User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
llbaker OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
How do I lower DRZ400S seat height

I'm new to the DRZ and need some help. I like the bike but have a problem with the seat height. With a 30 inch (76 cm) inseam and a seat height of 37 inches (94 cm) I find that I am on my tip-toes all the time. I would like to get the seat height down to 32 inches or so (81cm). I am use to riding larger touring bikes like the Honda Gold Wing and like having good footing. I would like some advice on how to drastically lower the DRZ’s seat height. I have heard it might help to replace the tank and seat. Any ideas if this is a viable option and what brand of tank and seat would work. Is there anything else that can be done without spending a fortune to lower seat height (modifying suspension, etc.)? Your thoughts would be appreciated.
llbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:51 PM   #2
Mr.Grumpy
Banned

Oddometer: 2,439
did you buy the bike yet?
No, consider the SM version. It's a good deal lower than the dirt version, has better suspension components and comes in the black color that every one seems o want to change thier DRZs to any way. The only down side is that you'd need another front wheel, or set of wheels if you wanted to swap out dirt/street without changing a tire.
Mr.Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:56 PM   #3
llbaker OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Yep, bought the bike about a year ago but have only put about 1000 miles on it. Dont feel comfortable on it. If I cant lower the seat height to 32-34 inches I will most likely sell it.
llbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:01 PM   #4
ekaphoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
A couple things you can do. Easiest is to buy the gel seat that lowers things about an inch or so. You could also cut the stock seat down. Both of these options make the seat a pain in the ass, literly.

The best option is to get a kuba link for about $80.00 (cheaper than the gel seat) It is easy to install and works well. I installed one on a DR-Z once. Also you will need to raise the front forks a bit. The problem is the ingition gets in the way. I got some spacers and longer bolts from the hardware store for the ingition. Cost about $5.00 and 10 minutes to raise the ingition and raise the forks.

Congradulations on the bike.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,695
http://www.koubalink.com/

I have the gel seat on mine. I would say that lowers it about 2". I'm only 5'9" with ~31 inseam. It's a little tall but not a problem unless I get stopped on an off-camber slope in the woods or something. Are you riding it dirt or street?
To be blunt, just ride some more and get used to it. Shift to one side or another at stops if you need to.
I personally wouldn't want to mess with the suspension action or lose any ground clearance, but I ride mine mostly off-road.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:51 PM   #6
JPI
Noob ????

Oddometer: 80
read this first

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/tech/lowerseat/

Then go get your wifes electric craving knife and go to work, once you have a rough shape use a 14" sur-form and smooth and fine tune it the best you can.

At this point, I took the foam, pan & 35 bucks to the upholster and he then laid a thin layer of fabric over the foam and then applied a new cover

came out looking great
JPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:25 PM   #7
SScratch
Somewhat Tolerable

Oddometer: 1,580
I've got a gel seat for sale. It's at least a couple inches lower than the stock seat.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:27 PM   #8
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by llbaker
Yep, bought the bike about a year ago but have only put about 1000 miles on it. Dont feel comfortable on it. If I cant lower the seat height to 32-34 inches I will most likely sell it.
Sell it.

It is meant to be ridden in the dirt and if you lower it THAT much it's gonna lead to some changes. OTOH if you don't need the clearance and handling for off-road, then you don't need a DRZ. You are not supposed to have a flat footed "footing" on a dirt bike.

Lower the bike with a link in effect softens the spring through change in leverage, so to do it right a "linked" bike needs a new rear spring (unless you are way undeweight too). There are several "stages" of Kouba Link that make the bike progressively lower and make the leverage effect progressively more.

The best way to lower the front is actually to have the fork internals done, but that gets pricey. Sliding the forks helps some but if you do it a lot without modifying the fork internals, more than just the ignition switch can be an interference problem.

Thought if you are not riding it on anything rougher than a dirt road, you could indeed "motard" it and get it lower primarily via smaller wheels, as someone mentioned.

What do you use the bike for? Are you sure you need to drop it 5 inches? That is HUGE. One inch from a Kouba #1 in back and sliding the fork legs in front, plus an additional inche from de-foaming the seat, would get you 2" without major side effects on the bike, can you make do with that? Five inches lowering on a bike that has what about 12-14" travel to begin with, is big.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:32 PM   #9
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid
Sell it.

It is meant to be ridden in the dirt and if you lower it THAT much it's gonna lead to some changes. OTOH if you don't need the clearance and handling for off-road, then you don't need a DRZ. You are not supposed to have a flat footed "footing" on a dirt bike.

Lower the bike with a link in effect softens the spring through change in leverage, so to do it right a "linked" bike needs a new rear spring (unless you are way undeweight too). There are several "stages" of Kouba Link that make the bike progressively lower and make the leverage effect progressively more.

The best way to lower the front is actually to have the fork internals done, but that gets pricey. Sliding the forks helps some but if you do it a lot without modifying the fork internals, more than just the ignition switch can be an interference problem.

Thought if you are not riding it on anything rougher than a dirt road, you could indeed "motard" it and get it lower primarily via smaller wheels, as someone mentioned.

What do you use the bike for? Are you sure you need to drop it 5 inches? That is HUGE. One inch from a Kouba #1 in back and sliding the fork legs in front, plus an additional inche from de-foaming the seat, would get you 2" without major side effects on the bike, can you make do with that? Five inches lowering on a bike that has what about 12-14" travel to begin with, is big.
Sell it? Bull pucky!!!!! The stock seat height is probably around 35", 32" is not asking to much at all.

You can easily lower the bike to your comfort level. I have done this very recently with a KLX 250 for my wife who has a 29" inseam and she loves the bike. Do what JPI said and either order the gel seat from Corbin or modify your own seat, its not that hard. Then order a set of Kouba links for it, that alone will get you up to 1.75" in the rear. Then get some handlebar risers so that you can slide the forks deeper into the triple clamps which will match the front and rear heights. I'll post a few pics here to show you what we did to accomplish this.

First the seat height, we wanted the Corbin seat but as of yet, they dont make a seat for the '06 KLX 250 yet so I made some modifications myself. Heres a pic of the seat with the cover off and the lines to be cut already drawn on:
Attached Images

'06 VTX 1800 C (at least the flames are orange)

Nobiman screwed with this post 05-09-2006 at 06:00 PM
Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:37 PM   #10
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Heres the Kouba link pic. These take all of 15 minutes to install.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2006, 05:39 PM   #11
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

This is a pic of the bar risers. You can see how much further up that you can adjust the forks with this method.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2006, 05:57 PM   #12
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Now of course, as mentioned above, these mods will shorten your usable wheel travel but unless your an intermediate or above rider, this should have very little effect on the quality of your riding experience. It is always better to have a bike that is fit to you instead of trying to adapt to the bike, IMHO.

Feel free to PM me to clarify any specifics if needed.

Good luck, Randy.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:01 PM   #13
MNwilly
RIP, my friend...

Oddometer: 1,810
There are shorter DS bikes. I agree 100% do not lower the suspension. Try a lower seat, or buy a DR650 instead.
MNwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:07 PM   #14
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

They even look fine when ya get done. Here's the wifes 250 on the stand.

(32.5" seat height)
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2006, 12:27 AM   #15
dahenrymd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I have a DRZ and I am 5'7 and 132 lb (and 53 yrs). I lowered mine with a KoubaLink DRZ2 and gel seat, but I subseqently put it back to stock. I got more comfortable with the tiptoes after a few thousand miles, and I found the gel seat even more uncomfortable than the stock seat. I'd be happy to sell the seat and links for half of what I paid for them. PM me.

DAH
dahenrymd is offline   Reply With Quote