User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2006, 09:54 PM   #1
F=ma OP
Deceleration is Dangerous

Oddometer: 63
New 950 Owner

I just picked up a '06 950, it currently has 325 miles on it. I was hoping to ask a few questions:

1.Do most people rejet these that live at around 1000ft ( Phoenix )? The bike is popping and the heads are blueing. ( However it always runs at 5 bars ).

2.I read somewhere about leaving the bike in the sun? I left mine out and it would start, but the second I try to engage the clutch it would quit. Pushed it inside, now its working fine. Operator Error: D'Oh kick stand wasn't all the way up

Welll that's all for now.. I suppose I need to do the cannister thing or figure out how to correct the problem when the bike gets laid over. No, it hasn't been down yet

F=ma screwed with this post 05-11-2006 at 02:20 PM Reason: Operator Error
F=ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:18 PM   #2
hawgu82
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Hi, congrats on the new bike. soon you will learn the little quirks and get along better with it. popping on deceleration is normal due to the cat. converter and sas .. these bikes hold a lot of fuel which can expand a great deal in the heat. unless your heading out on a long ride you should only fill 3/4 full for awhile and see if that gives you less problems. i have also started shutting off the fuel valve and letting it run briefly before shutdown as to keep the fuel from expanding into the carbs, [hydrolock] so far this has helped. note that if you put the bike in gear with the kickstand down it will kill the engine. keep the idle at 1400 to 1500 rpm. don't even worry about re-jetting for 1000 ft. read threads on evap. canister removal or have your dealer do it as this gives too many driveability chitfits.. you will be fine with the sas, but gutting or replacing the mufflers to get rid of the heat will do wonders for the way the bike runs. my bike seems to like getting out and running hard verses putting around town and grocery gettin'. it takes awhile but you'll get used to it and love it. cheers ---Mark--
hawgu82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:56 PM   #3
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,280
Watch out for those stock tires on the dirt -- a little bit squirrely! You'll get used to the extra weight if you're coming from a smaller bike. I know, I did!
motowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:58 PM   #4
Ignore Amos
bruised, dazed & confused

Oddometer: 981
Welcome to the 950 fold....

But what happend to the 06 640? trade it in??? Maybe we can compare some notes as I've got my 950 running pretty sweet (except at 9500 ft at Cloudcroft were it was missing bladly towards the end...) There's a number of other 950 guys outa Phx you should prolly get to know who have thier bike dialed in as well and are good dirt oriented riders...

07 BMW 1200 GS Adventure
07 KTM 950R Super Enduro
08 KTM 530 XCWR
09 BMW G450X

BITD 066
AMRA 54S
SCORE 22X
Ignore Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:13 AM   #5
Goldhelocks
You had me at "2 wheels"

Oddometer: 190
Stalling?

Humm stalling huh? Did you put the kickstand up? Took me a time or two to figure out that there was a kill switch that engaged when you let out the cluch when the kickstand is down. (Rookie mistake I'm sure made by many more than just a few of us).

Goldhelocks
Goldhelocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:44 AM   #6
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 18,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignore Amos
But what happend to the 06 640? trade it in??? Maybe we can compare some notes as I've got my 950 running pretty sweet (except at 9500 ft at Cloudcroft were it was missing bladly towards the end...) There's a number of other 950 guys outa Phx you should prolly get to know who have thier bike dialed in as well and are good dirt oriented riders...
Ignore Amos: What the hell ever happened to your bike up in Cloudcroft, anyway? Glad to hear it's running better. Why don't you come on up to Moab this weekend and ride the White Rim with me? I have a brand new pair of D606s on my bike just waiting to hit the dirt. I told RhinoRear already that anybody who rode with our group at Cloudcroft gets free beer when they get up my way! ((No, not all of you sluts, especially not those guys from Texas! )
unaweep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:15 PM   #7
Ignore Amos
bruised, dazed & confused

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep
Ignore Amos: What the hell ever happened to your bike up in Cloudcroft, anyway? Glad to hear it's running better. Why don't you come on up to Moab this weekend and ride the White Rim with me? I have a brand new pair of D606s on my bike just waiting to hit the dirt. I told RhinoRear already that anybody who rode with our group at Cloudcroft gets free beer when they get up my way! ((No, not all of you sluts, especially not those guys from Texas! )

Moab....tempting, very tempting.....If I could take a rain check? Still dealing w/ some dizzyness (more than my normal dizzyness) resulting from a concussion I recieved from my little fall towards the end of the ride...had a CT yesterday and getting some xrays today..maybe some damage to my shoulder/ribs that I've been ignoring...typical guy reaction...others to me after fall: You Ok? Me: sure, fine- couldn't feel better, as I almost passout from the stabbing feeling in my chest and stars in my eyes...but I'd still like to do the WRT before it gets too hot... sorry for the thread Hijack.

07 BMW 1200 GS Adventure
07 KTM 950R Super Enduro
08 KTM 530 XCWR
09 BMW G450X

BITD 066
AMRA 54S
SCORE 22X
Ignore Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:18 PM   #8
F=ma OP
Deceleration is Dangerous

Oddometer: 63
Hi All, Thanks for the replies

The 640 went to my brother; so at least I can visit it sometimes, but I'm already missing it. :) I got the 950 in a wacky 3 way trade. I also ended up with a 501 Hussaberg. In the end I'll have the Super Enduro and hope its somewhere between the two ( the 640 and the 940 that is, the Hussaberg is a complete lightweight ). I'm already getting used to big bike comfort and that's great, dirt roads have never felt so relaxed. What I'm not used to is less suspension. I am also learning that with the extra weight, less suspension and subtle horse power, the beast is unforgiving in high speed situations. So far its always come back to me, but I worry.

Yes, it seems I wasn't putting the kick stand up all the way..

Stock tires, yes, very slick in the dirt, but great for throttle turrning.

Wel.. since the thread is wrecked anyway , my 640 never blubbered, just was gutless and didn't want to idle at 9500 ft.. fortunately for electric start I was able to mask some of my stalling.
F=ma is offline   Reply With Quote