User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2006, 05:08 PM   #1
Tautog27 OP
KLX250S

Oddometer: 15
Question Kick Start for new KLX250S?

Alright dual sport yoda's. I recently bought a 06 KLX250S and have a few questions. First, I noticed that the case has been stamped with "kick start," and had a freeze plug where the actual kick start should be. The question is, can I add a factory kick-start to the bike? I love the electric start, but it would be nice to have as a back-up if the battery failed. Second, I still in this misrable (500 / 800 mile) break-in period, but have already noticed that I would like a little lower of a first gear. Overall the gearing is great, but there is a great deal of riding / burning the clutch when you get in the tight stuff. Is it possible to simply change the rear ring? I know, typical newbee question, but I would sure appreciate any advice on the two matters. Thanks, Ross
Tautog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
KYwoodsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tautog27
Alright dual sport yoda's. I recently bought a 06 KLX250S and have a few questions. First, I noticed that the case has been stamped with "kick start," and had a freeze plug where the actual kick start should be. The question is, can I add a factory kick-start to the bike? I love the electric start, but it would be nice to have as a back-up if the battery failed. Second, I still in this misrable (500 / 800 mile) break-in period, but have already noticed that I would like a little lower of a first gear. Overall the gearing is great, but there is a great deal of riding / burning the clutch when you get in the tight stuff. Is it possible to simply change the rear ring? I know, typical newbee question, but I would sure appreciate any advice on the two matters. Thanks, Ross
check out the link Long term KLX250S review under the Thumpers catagory. Everything you need to know.
I can't help with the kickstart issue but I agree with the gearing. I changed to a 13 tooth CS and it helped quite a bit in the woods but didn't really hurt me on the street too much. The front spocket on the KLX is kind on unique. It has rubber collars on the sides to keep chain noise down and a shoulder on the case side. The front sprocket for a Honda XR650L will work and you can keep the same chain. You can use the larger rear sprocket but I think the stock chain will be too short.
KYwoodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:02 AM   #3
Tautog27 OP
KLX250S

Kick Start for new KLX250S

KYwoodsrider,

Did you do the work yourself? Were the spockets, dealer purchased or online somewhere? Does Kawasaki ofter these parts, it sounds like you have found the solution to my problem? Have you made it through the wretched break-in period yet, I can barely take-it! I'm sure you have had the fleeting thought when you were way out in the woods, about the life-expectancy of that battery, hopefully I can get some info on that kick-start. Thanks for your help! Ross
Old 05-11-2006, 07:47 AM   #4
HIaltrider
n00b

Oddometer: 4
if you go to the kawasaki site, and lookup under parts it shows all the components for the kick starter. not cheap though. bikebandit lists the klx250s know
HIaltrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:23 AM   #5
Tautog27 OP
KLX250S

Sweet, Thanks!
Old 05-11-2006, 09:04 AM   #6
Tautog27 OP
KLX250S

HIaltrider,

Could you give me some direction on where to find the kick-start on the Kawasaki web site, I've searched and searched with no luck. Thanks, Ross
Old 05-11-2006, 09:11 AM   #7
KYwoodsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
KYwoodsrider,

Did you do the work yourself? Were the spockets, dealer purchased or online somewhere? Does Kawasaki ofter these parts, it sounds like you have found the solution to my problem? Have you made it through the wretched break-in period yet, I can barely take-it! I'm sure you have had the fleeting thought when you were way out in the woods, about the life-expectancy of that battery, hopefully I can get some info on that kick-start. Thanks for your help! Ross
I bought the CS from Dennis Kirk. You can change it yourself. The nut is difficult to get loose the first time. You have to bend back the metal locking tab, leave the chain on, put the bike in gear, put your foot on the rear brake and break the nut loose with a long ratchet. It is nice to have a new locking tab for the install but you can use the old one.

As far as break in; I kept it below 4000 rpm for the first 100 miles and changed the oil. I kept it below 6000 rpm for the next 100 miles and then rode it like I wanted to. I changed the oil and filter at 600miles
Old 05-11-2006, 09:11 AM   #8
KYwoodsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
KYwoodsrider,

I bought the CS from Dennis Kirk. You can change it yourself. The nut is difficult to get loose the first time. You have to bend back the metal locking tab, leave the chain on, put the bike in gear, put your foot on the rear brake and break the nut loose with a long ratchet. It is nice to have a new locking tab for the install but you can use the old one.

As far as break in; I kept it below 4000 rpm for the first 100 miles and changed the oil. I kept it below 6000 rpm for the next 100 miles and then rode it like I wanted to. I changed the oil and filter at 600miles
Old 05-11-2006, 12:05 PM   #9
Tautog27 OP
KLX250S

KYwoodsrider,

Do you recall the tooth count on the sprocket that you down sized, and who or what is Dennis Kirk? I think I'm going to try your break-in method, it sounds substaintally more argreeable. FYI, I went by the dealer at lunch @ the kick-start, he said $450.00 for the parts only and that he wasen't even sure it would work, additionally, there have been internal engine modifications for the 06; his suggestion was to wait a little while, to see what might come out. Thanks for your help, Ross
Old 05-11-2006, 05:47 PM   #10
KYwoodsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
KYwoodsrider,

Do you recall the tooth count on the sprocket that you down sized, and who or what is Dennis Kirk? I think I'm going to try your break-in method, it sounds substaintally more argreeable. FYI, I went by the dealer at lunch @ the kick-start, he said $450.00 for the parts only and that he wasen't even sure it would work, additionally, there have been internal engine modifications for the 06; his suggestion was to wait a little while, to see what might come out. Thanks for your help, Ross
I buy most of my aftermarket stuff from www.denniskirk.com or www.rockymountianatv.com The front sprocket I bought was a 13 tooth (stock is 14). Part #8096313. It is actually for a Honda XR650L. No one has been able to find the exact replacement sprocket at this time but the XR sprocket will work. I was able to find out this info from the KLX Long Term Review.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:38 PM   #11
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYwoodsrider
... put the bike in gear, put your foot on the rear brake and break the nut loose with a long ratchet.
DO NOT put the bike in gear. The chain & brake are holding it anyway. There are conflicting arguments about whether there is actually any possibility of hurting you trans or engine by maybe spinning it a bit the wrong way while wrenching, but why take the risk. When putting a big long wrench on the shaft nut, the mere resistance of the engine through the trans won't hold it anyway.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #12
Hurricane Mountain
Strominator

Oddometer: 125
Not in gear, that's asking for trouble

Actually you should use an impact wrench on this kind of fastener. Either an electric or pneumatic impact device. I'd do it with the gear box in neutral. And putting it in gear might not hurt the bike buy why would you want to risk it? The gear box was not designed to tolerate that kind of torque.

Hurricane Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #13
jb7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I ordered the kickstarter kit from Ron Ayers Motorsports, part #99999-0073,
KIT, KICK STARTER. $265.94 plus $20.00 shipping.

jb7
jb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #14
jb7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
More kickstarter info here.

http://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_101872/tm.htm
jb7 is offline   Reply With Quote