway.com/images/DSCF0174.JPG

http://www.petesonhisway.com/images/DSCF0175.JPG

http://www.petesonhisway.com/images/DSCF0177.JPG

http://www.petesonhisway.com/images/DSCF0178.JPG

http://www.petesonhisway.com/images/DSCF0179.JPG

http://www.petesonhisway.com/images/DSCF0180.JPG

http://www.petesonhisway.com/images/DSCF0181.JPG

http://www.petesonhisway.com/images/DSCF0182.JPG

http://www.petesonhisway.com/images/DSCF0183.JPG

http://www.petesonhisway.com/images/DSCF0184.JPG

http://www.petesonhisway.com/images/DSCF0185.JPG

http://www.petesonhisway.com/images/DSCF0186.JPG

http://www.petesonhisway.com/images/DSCF0187.JPG
petesonhisway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:38 PM   #10
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,454
Pete.

Nice reply, and good info. Do you know what the weight differance is between the two?

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:07 PM   #11
petesonhisway
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Can't find any info on the weight of the Gobis. The Touratech website quotes 3.5kg for the Zegas. I just did a crude weight comparision and the Gobis are slightly heavier. The Gobis are much easier to carry around though, because of the handle.

Cheers,

Pete
petesonhisway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:09 PM   #12
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
I have the plastic jobbies and they did 400miles+500miles+400miles on consecutive days and had water in them which was ideal for having a drink at the roadside as well as a wash....cleaning the visor.....geez i coulda even cleaned me teeth!!
The taps cost me something like 4 each yet a half litre bottle of water can cost about 1 a time!!
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:07 AM   #13
MXfritz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Question Riding 2 up with panniers

Hey does anyone have pics and feed back on riding two up with luggage on a 950.Im going to buy a 950s this week but will do alot of 2 up riding with bags on and need to make sure this is comfy for the passenger.I was going to go with a 1150 gs adventure but having trouble locating a good deal and this KTM came up so a change of plans is happening. I already stick her on the back of a rigid frame chopper I built so this 950 has to work for her too!!!
MXfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:20 AM   #14
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,877
The only problem with the bags (I have the gobi plastic jobs) is that if you're wife is, uh, vertically challanged, she's going to be hitting the top of the bags with her leg or foot every time she's getting on. I have a '04 "S" and the only way Mrs. O.C.F. can get on is by stepping on the left hand peg, grabbing my arm, and hoisting herself up and over....smashing the bags every time! I don't care about the scuffs all over the bags, but she's always a little mean-faced after smacking a leg on the bag.

The bags themselves are GRRRRRRRRRRREAT!
And, the bike is about the same width as a Yugo with them on.

Ride On!
Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #15
Douf
Limey Bitch

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXfritz
Hey does anyone have pics and feed back on riding two up with luggage on a 950.Im going to buy a 950s this week but will do alot of 2 up riding with bags on and need to make sure this is comfy for the passenger.I was going to go with a 1150 gs adventure but having trouble locating a good deal and this KTM came up so a change of plans is happening. I already stick her on the back of a rigid frame chopper I built so this 950 has to work for her too!!!
My wife's 5'10" and has no problem with the comfort of the loaded 950.

As far as the latches failing, personally I think it's a good design feature. They're strong enough to take pretty good hit, but anything more than that, then I think it's a better scenario for the bag to get knocked off and get bungied back on rather than get beat to hell while still remaining on the bike.

FWIW I have the topbox too, but use it mainly in local situations, as I have a fuel cell taking up that space on long trips. The topbox fits securely and is much more convenient than the side cases. I can fit any of my Arai (XL) helmets in it (although some inmates can't ). I don't have the back rest for it, but others have reported that it's not much use anyway.

Douf
Douf is offline   Reply With Quote