User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2006, 11:40 PM   #1
MarcDanz OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Pannier Rack Bolts

So as I get ready for Memorial Day in Porterille, I went to mount up the panniers I got with the 04 I bought last year.

really straighforward, until I went to replace the 4 vertical bolts that hold the rear rack to the subframe. (the countersunk allen-headed ones)

Somehow, the standoffs on the pannier racks are about 1cm longer than the standoffs on the grab handles - meaning I can't get the threads to catch.

Am I doing something wrong, or do I just need to go find new bolts?

07 Triumph Tiger "Montecore"
08 Ducati Hypermotard "Maude Gonne"
MarcDanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:54 PM   #2
mlemke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcDanz
So as I get ready for Memorial Day in Porterille, I went to mount up the panniers I got with the 04 I bought last year.

really straighforward, until I went to replace the 4 vertical bolts that hold the rear rack to the subframe. (the countersunk allen-headed ones)

Somehow, the standoffs on the pannier racks are about 1cm longer than the standoffs on the grab handles - meaning I can't get the threads to catch.

Am I doing something wrong, or do I just need to go find new bolts?
My racks (KTM" came with longer bolts.....all new bolts.
mlemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:13 AM   #3
Swashplate

Oddometer: 1,134
my 05 came with a new set of bolts. I do have a difficut time of lining up the right side rack. left side goes on just fine.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:55 AM   #4
FastEddieB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
I do have a difficut time of lining up the right side rack...
I, too, had a bear of a time getting both right side rack bolts threaded at the same time. Lots of prying (and swearing). Took a length of pipe and a second person to pry things into rough alignment to get both threaded, in spite of leaving all the other bolts loose.

Had no issue with bolt length thought.
FastEddieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:24 AM   #5
tucsonron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Same with me on the bolts when I put a new rack on (06). The bolts lengths are different and they were in so hard that they became stripped so I had to replace. I bought 80mm length countersunk bolts, that took care of the problem.
tucsonron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:52 AM   #6
MarcDanz OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
D'OOOH *smack*

So I gave up, and was putting all the parts away in the bag of stuff the seller gave me...

...and there was a ziploc with 4 longer bolts in it.

I'm missing the crossbar, but I'll make one out of conduit. Everything is mounted and ready to go.

*smack* *smack*

07 Triumph Tiger "Montecore"
08 Ducati Hypermotard "Maude Gonne"
MarcDanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:51 AM   #7
NothingClever
Dirt Winger

Oddometer: 1,097
I had the same problem and ended up having to completely unscrew the footpeg and side attachment bolts (the one that bolts horizontally into the subframe) so that I could put the 4 vertical bolts in first. Things lined up more easily that way. Also, coming in from underneath with a long allen wrench of almost the same diameter as the hole will help align things while you work the bolt in from the top.
NothingClever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:08 AM   #8
emelgee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
When you buy the pannier racks you'll get a full set of replacement bolts, slightly longer than the originals, as part of the fitting kit. They come in a sealed bag along with the fitting instructions, so if they're missing speak to the dealer who sold you the racks.
emelgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:26 AM   #9
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
The pannier racks are mass produced and need to be "adjusted" to fit each bike. I got tired of all of the fiddling one day and simply took everthing apart and bent to fit my bike perfectly. Now no sweat.
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:36 AM   #10
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,057
The KTM panniers are a much of a Joke as the bolts they suppy with the kit (typical touratech cost cutting practice)

Not much you can do about the racks, well at least you can bend them back by hand if you ever twist them (very probable) actually the cross brace is imperative to avoid geeting the bags to bend the racks inwards.

for the bolts you can get much better quality pretty much anyware from ACE hardware to a proper techical shop (I'm lucky I have pretty much the best bolt store about 2 milles away from my house...) even stainless will do since the loads are not that critical..