User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2006, 11:31 AM   #1
S Won OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
BMW R1200GS Adventure with a sidecar?

I am considering a new BMW1200GS Adventure as my next bike. Currently, I have a 2005 KTM 950 Adventure S. My doctors have told me that I should quit riding motorcycles, due to a heart condition I have. I'm ok to drive cages but I'm bucking against the whole idea of giving up bikes. In a last ditch effort to keep riding, I'm considering going to a sidecar rig. The KTM is just too light and is to much of an off-road bike to handle a sidecar, IMHO. The company that I want to do the conversion says it's possible to convert the KTM but I would need to send it arcross the country to them. I think the BWM would be a better option for me. More fuel capacity, plush suspension, and the big one, the company already does mounts for the BMWs so the mounts are already available. My KTM would be the prototype. Besides the KTM is basically sold. The picture below is what I want. The difference is, I want the new BMW R1200GSA model. They will also mount a rear BMW wheel on the sidecar so only two different tires would be required, instead of 3. They use Ural sidecars and are a Ural dealer. The conversion will be around 7k dollars plus extras. Adding in the cost of the new bike and it's still cheaper than a Goldwing trike or the sportscar I want. My wife and daughter are all for it! They have always wanted me to get a sidecar. Please don't tell me to just get a Ural. I may do that anyway! You can never have too many, right!

A few thoughts: The big BMW should offer the load carrying capacity of a truck! Extra fuel should be no problem. The sidecar has a trunk for gear. More stuff can be carried on the bike's rack and the sidecar racks. I might carry an extra custom aluminum fuel tank located between the bike and the sidecar in place of the right pannier and a second Ural fuel tank on the side of the sidecar. I could even carry 2 Ural fuel cans, one in front and one on the rear! I've seen it done.

I guess my question is: Will the new BMW R1200GSA be a good bike for this. I have sold or I'm in the process of selling most of my other toys. So, it really isn't a question of money! That's probably a good thing! This is going to cost me BIG $$$. A used bike really isn't my cup of tea. I don't like to go used! Most of my bikes are purchased new and I like the new BMW. My bikes have always been my main mode of transportation. I don't have big new trucks and all that. My '77 Toyota FJ-40 Land Cruiser is up for sale and we have an old Dodge Neon commuter car that both the wife and I use. We have a Liberty family wagon, it mainly sits. So, as you can see this is going to be my main form of travel just like my 950 was for the past year.

Thanks for any help!

S Won

I want to do this! Well maybe not this extreme! The only difference is, I want to do it with a sidecar! Another upside to all this is, there is a much better chance that I won't dump the thing off-road if it has 3 wheels!
S Won is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:35 PM   #2
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,307
Do It..do It Now

I've got no experience with sidecars but that GS 1150 rig looks vay cool..Keep us posted if you decide to go for it.
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:04 PM   #3
dronning
TNT -The Naked Truth

Oddometer: 585
2005 R1200 GS sidehack - Liberty sidecar

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...hlight=Sidecar
This one has a 2005 r1200 GS mated to a side hack VERY nice indeed.

Dave
BMWMOA #120588
My WebSite
My Photo Gallery
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv,'98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman (125 ZunDapp), '53 Panhead

Past bikes: It all started with a 1967 BRIDGESTONE 175 HURRICANE SCRAMBLER

dronning screwed with this post 05-10-2006 at 01:06 PM Reason: added image
dronning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:04 PM   #4
dolomiti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Won

Is the company that you are talking to the one that builds this set-up? If so, I am interested in checking them out. This may be the answer to lugging kidder or dog(a brittany) around with me. It seems safe then using my Dakar.
dolomiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:11 PM   #5
rideLD
The further the better!

Oddometer: 5,261
How would riding a bike put more strain on your heart than driving a cage?

I only take medical advice from my doctor not lifestyle advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
rideLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:12 PM   #6
retroone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Won
I am considering a new BMW1200GS Adventure as my next bike. Currently, I have a 2005 KTM 950 Adventure S. My doctors have told me that I should quit riding motorcycles, due to a heart condition I have. I'm ok to drive cages but I'm bucking against the whole idea of giving up bikes. In a last ditch effort to keep riding, I'm considering going to a sidecar rig. The KTM is just too light and is to much of an off-road bike to handle a sidecar, IMHO. The company that I want to do the conversion says it's possible to convert the KTM but I would need to send it arcross the country to them. I think the BWM would be a better option for me. More fuel capacity, plush suspension, and the big one, the company already does mounts for the BMWs so the mounts are already available. My KTM would be the prototype. Besides the KTM is basically sold. The picture below is what I want. The difference is, I want the new BMW R1200GSA model. They will also mount a rear BMW wheel on the sidecar so only two different tires would be required, instead of 3. They use Ural sidecars and are a Ural dealer. The conversion will be around 7k dollars plus extras. Adding in the cost of the new bike and it's still cheaper than a Goldwing trike or the sportscar I want. My wife and daughter are all for it! They have always wanted me to get a sidecar. Please don't tell me to just get a Ural. I may do that anyway! You can never have too many, right!

A few thoughts: The big BMW should offer the load carrying capacity of a truck! Extra fuel should be no problem. The sidecar has a trunk for gear. More stuff can be carried on the bike's rack and the sidecar racks. I might carry an extra custom aluminum fuel tank located between the bike and the sidecar in place of the right pannier and a second Ural fuel tank on the side of the sidecar. I could even carry 2 Ural fuel cans, one in front and one on the rear! I've seen it done.

I guess my question is: Will the new BMW R1200GSA be a good bike for this. I have sold or I'm in the process of selling most of my other toys. So, it really isn't a question of money! That's probably a good thing! This is going to cost me BIG $$$. A used bike really isn't my cup of tea. I don't like to go used! Most of my bikes are purchased new and I like the new BMW. My bikes have always been my main mode of transportation. I don't have big new trucks and all that. My '77 Toyota FJ-40 Land Cruiser is up for sale and we have an old Dodge Neon commuter car that both the wife and I use. We have a Liberty family wagon, it mainly sits. So, as you can see this is going to be my main form of travel just like my 950 was for the past year.

Thanks for any help!

S Won

I want to do this! Well maybe not this extreme! The only difference is, I want to do it with a sidecar! Another upside to all this is, there is a much better chance that I won't dump the thing off-road if it has 3 wheels!
Go for it !!!! You will have the bad ass side car of all side cars rigs. Use the two wheel drive Ural frame and have some one lay the shock down for more travel.
retroone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:17 PM   #7
Meathead
tin man

Oddometer: 16,656
ADV's BeemerChef just mounted one of these on his R1100GS for haulin' his pooch around with him. Details are here somewhere, but I don't have time to look for 'em right now. He doesn't post much, so a peek at his recent posts would probably put you on it quickly.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:51 PM   #8
Hi_Fi_Guy
Teutonic Terror

Oddometer: 650
Not sure about the original poster but my father was banned from motorbikes & the like due to interference between the ignition pulses and his defibrillator/pacemaker. The docs wanted him to be separated by a firewall or bodywork. He isn't even supposed to open the hood of a running car.

ADV relay rider: Arizona, California, Nevada
Hi_Fi_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:11 PM   #9
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,067
I'll trade you my Ural for your 950. DOH that's right you said you wanted a MOTORCYCLE with a side car. Sorry.

Here is a good place to check. http://www.adventuresidecar.com/ he would be a good source for information on exactly what you are thinking of.

Ride Safe, Ride different!

Marc

Lomax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:15 PM   #10
MountainClimber
Snipe

Oddometer: 467
Why not a Ural Patrol or Gear up and save 15 grand?
Old 05-10-2006, 04:00 PM   #11
TonyA
beta tester

Oddometer: 1,159

I met the owner and saw that bike at the recent GS open house here. I recognize the pic from the Dauntless web page. It's amazing looking in person, and almost as wide as a stock 1200GSA.

Another part of the conversion you don't see is the 3.43 final drive ratio he had them put in. He doesn't need or want to go fast. He does complain about all the shifting he has to do. I'm pretty sure he said he tried the original FD but hated it. I probably would have gone to a 3.2 myself.

He said he's invested over forty grand into that machine.

OK, I won't tell you to "just get a Ural", since you insist.

"Master and Commander", Patrick O'Brian
IBA 31991
TonyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:06 PM   #12
Lupin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
I think it's a kick ass idea! You can be the first one on the planet with one! :)
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:19 PM   #13
MaddBrit
Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer: 23,397
GREAT IDEA!!!!!!

I have the new 1200 GSA and I'm sure it would make a kick ass rig!

Just DO IT!!!!!!!

(and share some pics when you have OK).

Old 05-10-2006, 06:13 PM   #14
ketchup57
Fundamentally Weird

Oddometer: 402
Just my .02 on the Ural idea - I got one for my wife - she loves it and I have been using it when the roads are snow covered. I decided I like it so much that I am now dreaming of getting a 12GSA for my daily rider and getting a Ural sidecar to use with the 12GS.

also check out this link for more info on that really nice red and yellow set up from Liberty sidecars
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=sidecar

"Well done ketchup - I don't recall anyone missing the point quite so comprehensively..." - MikeO

05 Yamaha Majesty - ADV Scooter
04 Ural Troyka - ADV Hack
05 BMW 1200 GS - ADV Bike
ketchup57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:30 PM   #15
S Won OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Wow, you guys are pretty cool on here. I've been on the OC for a long time. Most of the time the KTM & BMW guys are at odds with each other. I suppose getting a convert over to the other side is a good thing, huh! I was expecting some negative comments. The BMW R1200GSA is a great bike. I have always wanted an 1150 Adventure. Ewan and Charlie clinched that! The new 1200GSA seems like a much better bike. I don't have any experience with them though! It seems like it would be perfect for a sidecar.

Quote:
Posted by:rc46
How would riding a bike put more strain on your heart than driving a cage?

I only take medical advice from my doctor not lifestyle advice.
Well, it's not the strain that I have a problem with! I have a cardio defibulator. Mine is one of the newer models that is isolated from the electrical signals, so I'm good there. I have been told not to cut grass anymore, use a weedeater or a chainsaw! Who else is going to do it? Was my question to them then! Now, they're telling me that street riding is out! Trackdays and dirtbikes are ok. I could even dragrace if I wanted. My doctor is a great guy and I value his opinion a great deal. I would, and have trusted him with my life. He only deals with the electrical side of heart problems and is one of the best in the country. Yes, here in West Virginia. I know it's hard to believe but we have a great research hospital here at WVU. West Virginia really isn't the podunkville that most beleive it is. My defibulator has been recalled by the company that built it (I think they're in California) and the Federal Government, but it hasn't given me any trouble, so far. The problem is that if it goes off to save my life and I'm in a big sweeper, more than likely I'm going down! Potentially, it could be life threatening instead of life saving. This is a risk we all take daily and I understand that, but it's just a matter of time for me. The odds are not in my favor here. It will happen! Unless you have one of these in your chest and have taken a hit, (for lack of a better term and that's what it feels like) I don't expect you to understand. My problem is electro-chemical. I do not have heart disease, as in blockages, high chloesterol, etc... I'm in perfect health except for the bad arrythmias I have and go into. I've been flatlined 3 times on the table! Not cool! Big magnets are not good for me either! As in MRI. My normal heartrate at rest without my medication is 150 beats per minute. I lived with that for 40 years. They told me it was a miracle I lasted that long. The sidecar will give me enough stability to maintain control of the bike. The bike will need a sterring stabilizer though. Ironically, I just installed one on my new KTM 950.

If someone told you there was a 100% possibility that someday, you were going to take a shock by a device like this, while you were on a bike but couldn't tell you when. What would you do? 300 jewels hurts! Ask me how I know! Thankfully, I was asleep. It woke me up and I mean seriously woke me up! Right now, hit by a truck awake! I'm not trying to be smart, I'm just explaining it! Most people have never heard of V-Fibulation or V-Tachyacardia. I have both and both are life threatening. Much more less than 1% of the population have this. My doctors have only seen it twice before in over 15 years.

You remember the Bionic Man, I'm bionic too but it doesn't make me faster or see better! My implant only costs as much as a new Dodge Viper, so they call me the 100 Thousand Dollar Man. My wife gets a big kick out of that!

Ok, back to the bike. I have always wanted a Ural. I may get one but I really want something to tour on and take off-road. The BMW seems like it would be much better for that! My wife is awesome and understands my illness. She has already oked the purchase of the new BMW, not that I need her permission. I do like to have her support though! We're getting ready to building a new house right now, so I'll probably be waiting until next year to get the new bike.

Thanks for the positive feedback!

S Won
S Won is offline   Reply With Quote