User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #4156
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,389
Richo,

Interesting problem, Ive had the following issue which may send you in the right direction?

Since I put in the rallye cam my bike has a dead spot below 5000rpm, have had a couple of cars with big cams and know how an engine feels when the cam cuts in but this is different. I have a switch on the low octane wire and noticed when its in retarded the problem is worse to the point the bike almost stops accelerating from 4500rpm, engine sounds off almost excessively rich until it hits 5000rpm when it clears up and pulls hard all the way through.

On my last ride (head cracked so off road now) I was playing with the switch and found that the problem would intermittently disappear for a short time after mucking with switch. Am now thinking when I changed the cam I damaged the switch and the cdi is getting mixed signals and stuffing up below 5000rpm?? (maybe the point where different timing curves change to one??). When I get the motor back together plan to hard wire cdi and see if its any better, if not will try and borrow a cdi to swap over and see if it resolves it.
Aussie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #4157
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=trussell;20850928]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richo360 View Post
Ok 640 owners, need some help with this is its really starting to piss me off.....

Going back to APC rally last year, the bike ran well, until (I thought) I picked up a bad batch of fuel at Birdsville. Started as a mild/occasional hesitation on constant throttle, say 4500rpm. Roll on the gas, no issue. It then became a pop/crackle/backfire again around mid range. Assumed bad fuel, drained carb and tank at Mungerannie, cleaned everything out, and problem seemed fixed, didn't recur again.

I have the same sort of problem. I can feel the bike miss every now and then, i have just had the bike dynotuned and all the jetting changed, float level etc adjusted. Got it back and still doing the same thing. It is not a consistent miss, sometimes wont happen for five minutes at constant speed and then it will happen every five or ten seconds. doesnt sound as harsh as richo's, but seems to be getting slowly worse. I am thinking the coil is starting to break down, what can be done to check it.

cheers

Truss
Truss, is yours the same with it only doing it high 4000rpm range or all over the place? There are resistance specs in the book for the coil but reckon Prestonpaul is more likely on the money. Why dont you try unscrewing the plug cap, checking its clean and shortening the lead by 10mm or so and seeing if it resolves it.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #4158
ditchwitch650
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
Thanks mate.

Have found a cheap source for new FCR41's will report back on it after I know its not a scam if you like. Am sick of old ones as I've bought 3 and only one of them was any good, others are worn out.

Why 625 headers?
that would be great if the carbs aren't a scam!

my brothers headers are shot and need replacing i have been told the 625 enduro that came stock with a pumper carb has bigger headers and will fit straight on

ditchwitch650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #4159
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Will see what happens with the carb and how complete it comes.

Fair enough with the headers if his is a low flow head, if its high flow they are all the same minus the rallye and twin muffler setups. Will be selling a complete OEM System and used Staintune in a while as I have a full Akrapovic coming.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:50 AM   #4160
ditchwitch650
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 764
Quote:

Fair enough with the headers if his is a low flow head, if its high flow they are all the same minus the rallye and twin muffler setups. Will be selling a complete OEM System and used Staintune in a while as I have a full Akrapovic coming.
his is and 04 adv high flow i'm pretty sure i got him a leo vince slip on a while ago from austria but his headers are rotten in a couple of places let me know when you looking to off load your headers

ditchwitch650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #4161
LeglessOne
Baiter of OldDog

Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonpaul View Post
I've had the same issue, changing the spark plug cap fixed mine
X2

Moisture penetrated the top of the cap where it screws onto the lead and had the green death.

Cleaned up with metho and a stiff brush (wasn't sure if contact cleaner might stuff the plastic) cut back the lead screw in and put some lanolin spray on before pushing the boot back down.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #4162
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:

Steve;
Where did you find the Akro??
Caribooster just bought another 640 that has the full Akro and it is gorgeous! Now I want one!!

I'd be interested in the FCR also, but shipping to Canada might kill the deal.
Locally a new FCR is about $650 from Sudco.

Cheers
Old 03-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #4163
richo360
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeglessOne View Post
X2

Moisture penetrated the top of the cap where it screws onto the lead and had the green death.

Cleaned up with metho and a stiff brush (wasn't sure if contact cleaner might stuff the plastic) cut back the lead screw in and put some lanolin spray on before pushing the boot back down.
Surely though if it was a spark plug cap issue, it would break down and backfire at all revs? And it starts of fairly fine, gets worse over a few kilometers.

As i mentioned, it also runs 100% above about 5000rpm...... 4th gear at 100kmh it has no issues at all. Drop it under those sort of revs and it makes all the local dogs bark.

Will snip the lead and put a new cap on it though, also check plug again, all of which cant hurt.

Keep the suggestions coming.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #4164
angryad
Don't drop the soap.

Oddometer: 1,440
hey guys, does anyone know if KTM makes a coolant overflow bottle for the 640? i only just realises the overflow tube goes to the frame, and ends! lol.

if someone has a part number, that would be great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pQk4k_xXC3k
angryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #4165
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleGra View Post
Whats inside your LC4...

Uncle Gra
How many kays has your bike done and what did everything look like? I am going to do the same to mine, partcularly afetr dunking it last week.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #4166
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,860
Sprocket sizes

Oi, what sprocket/gearing are you guys running?

My 07 625sxc has 16/42. I think I had 16/44 previously, but not certain.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:53 AM   #4167
Young-Gun
KTM Tragic

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleGra View Post
..so a new rim and use current spokes and hub..no cush hub...
What model bike do you have that doesn't come with the cush hub? pics?
KTM 625SXC - Adventure bike (project)
GPS and other items for sale
Young-Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:30 AM   #4168
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Steve;
Where did you find the Akro??
Caribooster just bought another 640 that has the full Akro and it is gorgeous! Now I want one!!

I'd be interested in the FCR also, but shipping to Canada might kill the deal.
Locally a new FCR is about $650 from Sudco.

Cheers
Dropta,

Akro from here:- http://www.ktmax.de/show_product.php?products_id=479

Make sure you get the right one for your carb.

If you are looking for cheap prices in Australia you are seriously off track.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #4169
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Dropta,

Akro from here:- http://www.ktmax.de/show_product.php?products_id=479

Make sure you get the right one for your carb.

If you are looking for cheap prices in Australia you are seriously off track.

Thanks Steve...........just trying to find a source if I can't locate a pipe in North America.

I'm still interested in an FCR.

Cheers
Old 03-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #4170
trussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
[QUOTE=Aussie Steve;20851988]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trussell View Post

Truss, is yours the same with it only doing it high 4000rpm range or all over the place? There are resistance specs in the book for the coil but reckon Prestonpaul is more likely on the money. Why dont you try unscrewing the plug cap, checking its clean and shortening the lead by 10mm or so and seeing if it resolves it.

thx Steve,

will give the lead a chop and see what happens. it seems to happen in the low rev range, i am running 16/42 gearing atm, and happens quite often sitting around 100kph, i dont have a tacho, but am thinking it would be around or below the 5g mark.

truss
trussell is offline   Reply With Quote